AT&T Heads-up - I tried switching back to my Passport today, and my SIM got locked. I was unable to bring up my Key 2. Called AT&T and they unlocked it, it's working fine. Something about the Passport not having HD Voice... Which is just their way of saying they don't want to support it.
    While with the tech, I asked about Key 2 support after Feb 2022. All her documentation stated it won't be supported, despite it being a newer phone.
    I asked her why are they allowing BYOD with the expectation not all services will work when BYOD might not work at all in less than a year - and she said she had no influence over the policy change. I mentioned the other phones I'm interested in purchasing this month to replace the Key 2, and none on her list - which means none are going to work after their transition period.

I'm looking at:
    Unihertz Titan
    Asus ROG 5 (But it is HUGE!)
    LG G8s

All of which are wider than the competition and 3.5MM audio jacks. I'm looking for a phone I can read PDFs on without turning the phone sideways or swiping side to side. So the phone has to be over 3" wide. But... I hate having a tall phone as the holsters catch in network closets. That's why I liked the Passport and why I'll give the Titan a try. I've already told the support person I'll be switching to T-Mobile because of this, and they are likely going to lose a ton of customers when their phones all stop working.

So... I'm going to post my question to AT&T via Twitter. Any other public forums I should try asking for policy clarification?
    to boldly go likes this.
    04-06-21 05:27 PM
    Its not just att though. All 4 major carriers will be doing this. At some point the passport just wont be allowed on any of the networks
    04-06-21 06:27 PM
    AT&T Heads-up - I tried switching back to my Passport today, and my SIM got locked. I was unable to bring up my Key 2. Called AT&T and they unlocked it, it's working fine. Something about the Passport not having HD Voice... Which is just their way of saying they don't want to support it.
    While with the tech, I asked about Key 2 support after Feb 2022. All her documentation stated it won't be supported, despite it being a newer phone.
    I asked her why are they allowing BYOD with the expectation not all services will work when BYOD might not work at all in less than a year - and she said she had no influence over the policy change. I mentioned the other phones I'm interested in purchasing this month to replace the Key 2, and none on her list - which means none are going to work after their transition period.

I'm looking at:
    Unihertz Titan
    LG G8s

All of which are wider than the competition and 3.5MM audio jacks. I'm looking for a phone I can read PDFs on without turning the phone sideways or swiping side to side. So the phone has to be over 3" wide. But... I hate having a tall phone as the holsters catch in network closets. That's why I liked the Passport and why I'll give the Titan a try. I've already told the support person I'll be switching to T-Mobile because of this, and they are likely going to lose a ton of customers when their phones all stop working.

So... I'm going to post my question to AT&T via Twitter. Any other public forums I should try asking for policy clarification?
    Switch to T-Mobile
    04-06-21 08:44 PM
    Yeah, but while it may take them a little longer, you can bet that T-Mobile will be doing the very same thing soon enough.
    04-06-21 08:46 PM

I'm looking at:
    Unihertz Titan
    LG G8s

I hate to tell you the Passport does support HD. On T Mobile the little HD symbol pops up with certain calls. They do not want to support any phone not sold by them.
    04-07-21 08:16 AM
    Yeah, but while it may take them a little longer, you can bet that T-Mobile will be doing the very same thing soon enough.
    Spoke to T Mobile when we moved our corporate accounts. No issues with the Passport, they think by the end of next year and they will send you text messages that the end is near, unlike AT&T you know the new number 3 carrier.
    04-07-21 08:17 AM
    Switch to T-Mobile
    You as well as I know the Passport works fine and HD calling works as well. That's why T Mobile is the new number two on the way to number ONE.
    04-07-21 08:19 AM
    I hate to tell you the Passport does support HD. On T Mobile the little HD symbol pops up with certain calls. They do not want to support any phone not sold by them.
    I do get the HD symbol on my Passport SE when I put in a TMO SIM but it relies on some 3G capabilities that won't exist when the 3G part is eventually shutdown. As has been explained when VoLTE first rolled out, the earlier VoLTE phones, not just BlackBerry, used a different protocol that isn't supported once 3G is shutdown.
    04-07-21 11:30 AM
    I do get the HD symbol on my Passport SE when I put in a TMO SIM but it relies on some 3G capabilities that won't exist when the 3G part is eventually shutdown. As has been explained when VoLTE first rolled out, the earlier VoLTE phones, not just BlackBerry, used a different protocol that isn't supported once 3G is shutdown.
    Yes but that was not question. AT&T is just well anyway...............Big Dog getting thirsty
    04-07-21 03:24 PM