When it was time to activate my key2 on AT&T, I moved over the sim from my already activated keyone. Of course with K2 being brand-spanking new, the AT&T rep said there is "no data plan" for this phone". however, it was working fine when I put the sim from the K1 to K2 so I told them to just leave it as "keyone" in the system. This has been working fine for weeks now, and I don't anticipate any problems, but I'm just wondering your thoughts if (and when?) AT&T will officially "allow" the K2 as a BYOD unlocked device (as they did with K1), and of course would this change anything as far as the LTE service goes.....OR are we done seeing any US carriers throw any bones to Blackberry?
    08-04-18 01:23 PM
    You will not have WiFi calling (just like you don't on Keyone), HD Voice (VoLTE) or ancillary services like AT&T Call Protect. It's an unlocked unbranded device.

Even the AT&T branded Keyone does not have WiFi calling (but does have the other services).
    08-04-18 02:06 PM
    Can anyone with K2 on AT&T check if they can enable Hotspot?
    08-04-18 02:34 PM
    Yep, use it all the time. No issues.
    08-04-18 03:24 PM
    With so many unlocked devices out there carriers need to get use to this and allow all of their functions for unlocked devices.
    08-04-18 04:51 PM
    With so many unlocked devices out there carriers need to get use to this and allow all of their functions for unlocked devices.
    They make more money and have more control the way things are right now, so they don't plan to change.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that operates as a carrier should. That's why they've had 18 quarters of record growth.
    08-04-18 09:09 PM
    I am on AT&T and so far the Key2 works great thankfully I don't need WiFi calling but HD calling would be nice. As BYOD gains traction I am sure carriers will allow all the features to work.
    08-05-18 01:57 AM
    I am on AT&T and so far the Key2 works great thankfully I don't need WiFi calling but HD calling would be nice. As BYOD gains traction I am sure carriers will allow all the features to work.
    Actually it’s the opposite with the carriers. They’ve used enhanced calling features as way to legally encourage people to buy carrier devices over BYOD.
    08-06-18 04:33 AM
    T-Mobile is what's gaining traction.
    08-06-18 07:42 AM
    You will not have WiFi calling (just like you don't on Keyone), HD Voice (VoLTE) or ancillary services like AT&T Call Protect. It's an unlocked unbranded device.

Even the AT&T branded Keyone does not have WiFi calling (but does have the other services).
    You can add NumberSync to the list of AT&T services not possible and blocked on unlocked non-AT&T branded phone like the current Key2 (and unlocked KEYone).

So wearable buyers beware. AT&T corporate store sales representatives, AT&T customer service and AT&T technical support reps all insist NumberSync is compatible with all phones including those unlocked like the KEYone (and now Key2), only to find out after purchasing a Samsung Gear S3 Frontier at an AT&T corporate store that NumberSync does NOT work... and get a load of this crass error message while attempting to activate AT&T NumberSync with an unlocked KEY2 (and KEYone)...

Is AT&T going to recognize KEY2 as an actual device on their network?-screenshot_20180607-120937.jpg

Perhaps someday AT&T will truly embrace bring-your-own-device and stop intentionally misleading potential new (and existing) customers and make available all its services to all its customers and stop penalizing customers with unlocked BYOD. T-Mobile is looking better everyday to this loyal 30-year (yes, 30) AT&T customer. I'm sure T-Mobile would love to fully service my 4 device account.

To the original post, I switched out the SIM card from an unlocked KEYone to KEY2 and having no issues with data. I wish I could say the same for AT&T HD Voice (VoLTE), NumberSync and other AT&T propriety services.
    Last edited by trombetta; 08-06-18 at 09:35 AM.
    08-06-18 08:57 AM
    I can and I shouldn't be allowed to since I'm on an unlimited ATT plan. With an ATT branded phone, I'm not able to activate a hotspot due to the unlimited data. Pretty cool that I can. I have not and likely won't update the IMEI with ATT.
    08-10-18 09:50 AM
    K2 works fine with ATT. if any issues outside of specific carrier-based services arise, the resolution is to register your IMEI and to check your APN settings.
    08-10-18 09:39 PM
    They make more money and have more control the way things are right now, so they don't plan to change.

T-Mobile is the only carrier that operates as a carrier should. That's why they've had 18 quarters of record growth.
    Troy how is T-mobile's reception compared to AT&T. I know it depends on what area, I'm in Austin, Tx. Maybe it's time to switch back to T-Mobile.

Posted via CB10
    08-10-18 11:39 PM
    Troy how is T-mobile's reception compared to AT&T. I know it depends on what area, I'm in Austin, Tx. Maybe it's time to switch back to T-Mobile.
    As you said, it's different everywhere, BUT a lot has changed in the last couple of years and change continues as bands are refarmed and old services converted to new, so it's worth trying. You can always walk away at any time.
    08-11-18 10:00 PM
    As you said, it's different everywhere, BUT a lot has changed in the last couple of years and change continues as bands are refarmed and old services converted to new, so it's worth trying. You can always walk away at any time.
    Thank you for your response! I think I might check it out.

