If you really value pkb
    If you're ok with mediocre camera
    If you're ok stuck in oreo
    If you're ok for not being able to root and install custom android 9/10 or any newest version
    Ifs... then buy key 2
    the_boon and bberrist like this.
    11-03-19 11:28 PM
    Folks, as a longstanding BB user (Bold, Q10, PP, PP SE, KeyOne, Key2) the screen of my one-year old Key2 broke completely during a bad fall. As the cost of screen replacement by the official BBMo repair service in Luxembourg is high (over 150 euro), I am keen on replacing the phone instead. A new Key2 silver costs about 480 euro (and with a partial employer compensation that would go down to about half of that amount in my case). Alternatively, the more exclusive Key2 red edition could be had for just under 700 euro.

However, the bigger question is whether it is still wise to invest in a Key device at all, as much as I am craving for the physical keyboard. Issues that make me doubt are related to lack of clarity on BBMo’s continued support and development (regular security updates, Android 9 or 10). If one buys a new Key2 device now, how long would it still effectively being supported software-wise (outside of the 2 year legal warranty on hardware of course)? The complete silence by BBMo lately, and perceived lack of commitment as a consequence, are worrying indications in this regard.

Thoughts on whether or not I should go ahead and get a new Key2?
    I just got a 2nd KEY2 (new) a few weeks ago when my first one (bought used) started having problems.
    It depends on how much you like the device. For me, personally, it possibly being their last device was more reason to get one, not a reason to not get one. To me it sounds as though you can get a super deal on one, given the compensation from your employer.
    I have heard that the red KEY2 is a very solid edition. It is also higher spec'd than the silver or black.
    cyberdoggie and the_boon like this.
    11-04-19 01:28 AM
    I am a key2 user now. I am good with it. but my advice to u, get other better spec phones
    11-04-19 03:15 AM
    I am a key2 user now. I am good with it. but my advice to u, get other better spec phones
    If your priority is the physical keyboard, what else would you suggest?
    11-04-19 06:27 AM
    Snapping out of it?
    Gene Fells and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    11-04-19 09:09 AM
    Snapping out of it?
    11-04-19 09:11 AM
    Personally, I still think buying a KEY2 is fine. The whole point of buying one is for the physical keyboard and the Blackberry software ecosystem. While Android updates do mater, it won't really be a problem for quite a while. Only about 10% of the market is on the latest version of Android, while the bulk of phones are still on Version 8, 7, 6, and even 5. Considering we're on Version 8, it's going to take a lot of time before it falls off the software support ladder. Security updates are nice, but as long as your not downloading questionable software, you should be just fine.

Again, this is just my personal opinion. You may value some of these aspects less or more than me. But considering we're talking here in the KEY2 forum, I assume a lot of people value similar things.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    11-04-19 09:29 AM
    Yes if you accept you will get stuck in Oreo and will never get Pie.
    11-04-19 11:04 AM
    get a new one! all tech eventually becomes old and worthless so you might as well enjoy it while it's still in. and don't buy new get a refurbished model from a reputable dealer and be happy! My Key to space bar broke 3 weeks ago and my insurance did not have a replacement model so the cut me a check for 560$ us and I bought the black 128g dual SIM for 300 refurbished and couldn't be happier!
    11-04-19 11:50 AM
    🤔
    https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...price-features
    11-04-19 04:16 PM
    Ya, I don't count kickstarter one-off basement spyware phones.
    11-04-19 04:20 PM
    is just an option for pkb
    11-04-19 04:59 PM
    is just an option for pkb
    Maybe, but not for anything serious.
    11-04-19 05:31 PM
    Adapt to vkb
    11-05-19 03:44 AM
    By the way, is Blaize still on board?
    11-05-19 08:04 PM
    Not at this late in product cycle. That’s been problem with Key2 is that price has been supported and propped up demand wise. I can’t imagine buyers in new regional markets are going to be happy when security updates stop in possibly eight months. Plus, if no PIE, it will be OS challenge for some if Enterprise tightens up version requirements to 24-36 months or less.
    There were so many problems reported else where, it would not surprise me if there is no Pie.
    But Q or 10 may be on the cards.
    Nothing has been ruled out yet.
    There have not been official statements from BlackberryMobile, TCL or Blackberry (RIM) as yet.
    11-30-19 04:56 AM
    I don't know why such negative responses.

This is the best physical keyboard phone available on the market. There are inherent advantages that come from having the physical keyboard. So if you want a physical keyboard, there is no other alternative.

If you don't like it after buying, you can always sell it to get your money back.

