In fact, Google even identifies our BlackBerry devices as "Alcatel." Next time you search, see the "client id" in the address bar for your search.
    AT&T identifies my BYOD KEY2 as TCLCOMM B-Athena

Bob
    12-24-19 05:18 PM
    You're welcome. And this is the only assurance I can give, as it's the only one given to me from a TCL spokesperson:

"This was an inadvertent server configuration error where a limited number of users were impacted, and the issue has been corrected.”
    LOL, TCL really has hutzpa or whatever that is, to use the word "In-Advert-ent"....or was that "In Ad Vert($$) ent". Surely that word is a jest, maybe a pun? Was the "error" that they got caught? Just wondering.
    ppeters914 and wtigga like this.
    12-24-19 10:56 PM
    LOL, TCL really has hutzpa or whatever that is, to use the word "In-Advert-ent"....or was that "In Ad Vert($$) ent". Surely that word is a jest, maybe a pun? Was the "error" that they got caught? Just wondering.
    This should be a bigger story.
    12-24-19 11:02 PM
    Yeah, you bet. I also started to receive "Likee" update notification yesterday from the System updater. The very same updater that says that my January 2019 security patch is the latest and I have nothing to worry about.

I guess my next step should be something with Android One and virtual keyboard.
    cribble2k likes this.
    12-25-19 01:10 AM
    This should be a bigger story.
    I can see title now.

Android OEMs place bloatware on phones!!!!!!!!
    anon(10599419) likes this.
    12-25-19 08:10 AM
    I can see title now.

Android OEMs place bloatware on phones!!!!!!!!
    Oh so horrible, never heard of such a thing lol
    12-25-19 09:02 AM
    I’ve never trusted any communist state especially them.
    The concerns are real, but, unfortunately so are the politics.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    12-25-19 12:16 PM
    It doesn't have permissions to install apps from third parties and yet I got "App" installed silently anyways.
    I have notifications disabled and yet it pops up notifications suggesting install Clean Master; when long pressed, the system says I can't disable notifications for Preview.
    At this point, I assume the whole system is compromised.
    Disable the app. It won't be able to run. Also disable drawing over other apps/screen.

From my BlackBerry Q5 on Freedom Mobile 3G HSPA+
    12-25-19 02:26 PM
    I am very curious as to why this is not a front page News Article here? This by definition is "Malware" implanted by an OEM partner on a BlackBerry Branded devise! What am I missing? BlackBerry Ltd absolutely has an obligation to step in and clean up this mess! It baffles me how some folks are not concerned! This is not a $100 Chinese Burner Phone! It's a Blackberry!
    Blackberry limited doesn't make phones. They are enterprise software and security. Hardware ended in 2016.

12-25-19 02:46 PM
    I thought so too until yesterday Alas, there is nothing like BlackBerry physical keyboard experience.

Posted via BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition
    12-25-19 02:47 PM
    @conite. Just a question about Android One and bloatware. Since Google is allowing manufacturers such as Nokia and OnePlus and others to manufacture and have Android One installed, does Google allow these manufacturers to install bloatware? I know that the manufacturers have some leeway with installing camera apps and such that come installed with the phone but are they allowed to push new bloatware apps in the future?
    12-25-19 03:34 PM
    @conite. Just a question about Android One and bloatware. Since Google is allowing manufacturers such as Nokia and OnePlus and others to manufacture and have Android One installed, does Google allow these manufacturers to install bloatware? I know that the manufacturers have some leeway with installing camera apps and such that come installed with the phone but are they allowed to push new bloatware apps in the future?
    The actual wording of the relevant requirement is: "minimal amount of bloatware". I'm trying to find more info on this.
    12-25-19 04:08 PM
    Yes, the Google Pixel line gives me some hope for Android. However, I still think iPhones have a longer shelf life. My daughter has an iPhone SE that was released in 2016 and it's still going strong with updates (iOS 13.3).

The software/hardware integration with Apple is a lot "tighter" than Google, since Apple actually designs its own processors and other hardware components. Google outsources almost everything.
    Apple oursources it to foxconn in china, as most others do as well, except samsung, theirs is in south Korea (and south Korea is their initial release country).

12-25-19 09:17 PM
    Disable the app. It won't be able to run. Also disable drawing over other apps/screen.
    As you could have seen in this thread, disabling the app and disallowing it to draw over other apps is ineffective. Moreover, now it's not just Preview that do this, but also System updater. Both cannot be uninstalled or disabled permanently.
    12-26-19 01:24 AM
    That was yesterday. Today, data = currency. Location data is currency and by enabling GPS, you subject it to collection. Even buying a phone that outlines conditions at activation is consent. Let me give you an example:

An accountant in NYC leaves his apartment at 730am every weekday, taking the same train to the same location and making the return trip at 6pm. He uses Google maps in order to receive live updates regarding his specific subway line(s), delays, crowding and ETA. This is a convenience he uses. Although he has enabled its use and the data is anonymized, it goes to Google and can be sold to advertisers. What can be implied from this data?

