Ok, I did search and could not get a one stop shop for answers. I am interested in knowing a few things before I dive in, looks promising compared to Android messages.

First off, where does it backup and restore to? Worried if I need to restore or setup a new phone, how does that work?

Second, how reliable is it? Is the premium upgrade $$$ spend worth it?

How are the updates?

Does the other party also need to have Textra?

Thanks in advance,
    09-24-18 03:37 PM
    Ok, I did search and could not get a one stop shop for answers. I am interested in knowing a few things before I dive in, looks promising compared to Android messages.

First off, where does it backup and restore to? Worried if I need to restore or setup a new phone, how does that work?

Second, how reliable is it? Is the premium upgrade $$$ spend worth it?

How are the updates?

Does the other party also need to have Textra?

Thanks in advance,
    Whether you use Messages, Textra, Yaata, or countless others, it is only a UX for your phone/carrier's SMS function. People on the other side can use anything they wish too.

There are many available apps that can backup your device's SMS messages in various ways.
    09-24-18 06:00 PM
    Thank you,
    09-24-18 06:02 PM
    Textra is great and can be backed up. I just got a new replacement Keyone and all my text messages came to my new phone!
    09-24-18 11:12 PM
    I love textra and support it one of my favorite features with the application is to be able to schedule text messges oh and the delay so you can cancel messages before they send if you messed up. I have recently moved to android messgaes just because of the web aspect. But I have a question with the key2 since there is a blackberry hub how does it work with third party sms apps. Does it work how it does on non blackberry phones where you click on it in the hub and it takes you to the app? Could you use it just in the hub?

Thank you
    Last edited by bcbbanga4l; 09-25-18 at 05:52 AM. Reason: mispelling
    09-25-18 05:52 AM
    I love textra and support it one of my favorite features with the application is to be able to schedule text messges oh and the delay so you can cancel messages before they send if you messed up. I have recently moved to android messgaes just because of the web aspect. But I have a question with the key2 since there is a blackberry hub how does it work with third party sms apps. Does it work how it does on non blackberry phones where you click on it in the hub and it takes you to the app? Could you use it just in the hub?

Thank you
    I am using the KEYone but the phones are basically the same for all intents and purposes of sms functionality in the Hub. I tested three apps along with the Textra I use currently, which are Android Messages, Yaata, and Pulse.

Textra and Yaata both open as an overlay over the Hub when a message is selected so they can be opened without going to the main app. This also means when you press the back button after opening a message you are taken straight back to the Hub.

Messages and Pulse both open as a separate apps apart from Hub when a message is selected. As a sidenote I'm now tempted to move to Yaata now because of the ability to archive chats, which sadly Textra does not. These are only testing some of the more popular apps. I don't know which other ones out there are in-Hub or not. Hope this answers your question.
    bcbbanga4l and anon(10387168) like this.
    09-26-18 01:58 AM
    Love Textra, been using the pay version for close to 2 years now. I use Verizon Cloud to backup my messages and contacts, contacts are most important to me, messages not so much.

Definitely go for the premium version it allows for a lot more customization. I love the ability to press enter to send and having customized group names, colors and LED notification colors.

You won't be disappointed with Textra. Can't speak to the other texting apps.
    09-26-18 04:06 AM
    Textra is fantastic -- it interfaces nicely with the hub
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-18 06:41 AM
    Another happy Textra user here, fully recommend it.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    09-26-18 07:18 AM
    I'm still waiting for Textra to support RCS, but overall it's the best SMS app that I have used.
    09-27-18 06:32 AM
    Textra is great and can be backed up. I just got a new replacement Keyone and all my text messages came to my new phone!
    How did you do that? I used Content Transfer, but it only moved old messages to my new device, the last 10 months or so didn't appear on the new device.
    11-25-18 08:36 AM
    Did those restored messages associate properly in the HUB? Mines didn't, I don't see the conversation history when I send a person a new message. I have to pull and look at that separately.
    11-25-18 08:09 PM
    How did you do that? I used Content Transfer, but it only moved old messages to my new device, the last 10 months or so didn't appear on the new device.
    Content transfer only moved 3K of my messages, who set that limit and why? I am big on keeping conversation history in case something comes up later...
    11-25-18 08:11 PM
    Did those restored messages associate properly in the HUB? Mines didn't, I don't see the conversation history when I send a person a new message. I have to pull and look at that separately.
    All my texts DID show up in my hub after the restore!!! ( All my old ones)
    To be honest, when I bought my new phone, the store did the reload (first time in years) and pretty much transfered everything from old phone to the new phone!
    11-25-18 08:19 PM
    I moved from Textra back to Android Messages (default app). Although Textra is beautiful, I heard from Textra support that it will likely never support Rich Communications Services (RCS). Using Messages, I have added features that are data enabled if the person you are communicating with has Messages and their carrier has RCS enabled.

Nothing against Textra, but it will eventually become a legacy app, like all SMS/MMS apps out there. Only Android Messages will fully support RCS moving forward.
    11-26-18 06:56 AM