It would seem that all the Hype and Marketing around DroidBerry - was just that! The added Hardening of the Kernel for Security must be of the KFC variety! There is no plausible explanation or defence of how a Chinese or Russian potential SpyWare App(s) can be given unchecked access to our latest BlackBerry phones and circumvent all DTEK protocols! We need a full explanation from BlackBerry Ltd as they are responsible for securing our phones! Appalling!

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 12-20-19 at 12:14 AM.
    elfabio80, wtigga and John Albert like this.
    12-19-19 08:09 PM
    It would seem that all the Hype and Marketing around DroidBerry - was just that! The added Hardening of the Kernel for Security must be of the KFC variety! There is no explanation or defence of how a Chinese potential SpyWare App(s) can be given unchecked access to our latest BlackBerry phones and circumvent all DTEK protocols! We need a full explanation from BlackBerry Ltd as they are responsible for securing our phones! Appalling!

Posted via my Passport
    I guess the whole kernel hardening and DTEK stuff just gives the impression that a BlackBerry is a "secure" device. Not really much security if apps can be randomly installed without permission.

Honestly, I don't really care anymore about BlackBerry, just riding it out until it's time for an upgrade. I know that nobody cares that I don't care. And I don't care about that either.

I've always laughed at iPhone users, but finally came to the realisation that I was the laughing stock with my blind loyalty to a dead brand and overhyped security features that don't even come close to iOS.

LOL. Oh well. It's only a darn phone. Who really cares?
    DTEK and kernel hardening do exactly what they're supposed to do. This situation has nothing to do with either, as the Preview app is a TCL app.

The Preview app is granted the permission to draw over other apps, so that's what it will do. Turn off the permission if you don't want that to happen.

You can also prevent the app from ever opening in the first place using Power Centre.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    12-19-19 08:12 PM
    I do not believe that any member here, Corporate of Government would be cool with unchecked Chinese or Russian Apps no matter their relationship to BlackBerry Ltd! This is one of the major reasons US Carriers and Enterprise Clients said Hard Pass!

Posted via my Passport
    Last edited by Crusader03; 12-20-19 at 12:13 AM.
    12-19-19 08:16 PM
    DTEK and kernel hardening do exactly what they're supposed to do. This situation has nothing to do with either, as the Preview app is a TCL app.

The Preview app is granted the permission to draw over other apps, so that's what it will do. Turn off the permission if you don't want that to happen.

You can also prevent the app from ever opening in the first place using Power Centre.
    Permission to Draw over other apps has not been granted to the app permission because of the security demands that my company apparently has made me use. My admins or the system settings that have been implemented have not allowed this app to do so...
    Guess that's saying enough about the app.
    SEP Mobile doesn't seem to detect any threats by the way...
    Last edited by tubularbell; 12-19-19 at 08:52 PM.
    wtigga and John Albert like this.
    12-19-19 08:40 PM
    Permission to Draw over other apps has not been granted to the app permission because of the security demands that my company apparently has made me use. My admins or the system settings that have been implemented have not allowed this app to do so...
    Guess that's saying enough about the app.
    SEP Mobile doesn't seem to detect any threats by the way...
    Perfect.
    12-19-19 10:59 PM
    Perfect.
    I still can't see this as having been pushed intentionally by TCL given the glaring idiotic grammar and the Russian language app description. Something is definitely not right and needs correcting asap.
    12-19-19 11:44 PM
    I do not believe that any member here, Corporate of Government would be cool with unchecked Chinese or Russian Apps no matter their relationship to BlackBerry Ltd! This is one of the major reasons US Carriers and Enterprise Clients said Hard Pass!

Posted via my Passport
    Any EMM solution would not have that app whitelisted anyway.
    12-20-19 12:16 AM
    I still can't see this as having been pushed intentionally by TCL given the glaring idiotic grammar and the Russian language app description. Something is definitely not right and needs correcting asap.
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    12-20-19 12:17 AM
    It's the same as saying "Our patented military grade lock is impenetrable and do exactly what it's supposed to do, it's just the plywood door that sucks. Of course, our impenetrable lock can only be used and purchased with this specific thin plywood door. Nothing to worry"

There are reasons only a very, very limited circle of apps can be whitelisted, because they had to be from a trusted source. Is Google a trusted source? In my opinion, it is many times more trusted than Chinese TCL or Chinese Cheetah Mobile (Clean Master).

This is exactly how Chinese software companies are towards language aspect of the majority of their products. No surprise for me here.
    12-20-19 01:13 AM
    It's the same as saying "Our patented military grade lock is impenetrable and do exactly what it's supposed to do, it's just the plywood door that sucks. Of course, our impenetrable lock can only be used and purchased with this specific thin plywood door. Nothing to worry"
    No, it's the same as locking the front door and engaging a security system, and then complaining about what happens in the living room between family members.
    12-20-19 05:29 AM
    No, it's the same as locking the front door and engaging a security system, and then complaining about what happens in the living room between family members.
    ...only if family members were provided by the security system vendor.
    surgeon1919 likes this.
    12-20-19 06:15 AM

Definitely NO!

BlackBerry Secure and Dtek should be the strong guard that protect our OS.

Why would I hire a guard for my big house and brag about his courage everywhere, and at the same time, I should check my locks, doors, windows every night before I go bed?
    elfabio80 likes this.
    12-20-19 07:11 AM
    Definitely NO!

BlackBerry Secure and Dtek should be the strong guard that protect our OS.

