I hear many people say they can type faster on glass than with the true PKB. When people make that statement, there are many variables. I can likely type faster on glass when I am sending a text that says "Meet at Barbs in 5". I truly feel that the PKB brings back two things. Consistent Accuracy, and the desire to type longer more meaningful texts, emails, etc. I am not saying this, because I am an owner of the KEY2, I am saying this because I notice the difference. It's like being at the computer keyboard where your message or emails are much more detailed, and thoughtful.
    08-23-18 06:38 AM
    Jap, and you type what you really want, and not what the auto correction wants you to type. A very big difference.
    the_boon and mbirth like this.
    08-23-18 06:51 AM
    I have turned off auto correction entirely. I still let the words pop up on the screen in case I want to manually correct something, but that is rare.
    mikeath, Dino84, guizmox and 1 others like this.
    08-23-18 07:07 AM
    I have always preferred to type out the words in their entirety without the aid of auto-correct or auto-complete. Too often, auto-correct and auto-complete get it wrong and I have to spend time fixing the mistakes. Same with swipe-to-type and flick-to-complete. They are hindrances rather than helps.

Therefore, typing on glass will never be as accurate and consistent for me as typing on a physical keyboard. With a physical keyboard, my thumbs instinctively know what to do without me needing to think about it or even look at the keyboard. With a virtual keyboard, I have to look repeatedly at my thumbs to make sure they are positioned over the correct keys, because the lack of tactile feedback equates to a lack of confidence.
    jmorgan456 and Mamaluka like this.
    08-23-18 07:16 AM
    I have always preferred to type out the words in their entirety without the aid of auto-correct or auto-complete. Too often, auto-correct and auto-complete get it wrong and I have to spend time fixing the mistakes. Same with swipe-to-type and flick-to-complete. They are hindrances rather than helps.

Therefore, typing on glass will never be as accurate and consistent for me as typing on a physical keyboard. With a physical keyboard, my thumbs instinctively know what to do without me needing to think about it or even look at the keyboard. With a virtual keyboard, I have to look repeatedly at my thumbs to make sure they are positioned over the correct keys, because the lack of tactile feedback equates to a lack of confidence.
    And yet many meanstream smartphone users these days point to the PKB as antiquated tech, perhaps even writing those comments from their computer's PKB.

It's silly as hell. There's a reason most machinery has real buttons/levers and all of that instead of touch interfaces.

Is that so hard for slabbers to understand?
    Mamaluka and nevilleadaniels like this.
    08-23-18 07:29 AM
    I type 50 words per minute on pkb. slightly faster on touch, but less accurate. I can touch type on pkb without looking at it as well which helps.

overall pkb easier with less need to review messages before sending.
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    08-23-18 07:32 AM
    And yet many meanstream smartphone users these days point to the PKB as antiquated tech, perhaps even writing those comments from their computer's PKB.

It's silly as hell. There's a reason most machinery has real buttons/levers and all of that instead of touch interfaces.

Well there's always going to be people that desire that level of connectedness to whatever device of machine they're using. I like to think of how there are still people that still like to drive manual cars instead of automatic for the sake of the experience.
    j21jam6 likes this.
    08-23-18 08:05 AM
    Well there's always going to be people that desire that level of connectedness to whatever device of machine they're using. I like to think of how there are still people that still like to drive manual cars instead of automatic for the sake of the experience.
    Also for the sake of diversity man. There are far too many solid state slabs out there, and only 1 device with a distinguishable feature on the face of the phone.

If all phones had PKB's, I'd say the same thing, that we should have more full screen options.

It's all about having options and variety.

Ideally, when we walk into a smartphone aisle, we should see:

compact slabs, large slabs, compact PKB's, tall PKB's, square phones like Passport, vertical sliders, horizontal sliders, foldable phones, modular phones, and everything in between

Not just slabs that all look almost identical one to another
    megafan2000, ck2nb and Summer_Moon like this.
    08-23-18 08:41 AM
    I too can type faster on glass, however the feel and precision of a physical keyboard is unmatched. I usually turn off any typing aids, as I want to have full control over the text I am typing and not rely on any software correcting errors I made on its own. So on a PKB I usually feel and notice when I made a typo vs. on glass I truly have to keep an eye on the text looking for any errors I typed. Plus I can more or less type blinded on the PKB vs. looking at the VKB because the flat glass surface doesn't give any clues where my thumbs are.

Last but not least it really is more satisfying for me hitting those keys at full speed when I am typing any text, feeling the strokes and hearing the clicks vs. the artificial vibration response from a VKB. During cold winter days however, when typing outside in the cold, a VKB can be a blessing because I need much less force for touching keys vs. pressing them.
    guizmox and RonZed10 like this.
    08-23-18 08:46 AM
    After a 4 year absence from BB, it's sooooo nice to be back on a BB PKB! The muscle memory of knowing the keyboard has already kicked in......feels like home.
    08-23-18 08:55 AM
    I switched to blackberry because I stopped considering the looks of a phone. I figured that after a while I'll grow tired of the looks anyways and I'll gladly trade that for a feature that will offer me a tangible advantage.

After a day's use, what I noticed is that I'm way less frustrated when typing a message. I didn't even know I was frustrated at all at first!

