You have to wonder why Chen thought it would be OK to have a Chinese company take over your brand. The optic’s were never good.
    Because BlackBerry had a no-lose proposition. They were paid millions by TCL with the potential to earn any millions more if the venture succeeded. The only business they were risking was one they had planned to shutter.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Laura Knotek and chain13 like this.
    01-12-20 11:08 AM
    That's a non-issue. Most phones are made in China and TCL is decent at manufacturing (which I can say after having tried the Titan).

They're not on Apple/Samsung/OnePlus levels of quality though.
    From an enterprise security issue, a phone manufactured in China isn't nearly as worrisome as a mainland Chinese OEM. The OEM is ultimately responsible for security, so you need to trust their design, testing, and their long-term commitment to security, since they have the ability to push updates to the phone.

Apple, and Samsung, for example, are widely trusted by Western democracies. But TCL and Huawei are not, and frankly can't be because they take direct investment and report to the Chinese government, which has a huge and aggressive offensive cyber operation and has shown a willingness to compromise IT supply chains.

01-12-20 11:14 AM
    Its handset reputation had already been sacrificed when they decided to shut down.

It has no bearing on the rest of the business as QNX and Cylance customers couldn't care less.
    You don't think it matters to customers? Wrong again!
    QNX is a special case given the segment it is in.

With regards to Cylance and UEM; there are other alternatives from vendors who are on better footing than BlackBerry and those other vendors are leading. Reputation matters and BlackBerry is still down the totem pole in that regard.
    01-12-20 11:15 AM

With regards to Cylance and UEM; there are other alternatives from vendors who are on better footing than BlackBerry and those other vendors are leading. Reputation matters and BlackBerry is still down the totem pole in that regard.
    BlackBerry's licensing handsets to TCL is not going to be a factor in a company's evaluation of BlackBerry Limited for UEM or Cylance. That's like saying I won't buy a General Motors car because their appliance business failed years ago. Completely different businesses and products.

01-12-20 11:18 AM
    You don't think it matters to customers?
    Nope.
    01-12-20 11:24 AM
    BlackBerry's licensing handsets to TCL is not going to be a factor in a company's evaluation of BlackBerry Limited for UEM or Cylance. That's like saying I won't buy a General Motors car because their appliance business failed years ago. Completely different businesses and products.

What if TCL bought in because the Chinese government hoped to get into Enterprise phones. This did not happen but what if it had? BlackBerry is selling security.

BlackBerry should have not sold the branding is my point.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    01-12-20 11:33 AM
    What if TCL bought in because the Chinese government hoped to get into Enterprise phones. This did not happen but what if it had? BlackBerry is selling security.

BlackBerry should have not sold the branding is my point.
    I think they were happy to get paid and have a shot at the business working for TCL. I'm certain that the contract had provisions to ensure TCL's good behavior. That would have given BlackBerry cover for any abuse. I think they would take the same chance again if they believed there was any reasonable chance of success.

If you want to pay me $10,000 for a car I intend to junk, with the opportunity to earn a lot more money if you become a successful driver, why on earth would I not taken the deal?

01-12-20 11:41 AM
    You have to wonder why Chen thought it would be OK to have a Chinese company take over your brand. The optic’s were never good.
    The only party asking for BB account wiring instructions?
    01-12-20 11:42 AM

What enterprise customers are making decisions regarding a shuttered consumer mobile business from three years ago
    01-12-20 11:47 AM
    What enterprise customers are making decisions regarding a shuttered consumer mobile business from three years ago
    I am talking past tense. It could have gone sideways from a security perspective. It takes years to build up a positive reputation but losing your reputation can happen very quickly.

Regardless of fault.
    01-12-20 11:58 AM
    I am talking past tense. It could have gone sideways from a security perspective. It takes years to build up a positive reputation but losing your reputation can happen very quickly.

Regardless of fault.
    I was specifically discussing the statement I quoted by other member.

I’ve been in general agreement with your points, unless I’m being asked to play devil's advocate ;-D
    01-12-20 12:00 PM
186 ... 678