Why would I hire a guard for my big house and brag about his courage everywhere, and at the same time, I should check my locks, doors, windows every night before I go bed?
    Unfortunately, family members still have keys to the house.
    Last edited by conite; 12-20-19 at 08:00 AM.
    ev44 likes this.
    12-20-19 07:23 AM
    Unfortunately, family members still have keys to the house.
    Preview is not a family member. It came with the device. User have no choice whether to have it installed or not. It is as part of BlackBerry device as DTEK. And if an app of such priority in the system have a backdoor, then having DTEK is not much of a help in terms of security and privacy.
    12-20-19 08:14 AM
    Preview is not a family member. It came with the device. User have no choice whether to have it installed or not. It is as part of BlackBerry device as DTEK. And if an app of such priority in the system have a backdoor, then having DTEK is not much of a help in terms of security and privacy.
    Pre-installed apps - like Google's and BlackBerry's and TCL's - are excluded from DTEK. So, yes, as per my analogy, they are family members.

That doesn't mean DTEK doesn't otherwise do its job. It's the eye of Sauron that looks beyond the gates of Mordor - not within.

If you don't inherently trust the company you are purchasing the phone from, then why are you purchasing their phone?
    ev44 likes this.
    12-20-19 08:21 AM
    If you don't inherently trust the company you are purchasing the phone from, then why are you purchasing their phone?
    This is precisely my point! I trusted BlackBerry right until one sunny morning I found a weird app with bad localization just installed me a fake app market, and started to send me spam notifications that I can't get rid of.

Google never did that to me, I keep using Google.
    Chinese and Russian companies did that to me, I don't use their services anymore.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-20-19 08:30 AM
    This is precisely my point! I trusted BlackBerry right until one sunny morning I found a weird app with bad localization just installed me a fake app market, and started to send me spam notifications that I can't get rid of.

Google never did that to me, I keep using Google.
    Chinese and Russian companies did that to me, I don't use their services anymore.
    And that's your prerogative. But this has nothing to do with DTEK.

One point of clarification though is that you bought your phone from TCL - not BlackBerry.
    ev44 likes this.
    12-20-19 08:31 AM
    And that's your prerogative. But this has nothing to do with DTEK.
    One point of clarification though is that you bought your phone from TCL - not BlackBerry.
    Point taken. I don't blame BlackBerry who developed DTEK, I blame the manufacturer and the current owner of the BlackBerry TM used to sell phones under BlackBerry name. We are in the Key2 topic, after all, there is only one manufacturer for those.

And this name clarification doesn't solve the problem: despite the, quote

Privacy You Control
    The most secure Android smartphone with enhanced security and privacy features built in.
    (source)

we see a heavy security breach (practically a backdoor) that was used to silently push a questionable quality apps and annoying marketing notifications on our devices. It wouldn't be a breach it was heavily controlled to be used only for security reasons (e.g. security patches). But, as we see, a Chinese marketing team also has access to it, and used it to push us with bloatware.

Turning back to the home security system analogy, if you have an impenetrable lock, you might want to store a dublicate key at the manufacturer, to open the door just in case. But if the manufacturer give those keys to an advertisement agency who sticks ads in your room while you're away, that lock doesn't make much sense.

Kudos to BlackBerry engineers, questions to BlackBerry TM owners.
    sj10689 likes this.
    12-20-19 08:46 AM
    Point taken. I don't blame BlackBerry who developed DTEK, I blame the manufacturer and the current owner of the BlackBerry TM used to sell phones under BlackBerry name. We are in the Key2 topic, after all, there is only one manufacturer for those.

And this name clarification doesn't solve the problem: despite the, quote

(source)

we see a heavy security breach (practically a backdoor) that was used to silently push a questionable quality apps and annoying marketing notifications on our devices. It wouldn't be a breach it was heavily controlled to be used only for security reasons (e.g. security patches). But, as we see, a Chinese marketing team also has access to it, and used it to push us with bloatware.

Turning back to the home security system analogy, if you have an impenetrable lock, you might want to store a dublicate key at the manufacturer, to open the door just in case. But if the manufacturer give those keys to an advertisement agency who sticks ads in your room while you're away, that lock doesn't make much sense.

Kudos to BlackBerry engineers, questions to BlackBerry TM owners.
    I would certainly agree with this. The blame is entirely on TCL, and BlackBerry's software was never intended to protect the user from the device vendor itself.
    12-20-19 08:59 AM
    I would certainly agree with this. The blame is entirely on TCL, and BlackBerry's software was never intended to protect the user from the device vendor itself.
    In my experience, TCL and their partner Optiemus do not listen to average users very much. Would BlackBerry engineers try to communicate with TCL in regard to this issue and talk some sense into them, or should users do what they do best (vote with their money and buy other vendor's phones)?
    12-20-19 09:05 AM
    In my experience, TCL and their partner Optiemus do not listen to average users very much. Would BlackBerry engineers try to communicate with TCL in regard to this issue and talk some sense into them, or should users do what they do best (vote with their money and buy other vendor's phones)?
    It doesn't look like there will be any more phones, so it's likely a moot point.
    12-20-19 09:06 AM
    It doesn't look like there will be any more phones, so it's likely a moot point.
    Welp, thanks for the honesty.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    12-20-19 09:08 AM
    There are many TCL products to boycott! Knock yourself out! I for one will not buy TCL anything. My wallet has cast it's vote.

Posted via my Passport
    John Albert, sj10689 and elfabio80 like this.
    12-20-19 09:15 AM
    There are many TCL products to boycott! Knock yourself out! I for one will not buy TCL anything. My wallet has cast it's vote.

Posted via my Passport
    That's a little premature. Let's wait for the explanation and/or fix.
    12-20-19 09:25 AM
    This is completely unacceptable!

I have been jumping through hoops trying to get a Key2. I was finally able to order one...20 days later (this morning) I received an email that my order was cancelled and no reason was given. Now with this suspicious behaviour from TCL I am glad and will finally be able to move on.
    The final push I needed.
    12-20-19 09:44 AM
550 12345 ...