Sigh.... Did both of you miss the part where it’s a blacklisted IMEI so no USA carrier will activate. LOL - sometimes it’s the simplest of reasons
    In that case I guess he could resort to an un-blacklisting website to get that KEY2 operable again here.
    03-30-21 04:37 PM
    Worst case, you can probably still get a decent amount for it on eBay, since resale value is so high these days, especially silver ones.

If it doesn't work on T-Mo, does that mean it for sure wouldn't work on an MVNO that uses T-Mo towers, such as Mint Metro?
    I dont know. Only way to find out is to buy a sim and get a month of service. I hate Metro because if you want to change phones you have to take in a new phone and have them give access in order to use the phone. No sim swapping from phone to phone like normal carriers. I may try Mint Mobile or another small MVNO just to use the phone as a backup phone
    03-30-21 04:39 PM
    I dont know. Only way to find out is to buy a sim and get a month of service. I hate Metro because if you want to change phones you have to take in a new phone and have them give access in order to use the phone. No sim swapping from phone to phone like normal carriers. I may try Mint Mobile or another small MVNO just to use the phone as a backup phone
    Don’t waste your money until you get un-blacklisted as boon suggested.
    03-30-21 04:42 PM
    I'm using Mint on my BBF100-6 KEY2, works great except that the reception is definitely not as good as when I was with T-Mobile, even though it's the same exact cell towers being used.

But like some said, if it's really blacklisted it may not work on Mint either until you get it off that blacklist.
    03-30-21 04:43 PM
    Sigh.... Did both of you miss the part where it’s a blacklisted IMEI so no USA carrier will activate. LOL - sometimes it’s the simplest of reasons
    I see....................................so you go with simple....eh? Well the big Dog always goes for the throat..........LOL Real Men never read the whole post you know......LOL
    MBrettH likes this.
    03-30-21 05:40 PM
    I see....................................so you go with simple....eh? Well the big Dog always goes for the throat..........LOL Real Men never read the whole post you know......LOL
    LMAO
    03-30-21 05:43 PM
    LMAO
    When you can the time a cold one is waiting
    03-30-21 05:45 PM
    When you can the time a cold one is waiting
    04-23-21 08:19 AM
    I have a KEY2 and only AT&T works in our area. You say my phone won't work when AT&T goes with 5G because it's "blacklisted." If that's the case, how do we get it off the blacklist? What websites will do this and can they be trusted? Thanks!
    04-23-21 08:22 AM
    I have a KEY2 and only AT&T works in our area. You say my phone won't work when AT&T goes with 5G because it's "blacklisted." If that's the case, how do we get it off the blacklist? What websites will do this and can they be trusted? Thanks!
    It’s not about 3G/4G/5G in the case of Key2 but that AT&T has already started kicking off non-supported devices from VoLTE already under some kind of security or system protocols. There seem to be network system checks in place.

I suspect that people switching their SIM cards in and out using their various devices is triggering problem. I don’t see anyone being denied access yet but that still can happen. Keep in mind that Key2 hasn’t ever been officially supported. It seems that, AT&T users on Key2 are usually able to call in and have device reprovisioned since the current explanation was a security flag.
    04-23-21 08:37 AM
    Worst case you can sell it for parts...

But it's strange that VZW would have reported it, I thought they only did that with devices they sold.
    04-23-21 08:39 AM
    As noted, for the Key2, it's not the 5G. It's just plain "support". After all, AT&T will support the KeyOne, but only the KeyOne they sold.

There are no websites that can get a device "un-blacklisted". The blocking is done by AT&T's own internal network checks. No one on the outside can get in and change things like that.

Well, maybe the Russian, North Korean and Chinese hackers with their government's backing. But not someone you can just pull up a site for and say " hey, get my phone unblocked".
    04-23-21 08:58 AM
    I have my K2 on ATT and have had it there since new. It works basically fine. I cannot call over Internet, just over cell service. I have Google voice available that I can use in the rare event that I need to call and have no cell service while I do have Internet Wi-Fi.

This is not about the K2 or any particular phone. Att basically will not allow Wi-Fi calling for any phone they did not sell except iPhones. That was told to me and I have read it several other places. Is that reasonable? I submit not. But it is not like it caused a mass exodus.

There are pros and cons to each carrier. Weigh them out pick one. In my case I am grandfathered into a favorable plan and Att works best - by far - at my home. Plus the rest of the fam is on iPhones. So ....
    04-23-21 09:11 AM
    I have my K2 on ATT and have had it there since new. It works basically fine. I cannot call over Internet, just over cell service. I have Google voice available that I can use in the rare event that I need to call and have no cell service while I do have Internet Wi-Fi.

This is not about the K2 or any particular phone. Att basically will not allow Wi-Fi calling for any phone they did not sell except iPhones. That was told to me and I have read it several other places. Is that reasonable? I submit not. But it is not like it caused a mass exodus.

There are pros and cons to each carrier. Weigh them out pick one. In my case I am grandfathered into a favorable plan and Att works best - by far - at my home. Plus the rest of the fam is on iPhones. So ....
    Yeah I think a few here feel they are making some difference in their "protest" against AT&T. But the bottom line, is the bottom line for any company, and AT&T's seems to be doing well - at least that's what their earning report shows. They grew their subscribers, had near record low churn, beat all Wall Street Forecasts.... they are doing something right.

