Hello good people!

I'd like to use the speech to text feature on Textra without enabling Google.

For obvious reasons I do not trust Google listening into my conversations without my permission. Don't mind ads and marketing, but conversation is sacred.

Any advice gents?
    11-06-19 09:11 AM
    I mean, there's plenty of text to speech apps available in the Google Play Store but I'm not sure how well they integrate with other apps. There's also the factor of where you don't trust Google but you'd trust some smaller developer? I know Google takes some flack but I'd rather trust the known than the unknown. That said, F-Droid has some Open Source TTS services that claim to work across apps - https://f-droid.org/en/packages/edu....ech.tts.flite/

Flite (festival-lite) is a small, fast runtime speech synthesis engine developed at Carnegie Mellon University and primarily designed for small embedded devices.

This application wraps the Flite engine so that it can be installed as an application on Android devices. This app gets installed as a TTS library, thereby allowing other applications to make use of Flite for synthesis.

After installing this application, you will have to: 1. Enable Flite from "Text to Speech Settings" on your phone 2. Install voice data 3. Go to "Language" settings and select the voice that you want. By clicking on "Listen to a sample" you can verify that Flite is working.
    James BB Bond likes this.
    11-06-19 05:31 PM