Hello guys,

I am just not fully understanding the speed key feature.

Speed key + short cut key = that's two steps.

Home button + short cut key = two steps

Am I missing something? What's the benefits?
    06-20-18 04:21 PM
    I don't know yet. When you get the key2 send it to me so I can play around with it.
    06-20-18 04:44 PM
    I don't know yet. When you get the key2 send it to me so I can play around with it.
    You got me!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-20-18 04:54 PM
    If you have eight apps open you have to find the correct app to select. With the key presses you have to find your shortcut key.

It may or may not make much difference other than the fact that you always know where the key is, opposed to searching the app screen.

I am willing to give them a little leeway until I experience it with my own hands.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    06-20-18 05:00 PM
    If you have eight apps open you have to find the correct app to select. With the key presses you have to find your shortcut key.

It may or may not make much difference other than the fact that you always know where the key is, opposed to searching the app screen.

I am willing to give them a little leeway until I experience it with my own hands.
    I think you missed the OP point. He isn't talking about going to recent app screen.
    06-20-18 05:03 PM
    Hello guys,

I guess the time for an app to minimize when you hit the home button is no longer required when you can launch apps from anywhere.
    citystars41 likes this.
    06-20-18 05:03 PM
    I guess the time for an app to minimize when you hit the home button is no longer required when you can launch apps from anywhere.
    Yeab but that doesn't really speed up the process because they both require two steps. Not sure why it's called "Speed Key".
    06-20-18 05:06 PM
    easy you dont need to take your hand off the keyboard thus saving some time
    06-20-18 05:10 PM
    seems to me...you don't have to leave the app you are in to open another app by reaching up to the home button, or reaching for the square and then selecting a screen touch operation. The keyboard is a more natural keypress than the hard buttons above the keyboard.

I don't have one to test this theory but I get the logic.
    06-20-18 05:11 PM
    I think you missed the OP point. He isn't talking about going to recent app screen.
    You are correct. I didn't think it through. I currently use the DTEK 60 and don't have access to the keyboard shortcuts, so I was thinking of my own usage rather than comparing to the KEYone.

Everybody just ignore my previous post 🤐
    06-20-18 05:18 PM
    Yeab but that doesn't really speed up the process because they both require two steps. Not sure why it's called "Speed Key".
    That's what the OP is saying.
    06-20-18 05:20 PM
    Hello guys,

Pretty much it's that u don't have to go to the home screen before using a shortcut. U can be in the middle of typing a reply like I currently am then decide u wanna hear Dr Loomis yellin "no, no, noooo, nnooowww", so then u can hit the speed key + Y (if thats how u programmed) and it will open YouTube. Then search Dr Loomis yellin no and viola.

I wouldn't call it a two step process. More like 2 button process ;-)
    krazyatom and joseanmx like this.
    06-20-18 05:21 PM
    Hello guys,

What if the App isn't in the recent apps list?
    You can now technically launch any app from any app.

So any app you've got on your shortcuts can be launched any time. It doesnt need to be on Recent apps list.

Also two clicks with the keyboard is faster and you dont need to see the keyboard. If you're comparing it with Recent Apps, then also add Recent App Button + scroll throw the list + select app (that's technically 3 steps and not counting time taken to find app using your eyes)

Hope that explains
    krazyatom and joseanmx like this.
    06-20-18 05:42 PM
    Hello guys,

You missed one thing ... it's actually LESS convenient to use the speed key because you need two hands to do it. With one hand, you can hit the home button, and then hit the shortcut key. With the speed key, however, you need to keep it held down, which forces you to use the other hand.
    krazyatom and Kraeutermann like this.
    06-20-18 05:45 PM
    You missed one thing ... it's actually LESS convenient to use the speed key because you need two hands to do it. With one hand, you can hit the home button, and then hit the shortcut key. With the speed key, however, you need to keep it held down, which forces you to use the other hand.
    You do realise it's a physical keyboard phone, if you need a one hand phone, this isn't the right choice.

I use both hands when I'm typing and using the phone for being more accurate and productive.

