https://www.wsj.com/articles/at-t-gi...ve-11550765221

Quote: "AT&T Inc. said it plans to stop serving devices that use third-generation wireless technology in early 2022 as it makes room for more powerful standards. The decision, disclosed in a Wednesday regulatory filing, comes after rival Verizon Communications Inc. warned consumers it will stop serving 3G cellphones at the end of this year."

Where does that leave Key2 users (and users of a lot of other devices) that area not authorized for VoLTE? It seems like AT&T could use this as an opportunity to get rid of BYOD. I sure hope they come up with a VoLTE BYOD solution.
    02-21-19 03:07 PM
    Where does that leave Key2 users (and users of a lot of other devices) that area not authorized for VoLTE?
    You'll still have access to LTE as you do today, VoLTE isn't a requirement for LTE speeds/connection.
    02-21-19 03:17 PM
    You'll still have access to LTE as you do today, VoLTE isn't a requirement for LTE speeds/connection.
    How will I make a call if there is no VoLTE and no 3G network to fall back to for calls?
    02-21-19 03:21 PM
    How will I make a call if there is no VoLTE and no 3G network to fall back to for calls?
    Much like you stated, they'll have to come up with a solution to support it or open up VoLTE to all. (Some Canadian carriers have already started this) But given it's 3 yrs out, it gives that 11% (as of the end of 2018) of customers still using 3G devices to move off of them.
    02-21-19 03:30 PM

Quote: "AT&T Inc. said it plans to stop serving devices that use third-generation wireless technology in early 2022 as it makes room for more powerful standards. The decision, disclosed in a Wednesday regulatory filing, comes after rival Verizon Communications Inc. warned consumers it will stop serving 3G cellphones at the end of this year."

Where does that leave Key2 users (and users of a lot of other devices) that area not authorized for VoLTE? It seems like AT&T could use this as an opportunity to get rid of BYOD. I sure hope they come up with a VoLTE BYOD solution.
    Believe it or not, that is one of the exact main reasons that I left AT&T. Went to T-Mobile. And my friend who is still on AT&T actually has worse coverage than I do. I've been pleasantly surprised by T-Mobile's coverage, I have noticed significant improvement in my coverage and I have VoLTE straight out the box, no hassle.
    02-21-19 03:33 PM
    Believe it or not, that is one of the exact main reasons that I left AT&T. Went to T-Mobile. And my friend who is still on AT&T actually has worse coverage than I do. I've been pleasantly surprised by T-Mobile's coverage, I have noticed significant improvement in my coverage and I have VoLTE straight out the box, no hassle.
    Unfortunately, I am in the reverse situation having left T-Mobile for AT&T. I travel to a lot of rural (I mean REALLY rural) areas for work. T-Mobile just wouldn't cut it when I was only getting a signal after I drove back to a hotel at the end of the day.
    02-21-19 03:40 PM
    Much like you stated, they'll have to come up with a solution to support it or open up VoLTE to all. (Some Canadian carriers have already started this) But given it's 3 yrs out, it gives that 11% (as of the end of 2018) of customers still using 3G devices to move off of them.
    I suspect that 11% figure only includes devices which are not LTE capable. This would not capture BYOD LTE devices which currently must use 3G to make voice calls. I would be interested in finding the percentage of users with non iPhone BYOD.
    02-21-19 03:45 PM
    Unfortunately, I am in the reverse situation having left T-Mobile for AT&T. I travel to a lot of rural (I mean REALLY rural) areas for work. T-Mobile just wouldn't cut it when I was only getting a signal after I drove back to a hotel at the end of the day.
    and of course your mileage may vary lol
    02-21-19 04:01 PM
    Given that your KEY2 will actually last that long.
    02-21-19 04:18 PM

If you start saving $15 per month now, you'll have enough money for a new phone by the time this happens.
    02-21-19 04:56 PM
    3 years is forever in the phone life cycle. We can worry about it then. I am sure something will give. Always does.
    02-22-19 07:18 AM
    By 2022 the KEY2 would be discontinued by TCL even in the best case scenario, so there's not much impetus for them to plan ahead for a carrier that they don't even authorize the phone for in the first place.
    Vistaus likes this.
    02-22-19 09:14 AM
    I expect that in three year the support for BYOD will have expanded to allow more devices... but not sure if the KEY2 will get included in that. Maybe the KEY4 or KEY5...

Based on Verizon's BYOD implementation... it's clear not every device will qualify for "support". Will that change over time.... I expect it will, to a degree. Think a good portion of US Consumers are less interested in Samsung and Apple's $1000+ devices and would like to see more of Nokia and some of those value Chinese flagships.

But then by 2022.... I expect there will be fewer phone manufacture's out there. Ones already failing like Sony, LG, HTC and TCL Communication won't last that long.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-22-19 09:48 AM
    I guess AT&T can only carry one lie at a time.

No more Faux-G (3G branded as 4G) just after they launch their 'fake' 5GE (it's really LTE).

Deceit is so exhausting. Poor AT&T.
    02-22-19 04:33 PM
    I guess AT&T can only carry one lie at a time.

No more Faux-G (3G branded as 4G) just after they launch their 'fake' 5GE (it's really LTE).

Deceit is so exhausting. Poor AT&T.
    It makes AT&T customers like myself feel better though....LOL
    02-22-19 05:20 PM