Never going to please everyone, but then that usually isn't any business goal. They might be just fine not bending over backwards to support BYOD beyond the current phones that 90% of people in US already use.
    MBrettH likes this.
    04-23-21 10:00 AM
    Worst case you can sell it for parts...

But it's strange that VZW would have reported it, I thought they only did that with devices they sold.
    I'm going to assume they used the Verizon Sim hack to get the phone to work on Verizon's network and just reported the phone stolen and gave them the IMEI number to make sure no one else could use the phone
    04-23-21 10:02 AM
    The "carrier support" in the US is such b/s. While the rest of the world can stick any SIM into any phone and enjoy the full service, US customers have to deal with the "carrier lock", "provisioning" and other things long-forgotten by the rest of the (more civilized) mobile world. T-Mo is No. 1 in the DC area, I've switched from AT&T 5 years ago and never looked back.
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-24-21 08:31 PM
    The "carrier support" in the US is such b/s. While the rest of the world can stick any SIM into any phone and enjoy the full service, US customers have to deal with the "carrier lock", "provisioning" and other things long-forgotten by the rest of the (more civilized) mobile world. T-Mo is No. 1 in the DC area, I've switched from AT&T 5 years ago and never looked back.
    At the end of the day, they would just have to raise their monthly subscriber fees in order to provide support to BYODs. It all comes out in the wash - pay out of one pocket, or the other.
    04-24-21 09:08 PM
    I don’t see any benefits to factory unlocked when I factor in the higher device prices or higher plan costs versus the USA pricing overall.

When I say that, I genuinely mean that I’d enjoy someone pointing out some benefits. Back in the 90s and going into 00s, there’s far more carrier fragmentation. Now, I personally just don’t see extra benefits trade off.
    04-24-21 10:30 PM
    It’s not about 3G/4G/5G in the case of Key2 but that AT&T has already started kicking off non-supported devices from VoLTE already under some kind of security or system protocols. There seem to be network system checks in place.

I suspect that people switching their SIM cards in and out using their various devices is triggering problem. I don’t see anyone being denied access yet but that still can happen. Keep in mind that Key2 hasn’t ever been officially supported. It seems that, AT&T users on Key2 are usually able to call in and have device reprovisioned since the current explanation was a security flag.
    Its more of....buy our phones....T-Mobile has no issues if I change out my phone and I do either to a Passport/Classic/Priv/Keytwo/Titan no issues a message will arrive: your phone needs a small amount of software, we are sending it to your phone.
    04-25-21 11:17 AM
    Personally, I'm so disillusioned with the carriers and the OEMs that my only goal is to spend as little money as possible for essential service. Currently, with Work From Home, I'm spending < $30 a month for data for three phones, each of which was free or heavily discounted.

My total mobile budget (phone + service) for three phones from 2013-2020 was $2,500 a year (with AT&T). It's now <$600 with another carrier, and I still feel like I'm not getting sufficient value.
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-25-21 08:43 PM
    Personally, I'm so disillusioned with the carriers and the OEMs that my only goal is to spend as little money as possible for essential service. Currently, with Work From Home, I'm spending < $30 a month for data for three phones, each of which was free or heavily discounted.

My total mobile budget (phone + service) for three phones from 2013-2020 was $2,500 a year (with AT&T). It's now <$600 with another carrier, and I still feel like I'm not getting sufficient value.
    Try T mobile and look at the different plans as well as prepaid.
    04-26-21 06:09 PM
    Try T mobile and look at the different plans as well as prepaid.
    I'm sorted, thanks. I'm paying less than $8.00 per line per month for 1GB shared data, which is more than enough in a work-from-home world. So my budget is approx. $100 per device per year for service and $100 per device per year towards upgrades for a total of $600 per year for three lines.

In 2021 mobile phones are as exciting as concrete or potatoes for me. I'm not going to waste brainpower on the differences between a bunch of products and services that no longer significantly enhance my life. I'd rather spend the time and money on dozens of other things.

Posted via CB10
    bh7171 likes this.
    04-26-21 07:59 PM
    In 2021 mobile phones are as exciting as concrete or potatoes for me.
    Now that, we can agree on.
    04-26-21 09:30 PM
    Now that, we can agree on.
    I think the difference between us is that you still long for something more and hope someone will make your dream PKB Android device.

I, on the other hand, can't get my problem solved by a single OEM. I need the whole system to change. So, I have surrendered to the fact that there is no fix for what bothers me about mobile, which is that every phone made, and the entire ecosystem, prioritizes the consumer over the professional user. When reviews stop mentioning cameras and screen specs, and when the app stores stop carrying hundreds of thousands of junk apps, I'll reconsider. Until then, I'm out.

Posted via CB10
    04-26-21 10:40 PM
    At the end of the day, they would just have to raise their monthly subscriber fees in order to provide support to BYODs. It all comes out in the wash - pay out of one pocket, or the other.
    Fees in US already are far costly than in other parts of the world.

Here in France we can use any BYOD phones with our carrier plan, and we can have unlimited calls, SMS, MMS and 30 or 40 Gb for €15.

So I don't buy this one.

True is than US carriers are so powerful they can provide a lesser service for an higher price.
    bh7171 and bibbula like this.
    04-27-21 02:37 AM
331 ... 23456 ...