It was the worst of times, it was the wettest of times... =| Apologies to Charles Dickens.

I was so excited to get my Key 2 last year; I'd been limping along on my Q10 for months without it charging properly (I had an extra one I bought off Ebay cheap and I was charging batteries in and swapping).

I can't complain about my Q10. It went through an entire wash cycle, and when it was thumping in the dryer was when I realised what I had done. I removed it, let it dry out and it started up again. I couldn't believe it! That was not long after I got it.

Another time I dropped it on a tile floor and the screen wouldn't work but I realised it still charged (the light came on), so I opened it up, found the screen ribbon cable unattached, re-attached it and it worked beautifully.

So I used it as long as I could (four years?) scuffed and not charging at the very end, until the Key 2 came out. I hate trying to type on a touchscreen, especially with long-ish nails! It's nigh impossible.

I loved my Key 2; my SO was jealous (he has a Samsung S8, but had a Z30 before that until it bricked and I couldn't save it), and my phone was fast, took better pics than his and he loved the keyboard.

Until last week - I dropped it in water for one second, and it seemed okay at first then got into a boot loop. Tried to dry it out, but it would only get so far as the three geometric shapes and then blackscreen.

Took it to a local CPR place and they called today - said it can't be revived and are referring me to a data recovery place.

Now, with a sick cat that needs an MRI and having already put an engine in my truck this year, I need a new cellphone.

I've already called myself every bad name in the book for my one moment of carelessness in a busy day. One moment, and I've lost a $650 investment with some data I hadn't yet backed up, either. I took the stability of my previous experience as an indicator; I was told Key2 was water resistant, I know a dunking isn't that, but I guess I just thought it was a stronger phone.

I just have a hard time fathoming the difference in my experiences with Blackberry devices. The Q10 seemed practically indestructible. (In fact, the Curve I had before the Q10 I had in my jacket and slammed it in my car door and cracked the screen when taking a friend to the emergency room, and it still booted and mostly worked; it would just sometimes reboot at odd moments, but always came back up.)

I'm not sure what to do - thinking of buying an LE because it's cheaper but I still get the keyboard, but now I am very worried something will happen again. I saw another thread where a guy said his phone got damp in his pocket and it stopped working; I've searched BB's site, can't find anything on the water resistance I was told about for the phones (caveat emptor).

I live in the Pacific Northwest, so it kind of rains here... a lot.

Pretty bummed right now, not sure what to do. =|
    04-13-19 01:43 PM
    Sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstance... I feel for you. I don't know where you read, or who might have told you the KEY2 is water resistant, but as you discovered it is not. Unfortunately you were misinformed...

Bob
    04-13-19 02:05 PM
    If you want a keyboard, then, it's got to be BB android. I have the LE and can recommend it if you want to spend less.
    The Motion is water resistant, but out of stock and a touch screen.

And, you really need to look after your phones!!
    04-13-19 02:08 PM
    Thanks, Bob.

Like I said, I'm just disappointed that I could have had experience with BB's being super resilient, and then read on another thread - while researching about water damage - that even a damp pocket could affect it. Surely they could have done something between the Key1 and Key2 to improve it's water resistance? The Q10 had a keyboard as well, and it was far more durable.

To be honest, it makes me doubt going forward with BlackBerry, although I feel compelled to because typing on a touchscreen is so kludgey.
    04-13-19 02:11 PM
    I try to, although I might seem otherwise. It's been a crazy few years, and with something as commonly used as a phone, it's inevitable it will get some wear. When I smashed my Curve in the door for example, it was because I was rushing out of the driver's side of my truck to help my friend out (who needed to go to the hospital), and the seat belt caught my jacket, trapping it as I tried to shut the door; just a stupid thing - ridiculous, really.

This time it was already a hard morning - sick cat missed the litter box again (he tries so hard) , had to drive the SO to work because his car wouldn't start and in the rush I just knocked it. Like I said, I've been berating myself for too much haste, and the price is a new phone and possibly some lost data. So to say I'm sad about it especially considering what I'm juggling ATM is an understatement.