As for the security updates, yes it is nice to have, but does not make too much difference for the most of us endusers. And same for the Android version updates.
    11-30-19 07:27 AM
    Folks, as a longstanding BB user (Bold, Q10, PP, PP SE, KeyOne, Key2) the screen of my one-year old Key2 broke completely during a bad fall. As the cost of screen replacement by the official BBMo repair service in Luxembourg is high (over 150 euro), I am keen on replacing the phone instead. A new Key2 silver costs about 480 euro (and with a partial employer compensation that would go down to about half of that amount in my case). Alternatively, the more exclusive Key2 red edition could be had for just under 700 euro.

However, the bigger question is whether it is still wise to invest in a Key device at all, as much as I am craving for the physical keyboard. Issues that make me doubt are related to lack of clarity on BBMo’s continued support and development (regular security updates, Android 9 or 10). If one buys a new Key2 device now, how long would it still effectively being supported software-wise (outside of the 2 year legal warranty on hardware of course)? The complete silence by BBMo lately, and perceived lack of commitment as a consequence, are worrying indications in this regard.

Thoughts on whether or not I should go ahead and get a new Key2?
    it depends on what your priorities are (assuming you can find one).

If your priorities are Android update to PIE, solid customer support and support by your employer as a work device, then I wouldn't recommend it.

If, however, you just have to have a physical keyboard, want the Blackberry suite of apps to come pre-installed, are aware of the risks that come with cessation of security updates next summer and want to experience the unique productivity experience unique to the Blackberry Key2/Key2 LE (such as the speed key/customizable shortcuts), then I'd recommend it.
    11-30-19 07:43 AM
    I love the PKB and the KEY2. It is an excellent device. However.... I have owned a 9000, 9900, Z10, Passport, PRIV, DTEK 50, KEYone and KEY2... so a mix of PKB and VKB devices. Once you adopt either a PKB or VKB device, you quickly get used to it.... I'm not particularly hung up on one or the other. Both have advantages and disadvantages. Honestly, I can probably type faster on a VKB, but I do like how a PKB feels.

Back to the question.... At this stage, the KEY2 is approaching EOL. The updates will stop in about 6 months or so, and there is no Android 9 coming. To purchases a device that is 2 OS versions behind with updates stopping in 2020 is probably not the best decision. Purchasing the KEY2 on launch day was certainly a good decision, as you could get 2 to 3 solid years of use out of it.

I still have my old PRIV kicking around, so I fired it up yesterday, did a factory reset/wipe and just loaded up the basics. It's running Android 6 and it is slooooooooowwwwwww.... Much slower than when I purchased it on launch day. Why? I have no idea. Everything just runs like molasses. Did the same with my DTEK 50... same thing.... unusable. Did the same with my Passport and it was blazing fast, like new.

I'm fully expecting my KEY2 to just "go slow" next year when the updates stop. I hope this doesn't happen, but I'm expecting it will.

If a KEY3 comes out, I will buy it with Android 10. If not, it's either a the latest iPhone or Pixel device.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-30-19 07:47 AM

This is the best physical keyboard phone available on the market. There are inherent advantages that come from having the physical keyboard. So if you want a physical keyboard, there is no other alternative.

If you don't like it after buying, you can always sell it to get your money back.

As for the security updates, yes it is nice to have, but does not make too much difference for the most of us endusers. And same for the Android version updates.
    The evolution of Android with the evolution of update delivery has changed, is changing and will change further, the buying Android hardware decision process. BBMo and other different OEMs are going to be affected similarly.
    11-30-19 08:20 AM

The evolution of Android with the evolution of update delivery has changed, is changing and will change further, the buying Android hardware decision process. BBMo and other different OEMs are going to be affected similarly.
    11-30-19 08:21 AM
    11-30-19 09:44 AM
    There have not been official statements from BlackberryMobile, TCL or Blackberry (RIM) as yet.
    There will be no official statement as they want to sell the inventory.
    11-30-19 09:49 AM
    I himed and hawed for a long time about switching from a BB10 to the Red Key2 and I love it for the most part (still ironing out some kinks with the help of everyone here). I have never really considered buying anything but Blackberry because of the physical keyboard. That's always the question I've asked myself over the years when entertaining a new phone 'is it worth giving up the physical key board?' that always tends to settle my quandary. That has always been the deal maker/ breaker for me.
    the_boon likes this.
    11-30-19 11:58 AM
    I like the PKB too. But I will be honest with myself and recognise that VKBs are just a better technology. I'm living in the past and am using a PKB more for nostalgia than anything else.

I haven't used a VKB since the Z10 and PRIV. Even with the PRIV I found myself using the VKB more. It was just faster.

Like I said, I'd buy a KEY3 if it was available, but I'm realistic and recognise that the KEY2 may be the last "mainstream" PKB device....

I'm OK with that.
    robnhl likes this.
    11-30-19 12:05 PM
77 1234