I love the Speed Key for accurately changing apps and launching them. Especially when I'm not going to use the BlackBerry Launcher.
    tigrute likes this.
    06-20-18 05:49 PM
    Hello guys,

the benefit of using whatever launcher you like (like Nova Launcher) as the shortcuts are baked into the system rather than the launcher.

what i imagine (since i don't have one yet) that i won't like however, is the fact you need to press and hold the speed key to use the shortcuts... that requires 2 hands when i'd rather have a one-handed phone
    06-20-18 05:51 PM
    Good point.
    06-20-18 06:02 PM
    the benefit of using whatever launcher you like (like Nova Launcher) as the shortcuts are baked into the system rather than the launcher.

what i imagine (since i don't have one yet) that i won't like however, is the fact you need to press and hold the speed key to use the shortcuts... that requires 2 hands when i'd rather have a one-handed phone
    If speed key works without the blackberry launcher, that would be very useful to me since I do enjoy 3rd party launcher like nova.
    06-20-18 06:05 PM
    You do realise it's a physical keyboard phone, if you need a one hand phone, this isn't the right choice.
    That's a really naïve viewpoint, IMO. Just because it has a keyboard, that doesn't mean I ONLY use the phone to type. There are lots of things I can, and do on my K1 with one hand, and I think it was a huge oversight that they developed the speed key this way. My only thought is that they were concerned about people accidentally hitting it, while typing, and then the subsequent key pressed would take them to an app they don't want to be in. If this was the case, they could, at least, give people the option for how they want to use the speed key.
    06-20-18 06:07 PM
    If speed key works without the blackberry launcher, that would be very useful to me since I do enjoy 3rd party launcher like nova.
    Pretty sure it was confirmed that this would be the case. They KeyOne is my first android phone, so I've just been using the included BB Launcher because I didn't know any better. It's sounding like Nova is a pretty good option - I think i'll check it out.
    krazyatom likes this.
    06-20-18 06:12 PM
    That's a really naïve viewpoint, IMO. Just because it has a keyboard, that doesn't mean I ONLY use the phone to type. There are lots of things I can, and do on my K1 with one hand, and I think it was a huge oversight that they developed the speed key this way. My only thought is that they were concerned about people accidentally hitting it, while typing, and then the subsequent key pressed would take them to an app they don't want to be in. If this was the case, they could, at least, give people the option for how they want to use the speed key.
    The speed key is designed to be used with two hands.
    I would like to know what would you like to use it for single handedly.

You still have a convenience key to program per your liking. If the argument is to use the speed key for any other shortcut then people can come up using any keyboard key for any shortcut since they dont use the physical keyboard for just typing.

I think it's not an oversight from BlackBerry but actually a well thought and nifty feature.

Again it's my opinion and we'll see the use when we have the device in our hands. Dont want to speculate that much.
    06-20-18 06:16 PM
    The speed key is designed to be used with two hands.
    I would like to know what would you like to use it for single handedly.
    There are endless things for which I could use the speed key single handedly. Take what just happened, for instance...

I was scrolling through an article on my phone (with one hand), when I got a pop-up notification that someone quoted a post of mine, on CrackBerry. I swiped away the notification (with one hand), then hit the home button (with one hand), then the menu button (with one hand), then the CB app (with one hand ... I'm sure you're getting the point ), then went to the forums to view, and subsequently respond (two hands!) to your reply. It would have been very useful for me, in this case, to be able to hit the speed key button, and then hit a shortcut button programmed for the CB app.

Just because this phone has a keyboard, doesn't mean one-handed operability should be looked over. There are lots of times when I'm lazily responding to something with one hand, using the PKB, and i'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

I see a lot of functionality with the speed key, and I'm excited to give it a try, but I just think it's crazy that it doesn't have one-handed (or the option to enable/disable) functionality. BB is all about productivity, but they've limited this new feature to be useful ONLY with two hands, and again, I think that was a huge oversight.
    06-20-18 06:32 PM
    Hello guys,

I own a key2. Although it's still a 2 step process, It's definitely faster than hitting the home button, pausing to look for the app you're trying to open, or maybe even swiping left to the second page where the app is located and then pressing it. The speed key is instant and when you go back it takes you right where you left off. There is absolutely no delay when using the speed key. Plus your fingers are naturally located at the bottom part of the phone so access is much quicker.
    06-20-18 11:29 PM
    I own a key2. Although it's still a 2 step process, It's definitely faster than hitting the home button, pausing to look for the app you're trying to open, or maybe even swiping left to the second page where the app is located and then pressing it. The speed key is instant and when you go back it takes you right where you left off. There is absolutely no delay when using the speed key. Plus your fingers are naturally located at the bottom part of the phone so access is much quicker.
    What if you already have short press short cut created. For example, i have “i” assigned for instagram.
    06-21-18 12:32 AM
    I don't understand why are there so many people misunderstood about the point made by Op. OP mentioning about:

"Speed Key + Short cut key" vs "press home button + short cut key"

Both of above are 2 steps processes, so what makes the speed key more special?

OP IS NOT MENTIONING ABOUT SELECTING APP FROM THE RECENT APP LIST NOR MANUALLY SELECTING THE APP FROM THE APP LIST.
    06-21-18 01:39 AM
43 12