Love my Key2, but as Android moves to 10 and all of us sit at 8.1.x but the hardware is still viable. TCL looks like it's bailing on this and outside of security updates, it looks like we are on our own. Of course, I also see no success of rooting or TWRP support, etc. so this would all be quite an uphill battle to get there.

Are there any successful roots/alt ROMs running now?

Thanks for any info.

Jonathan
    11-11-19 10:01 AM
    you cant root. Sounds like you need to buy a different device
    11-11-19 10:19 AM
    Best way to forget your current Android lower version from your mind:

Enjoy your PKB by sending more and more messages, emailing

Believe strongly that you are using very uncommon thing in the world that not everyone's cup of tea

never try to see about phone and Android version in setting menu.

other peoples thoughts are more welcome and enjoyable too...
    TSIAGO77 likes this.
    11-11-19 12:12 PM
    Love my Key2, but as Android moves to 10 and all of us sit at 8.1.x but the hardware is still viable. TCL looks like it's bailing on this and outside of security updates, it looks like we are on our own. Of course, I also see no success of rooting or TWRP support, etc. so this would all be quite an uphill battle to get there.

Are there any successful roots/alt ROMs running now?

Thanks for any info.

Jonathan
    If the KEY devices could be rooted, there would be a big section on here with some options for different ROMS... some would be running PIE or even Android 10 by now.

I don't see that ever being an option.

Some are looking at LineageOS as a replacement for BB10... but it will be with hardware it supports.
    11-11-19 01:00 PM
    If the KEY devices could be rooted, there would be a big section on here with some options for different ROMS... some would be running PIE or even Android 10 by now.

I don't see that ever being an option.

Some are looking at LineageOS as a replacement for BB10... but it will be with hardware it supports.
    Exactly. Until the bootloader can be unlocked, 3rd party Rom support isn't going to happen. If BlackBerry devices had been unlocking even during the BB10 days, there would be guys running Android 9 on Passports right now. The driver support is there, just not access to the device.
    11-11-19 01:41 PM
    Exactly. Until the bootloader can be unlocked, 3rd party Rom support isn't going to happen. If BlackBerry devices had been unlocking even during the BB10 days, there would be guys running Android 9 on Passports right now. The driver support is there, just not access to the device.
    It's not something BlackBerry could allow, even if they wanted to, which they don't. It's built in ton the hardware that the OS has to be signed by BlackBerry. They would have to make a signing process available which would break security on all of their devices. It's never going to happen.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-11-19 02:09 PM
    There is only one way that i'm aware of to even get to recovery on the Key2 and even that method won't allow bootloader unlocking at this point. I won't say the Key devices are not ever rootable since exploits are starting appear that don't require an oem unlock but they are generally patched quickly before someone interested would customize the exploit for the keyone or 2. Even then, a compromised OS would likely trigger dtek.
    11-13-19 06:54 AM
    the fx tec pro 1 can be rooted and it is even supported to get custom firmware like lineage os. They built the device with custom roms in mind
    11-13-19 08:26 AM