I like the PKB too. But I will be honest with myself and recognise that VKBs are just a better technology. I'm living in the past and am using a PKB more for nostalgia than anything else.

I haven't used a VKB since the Z10 and PRIV. Even with the PRIV I found myself using the VKB more. It was just faster.

Like I said, I'd buy a KEY3 if it was available, but I'm realistic and recognise that the KEY2 may be the last "mainstream" PKB device....

I'm OK with that.
    That’s similar to how I feel though I’m stuck at next AT&T Key# for me.
    11-30-19 12:33 PM
    The evolution of Android with the evolution of update delivery has changed, is changing and will change further, the buying Android hardware decision process. BBMo and other different OEMs are going to be affected similarly.
    I get the importance of Android 10, but the Android phones now in its current form are advanced enough to be used for another 2-3 years easy.

I have all the functions I want on the current Android 8.1 right now. In fact, if Android were to be updated to Android 9 on my Key2 LE, I would lose the ability to record phone calls.
    11-30-19 12:44 PM
    I get the importance of Android 10, but the Android phones now in its current form are advanced enough to be used for another 2-3 years easy.

I have all the functions I want on the current Android 8.1 right now. In fact, if Android were to be updated to Android 9 on my Key2 LE, I would lose the ability to record phone calls.
    Unfortunately, Android is being forced into these changes for Enterprise competitive reasons. For Enterprise users, they’re being forced to use current or most recent previous Android OS version. As people like @danfrancisco have explained, their employer will soon require Android 9 PIE or Android 10 for Enterprise programs and usage. Android from a consistency standpoint is becoming more like iOS to meet Enterprise client demands.
    11-30-19 12:54 PM
    For personal use, the differences between Oreo, Pie and 10 are not the biggest security issue. It's all about app selection and permissions.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    11-30-19 01:31 PM
    I love the PKB and the KEY2. It is an excellent device. However.... I have owned a 9000, 9900, Z10, Passport, PRIV, DTEK 50, KEYone and KEY2... so a mix of PKB and VKB devices. Once you adopt either a PKB or VKB device, you quickly get used to it.... I'm not particularly hung up on one or the other. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Honestly, I can probably type faster on a VKB, but I do like how a PKB feels.

Back to the question.... At this stage, the KEY2 is approaching EOL. The updates will stop in about 6 months or so, and there is no Android 9 coming. To purchases a device that is 2 OS versions behind with updates stopping in 2020 is probably not the best decision. Purchasing the KEY2 on launch day was certainly a good decision, as you could get 2 to 3 solid years of use out of it.

I still have my old PRIV kicking around, so I fired it up yesterday, did a factory reset/wipe and just loaded up the basics. It's running Android 6 and it is slooooooooowwwwwww.... Much slower than when I purchased it on launch day. Why? I have no idea. Everything just runs like molasses. Did the same with my DTEK 50... same thing.... unusable. Did the same with my Passport and it was blazing fast, like new.

I'm fully expecting my KEY2 to just "go slow" next year when the updates stop. I hope this doesn't happen, but I'm expecting it will.

If a KEY3 comes out, I will buy it with Android 10. If not, it's either a the latest iPhone or Pixel device.
    Yup! Everything Android I have ever owned has slowed down to a snails pace after a few years. Devices that have not slowed are my iPhones, iPads and my BlackBerry Passport! That speaks volumes! So yes, I do fully expect my K2 to start slowing down after EOL in 8 months time. To be honest, I could possibly be sucked into another Droidberry, barring that, there will be no more Android anything for me. So, would I buy a K2 today? Absolutely not!

Posted via my Passport
    the_boon and elfabio80 like this.
    11-30-19 04:44 PM
    Yup! Everything Android I have ever owned has slowed down to a snails pace after a few years. Devices that have not slowed are my iPhones, iPads and my BlackBerry Passport!

Posted via my Passport
    Yeah I have to agree with that. As far as operation, none of the other OS I've used ever seemed to slow with time quite like android. And I've used BB10, Windows phone 8, 8.1 and even 10 mobile, Symbian S60, anna and belle, yet the only one I've seen slow like that is Android. Yet the lightweight 3rd party distros don't seem as effected. I personally thing it's Google apps.
    11-30-19 05:05 PM
    Yeah I have to agree with that. As far as operation, none of the other OS I've used ever seemed to slow with time quite like android. And I've used BB10, Windows phone 8, 8.1 and even 10 mobile, Symbian S60, anna and belle, yet the only one I've seen slow like that is Android. Yet the lightweight 3rd party distros don't seem as effected. I personally thing it's Google apps.
    Or, an effective strategy to sell new hardware on an artificially shortened life cycle!