So on one hand I'm glad, on the other I miss my MIUI interface. Having that said, Google has been ruining that brand for me since two years or so. It's only until recently that the EU fined them 4+ billion for the very business practice that ruined my MIUI. So who knows if Xiaomi can recover at some point.
    08-23-18 08:58 AM
    I hear many people say they can type faster on glass than with the true PKB. When people make that statement, there are many variables. I can likely type faster on glass when I am sending a text that says "Meet at Barbs in 5". I truly feel that the PKB brings back two things. Consistent Accuracy, and the desire to type longer more meaningful texts, emails, etc. I am not saying this, because I am an owner of the KEY2, I am saying this because I notice the difference. It's like being at the computer keyboard where your message or emails are much more detailed, and thoughtful.
    except for many of us the teeny PKB found on a smartphone isn't that much easier to type on than glass. And in either case I'm not as likely to type anything long unless I'm using my computer.
    08-23-18 09:11 AM
    I have turned off auto correction entirely. I still let the words pop up on the screen in case I want to manually correct something, but that is rare.
    Same here
    08-23-18 09:46 AM

Slabbers....nice.
    the_boon and nevilleadaniels like this.
    08-23-18 02:00 PM
    Totally agreed with your point of view !
    It's not all about the speed but the accuracy and the comfort to write long messages !
    08-23-18 02:54 PM
    I love the pkb! But, then again, I am from the demographic that someone last week kindly referred to as the "vintage citizen group" when deciding what she should charge me for a ticket to a museum.

On second thought, maybe it was just self-serving patter since she was about my age!

Accept the fact that your KEYone or KEY2 looks about a hundred years old to many younger people who have been using a vkb their whole phone-using lives. Accept the fact that if you are still using a BlackBerry 6230 up to a Passport, your device IS about a hundred years old!
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    08-23-18 03:19 PM
    I love the pkb! But, then again, I am from the demographic that someone last week kindly referred to as the "vintage citizen group" when deciding what she should charge me for a ticket to a museum.

On second thought, maybe it was just self-serving patter since she was about my age!

Accept the fact that your KEYone or KEY2 looks about a hundred years old to many younger people who have been using a vkb their whole phone-using lives. Accept the fact that if you are still using a BlackBerry 6230 up to a Passport, your device IS about a hundred years old!
    Also accept the the fact that no one really cares one way or the other, except for those who feel they have to justify their choices of keyboards, which doesn't need any justification at all. Personal choice doesn't have to be explained.
    08-23-18 03:28 PM
    Also accept the the fact that no one really cares one way or the other, except for those who feel they have to justify their choices of keyboards, which doesn't need any justification at all. Personal choice doesn't have to be explained.
    Well, explaining the advantages of the modern BB keyboard to someone who hasn't thought about it and is open minded could help make a purchase happen
    08-23-18 03:53 PM
    I hear you, I don't care who approves of my PKB phone, It was bought with my money...

Just like I don't care what kind of gas you put in your tank, it's your car.
    08-23-18 06:46 PM
    except for many of us the teeny PKB found on a smartphone isn't that much easier to type on than glass. And in either case I'm not as likely to type anything long unless I'm using my computer.
    If you're talking about the Palm Centro's keyboard then I'll allow you the use of "teeny PKB". :P

For the Key2 though it is pretty close if not the same size keys as most VKBs. But I do understand what you mean, and that is your choice as well, everyone has their preferences
    08-23-18 07:36 PM
    I'm surprised that no one so far has mentioned how much of the screen is taken over by a VKB when you are using one. If you're writing anything approaching a paragraph, using a physical keyboard lets you see much more of what you're typing at one time.

I'm also surprised that many posters here don't like the swipe up feature. I've always hated autocorrection, but I find word predictions that you have control over very useful.
    SteveNoza likes this.
    08-23-18 10:56 PM
    Totally agreed with your point of view !
    It's not all about the speed but the accuracy and the comfort to write long messages !
    For me, the advantage of a pkb is comfort when typing quickly, having gone from a 9810 to a Z10 and to the Passport. I found that I could type very quickly with little loss of accuracy on the Z10. The Z10's keyboard was so good that I would type blindly from muscle memory - the result was often gibberish because my fingers were slightly off, but the autocorrect was so amazing that it figured out what I wanted to say. Unfortunately, I typed so quickly that there seemed to be a disconnect between my brain and the typing, perhaps due to the lack of tactile sensation, such that it became very mentally fatiguing to type for more than a minute straight. Typing on the Passport is slower, but I can keep it up for as long as my thoughts flow.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    08-23-18 11:33 PM

It's called bias, and the uncomfortable feeling of having something inferior and willing to readjust and accept it as better, since they spent years on a vkb, so the brain automatically shuts it down and palms it off.
    08-24-18 03:30 AM
    It's called bias, and the uncomfortable feeling of having something inferior and willing to readjust and accept it as better, since they spent years on a vkb, so the brain automatically shuts it down and palms it off.
    Basically, if current computers and tablet accessories still have real mechanical buttons, then there's no reason not to have them on a smartphone or to be "ashamed" of having them
    08-24-18 03:52 AM
    Basically, if current computers and tablet accessories still have real mechanical buttons, then there's no reason not to have them on a smartphone or to be "ashamed" of having them
    Would you use a computer or a laptop with keyboard on the same panel/surface?
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-24-18 05:10 AM
131 123 ...