I'd spend a pretty penny for a pkb device with flagship specs. High-end camera, top processor and GPU, water resistance, wireless charging, stereo speakers and higher quality screen. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.
    07-14-18 02:00 PM
    I'd spend a pretty penny for a pkb device with flagship specs. High-end camera, top processor and GPU, water resistance, wireless charging, stereo speakers and higher quality screen. I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one.
    Sure, but are there enough of us?

The KEY² will be a good test of the higher end price sensitivity.
    07-14-18 02:05 PM
    Regarding price / hardware specs / features....simply put key2 price tag is too high.....people who adopt the rationale yeah put 845 soc and improve camera = $799....what planet u live....EVEN if that was the case (which it is not) the majority of consumers would buy sammy or pixel or iphone......so your logic is out the window.....meanwhile consumers can pick up a oneplus 6 mi max3 pro etc for way under the price tag of the key2....in short....in today's market the key2 has fumbled with price tag / quality and features it provides....its an INFERIOR product with a ludicrous price tag for the general consumer!!!! That simple....for the BB lover pls go a head and knock yourself out....

BB Classic Q20 sent via CB 10
    Fred Wu and the_boon like this.
    07-14-18 02:07 PM
    @zer0ten, this form-factor is not going to win over anyone that doesn't already have a penchant for physical keyboards.

The best BlackBerry Mobile will ever do is to tap into the former keyboard users and maybe come away with 10% of them.

That would be about 8 million people - replacing devices about every 2 years or so.
    Exactly.
    the_boon likes this.
    07-14-18 02:13 PM
    Regarding price / hardware specs / features....simply put key2 price tag is too high.....people who adopt the rationale yeah put 845 soc and improve camera = $799....what planet u live....EVEN if that was the case (which it is not) the majority of consumers would buy sammy or pixel or iphone......so your logic is out the window.....meanwhile consumers can pick up a oneplus 6 mi max3 pro etc for way under the price tag of the key2....in short....in today's market the key2 has fumbled with price tag / quality and features it provides....its an INFERIOR product with a ludicrous price tag for the general consumer!!!! That simple....for the BB lover pls go a head and knock yourself out....

They don't have a choice.

Their entire overhead has to be distributed over only 1-2 million devices a year.

Their component prices are high, as they are rather unique, and they get no quantity discounts. They have support, distribution, and sales infrastructure in over 50 markets around the world.

But you are correct in the sense that if the physical keyboard (and the added security) isn't a massive factor for you, then it would seem ludicrous when compared to a OnePlus 6 or something.
    07-14-18 02:19 PM
    Slab phones are just Boring. At least with the K2 you get something different and the PKB to customize and bring some accuracy and length to our messaging and emails. I always find myself typing longer on the PKB.
    07-14-18 02:20 PM
    Does anyone actually work on their phones any more? Youtube and emojis? Are you serious? I need a phone that makes great phone calls, on which I can type on fairly long e-mails, and has a good calendar. iPhones SUCK at all of those things. I used one for years (before a friend at AT&T recommended a Z10), my wife still uses one. Every time she's driving and asks me to respond to a text message for her I can't type on the thing. It is horrific. The last Android I used was a Galaxy S3 and it SUCKED at all of those things too. So yeah, if you don't have a job and just sit around watching videos and sending emojis all day then a Key2 is not for you. For those of us funding your food stamps, it'll work just fine thank you.
    07-14-18 02:41 PM
    Does anyone actually work on their phones any more? Youtube and emojis? Are you serious? I need a phone that makes great phone calls, on which I can type on fairly long e-mails, and has a good calendar. iPhones SUCK at all of those things. I used one for years (before a friend at AT&T recommended a Z10), my wife still uses one. Every time she's driving and asks me to respond to a text message for her I can't type on the thing. It is horrific. The last Android I used was a Galaxy S3 and it SUCKED at all of those things too. So yeah, if you don't have a job and just sit around watching videos and sending emojis all day then a Key2 is not for you. For those of us funding your food stamps, it'll work just fine thank you.
    You would be an excellent spokesperson for BlackBerry back in 2010.
    07-14-18 02:49 PM
    It can't be the phone he wants unless he is prepared to pay north of $800 - which he also strongly implied would be too expensive. So, there we are.

The methodology for TCL is as follows:

1) Include an uncompromising, best possible physical keyboard experience.

2) Decide what price point above which would not likely get traction.

3) Pack in the best of the balance of components that they can at that price point.

If someone doesn't fully buy-in to step 1, it's over. Period.

There is no magic here. They have done the best they can at $649.
    So in your opinion, outside of the keyboard being improved did TCL really make improvements that warrant a higher price than what they charged for the KEYone? Because all reports seem to indicate that the camera is worse, the battery life is a little worse, and the build quality is not as high end as the KEYone. The speaker isn’t better, screen isn’t better either.

Outside of anecdotal “Oh call quality is so much better” nonsense what is the rational behind the higher price if they actually took a step back in some areas.
    melhiore, Fred Wu and Mecca EL like this.
    07-14-18 02:57 PM

You’re either buying a PKB device for the PKB or you don’t buy the device. There’s plenty of VKB devices that offer better value but no PKB. Either pay the price or don’t. It’s very simple, BBMo/TCL only want your business if profitable. Cheap BB phones at or below cost like your Classic are over because that’s an unsustainable business model.
    TCM01 likes this.
    07-14-18 03:03 PM

Is this a new way of typing sentences?
    Smokeaire and AmritD like this.
    07-14-18 03:05 PM
    You would be an excellent spokesperson for BlackBerry back in 2010.
    That poster has a point. I do a lot of work on my phone while still being able to enjoy any videos or multimedia I want (contrary to what many may believe). These reviewers act like watching a video on a screen one inch larger is like watching a movie in an imax theatre compared to a 1960's 20 inch TV. Like seriously, ultimately you're still watching **** on a phone lol.
    07-14-18 03:09 PM
    So in your opinion, outside of the keyboard being improved did TCL really make improvements that warrant a higher price than what they charged for the KEYone? Because all reports seem to indicate that the camera is worse, the battery life is a little worse, and the build quality is not as high end as the KEYone. The speaker isn’t better, screen isn’t better either.

