Folks, as a longstanding BB user (Bold, Q10, PP, PP SE, KeyOne, Key2) the screen of my one-year old Key2 broke completely during a bad fall. As the cost of screen replacement by the official BBMo repair service in Luxembourg is high (over 150 euro), I am keen on replacing the phone instead. A new Key2 silver costs about 480 euro (and with a partial employer compensation that would go down to about half of that amount in my case). Alternatively, the more exclusive Key2 red edition could be had for just under 700 euro.

However, the bigger question is whether it is still wise to invest in a Key device at all, as much as I am craving for the physical keyboard. Issues that make me doubt are related to lack of clarity on BBMo’s continued support and development (regular security updates, Android 9 or 10). If one buys a new Key2 device now, how long would it still effectively being supported software-wise (outside of the 2 year legal warranty on hardware of course)? The complete silence by BBMo lately, and perceived lack of commitment as a consequence, are worrying indications in this regard.

Thoughts on whether or not I should go ahead and get a new Key2?
    11-02-19 05:19 AM
    11-02-19 05:21 AM
    Folks, as a longstanding BB user (Bold, Q10, PP, PP SE, KeyOne, Key2) the screen of my one-year old Key2 broke completely during a bad fall. As the cost of screen replacement by the official BBMo repair service in Luxembourg is high (over 150 euro), I am keen on replacing the phone instead. A new Key2 silver costs about 480 euro (and with a partial employer compensation that would go down to about half of that amount in my case). Alternatively, the more exclusive Key2 red edition could be had for just under 700 euro.

However, the bigger question is whether it is still wise to invest in a Key device at all, as much as I am craving for the physical keyboard. Issues that make me doubt are related to lack of clarity on BBMo’s continued support and development (regular security updates, Android 9 or 10). If one buys a new Key2 device now, how long would it still effectively being supported software-wise (outside of the 2 year legal warranty on hardware of course)? The complete silence by BBMo lately, and perceived lack of commitment as a consequence, are worrying indications in this regard.

Absolutely no!
    John Albert likes this.
    11-02-19 06:18 AM

If I was in your shoes, I'd absolutely get a new KEY²!
    11-02-19 06:33 AM
    If your level of dependence on a physical keyboard is anything lower than "already bought the KEY2 halfway through typing the post", then skip it. Moribund company and still inflated prices.
    Mecca EL and mulderlr like this.
    11-02-19 06:39 AM
    I guess it’s based on how dependent you are on the keyboard. It’s an awful lot of money to spend on a device that is overpriced and may not get much more support.
    How about a Key2 LE which would be much less money? I always look for value in purchases like this and the LE would be a much better value in my eyes.
    11-02-19 07:08 AM
    I wouldnt get another, for the first time since the 1990s I chose something other than BlackBerry myself. There seems to be a lack of interest on behalf of TCL and BlackBerry itself has other interests, and like you said if you buy a new one today, how long before the updates stop... probably not very long. That's why after 20 yrs I left, they gave up on us first.
    11-02-19 11:40 PM
    just got a Red. Pretty satisfied.
    11-03-19 07:57 AM
    Not at this late in product cycle. That’s been problem with Key2 is that price has been supported and propped up demand wise. I can’t imagine buyers in new regional markets are going to be happy when security updates stop in possibly eight months. Plus, if no PIE, it will be OS challenge for some if Enterprise tightens up version requirements to 24-36 months or less.
    11-03-19 08:45 AM
    “When security updates stop in possibly eight months”.........? Is that a given?
    11-03-19 10:18 AM
    Hi cyberdoggie,
    If you are in Luxembourg you can evaluate a repair in Metz at " Point Service Mobiles, rue de Harelle" they did a good job on my Passport 2 years ago.
    C'est le seul point de réparation dans la région Est.
    Midnightflyer likes this.
    11-03-19 11:58 AM

If you are fine with sticking to Oreo, and getting another 10 months of patches, then I would consider it. If you crave a keyboard , there really is no alternative - little kickstarter one-off projects aside.

Consider the LE to minimise your investment.
    Midnightflyer and chain13 like this.
    11-03-19 12:11 PM
    The Key 2 is a great phone, though at a year old 600 to 700 is steep for the midrange processor. If it was me I would get the LE to save some cash.
    11-03-19 12:44 PM
    Honestly I have been struggling with this for a short while. it's 1 year since I had my KEY² and I don't think I could get on with a touchscreen keyboard unless I was forced too. The thing is I don't actually use my phone for a lot of media consumption more of a communicator. so the PBK is a must. I always find myself happy that I smashed out a message even this long after having a BlackBerry. And I would honestly say I'm a true BlackBerry fan boy. got every model in every colour since the original curve.
    Midnightflyer and jmorgan456 like this.
    11-03-19 01:24 PM
    “When security updates stop in possibly eight months”.........? Is that a given?
    I’m sorry but math was off. According to conite’s post, ten months.

Estimated that it’s 24 months from original device introduction.
    11-03-19 02:30 PM
    Forgive me if I sound stupid but does that mean our devices will pretty much stop working shortly after?
    11-03-19 02:40 PM
    Forgive me if I sound stupid but does that mean our devices will pretty much stop working shortly after?
    Nope. People are still running Android from 6-7 years ago. Some apps may lack support like BB10 stuck on 4.3 but still running .
    Midnightflyer likes this.
    11-03-19 02:45 PM
    Simple answer. Can you live without PKB? No? Absolutely not? No way at all? So drop some tears, ignore any good common sense and take it. Any other case, just stay away from it. BB is dead and buried for mobile market, and you wouldn't have even one more year if support.
    11-03-19 05:39 PM
    You're call! "Caveat Emptor" applies more than usual! Good luck with your decision.
    11-03-19 06:10 PM
    Still loving my Key 2! 52 keyboard shortcuts, quick access to all apps, great battery life, all in all just a great phone! Hoping updates will continue, but very happy with this device. You will not be sorry if you get one.
    11-03-19 06:14 PM
    I was so confused when I first read this thread because I thought @thurask was the OP based on the avatar!
    11-03-19 07:15 PM
    absolutely no
    11-03-19 08:37 PM
    Do not buy. Very bad idea.
    11-03-19 08:41 PM
    I was so confused when I first read this thread because I thought @thurask was the OP based on the avatar!
    I've noticed a couple of times since moving to the CB Forums app, Ive seen posts I made show up with someone else's avatar... something's leaky...
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-03-19 09:38 PM
    I've noticed that since joining the forum off and on since 2010, that people and their avatars show up uninvited at times!
    Laura Knotek and Bob80220 like this.
    11-03-19 10:37 PM
77 123 ...