Posted via my Passport
    11-30-19 05:12 PM
    until the key3 arrives, i'll be using my red key2 until it brakes.
    12-01-19 12:31 AM
    Yup! Everything Android I have ever owned has slowed down to a snails pace after a few years. Devices that have not slowed are my iPhones, iPads and my BlackBerry Passport! That speaks volumes! So yes, I do fully expect my K2 to start slowing down after EOL in 8 months time. To be honest, I could possibly be sucked into another Droidberry, barring that, there will be no more Android anything for me. So, would I buy a K2 today? Absolutely not!

Posted via my Passport
    Passport? Nice hardware. Check out all your threads on the BlackBerry Passport Forum for more information. Not slowing is one thing but things not working....????
    12-01-19 02:15 AM
    Passport? Nice hardware. Check out all your threads on the BlackBerry Passport Forum for more information. Not slowing is one thing but things not working....????
    Valid statement. I have had to repair and rebuild my Passport, this is true. The parts are inexpensive and 90% of the work can easily be done by a novice like me. The mic/speaker assembly and bottom mic was above my skill level, so a shop had to sort it out. It now performs like it came out of the box yesterday! With the limitations that are inherent in BB10 of course. But still a very satisfying experience for as long as it lasts! That is why my K2 is the backup phone for now.

Posted via my Passport
    12-01-19 02:11 PM
    Valid statement. I have had to repair and rebuild my Passport, this is true. The parts are inexpensive and 90% of the work can easily be done by a novice like me. The mic/speaker assembly and bottom mic was above my skill level, so a shop had to sort it out. It now performs like it came out of the box yesterday! With the limitations that are inherent in BB10 of course. But still a very satisfying experience for as long as it lasts! That is why my K2 is the backup phone for now.

Posted via my Passport
    Nice!
    12-01-19 02:31 PM

Posted via my Passport
    Yes. This is my experience with the Z10 exactly. I've had to buy about four replacement batteries at a cost of $5 apiece, and I once replaced a broken screen at a cost of about $15. All I needed for that was two small screwdrivers.

Total cost to keep a phone running for almost 7 years: $35 and about 30 minutes of time. And it really does run much better than new with 10.3.3.

anon(10387168) likes this.
    12-01-19 02:35 PM
    I bought a KEY 2 this past Wednesday. It's still in the box until I receive my screen protectors and until I'm back from vacation (I don't want anything to happen to it).

I bought it because it's now or never as I was really waiting for a KEY 3 but who knows if that will ever happen.

Till then my trusty PRIV will have to do.
    Bob80220 and the_boon like this.
    12-01-19 04:48 PM
    Get a OnePlus 5t, 6t, or 7t load up the BlackBerry apps, and don't look back.
    Folks, as a longstanding BB user (Bold, Q10, PP, PP SE, KeyOne, Key2) the screen of my one-year old Key2 broke completely during a bad fall. As the cost of screen replacement by the official BBMo repair service in Luxembourg is high (over 150 euro), I am keen on replacing the phone instead. A new Key2 silver costs about 480 euro (and with a partial employer compensation that would go down to about half of that amount in my case). Alternatively, the more exclusive Key2 red edition could be had for just under 700 euro.

However, the bigger question is whether it is still wise to invest in a Key device at all, as much as I am craving for the physical keyboard. Issues that make me doubt are related to lack of clarity on BBMo’s continued support and development (regular security updates, Android 9 or 10). If one buys a new Key2 device now, how long would it still effectively being supported software-wise (outside of the 2 year legal warranty on hardware of course)? The complete silence by BBMo lately, and perceived lack of commitment as a consequence, are worrying indications in this regard.

Thoughts on whether or not I should go ahead and get a new Key2?
    12-01-19 05:01 PM
    Get a OnePlus 5t, 6t, or 7t load up the BlackBerry apps, and don't look back.
    OnePlus devices are too large and unergonomic.

I'd recommend a Pixel 3/3a or a Samsung S10e/S10 with BB apps, BB10 icon pack and wallpaper
    12-01-19 10:07 PM
    OnePlus devices are too large and unergonomic.

I'd recommend a Pixel 3/3a or a Samsung S10e/S10 with BB apps, BB10 icon pack and wallpaper
    Ive decided that my next phone, come May 1, 2020, will be a dual SIM S10e. I love the form factor and the side power button/fingerprint scanner as it reminds me of my Sony Xperia Z5 compact.

