Tl;dr - if you're considering going back to your old Priv, don't.

I have a Key2 (bought it when it came out, to replace my Priv). The plan was to buy whatever bb came out next but obviously that isn't happening.

Overall I like the Key2, but I don't like the screen size/quality, and I definitely don't like the camera quality. The Priv absolutely destroys the Key2 in these areas, and the camera has become a bigger priority for me after the birth of my child.

So, I decided to take the Priv out of the drawer. Charge her up, and do a factory reset. Transferred my calendar and contacts over, as well as some of my more often used apps. Other than that, the Priv was free and clear and ready to perform.

But man, was she slow. Wow. After the (relative) speed of the Key2 and the Oreo OS, the Priv is glacial by comparison. Anything you do on it, you have to wait a second and a half before it does it. That may not seem like a lot, but it's an eternity. Also, the back of the phone gets incredibly hot, and the battery dies quickly. In other words, these are the reasons I got the Key2 to begin with, and the problems with the Priv aren't magically fixed after a factory reset.

So I'm back to the Key2, and pretty soon I guess I'll finally be straying from the BlackBerry product line for the first time in my life. I'll stick with Android... maybe a google phone or a samsung I guess.
    06-01-20 12:51 PM

I have a Key2 (bought it when it came out, to replace my Priv). The plan was to buy whatever bb came out next but obviously that isn't happening.

Overall I like the Key2, but I don't like the screen size/quality, and I definitely don't like the camera quality. The Priv absolutely destroys the Key2 in these areas, and the camera has become a bigger priority for me after the birth of my child.

So, I decided to take the Priv out of the drawer. Charge her up, and do a factory reset. Transferred my calendar and contacts over, as well as some of my more often used apps. Other than that, the Priv was free and clear and ready to perform.

But man, was she slow. Wow. After the (relative) speed of the Key2 and the Oreo OS, the Priv is glacial by comparison. Anything you do on it, you have to wait a second and a half before it does it. That may not seem like a lot, but it's an eternity. Also, the back of the phone gets incredibly hot, and the battery dies quickly. In other words, these are the reasons I got the Key2 to begin with, and the problems with the Priv aren't magically fixed after a factory reset.

So I'm back to the Key2, and pretty soon I guess I'll finally be straying from the BlackBerry product line for the first time in my life. I'll stick with Android... maybe a google phone or a samsung I guess.
    I've see many who love the AMOLED screen on the PRIV over the KEY devices IPS LCD....

I've see many who say the heating and battery life issues are a thing of the past....

I would expect the KEY2 with it's additional memory to be the biggest advantage for the KEY2. Processors, there isn't a huge difference between the two on most benchmarks. But the 660 has a three point edge on "versus".

Most say the PRIV's keyboard is too cramped after using the KEY2.
    06-01-20 02:57 PM
    If it didn't have the battery life/overheating woes, I'd consider it for the screen and camera alone. I liked the keyboard when I tried it too.

Posted via CB10
    06-01-20 03:36 PM
    Biggest advantage the KEY2 has is much newer and secure version of Android....
    mh1983 likes this.
    06-01-20 03:38 PM
    Wasn't it the Priv's processor causing the excess heat (and by extension battery drain?). It probably needed an extra gb of RAM for longevity too.

I considered a Priv back in 2015 but went with a Sony at that time... which still works as my non-work phone and tether hotspot for my kids devices away from home.

I remember thinking the form was very cool, and little gimmicks like the battery indicator up the side of the screen I thought were nice touches. Ultimately quite big and actually huge and top heavy when pkb is out. Lots to like though.

Key2 is still very good, especially for productivity. I considered a Note but decided against. thing that's bugging me at the mo though is the battery degradation...
    mh1983 likes this.
    06-01-20 04:16 PM
    2015 called and they want BlackBerry first attempt making Android hardware back.

The reality was the perfect storm. First time Android OEM chooses a rare problematic 8xx SOC and other premium choice of components with PKB/VKB form.

unfortunately, it showed what BlackBerry could and couldn't do all together.
    06-01-20 04:40 PM
    and oh how I Pine for a priv 2 with modern innards and snappy performance…
    mh1983 likes this.
    06-02-20 01:05 PM
    You strike again >>>>>
    Attached Thumbnails Tried going back to the Priv...-gifclock.gif  
    06-02-20 02:28 PM
    I've see many who love the AMOLED screen on the PRIV over the KEY devices IPS LCD....

I've see many who say the heating and battery life issues are a thing of the past....

I would expect the KEY2 with it's additional memory to be the biggest advantage for the KEY2. Processors, there isn't a huge difference between the two on most benchmarks. But the 660 has a three point edge on "versus".

Most say the PRIV's keyboard is too cramped after using the KEY2.
    https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...on-808-msm8992

The difference isn't just "horsepower" - though the Key2's SoC is more powerful and much more energy-efficient - it's also the memory bus and type. The K2 uses a modern 64-bit processor and DDR4 RAM, the latter being about 40-45% faster than the DDR3 in the Priv. There is, of course, twice as much of it, at 6GB vs. 3GB. The whole platform is significantly faster, in other words, even though the Priv was an 800-series "flagship" SoC and the Key2 is "only" a "mid-grade" 600-series SoC.

It's kind of like comparing a late 80's Ford Mustang 5.0L engine (220 bhp) with a 2020 Mustang 5.0L engine (460 bhp). The engine size alone hardly tells the whole story - the whole engine PLATFORM is greatly improved.
    06-03-20 08:30 PM
    https://versus.com/en/qualcomm-snapd...on-808-msm8992

The difference isn't just "horsepower" - though the Key2's SoC is more powerful and much more energy-efficient - it's also the memory bus and type. The K2 uses a modern 64-bit processor and DDR4 RAM, the latter being about 40-45% faster than the DDR3 in the Priv. There is, of course, twice as much of it, at 6GB vs. 3GB. The whole platform is significantly faster, in other words, even though the Priv was an 800-series "flagship" SoC and the Key2 is "only" a "mid-grade" 600-series SoC.

It's kind of like comparing a late 80's Ford Mustang 5.0L engine (220 bhp) with a 2020 Mustang 5.0L engine (460 bhp). The engine size alone hardly tells the whole story - the whole engine PLATFORM is greatly improved.
    I was thinking about the Ford 1/2 stangs from the mid80s
    06-04-20 07:20 PM

Loved my Priv when I used it. Was great for its time for my needs. I then went to a Motion and really loved it. I'm now on a Pixel 3, and the camera is amazing. So, whenever you're ready to switch, there are solid Android phones out there. Having the Hub+ and VKB on my Pixel 3 made the switch easier. Glad to still have aspects of Blackberry on my phone.
    tfitzpat03 likes this.
    06-08-20 01:43 PM
    Hey leave the mustang/pinto/bobcat aloone....................
    Laura Knotek and moosbb like this.
    07-07-20 09:51 AM
    Hey leave the mustang/pinto/bobcat aloone....................
    You forgot the Maverick too
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-07-20 09:54 AM
    and the Capri
    07-07-20 11:50 AM