- The size of the keyboard is nice

- The keys feel cheaper than the Key1. They almost feel like a toy - too much like plastic. The phone was fresh out of the box so I’m wondering if that changes with use

- The camera is decent. It’s colour temperature is way off and makes skin tones red, especially on the front facing camera

- The back plate feels a little cheap, again, a similar situation where the Key1 felt more premium

- The software felt fast and fluid - I’m surprised how much better the BB Launcher has gotten

- As reported by other users, the typing lag is certainly there

Now, this phone was taken out of the box and put out as a demo. I don’t know if software updates have been issued since being boxed. Would I buy it? I’m not too sure. Might hold out for the Key3.
    07-06-18 12:56 PM

- The keys feel cheaper than the Key1. They almost feel like a toy - too much like plastic. The phone was fresh out of the box so I’m wondering if that changes with use

- The camera is decent. It’s colour temperature is way off and makes skin tones red, especially on the front facing camera

- The back plate feels a little cheap, again, a similar situation where the Key1 felt more premium

- The software felt fast and fluid - I’m surprised how much better the BB Launcher has gotten

Now, this phone was taken out of the box and put out as a demo. I don’t know if software updates have been issued since being boxed. Would I buy it? I’m not too sure. Might hold out for the Key3.
    If they don't sell enough K2... there won't be a K3.

Hope that a future update will fix some of the "minor" issues that some have found.

Do wonder what the thinking on the backing was, as that's been something several have questioned.
    07-06-18 01:12 PM

Hope that a future update will fix some of the "minor" issues that some have found.

Do wonder what the thinking on the backing was, as that's been something several have questioned.
    I believe key2 will sell at least few million by end of 2018!
    07-06-18 01:17 PM

-I had mine a day, and I sold it. Hated the keyboard instantly. Like you say, it feels hollow and while the keys are matt instead of glossy, such as on the Keyone, I was instantly put off..

This was conflicting with my other feelings about the phone. I didn't have any issues with the feeling of the back, or the space key,(which on the silver one I had felt fine, not loose).

Luckily, I had with me that day, my Passport SE and the Keyone for comparison, and I did some typing experiments. IMMEDIATELY, I notice that the Key2 keys are flat..

On another post I stated this and was challenged about the key sculpting on the OG Passport, because I stated that ALL the previous BlackBerry PKB phones I have had, were all sculpted. I checked my OG one-and it is the same as the SE. Even the Priv keyboard has it. I can't easily feel the individual keys on the Key2. Feels 'clicky' but personally a deal breaker. I PREFER the Keyone keyboard, and its not my favourite at all,(that's the SE).
    07-06-18 03:49 PM
    I agree - typing in store, I couldn’t distinctively tell the keys apart. Something is missing.

Also, not to be the guy that kills the hype train, but this definitely isn’t the same keyboard as the Bold 9900.
    07-06-18 04:02 PM
    You guys must be in the minority. Practically all of life in art, culture, tech and aesthetics is personal and subjective, so there's no wrong or right. But all the major reviewer's from Erica Griffiths to Mr. Mobile LOVE the keyboard and feel it's on par with the best BB's ever. There are users here who think the Passport 3 row is absurd, there are those of us (myself included) who think it's genius and quite easy to master. More comfortable, even.

Posted via CB10
    07-06-18 04:15 PM
    I went to try it in store today.

My experience:

- keys felt soft to press and didn't have an audible click that the old Bolds and Passport had

- spacebar for sure had a different sound when pressed, I actually liked hearing the feedback but it for sure sounds different than the rest of the keys

Overall, I'm not sure how I feel about the keyboard yet. I was hyped when I heard it was going to match the Bolds style but I honestly think it's similar based on size, not on feel/feedback
    07-06-18 05:12 PM
    I don't get the logic of this! So if K3 is crappy too people should buy it in the hope that there will be a K4 and so on? Bad products shouldn't survive in the market so that companies understand they won't get away with designing bad products! And I'm not saying that K2 is a bad phone, but let's be serious and read what people here write about this phone all this week, not only what youtubers on certain payrolls say!

Posted via CB10
    Fred Wu, pooyam and Mecca EL like this.
    07-06-18 06:07 PM
    Remember that this is crackberry, were users are always on the negative side

I still have not tried the K2 and have no need to do so, will wait at least 3 months when the device will be perfect.

