What if you already have short press short cut created. For example, i have “i” assigned for instagram.
    At the home screen when you have nothing opened. It acts the same way as the keyone. Just press the i button. Speed key is only for when you're inside of another app
    06-21-18 02:31 AM
    Hello guys,

I am just not fully understanding the speed key feature.

Speed key + short cut key = that's two steps.

Home button + short cut key = two steps

Am I missing something? What's the benefits?
    Surely pressing the speed key at the same time as a shortcut key is one step.
    Home button then a short cut key is two steps.
    IMHO

Posted via my Awesome passport
    Kraeutermann likes this.
    06-21-18 03:06 AM
    The issue with the homescreen is there is a nasty delay and flicker when the whole screen needs to draw and then switch. From what I've seen Key2 is really smooth in the transition when using the speed key.

Speed key will be a big deal for me. I find myself typing and switching apps all the time.

For example, while I'm typing an email, I need to check my calendar, switch to One Note to copy from a draft, open a contact to copy a phone number, etc.

I use Nova launcher so me Key2 is huge because apparently you can use keyboard shortcuts with other launchers.
    06-21-18 03:39 AM
    I don't understand why are there so many people misunderstood about the point made by Op. OP mentioning about:

"Speed Key + Short cut key" vs "press home button + short cut key"

Both of above are 2 steps processes, so what makes the speed key more special?

OP IS NOT MENTIONING ABOUT SELECTING APP FROM THE RECENT APP LIST NOR MANUALLY SELECTING THE APP FROM THE APP LIST.
    This. The OP was pretty straight forward. Not sure what the confusion is either.
    06-21-18 08:26 AM
    well for the speed key you have to use both hands, while home button + key can be done with one
    06-21-18 08:30 AM
    The issue with the homescreen is there is a nasty delay and flicker when the whole screen needs to draw and then switch. From what I've seen Key2 is really smooth in the transition when using the speed key.

Speed key will be a big deal for me. I find myself typing and switching apps all the time.

For example, while I'm typing an email, I need to check my calendar, switch to One Note to copy from a draft, open a contact to copy a phone number, etc.

I use Nova launcher so me Key2 is huge because apparently you can use keyboard shortcuts with other launchers.
    Well that is finally a good point. Using other launchers without sacrificing the keyboard shortcuts. Never thought about that
    Kraeutermann and SolarBear28 like this.
    06-21-18 08:32 AM
    Surely pressing the speed key at the same time as a shortcut key is one step.
    Home button then a short cut key is two steps.
    IMHO

Posted via my Awesome passport
    Not unless you have a forked thumb.
    06-21-18 10:41 AM
    well but when you want to use the speed key for the right side of the pkb (beginning from U, J and N to the right) your thumbs get so cramped in that tiny space that it's more like 2.5 steps
    06-21-18 11:05 AM
    I guess what is miss understood ist the fact that you use speed key and shortcut at the same time (more or less) and not after each other. And I guess it is designed for people that jump back and forth between apps. Like check the calender in between writing an email. Check something in another app and come back to where you left. More like speeding up your work flow. Not like saving hours each day but jumping back and forth faster. That is the first point and the second one is using other launchers.
    06-21-18 11:35 AM
    Yeab but that doesn't really speed up the process because they both require two steps. Not sure why it's called "Speed Key".
    If all your apps are one click away on the home screen, then the difference might be slight. But for someone like me who is keyboard based and who organizes apps by context-activity in multiple folders on multiple screen, the speed key would be a huge improvement over Android's inefficient navigation scheme.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    krazyatom and Jansw1976 like this.
    06-21-18 11:45 AM
    If all your apps are one click away on the home screen, then the difference might be slight. But for someone like me who is keyboard based and who organizes apps by context-activity in multiple folders on multiple screen, the speed key would be a huge improvement over Android's inefficient navigation scheme.

Putting apps in multiple forlders on multiple screens would cause same navigation issues on any OS. Not sure why you feel android is the problem. If you had multiple apps in folders on multiple screens on BB10 the navigation wouldn't really be much different.
    06-21-18 12:25 PM
    The difference is clear : try pressing home button in your K1 ...there are a little second you have to wait for home screen (depending on the app you are viewing) to press the shortcut button, otherwise you will not have the shortcut effect and you have to check it and sometimes press it again. On key 2 i assume that you dont have to wait , you simply press the two buttons and wait for the effect without having to check if it got your shortcut press...
    06-21-18 01:01 PM
    Putting apps in multiple forlders on multiple screens would cause same navigation issues on any OS. Not sure why you feel android is the problem. If you had multiple apps in folders on multiple screens on BB10 the navigation wouldn't really be much different.
    Of course, but that's the beauty of the shortcut keys. You can organize your folders and apps in a logical way instead of optimizing for navigation. For people like me whose fingers are always on the keys anyway and who switches tasks very frequently it's a HUGE improvement over standard Android navigation. I'd prefer to lose the home button altogether and am looking forward to more gestures on Android P.

06-21-18 01:18 PM
    I guess what is miss understood ist the fact that you use speed key and shortcut at the same time (more or less) and not after each other. And I guess it is designed for people that jump back and forth between apps. Like check the calender in between writing an email. Check something in another app and come back to where you left. More like speeding up your work flow. Not like saving hours each day but jumping back and forth faster. That is the first point and the second one is using other launchers.
    ^^^This! I often need to access 3-4 resources while composing an email, and I do that more than a hundred times a day. Constantly navigating through the Home and Task-switching buttons is distracting and slow compared to a 1-2 button pushing that is faster and doesn't require me to look at the screen to target an app.

06-21-18 01:22 PM
    Pretty sure it was confirmed that this would be the case. They KeyOne is my first android phone, so I've just been using the included BB Launcher because I didn't know any better. It's sounding like Nova is a pretty good option - I think i'll check it out.
    mr hoopitz! long time no chat! Yes, Nova is a great launcher with great customization features and i use it on ALL my slab phones. I've noticed every december or so, Nova launcher goes on sale for $1 (normally $5)
    06-21-18 03:44 PM
    Pretty sure it was confirmed that this would be the case. They KeyOne is my first android phone, so I've just been using the included BB Launcher because I didn't know any better. It's sounding like Nova is a pretty good option - I think i'll check it out.
    My understanding is that keyboard shortcuts still work like they do on the K1, so your one handed scenarios is still intact. The speed-key just adds the ability to also use keyboard shortcuts when not on the home screen.

Of course if you don't use the BB launcher you would not get the homescreen shortcuts.
    06-21-18 05:40 PM
    Exactly, it may not be less steps for your fingers, but it is less steps for your phone to carry out.
    06-24-18 07:40 PM
    Taking the OP's point as they intended, and as others have pointed out, pressing the speed key and shortcut Key at the same time is quicker than pressing the home key, then the shortcut key.

I do though hope they allow us to customise (if we choose) the speed key for a single shortcut - like a convenience key, but more convenient.

I still think they should have added the speed key on the far right where there is currently a blank. Pressing the speed key and the M is going to be a little awkward.
    06-24-18 08:46 PM
43 12