Trying to find out wether or not the K2 or K2LE is better for use on AT&T. I've read that the K2 has more LTE bands. But then I read it may have questionable sound quality, and it may lack VoLTE.

How's the K2LE on AT&T? Any more AT&T feature's supported (WiFi calling, VVM, etc) than with K2?
    stephenabm likes this.
    03-25-19 06:33 PM
    Trying to find out wether or not the K2 or K2LE is better for use on AT&T. I've read that the K2 has more LTE bands. But then I read it may have questionable sound quality, and it may lack VoLTE.

How's the K2LE on AT&T? Any more AT&T feature's supported (WiFi calling, VVM, etc) than with K2?
    Both work perfectly fine on AT&T. But don't expect enhanced features with either.
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-25-19 06:48 PM

If you have a carrier locked device on ATT, stick with what you have. That will be the best experience available for you at this time. No LTE-A, no WiFi calling, and no VoLTE (which you currently DO have).

When you make your first phone call, you will hear the difference immediately. No "wideband" / HD audio. Your SIM will go right back into your KeyOne.
    03-25-19 07:05 PM
    As others have stated... no Enhanced Features with the KEY2 on AT&T... However, Visual Voice Mail is available.

I do notice the difference in call quality in comparison to my AT&T branded PRIV which had VoLTE. Still, I am very happy with my KEY2 on AT&T... no issues with dropped calls and signal strength is very solid.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending using a KEY2 on AT&T.

Bob
    03-25-19 08:17 PM
    Does VoLTE only affect call quality or does it also affect the ability to get coverage? I don't mind missing out of VoLTE if it's just call quality but if there are VolTE ONLY areas meaning I get NO bars and can't connect a call where a VoLTE person standing next to me can easily make a call, that's a bigger issue.
    03-26-19 06:56 AM
    Does VoLTE only affect call quality or does it also affect the ability to get coverage? I don't mind missing out of VoLTE if it's just call quality but if there are VolTE ONLY areas meaning I get NO bars and can't connect a call where a VoLTE person standing next to me can easily make a call, that's a bigger issue.
    VoLTE is a voice call using data. In areas with limited data throughput, it uses the traditional 3G/4G architecture.

VoLTE "enables" hi-def audio. Traditional 3G/4G circuit/packet-switched calls sound more distant, muddy and muffled.

Many people, myself included, have gotten used to VoLTE; being without it sounds like making a cellular call 3-4 years ago.

You should note that most carriers (incl AT&T) have dramatically improved their networks over time. At the same time, handset technology from both the hardware and software perspectives have also improved. As a result, while dropped calls do very occasionally happen, they are much more rare than they used to be.

As a side note, VoLTE controls whether your phone switches from "4G LTE" to "4G" or even "3G" for data while in a phone call. VoLTE-enabled devices remain on 4G LTE during calls.
    Last edited by IceCreamPlz; 03-26-19 at 09:43 AM.
    03-26-19 07:21 AM