Good news for Aussie consumers.

TCL will release Key2 Black and Red Edition besides the Key2 LE via Amazon form mid-July.

What is strange that the Black edition comes with only 4GB of RAM according to PC World.

https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/artic...-in-australia/
    05-24-19 03:31 PM
    Another source that now shows the 4GB could be a mistake.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ausdroi...australia/amp/
    05-24-19 04:03 PM
    Another source that now shows the 4GB could be a mistake.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ausdroi...australia/amp/
    It's an obvious mistake. There are no 4GB KEY2's.
    05-24-19 04:54 PM
    It seems that TCL has plenty of black color and run out of silver and took red inventory from the US and gave it to Australia lol
    Last edited by John Albert; 05-24-19 at 06:08 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    05-24-19 05:43 PM
    It seems that TCL has plenty of black color and run out of silver and took red inventory from the US and gave it to Australia lil
    Hmm, what's this...new black Key2's coming to market. Who would say that? Oh that's right, I did. Because I have one. Ha ha.
    jmorgan456 likes this.
    05-24-19 05:59 PM
    Hmm, what's this...new black Key2's coming to market. Who would say that? Oh that's right, I did. Because I have one. Ha ha.
    No surprise @dendron01... you are a trendsetter... 😂

Bob
    05-24-19 06:03 PM
    It seems that TCL has plenty of black color and run out of silver and took red inventory from the US and gave it to Australia lol
    More likely they are producing discrete batches, region by region, to fill orders. That's always been TCL's modus operandi in other lines of business. They prefer to manufacture to order, not to stock. That way they have minimum inventory risk and can maintain their margins, at the expense of lost sales, of course.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    jmorgan456 and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    05-24-19 06:19 PM
    More likely they are producing discrete batches, region by region, to fill orders. That's always been TCL's modus operandi in other lines of business. They prefer to manufacture to order, not to stock. That way they have minimum inventory risk and can maintain their margins, at the expense of lost sales, of course.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    If true, this strategy will never improve the selling volume.
    I don't know how could they run this business without releasing new phones this year.

Key2 already sold out in the majority of channels in the US.

USA region used to form over 50% of BlackBerry hardware region market share, so it is extremely important.
    05-24-19 06:27 PM
    No surprise @dendron01... you are a trendsetter...

Bob
    I prefer to think of it as disproving misguided CrackBerry mythologies in a completely random, haphazard fashion.

By the way Bob, thanks again for putting through my special order to the TCL chairman. Much obliged!
    05-24-19 06:28 PM

By the way Bob, thanks again for putting through my special order to the TCL chairman. Much obliged!
    No thanks necessary... that's what friends are for. I've got your 6.

Bob
    05-24-19 06:36 PM
    I don't know how could they run this business without releasing new phones this year.

USA region used to form over 50% of BlackBerry hardware region market share, so it is extremely important.
    Without carrier support, BBMo is dead in the USA so the LE on VZW is the Hail Mary pass.
    05-24-19 06:44 PM

You don't create demand by manufacturing more units. (Ask BlackBerry Limited how that strategy worked!) TCL can only respond to actual demand. You can bet they are doing the math and estimating demand to maximize profits.

An important point to remember is that delayed sales are not lost sales. So if occasional stockouts create scarcity that allow them to maintain their pricing, it might be a net positive compared to overproducing and discounting.
    jmorgan456 and A Noise Annoys like this.
    05-24-19 06:45 PM
    TCL will release Key2 Black and Red Edition besides the Key2 LE via Amazon form mid-July.
    Clearing out inventory? The Key2 would be launching a year later and that too as an Amazon exclusive.
    John Albert likes this.
    05-24-19 07:26 PM
    The prices stated for all 3 phones are extremely high in AUD. $799, $1199 and $1399 will ensure these devices are overlooked and/or ignored by the large majority.
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-24-19 07:51 PM
    The prices stated for all 3 phones are extremely high in AUD. $799, $1199 and $1399 will ensure these devices are overlooked and/or ignored by the large majority.
    Besides the conversion rate, I seem to recall this pricing also includes some other costs to make accurate comparison from USD pricing?

The devices are never going to compare with other devices, the BBTax is about $150 USD here.
    05-24-19 08:47 PM
    Or you can buy four Alcatel 3V’s for $799 AUS.
    05-24-19 09:21 PM
    Very miserable and disappointing.
    I don't see this company around for the next year.
    05-24-19 09:39 PM
    Besides the conversion rate, I seem to recall this pricing also includes some other costs to make accurate comparison from USD pricing?

The devices are never going to compare with other devices, the BBTax is about $150 USD here.
    Direct exchange AUD - USD

$799 - $553
    $1199 - $830
    $1399 - $968

This is standard practice down under where phone / camera prices are elevated well above conversion rates. App stores jump in on the game as well.

Retailers will spin whatever rhetoric satisfies the media when they are challenged over prices. The retail association blamed online sales for their high prices and then forced a GST on all online purchases below $1000 (previously exempt).

Since this tax law change, prices have not equalised. Retailers continue to do what they did before. Small market with minimal competition = customers lose.
    05-24-19 09:45 PM
    Very miserable and disappointing.
    I don't see this company around for the next year.
    So you have said. Repeatedly.
    05-24-19 09:47 PM

$799 - $553
    $1199 - $830
    $1399 - $968

This is standard practice down under where phone / camera prices are elevated well above conversion rates. App stores jump in on the game as well.

Retailers will spin whatever rhetoric satisfies the media when they are challenged over prices. The retail association blamed online sales for their high prices and then forced a GST on all online purchases below $1000 (previously exempt).

Since this tax law change, prices have not equalised. Retailers continue to do what they did before. Small market with minimal competition = customers lose.
    People from Australia already said that Key2 was available through third parties and way cheaper.
    05-24-19 09:49 PM
    People from Australia already said that Key2 was available through third parties and way cheaper.
    Yes, it is. Grey imports with difficult warranty claim processes (if any). Not wise with the known issues of the Key 2 PKB quirkiness.
    05-24-19 09:54 PM

$799 - $553
    $1199 - $830
    $1399 - $968

Sounds like this best explains why BBMo and/or TCL didn’t include Aussieland when doing initial Key# rollout.

Sounds like the Canadian size potential with unreasonable red tape. Perhaps this isn’t even worthwhile.
    05-24-19 10:32 PM
    Sounds like this best explains why BBMo and/or TCL didn’t include Aussieland when doing initial Key# rollout.

Sounds like the Canadian size potential with unreasonable red tape. Perhaps this isn’t even worthwhile.
    I doubt their sales will get to double figures. There are no retailers carrying BlackBerry phones and therefore people do not even know they exist. Those that do know cannot handle one prior to purchase.

Add in difficult warranty claims (retailer backed only) and long freight periods for claim processes, and the problems become difficult to overcome.

The greedy conversion rate calculations and the pathetic excuses provided by those "determining" the retail price are the final nails in the coffin.
    05-24-19 10:47 PM
    no one will be buying at those prices. what a joke.
    05-25-19 06:21 AM
    And they're about halfway through the device support cycle already.
    05-25-19 06:33 AM
49 12