Do you feel the LE is slow? Or that you are missing something by using it? What made you decide on it as opposed to the regular Key2?
    04-13-19 02:22 PM
    The first thing I would do is research how to not put your smartphone in the washer, drop it on a tile floor, or put it in water.

Next, the LE is a very good device. Not slow at all and, unless you are a power user, will do you just fine.

Best of luck.
    04-13-19 03:02 PM
    It was the worst of times, it was the wettest of times... =| Apologies to Charles Dickens.

I was so excited to get my Key 2 last year; I'd been limping along on my Q10 for months without it charging properly (I had an extra one I bought off Ebay cheap and I was charging batteries in and swapping).

I can't complain about my Q10. It went through an entire wash cycle, and when it was thumping in the dryer was when I realised what I had done. I removed it, let it dry out and it started up again. I couldn't believe it! That was not long after I got it.

Another time I dropped it on a tile floor and the screen wouldn't work but I realised it still charged (the light came on), so I opened it up, found the screen ribbon cable unattached, re-attached it and it worked beautifully.

So I used it as long as I could (four years?) scuffed and not charging at the very end, until the Key 2 came out. I hate trying to type on a touchscreen, especially with long-ish nails! It's nigh impossible.

I loved my Key 2; my SO was jealous (he has a Samsung S8, but had a Z30 before that until it bricked and I couldn't save it), and my phone was fast, took better pics than his and he loved the keyboard.

Until last week - I dropped it in water for one second, and it seemed okay at first then got into a boot loop. Tried to dry it out, but it would only get so far as the three geometric shapes and then blackscreen.

Took it to a local CPR place and they called today - said it can't be revived and are referring me to a data recovery place.

Now, with a sick cat that needs an MRI and having already put an engine in my truck this year, I need a new cellphone.

I've already called myself every bad name in the book for my one moment of carelessness in a busy day. One moment, and I've lost a $650 investment with some data I hadn't yet backed up, either. I took the stability of my previous experience as an indicator; I was told Key2 was water resistant, I know a dunking isn't that, but I guess I just thought it was a stronger phone.

I just have a hard time fathoming the difference in my experiences with Blackberry devices. The Q10 seemed practically indestructible. (In fact, the Curve I had before the Q10 I had in my jacket and slammed it in my car door and cracked the screen when taking a friend to the emergency room, and it still booted and mostly worked; it would just sometimes reboot at odd moments, but always came back up.)

I'm not sure what to do - thinking of buying an LE because it's cheaper but I still get the keyboard, but now I am very worried something will happen again. I saw another thread where a guy said his phone got damp in his pocket and it stopped working; I've searched BB's site, can't find anything on the water resistance I was told about for the phones (caveat emptor).

Pretty bummed right now, not sure what to do. =|
    Why not get a KeyOne Black Edition... I have one and it is a great phone... I too have to have a pkb and love mine only KeyOne...

https://www.amazon.com/BlackBerry-KE...UvbUpU13375904
    04-13-19 03:07 PM
    Something I've done if I'm worried my phone will get wet when it's raining is put it inside a plastic Ziploc® bag. That way it won't get wet and is still fully functional. (except for the camera ;p)

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-13-19 03:25 PM
    OP, it is not Q10 was better, it was two different cases - (1) Q10 got wet and went through dry cycle - completely dried before you powered on; (2) K2 you powered on while still wet (possibly inside) - that causes electromigration most likely, - short circuit some places. If it was sea water or dirty water, worse than your washing cycle. Look like you are in the user environment that water resistance is daily life. either get a good case, or put in ziplock bag, or just get a water resistance IPX phone. IMHO. Sorry for your lost. Q10's event didn't make you more careful, hopefully, K2 would. Best of luck in the future. by the way, you should try to see if third party or BBMo official repair house can repair your phone. 650 is a lot of money on my book.
    04-13-19 03:33 PM
    Lol you stuck with a Q10 which is slow as hell for 4 years before moving to the KEY2 ?

Of course the LE is fast enough for you then!

Be careful with your next phone, whatever it might be...

You can try to sell your KEY2 on eBay for parts
    04-14-19 03:59 AM
    04-14-19 08:18 PM