This is his commute. The departure point in the morning is his home and the departure point in the evening is his workplace.

The more convenience you utilize, the more privacy you must forfeit. If you don't like it, turn it off or minimize its collection. The most radical option is to forego the smartphone entirely and buy a simple flip phone instead.
    Except Google doesn't "sell" your personal data.

https://safety.google/privacy/ads-and-data/

It's also worth noting that on Pixel devices (2 and up) things which traditionally had to be sent to servers to process are now done on device.

https://federated.withgoogle.com/

https://ai.googleblog.com/2017/04/fe...ative.html?m=1

Honestly, I trust Google more than BlackBerry or Apple with my information.

Finally, on Android 10, you can change location permissions as follows:

° Allow all the time
    ° Deny
    ° Allow only while using the app

^ location permissions in Android 10
    wtigga likes this.
    12-26-19 02:21 AM
    Non-targeted ads would only bring a small fraction of the required revenues.

This is the dilemma, as we are all used to very expensive services and enjoy the crowd-sourced data to improve them enormously.
    So be it. It means probably services with only perceived value will cease to exist. Real value service will remain. Can only applaud it to happen.

Just estimating the value of the services I use. Eh???

Internet browsing?

Well I sometimes use Navigation (Magic Earth) so could save on a Tomtom every 5 years. So that is 30 euro per year ( dont need tomtom though as the car has build in satnav)

I would be happy to pay for Signal.

Enjoyment of being on Crackberry of course is unpricable
    12-26-19 02:07 PM
    So be it. It means probably services with only perceived value will cease to exist. Real value service will remain. Can only applaud it to happen.

Internet browsing?

Well I sometimes use Navigation (Magic Earth) so could save on a Tomtom every 5 years. So that is 30 euro per year ( dont need tomtom though as the car has build in satnav)

But most people can get all that for free with the big two.
    12-26-19 03:51 PM

i remember uninstalling the "APP" the day i read this forum's topic. and today it appear again. uninstalling again.
    12-26-19 06:02 PM

Internet browsing?

Agreed. Many of the services are only still around because of too much venture capital sloshing from bad idea to bad idea.

The current system is as damaging to privacy as nineteenth century industry was to water quality and human health. Economists call it an "externality" when those who pay the cost of a product don't benefit from it.

People will make the argument that people DO benefit from free services, but if that were really the case, tech companies wouldn't have to keep hiding the ball. Making money off of people without their understanding and consent is called exploitation, IMO.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-26-19 06:42 PM
    So no more of this secretly installed application mumbojumbo? :P

12-26-19 07:08 PM
    Jeez. "Apps" just showed up on my KEY2 on Rogers. How do I backcharge TCL for the data it cost to install that without my permission? I want a cheque written for $0.05 for the data cost.
    12-26-19 08:02 PM
    Jeez. "Apps" just showed up on my KEY2 on Rogers. How do I backcharge TCL for the data it cost to install that without my permission? I want a cheque written for $0.05 for the data cost.
    Don't worry, they'd just credit you in a coupon.
    12-26-19 09:03 PM
    PRIV also came with PREVIEW app. Not from TCL. Have it on PRIV from day one.
    Well, that is an interesting twist after reading this far in the thread. Or perhaps it is twisting some things.
    It is on my KEYone, so I opened it there. Lo and behold, it is a device preview of what is on the phone and tutorials for them. It scrolls through them. Particularly featured are BlackBerry specific tutorials. It It scrolls through various features that are on my KEYone. I think it is a good idea to to find out what it is instead of jumping to conclusions.
    PS: Update: when I posted this I had only read a portion of the thread where people posting said the offending apps app was on their devices. I went looking on my KEYone, and it wasn't there, just the Device Preview, and I did not yet know the app at issue had recently been removed. So I was wondering what everyone had been talking about.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 12-27-19 at 02:03 AM.
    Rico4you likes this.
    12-26-19 11:08 PM
    You keep saying this, but I don't even have the Preview app on my KeyONE and I'm still getting this junk. What am I supposed to do?
    Question: what junk are people getting?
    12-26-19 11:11 PM
    I'm defending nothing.

I clearly stated that it was bad form for TCL to do this. My point was simply that it is neither a contract breach, nor a security breach. Nor does BlackBerry Limited have anything to do with it.

Now it appears to be gone, so it may have simply been an accident after all. Good on TCL for acting so quickly.
    Now I have proceeded this far reading this long thread. Perhaps I didn't check till after whatever it was, was removed and the issue was fixed. I had been too busy with Christmas prep and festivities to look into this and read the thread till this evening (Dec. 26th).
    12-27-19 12:01 AM
550 ... 1718192021 ...