The actual wording of the relevant requirement is: "minimal amount of bloatware". I'm trying to find more info on this.
    Ordered a Nokia 7.2 tonight. Average reviews from what I read but the price ($450 CAD) is easy to take given the 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security updates running Android One. I'll probably be dead before the updates stop... :-).

That TCL "apps incident" made me start looking around and since there is no Key3 coming it was easy to decide not to "upgrade" to a Key2 from my Key1 as that would cost over $800 CAD.
    12-27-19 12:25 AM
    Ordered a Nokia 7.2 tonight. Average reviews from what I read but the price ($450 CAD) is easy to take given the 2 years of OS updates and 3 years of security updates running Android One. I'll probably be dead before the updates stop... :-).

That TCL "apps incident" made me start looking around and since there is no Key3 coming it was easy to decide not to "upgrade" to a Key2 from my Key1 as that would cost over $800 CAD.
    For me, the Nokia 7.2 and the Pixel 3a are the only contenders in the mid-range slab market.

Bigger screen and SD slot with the Nokia versus better camera with the Pixel.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-27-19 12:37 AM
    For me, the Nokia 7.2 and the Pixel 3a are the only contenders in the mid-range slab market.

Bigger screen and SD slot with the Nokia versus better camera with the Pixel.
    Yeah, no SD slot on the pixel was a no go for me.

If there are any North Americans eavesdropping on this, do not order the International Version (TA 1196). LTE band issues.
    Last edited by yamahammer; 12-27-19 at 01:19 AM.
    12-27-19 12:42 AM
    Let's not pit people against each other here. I've been following this thread from the outset and I've seen valid points on both sides. @conite has made the legal claims loud and clear: TCL can push apps if it chooses to do so. BBL's power to punish TCL is minimal at best and no solution appears satisfactory or practical.

Others have shouted the ethical claim: considering the reputation of the Blackberry brand itself and the expectations its customers have had, TCL pushing Preview with the "apps" application was deliberate or negligent, but certainly did nothing to appease the Blackberry smartphone community and should be held accountable.

However, when you look at TCL's apparent abandonment of Blackberry, you see the power BBL doesn't have to compel them to get in line and the incentive to do so, weak.

The bottom line is that legally, TCL has done nothing wrong, but ethically, has done a questionable act that has upset us with good reason. Thus, our options come down to this: take appropriate measures to quarantine and limit the app's utility or abandon our devices immediately and replace them with an available alternative.

I contacted Blackberry Mobile support on Saturday and I was told that they will research it, but will not get back to me until the end of the week due to skeleton staffing over Christmas week. My hopes are not high for much of an explanation, but I will update you all here when I get a response.
    Thank you for taking the steps to look into it.
    ppeters914 and Kitadashi like this.
    12-27-19 01:55 AM
    If there are any North Americans eavesdropping on this, do not order the International Version (TA 1196). LTE band issues.
    There's an unlocked variant sold officially in Canada and the US through stores like Best Buy which should support most bands. I can't find any info on the variant number though.

Congrats on the purchase though, very happy with my Nokia 6 and Hub+ works great on stock.
    John Albert likes this.
    12-27-19 10:10 AM
    There's an unlocked variant sold officially in Canada and the US through stores like Best Buy which should support most bands. I can't find any info on the variant number though.

Congrats on the purchase though, very happy with my Nokia 6 and Hub+ works great on stock.
    The KEY2 North American brand is BBF100-2 and is available fat GotalkUSA.com . I got an email from BlackBerry Mobile with a discount code for that site. If you use KEY2XMAS it is discounted $150. The sale using the coupon runs through Jan 5, 2020. GotalkUSA has good service.
    PS-Wait--maybe the poster wasn't talking about the KEY2. Lol. My bad, if that is the case. Who would have known in a KEY2 thread.
    12-27-19 11:02 AM

Also looking for one of the recent Nokias, since upgrading to Key2 is sort of meaningles. Seems that Nokia is not tight with Chinese software developers that much, and most of their devices running Android One with expected security updates.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-28-19 07:01 AM
    Sad to see present day walter durantys trying to whitewash this. Key2 is as secure as any other Chinese C-grade phone, it just happens to use "hardened kernel" as its marketing B/S, instead of 4 SIM card tray, gazillion bad cameras or whatever else average Chinese sweatshop device has.
    12-28-19 07:13 AM
    Also looking for one of the recent Nokias, since upgrading to Key2 is sort of meaningles. Seems that Nokia is not tight with Chinese software developers that much, and most of their devices running Android One with expected security updates.
    I’m not sure if that last statement is entirely accurate. The brand Nokia is licensed to HMD is a similar manner to BlackBerry licensing deal with TCL so I’m not really convinced after seeing the last ten years.

Lenovo even bought mobile division from Google which bought from Motorola and continued to license Motorola brand. It’s the Lenovo deal with IBM licensing that originally caused all the spyware concern
    12-28-19 07:20 AM
    I’m not sure if that last statement is entirely accurate. The brand Nokia is licensed to HMD is a similar manner to BlackBerry licensing deal with TCL so I’m not really convinced after seeing the last ten years.