Outside of anecdotal “Oh call quality is so much better” nonsense what is the rational behind the higher price if they actually took a step back in some areas.
    I suspect that $649 is the actual price that needs to be used for profitability with the KEYone or the Key2. Everyone wondered how come BBMo/TCL started out with KEYone 3/32 @ $549 intro and went to 4/64 @ higher price almost immediately but it makes sense. Too many people are stuck on pricing that will never be profitable.
    TCM01 likes this.
    07-14-18 03:09 PM
    Could not watch or listen to him...
    anon(10429275) likes this.
    07-14-18 03:12 PM
    You’re either buying a PKB device for the PKB or you don’t buy the device. There’s plenty of VKB devices that offer better value but no PKB. Either pay the price or don’t. It’s very simple, BBMo/TCL only want your business if profitable. Cheap BB phones at or below cost like your Classic are over because that’s an unsustainable business model.
    As I said BB lovers can knock themselves out and purchase any device they desire....who am I to judge...

BB went down the toilet because they were caught snoozing by apple and other companies and and lost market share (which it's quite an accomplishment in its own right how they managed to lose such dominance in a relatively short period ). Hence your last statement is complete nonsense but that would be going of tangent

07-14-18 03:16 PM
    As I said BB lovers can knock themselves out and purchase any device they desire....who am I to judge...

BB went down the toilet because they were caught snoozing by apple and other companies and and lost market share (which it's quite an accomplishment in its own right how they managed to lose such dominance in a relatively short period ). Hence your last statement is complete nonsense but that would be going of tangent

LMAO
    07-14-18 03:36 PM
    That poster has a point. I do a lot of work on my phone while still being able to enjoy any videos or multimedia I want (contrary to what many may believe). These reviewers act like watching a video on a screen one inch larger is like watching a movie in an imax theatre compared to a 1960's 20 inch TV. Like seriously, ultimately you're still watching **** on a phone lol.
    Not really. He was implying that only work can get done on a physical keyboard, which is ridiculous.
    Mecca EL and TCM01 like this.
    07-14-18 03:57 PM
    Not really. He was implying that only work can get done on a physical keyboard, which is ridiculous.
    I took it as him saying all reviewers care about are things like youtube and Netflix etc...and to a degree he's right. Which are all available and just fine on the KEY2 I might add. So my point still stands and I am more efficient on the KEY2 the way I use it then on a slab. Not saying other devices can't be efficient and get work done though.
    the_boon, TCM01 and striderbg like this.
    07-14-18 04:01 PM
    I took it as him saying all reviewers care about are things like youtube and Netflix etc...and to a degree he's right. Which are all available and just fine on the KEY2 I might add. So my point still stands and I am more efficient on the KEY2 the way I use it then on a slab. Not saying other devices can't be efficient and get work done though.
    That’s no how I read it. He said anyone using a phone like that isn’t getting work done and is being funded by physical keyboard users. I’m amazed that the tiny portion of BB users left are funding the rest of the world through the work they get done on their phones.
    Fred Wu and Mecca EL like this.
    07-14-18 04:04 PM
    Okay well my point about multimedia and videos still stand. On 4.5 inch screen or a 5.5 in screen, it's still a phone you are watching on.
    Agreed. I’m not big on watching anything outside of something short on a phone screen.
    07-14-18 04:09 PM
    I feel bad for the Leap, Z10, Z30, DTEK, and Motion users., myself included. They are using a phone that they can’t work on and are sheep. The upcoming Ghost phone should just be cancelled because BB users aren’t sheep and demand a pkb because no real work can get done without one.
    Why would you buy a blackberry if it doesn't have a pkb???? Now that they switched to android that is the only thing that makes them any different, in all other ways they are worse than any other flagship phone.
    07-14-18 04:12 PM
  22. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    I feel bad for the Leap, Z10, Z30, DTEK, and Motion users., myself included. They are using a phone that they can’t work on and are sheep. The upcoming Ghost phone should just be cancelled because BB users aren’t sheep and demand a pkb because no real work can get done without one.
    Had all those phones too, except leap... hated them all...

Sorry, no slabs for me...can't stand the typing experience..there is a reason notebooks and computers still have keyboards.....

Posted via CB10
    JOHNGAETANO likes this.
    07-14-18 05:00 PM
    Did you really expect any different?
    No. I saw his Priv review. The outcome was predictable. He's never going to like a BlackBerry unless it has no keyboard and monster specs. I just wish he'd say that instead of even bothering with trying to use a keyboard device.
    07-14-18 05:20 PM
    .there is a reason notebooks and computers still have keyboards.....

Posted via CB10
    Yeah because so many people are holding notebook and computer keyboards up in the air at an angle with both hands while typing on them. That argument hasn't and never will make sense.
    Says who glass phones are only toys. My uncles are physicians, one uncle practices internal medicine & the other is a Neurosurgeon & hates PKB's. He used to have a Palm Treo etc & BB but now ONLY get's his work done on the "toy" iPhones. He loves it for organizing his extremely busy life & you know what on his really nice vacations, he can take out his iPhone and get amazing pictures even in low light unlike the Key2.

iPhones and other all glass phones being toys just for kids is such a bunch of BS that people keep spewing.

If I could get off of needing a PKB I'd have ditched BB long ago with everybody else, for now I still want one, so I got myself a Key2.
340 1234 ...