I am puzzled with the Key2 keyboard. I am so used to the right shift key that I am missing it quite a lot. The speed key is of no particular use to me. How can it be set to return to its original function, i.e. a shift key? I do not find that option. This is a bummer. Thanks.
    BLAZEDv3 likes this.
    11-19-18 03:47 PM
    Yup, I made an entire post about how the speedkey is a step back. BlackBerry really needs to give us a software option to disregard the speedkey and give us back our right shift. Did you notice that you also lose your ability to turn on the speakerphone via currency key, sucks.
    DWonder and cyberdoggie like this.
    11-19-18 04:01 PM
    Yup, I made an entire post about how the speedkey is a step back. BlackBerry really needs to give us a software option to disregard the speedkey and give us back our right shift. Did you notice that you also lose your ability to turn on the speakerphone via currency key, sucks.
    Speakerphone via currency key is there, even the little icon is showing on the key. Plus you can remap the speed key with Button Remapper.
    11-19-18 04:06 PM
    Speakerphone via currency key is there, even the little icon is showing on the key. Plus you can remap the speed key with Button Remapper.
    Try using it during a call, if you mapped the currency key as your right shift, you lose the speaker phone tap.
    11-19-18 04:08 PM
    I agree. The speed key should either have had the option to use for control or should have been the key to the right of the speed key thats not being used. The right shift key should have never been changed especially since they have room for 2 keys in the bottom left and right corners. Kinda confused there. But that won't stop me from enjoying the phone :-)
    11-19-18 04:25 PM
    I agree. The speed key should either have had the option to use for control or should have been the key to the right of the speed key thats not being used. The right shift key should have never been changed especially since they have room for 2 keys in the bottom left and right corners. Kinda confused there. But that won't stop me from enjoying the phone :-)
    We should just have been given a proper CTRL or SHIFT key in those extra unused key spaces. Too bad.
    DWonder likes this.
    11-19-18 08:06 PM
    I agree! Terrible implementation. I don't understand them at all....a 5 year old would have a done a better job!

For how long and how far will they continue take the "keep it simple" approach? Aren't we at a point of diminishing returns?

I mean look at the Convenience Key with the latest build:

The dedicated Google Assistant setup brilliantly works with a short, double and long press. Great!

Why in the world did they leave the standard Convenience Key setup with the 3 On Screen icons rather than design similar launch action to the dedicated Google Assistant setup?

Just so off in so many areas it really does get annoying....not to a point of switching but to a point of frustration and curiosity as to the thought process that went into the development process.
    DWonder likes this.
    11-19-18 08:52 PM
    Plus you can remap the speed key with Button Remapper.
    What do you set it to make it right shift or CTRL?
    11-19-18 10:21 PM
    We should just have been given a proper CTRL or SHIFT key in those extra unused key spaces. Too bad.
    Coming soon to a KEY3 near you...
    Vistaus likes this.
    11-20-18 02:42 AM
    It would make sense.
    11-20-18 06:03 AM
    I might be late knowing this but just found out by mistake that when typing u can swipe down on the PKB to bring up the symbols :-O This is helpful but......still wish we had the shift key option ;-)
    11-20-18 06:14 AM
    I damn well hope so! With a PROPER camera and a half decent screen, then we're good!
    11-20-18 07:21 AM
    I damn well hope so! With a PROPER camera and a half decent screen, then we're good!
    And a spacebar like LE and IP rating by copying Priv keyboard design

And THEN we're more than good lol
    11-20-18 08:44 AM
    And a spacebar like LE and IP rating by copying Priv keyboard design

And THEN we're more than good lol
    I bitched a lot of about what I think are VERY legitimate criticisms with this phone but I never complained about the spacebar. On all my keyboards at home, the space bar sounds very different. So to me it's normal.
    11-20-18 08:46 AM
    I bitched a lot of about what I think are VERY legitimate criticisms with this phone but I never complained about the spacebar. On all my keyboards at home, the space bar sounds very different. So to me it's normal.
    I think some of the complaining isn't just due to a slightly to moderately loose/wobbly spacebar, but also because said button does not have enough resistance before the break.

In other words: The spacebar is depressed too easily while the other keys need more force, which is what makes it noticeable.

If all the other keys had the same soft resistance, it would not be noticeable at all.

The difference in noise only adds to that perception of having a different key than the rest (this of course does not apply in a noisy environment)
    11-20-18 09:40 AM
    I am puzzled with the Key2 keyboard. I am so used to the right shift key that I am missing it quite a lot. The speed key is of no particular use to me. How can it be set to return to its original function, i.e. a shift key? I do not find that option. This is a bummer. Thanks.
    Seems like an option that should have been implemented in the settings menu already. Also giving this, this should be integrated in KeyOne as well.
    11-20-18 09:52 AM
    Seems like an option that should have been implemented in the settings menu already. Also giving this, this should be integrated in KeyOne as well.
    It's already implemented in Russian variant of Key2. I posted how it looks here with screenshots: /blackberry-key2-f472/bought-russian-key2-have-few-questions-about-flashing-1159529/#post13311351
    Tbh I was surprised that this feature is not available for all regions.

But I am personally happy with speed key.
    ThaRu likes this.
    11-20-18 10:41 AM
    Its possible to assign the currency key to right shift.
    11-20-18 02:27 PM
    It's the most annoying thing ever!
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    11-20-18 04:21 PM
    Its possible to assign the currency key to right shift.
    Thanks. How do I do this?
    11-20-18 08:03 PM
    Thanks. How do I do this?
    Go to settings then shortcuts & gestures then you click on customize the currency key.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    11-20-18 08:10 PM
    Go to settings then shortcuts & gestures then you click on customize the currency key.
    @cyberdoggie keep in mind that it will be at the expense of CTRL because the smart people at BlackBerry decide its better not to give us options....
    11-20-18 08:13 PM
    @cyberdoggie the smart people at BlackBerry decide its better not to give us options....
    The people at, well, every single other OEM decided not to give you the option of a PKB to begin with
    11-21-18 12:51 AM
    The people at, well, every single other OEM decided not to give you the option of a PKB to begin with
    True story but are we suppose to just say nothing every time something bothers us about the design of this device just because it has a PKB?

Just because we have a PKB it's OK for other areas of the device to function less intuitively than they should?

Don't get me wrong, I am absolutely ecstatic to call BlackBerry my daily driver in 2018 and hopefully I can continue to do the same for as long as they keep pushing new products to the market but that doesn't mean that areas of improvement shouldn't be pointed out and yes, sometimes related frustration manifests itself through sarcasm....that part is my bad! Can't help it...the other side of my passion towards this brand....
    DWonder and cyberdoggie like this.
    11-21-18 01:23 AM
    I was in touch with BBMobile regarding possible remapping of the speed key. Much to my regret, they informed it is not possible. I have suggested that this is taken up as a matter of urgency with a next software update but I did no longer get a reply. As it is, and as old habits die hard, I am thinking about returning the Key2 and returning to my old KeyOne black edition. It is a pity as the Key2 just looks much better as it is reminiscent of the beloved Passport Silver Edition, and it performs also better than the KeyOne black edition (in particular nicer keyboard with the exception of the loss of right shift key). But the loss of the right shift and inability to remap the speed key, combined with a less than stellar camera which performs worse than what I did with the KeyOne, may be enough to tip me over.
    11-24-18 01:24 PM
35 12