First units always have things to improve.

Regards
    hcaliste likes this.
    07-06-18 06:22 PM
    there definitely an issue with the keyboard double typing characters
    07-06-18 06:24 PM
    Wait to try it for yourself not listening to anyone since there are so many different opinions about the device.
    Can’t see it being that bad as some say personally I think some of this is user error not phone error.
    07-06-18 06:46 PM

If they don't do their homework and do proper testing before releasing, then they can't expect it to do well.

Just because of their incompetence and our love for PKB, they have the right to rob us.

To be honest, I has been waiting for this device and thought they'll improve drastically. Last year around, we did pay premium for low end phone but we wanted them to do well so we see a better iteration. Yes they upped some of the specs, it's also one year since KeyOne, and they had to give us some incentive to upgrade. However, the end product doesnt look like a finished one. With such a small audience (which mind you are the diehard fans mostly) and selective release, we already are finding issues with quality, spacebar, camera in less than a month of official release.

I hope there's a revised version in the making. I am closely watching this. Hopefully and dramatically they can release a software fix for some of issues. I can't think of shelling out $900 (Australian) for an unfinished product.
    Mecca EL and Anel Kapur like this.
    07-06-18 08:56 PM
    Wait to try it for yourself.
    Unfortunately, many of us have no way to try before we buy. "Oh, well, I have x days to return it" shouldn't be necessary.

Posted via CB10 / AT&T /Z10 STL100-3 /10.3.3.3216
    Mecca EL likes this.
    07-07-18 10:09 AM
    So many different opinions about the key2 I will see for myself on the 13th when mine arrives. I could see if all the reviews were the same but I see more positive reviews than negative.
    07-07-18 11:41 AM
    Just saw my first Key2 (black) in person yesterday. Overall they did an OK job. Definitely not any worse than the KeyONE in most respects, but aside from the new keyboard and the extra camera, most improvements are clearly 'under the hood' this time around. Feels very similar to a Passport silver edition with its metal frame, hard rubberized back, fretless PKB, etc.

Screen: my biggest and really only true disappointment. Not that it's bad... it's just the exact same mediocre screen as the K1, but dimmer. And somehow the K2 also got taller by about 5mm. Had thought the goal was to trim down the bezels. Instead the phone got taller thanks to the keyboard, and the same bezels are still there, just concealed thanks to the edge to edge glass. The phone did get slightly thinner and lighter though.

Keyboard: the keys definitely pop out more than they K1. Literally. As in noticeably not flush with the screen. Not sure I like the look any better, but it works. It does seem a bit awkward where it meets those damn capacitive keys...which BTW look more out of place than ever next to that brand new keyboard. Keyboard is great to type on. Very comfortable. Space bar didn't seem loose at all. Yes it does click a bit, but so did ALL the keys on the KeyONE...so it's exactly as I expected.

Haptic motor: Seemed a bit metallic and harsh. Similar to the K1 silver (my black edition K1 had a deeper more resonant 'ping'). Could be a TCL quality control issue.

Camera: decent, but seemed to have trouble picking up detail on dark areas...washed out. Hopefully can be corrected with software. Portrait mode works well.

Speaker: definitely a bit louder than on the K1.

Headphone jack definitely looks off this time. Too close to the back. Of course it did on the KeyONE as well. To my eye it's as if they left the jack exactly as on the KeyONE...except the phone got thinner. Oops.

Software: zipping through apps and homescreen definitely improved. Not as quick as a current Android flagship but probably fast enough for most people.

Overall I'm still debating whether to pull to trigger on this one. Telus wants $870 which is only $30 less than what I paid for my Pixel 2 just a few months ago. As much as I like the BlackBerry, I really don't consider it to be in the same league as a Pixel 2. Of course it doesn't help that Telus is jacking up the price by almost $100, so I may end up looking into an unlocked silver K2 instead...if I can justify it to myself for what I would have to give up to own a BlackBerry again. Perhaps people coming from an existing BlackBerry will feel differently. I'm sure that's what TCL is banking on...
    07-07-18 11:50 AM
    Spent 15 mins with one in a Rogers store in WPG, Canada.
    Ttaste is subjective but I find the K2 keyboard to be better than on the K1 I currently own. Flick typing better on K2 comparatively for my taste. Now, PP users reading things like 'one of the best BB keyboards ever' or whatever are likely going to find that a bit hyperbolic especially if you loved PP. Regardless, I like the matte finish, keys are 'clickier' but I like that too; they do feel plastic-y but they are plastic after all and my thumbs prefer the matte. Face it, we're not going to get brushed aluminium...I'll take function over fashion any day and I type better on K2.