Lenovo even bought mobile division from Google which bought from Motorola and continued to license Motorola brand. It’s the Lenovo deal with IBM licensing that originally caused all the spyware concern
    As far as I know, HMD is not a Chinese OEM manufacturer, at least in the software development area.
    John Albert and elfabio80 like this.
    12-28-19 07:47 AM
    As far as I know, HMD is not a Chinese OEM manufacturer, at least in the software development area.
    Correct from what I can find. I’m waiting to see what develops with AT&T here beyond prepaid hardware.

However, licensed brands means I’m not dealing with original company, so I’m still watching to see more development. All the previous licensing deals with their problems have slowed my Android purchasing for now.
    12-28-19 08:01 AM
    Correct from what I can find. I’m waiting to see what develops with AT&T here beyond prepaid hardware.

However, licensed brands means I’m not dealing with original company, so I’m still watching to see more development. All the previous licensing deals with their problems have slowed my Android purchasing for now.
    HMD uses Foxconn to build their devices just like Apple does.
    12-28-19 12:20 PM

I narrowed my search to just phones that run AndroidOne and under $500 CAD. HMD phones (Nokia) are made in Taiwan, LG are made in Korea and Vietnam, OnePlus, Xioami and Moto are Chinese built. Forget the Pixel 3a, 64gb and no SD card slot.... might as well just buy a camera and use a flip phone!
    So I landed upon the Nokia 7.2 as best suiting my wants and given that it is a fresh release I'll be getting security updates until Sept 2022 and Android 11 when that roles out in 2021.
    12-28-19 03:54 PM
    I narrowed my search to just phones that run AndroidOne and under $500 CAD. HMD phones (Nokia) are made in Taiwan, LG are made in Korea and Vietnam, OnePlus, Xioami and Moto are Chinese built. Forget the Pixel 3a, 64gb and no SD card slot.... might as well just buy a camera and use a flip phone!
    So I landed upon the Nokia 7.2 as best suiting my wants and given that it is a fresh release I'll be getting security updates until Sept 2022 and Android 11 when that roles out in 2021.
    WHAT?!! Rational, logical decision making?

Who let that maniac in here?!
    12-28-19 04:09 PM
    I just need better than 3.1 currently offered from AT&T now. I need carrier version postpaid for WFC support.
    12-28-19 04:21 PM
    I just need better than 3.1 currently offered from AT&T now. I need carrier version postpaid for WFC support.
    What? AT&T is the only carrier in the Everglades? lol
    12-28-19 04:29 PM

https://www.hmdglobal.com/
    John Albert likes this.
    12-28-19 05:02 PM
    Thanks and I've seen that before. As soon as Ma Bell jumps on board.
    12-28-19 08:35 PM
    In the Netherlands it is raising some eyebrows at Tweakers that this app (a downloadstore as it is called in the article) could be installed so easily without the DTEK app alarming the owner.
    They state in the end that there still is no official statement from BlackBerry on the issue.
    Ofcourse that is no opinion but it clearly seems like nudging to one that this is a negative signal.

https://tweakers.net/nieuws/161680/d...lackberry.html
    01-01-20 02:19 AM
    In the Netherlands it is raising some eyebrows at Tweakers that this app (a downloadstore as it is called in the article) could be installed so easily without the DTEK app alarming the owner.
    They state in the end that there still is no official statement from BlackBerry on the issue.
    Ofcourse that is no opinion but it clearly seems like nudging to one that this is a negative signal.

BlackBerry's official statement would be.... These are TCL phones, please direct any questions or concerns about vendor installed software to the manufacture.
    01-03-20 10:43 AM
    Thanks and I've seen that before. As soon as Ma Bell jumps on board.
    VZW is now offering Nokia phones to post-paid customers.... I'm hoping that they'll add more of their products beyond just entry level 3V - which they can offer it for free for postpaid and also fits well with their own prepaid customers.

With both LG and Moto fading, VZW probable sees that they need something else.... So I expect they are seeing what Alcatel and HMD can offer them. While I think offering a 7.2 or a 9 Pure View would be great, I'm not sure they need devices in those price ranges...or that either company can pay to play like Google, Samsung and Apple can.

Will be interesting to see what comes of the rumors of OnePlus and Verizon this year...

But then again I'm not really interested in leaving iOS at this point.
    01-03-20 11:01 AM

Interestingly Arnoud wrote has article so poorly you easily could read it has “Blackberry software” implying it isn’t an Android phone. So most commenters blame Blackberry without realising every Android phone oem can do the same (and google as well) Lol.
    01-04-20 12:58 PM
    WHAT?!! Rational, logical decision making?

Who let that maniac in here?!
    Lol

Thumbs up for the 7.2 as well here. Running well since Xmass.
    01-04-20 01:00 PM
    So most commenters blame Blackberry without realising every Android phone oem can do the same (and google as well) Lol.
    And not a single car company or UEM manager could care less.
    01-04-20 01:11 PM
    Interestingly Arnoud wrote has article so poorly you easily could read it has “Blackberry software” implying it isn’t an Android phone. So most commenters blame Blackberry without realising every Android phone oem can do the same (and google as well) Lol.
    Yep, but the damage is done once again, because there is no statement from BlackBerry.
    01-04-20 01:14 PM
550 ... 1819202122