Interestingly enough, I was at a Samsung Experience pop-up at a nearby mall, playing with the Sammy lineup, and the Note10 has the exact same physical dimensions as my KEY2!
    12-01-19 10:20 PM
    Ive decided that my next phone, come May 1, 2020, will be a dual SIM S10e. I love the form factor and the side power button/fingerprint scanner as it reminds me of my Sony Xperia Z5 compact.

Interestingly enough, I was at a Samsung Experience pop-up at a nearby mall, playing with the Sammy lineup, and the Note10 has the exact same physical dimensions as my KEY2!
    Dual SIM means it may drain more battery.

Also, the dual SIM S10e is the Exynos variant which is a bit less battery efficient than the NA Snapdragon variant.
    12-01-19 10:45 PM
    Dual SIM means it may drain more battery.

Also, the dual SIM S10e is the Exynos variant which is a bit less battery efficient than the NA Snapdragon variant.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that or think about the battery life. My Pixel 3 doesn't have the greatest battery life so if the S10e Exons dual SIM variant can at minimum, match the Pixel 3, then I'm okay with that.

Any improvements if I set my sights on a dual SIM s10 instead? I would go for the Note10, but I already have the Note8 and never use the stylus so I think the extra cost would be a waste. Plus, I'm really looking to scale down the physical form factor size on my next phone.
    12-01-19 11:36 PM
    Interesting. Thanks for the info. I didn't know that or think about the battery life. My Pixel 3 doesn't have the greatest battery life so if the S10e Exons dual SIM variant can at minimum, match the Pixel 3, then I'm okay with that.

Any improvements if I set my sights on a dual SIM s10 instead? I would go for the Note10, but I already have the Note8 and never use the stylus so I think the extra cost would be a waste. Plus, I'm really looking to scale down the physical form factor size on my next phone.
    My recommendation would be a single SIM NA S10e with the Snapdragon 855 and then you would apply many of the usual battery saving tips as with any Android phone.
    But if you really need dual SIM, then the S10 may be the better option thanks to the extra 300mAh of battery.
    12-03-19 02:55 PM
    My recommendation would be a single SIM NA S10e with the Snapdragon 855 and then you would apply many of the usual battery saving tips as with any Android phone.
    But if you really need dual SIM, then the S10 may be the better option thanks to the extra 300mAh of battery.
    Since @danfrancisco is like “secret agent man” the dual sim is mandatory along with his fuscia cape and yellow rubber boots.
    12-03-19 03:38 PM
    Since @danfrancisco is like “secret agent man” the dual sim is mandatory along with his fuscia cape and yellow rubber boots.
    Correction, fuscia cape and arylide rubber boots
    12-03-19 05:11 PM
    Single SIM is a showstopper for me. I cannot possibly go back to dual carrying after the last three years.

Timing is good for getting the s10 for a good price with the s11s just around the corner.

Unless..... BlackBerry and TCL quit their bickering and give us Pie!!!!!
    12-03-19 05:14 PM
    Single SIM is a showstopper for me. I cannot possibly go back to dual carrying after the last three years.

Timing is good for getting the s10 for a good price with the s11s just around the corner.

Unless..... BlackBerry and TCL quit their bickering and give us Pie!!!!!
    Unless there will be a compact S11e like this year's model but with an even bigger battery, I'd think the S10 would be the one to get
    12-03-19 05:16 PM
    I upgraded from KeyOne to Key2 a month ago and I'm happy I did. It gave me the opportunity to get rid of useless apps and start fresh. I added a thin case and screen protector this time as I fear it will be my last BB if no more new ones are made. Almost everything on the Key2 is better than the KeyOne, especially the keyboard.
    the_boon likes this.
    12-03-19 05:25 PM
    I upgraded from KeyOne to Key2 a month ago and I'm happy I did. It gave me the opportunity to get rid of useless apps and start fresh. I added a thin case and screen protector this time as I fear it will be my last BB if no more new ones are made. Almost everything on the Key2 is better than the KeyOne, especially the keyboard.
    Congrats on your new phone.

If you enjoyed resetting your phone and starting over, you don't have to wait until you buy a new phone. I've taken to resetting my KEYone every three months as part of maintaining good cyber hygiene.

As I prefer to limit the amount of data I share, I use a different, burner Google account each time when I set up my phone and only download apps I'm currently using. That won't work for all use cases, but I like the fact that most of my apps don't have my real identity.

12-03-19 05:47 PM
77 1234