Thinner, lighter - I'd like the option to get a silver one (Boo, Rogers for carrying only black) but will likely pick the black one up after vacation. Don't want to drop new phone in the lake lol. Can't speak to specs under the hood but as long as i get my current day and a half out of it, I'll put that in the win column. Don't game, moderate IG and Twit but no FB. Write a lot of emails, texts, lists, reminders, etc. K2 is an improvement over K1 in my books.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    07-07-18 04:23 PM
    Spent 15 mins with one in a Rogers store in WPG, Canada.
    Ttaste is subjective but I find the K2 keyboard to be better than on the K1 I currently own. Flick typing better on K2 comparatively for my taste. Now, PP users reading things like 'one of the best BB keyboards ever' or whatever are likely going to find that a bit hyperbolic especially if you loved PP. Regardless, I like the matte finish, keys are 'clickier' but I like that too; they do feel plastic-y but they are plastic after all and my thumbs prefer the matte. Face it, we're not going to get brushed aluminium...I'll take function over fashion any day and I type better on K2.

Thinner, lighter - I'd like the option to get a silver one (Boo, Rogers for carrying only black) but will likely pick the black one up after vacation. Don't want to drop new phone in the lake lol. Can't speak to specs under the hood but as long as i get my current day and a half out of it, I'll put that in the win column. Don't game, moderate IG and Twit but no FB. Write a lot of emails, texts, lists, reminders, etc. K2 is an improvement over K1 in my books.
    I can also see using the Locker quite a bit. And there are some cool little upgrades that I will enjoy. The speed key is a fix to a problem I never knew I had...I mean, I just got used to doing things 'the old way'. Looking forward to using that key...
    07-07-18 04:27 PM
    People nowadays can write a long "review" of a phone after "trying" it just for few seconds. Amazing.
    07-07-18 07:45 PM
    People nowadays can write a long "review" of a phone after "trying" it just for few seconds. Amazing.
    Fair enough, but if the camera is crap in low light conditions not a whole lot of software will fix it.
    07-07-18 07:56 PM
    Are initial thoughts a new concept to you?
    07-07-18 08:43 PM
    Are initial thoughts a new concept to you?
    Haha
    07-07-18 09:28 PM
    If they don't do their homework and do proper testing before releasing, then they can't expect it to do well.

Just because of their incompetence and our love for PKB, they have the right to rob us.

To be honest, I has been waiting for this device and thought they'll improve drastically. Last year around, we did pay premium for low end phone but we wanted them to do well so we see a better iteration. Yes they upped some of the specs, it's also one year since KeyOne, and they had to give us some incentive to upgrade. However, the end product doesnt look like a finished one. With such a small audience (which mind you are the diehard fans mostly) and selective release, we already are finding issues with quality, spacebar, camera in less than a month of official release.

I hope there's a revised version in the making. I am closely watching this. Hopefully and dramatically they can release a software fix for some of issues. I can't think of shelling out $900 (Australian) for an unfinished product.
    TCL is who TCL is.... the whole reason their marketshare in China slipped away from them is their poor build quality. Whole reason Alcatel sale in the US slipped by 50% last year is the poor quality of their devices.

Even when buying a $75 or $150 phone, people have some expatiation of a product being quality built. But a $650 phone.... loose bits just should be an issue.
    krazyatom likes this.
    07-09-18 07:21 AM
    Could those having/not having issues with their KEY2 please post here?

/blackberry-key2-f472/key2-build-dates-thread-1151064/
    07-09-18 08:11 AM
    Could those having/not having issues with their KEY2 please post here?

/blackberry-key2-f472/key2-build-dates-thread-1151064/
    Don't have either of mine anymore. Think most people that have issues will have already returned them.
    07-09-18 08:15 AM
    Don't have either of mine anymore. Think most people that have issues will have already returned them.
    Still it's good to know that their replacements are fault-free, and what build dates they're on.
    07-09-18 08:22 AM