Posted via CB10
    08-11-18 10:07 PM
    K2 works fine with ATT. if any issues outside of specific carrier-based services arise, the resolution is to register your IMEI and to check your APN settings.
    You will not have VoLTE or WiFi calling as well as most other add on services like mobile protect without it being branded.
    08-11-18 10:55 PM
    Correct. As those are carrier-based services.
    08-11-18 11:03 PM
    "Gains traction" - were they living in a cave last 5 years...

Posted via CB10
    jfalkingham likes this.
    08-11-18 11:07 PM
    Another "feature" that I cannot get working is voicemail. Don't get me wrong, I don't use voicemail much (I actually use YouMail) and I won't miss it terribly, however, shouldn't basic voicemail work on the phone? I am trying to active the call forwarding code *61 or *22 or whatever it is, when youmail app tries it, I get an error INVALID MMI CODE. any * command that I try to dial manually I get the same error. If it matters, I am on a corporate plan. This is another reason I despise AT&T.....once it rings out when some is calling me, it goes to a BUSY SIGNAL! any ideas?
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    08-12-18 08:22 PM
    When it was time to activate my key2 on AT&T, I moved over the sim from my already activated keyone. Of course with K2 being brand-spanking new, the AT&T rep said there is "no data plan" for this phone". however, it was working fine when I put the sim from the K1 to K2 so I told them to just leave it as "keyone" in the system. This has been working fine for weeks now, and I don't anticipate any problems, but I'm just wondering your thoughts if (and when?) AT&T will officially "allow" the K2 as a BYOD unlocked device (as they did with K1), and of course would this change anything as far as the LTE service goes.....OR are we done seeing any US carriers throw any bones to Blackberry?
    they're just getting lazy. I have my keyone under sprint I took it in cause my app has been acting up that I use for work and the guy said nobody likes to work on blackberries anymore. he even said that my keyone wasn't a sprint phone (which it is for sprint), he then went on his ipad acted like he was trying to fix the problem and he kept answering phone calls talking about vacation this, 5 days off that. second phone call he was asking if they were going to meet him at a bart station when he gets off, and he was scrolling up and down on my phone in the network settings while his ipad NEVER loaded . it really ticked me off I canceled with sprint I am now waiting for my key2 and I am going with T-Mobile.
    07-03-19 09:48 PM
    AT&T has just put out a list of cellphones that will work on their network when they move to 5G in 2022. The only BlackBerry phones on the list are: KEYOne and Priv. Not on the list are KEY2 and KEY2LE. I currently use -- and still love -- my Priv, which I bought in-store at AT&T. Anticipating that no phone lasts forever, but knowing I must have a physical keyboard for all the lengthy emails I must write, I recently bought an unlocked (GSM) KEY2 from Go Talk. Actually, we bought two KEY2 phones -- one to eventually replace my husband's BB Torch 9810, which he still loves and which works fine. AT&T is the only network that gets a signal in our neighborhood. Verizon and others are not an option. Any thoughts about AT&T not including the KEY2 and KEY2LE on their 5G list? Is it really possible we won't get a signal with KEY2 phones when AT&T switches to 5G?
    03-10-20 08:08 PM
    The reason for that limited list is because those are the only "recent" BB phones that AT&T has sold themselves, and have thus fully certified them to work on their network. The Key2 will work as a BYOD phone, but AT&T doesn't support "advanced call functions" on BYOD phones - they want you to buy your phone from them. So, you might not get WiFi calling, or Hotspot capability, or whatever they decide not to support, and there's nothing you can do about it other than buy a fully supported phone from them. This does not just affect BB-branded phones, but ANY unlocked phones you bring to AT&T that don't have an Apple logo on the back.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-10-20 08:53 PM
    So you think I'll be able to use the KEY2 on AT&T's 5G, but just won't have the fancier stuff like WiFi Calling, etc.? There's no WiFi Calling on my AT&T-purchased Priv, anyway. Hmmm... I'm wondering if I should activate the KEY2 now and use it for the next two years. I'd put away the Priv and not use it for two years in order to preserve it. Then, in February 2022 when AT&T's 5G fully takes effect, I would put the KEY2 away and put the SIM card back into the Priv. Thoughts on any or all of this... like will the KEY2 work at all on AT&T's 5G?
    03-11-20 02:09 AM
    So you think I'll be able to use the KEY2 on AT&T's 5G, but just won't have the fancier stuff like WiFi Calling, etc.? There's no WiFi Calling on my AT&T-purchased Priv, anyway. Hmmm... I'm wondering if I should activate the KEY2 now and use it for the next two years. I'd put away the Priv and not use it for two years in order to preserve it. Then, in February 2022 when AT&T's 5G fully takes effect, I would put the KEY2 away and put the SIM card back into the Priv. Thoughts on any or all of this... like will the KEY2 work at all on AT&T's 5G?
    I don't understand your plan.

If you like using the Priv more than the KEY2, then keep using it until it really becomes too slow to be serviceable.

Once that happens, just switch to your KEY2.

Or, switch to the KEY2 now and keep the Priv as a backup phone or sell it, they can still go for about $90 - $130 used on eBay.
    03-11-20 07:09 AM
    You’re way overthinking all this. Use the best device for you now. Until 5G is fully implemented by AT&T, you have no idea about how your specific footprint will be affected...
    Troy Tiscareno and jmorgan456 like this.
    03-11-20 08:11 AM
48 12