Hi, a few weeks ago I had to use my Key2 in rather heavy rain for a while. I had serious problems with the bottom row of buttons afterwards, they either didn't work or resulted into the wrong symbol. While the other buttons were working again the next day, I'm still having problems with my spacebar weeks later. I have to press it pretty hard to get a space, otherwise it doesn't work. This means my typing speed has been seriously reduced, since I have to consciously press it harder after every single word.

It also seems that, since then, my GPS on Google Maps has been pointing the wrong way.

How can I fix this?
    08-06-19 08:35 AM
    Some have had success with compressed air fixing some keyboard issues, but I suspect yours was damaged by the water. Might have to look into buying a replacement keyboard.

GPS.... might try calibrating the compass.
    anon(10387168) and Byrese like this.
    08-06-19 09:56 AM
    Here we go again with the KEY2 and spacebar...

OP, if the compressed air trick doesn't work, you may want to look into this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F401752331648
    08-06-19 10:15 AM
    Here we go again with the KEY2 and spacebar...

OP, if the compressed air trick doesn't work, you may want to look into this:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...2F401752331648
    Still not a red option....

But using a KEY2 in heavy rain... can't blame anyone but the user.
    melhiore likes this.
    08-06-19 10:19 AM
    Still not a red option....

I'm not looking for someone to blame, just for a solution
    It's pointless to get a smartphone if I can't use it for directions under all weather circumstances.

I'll try to find a way to apply compressed air.
    08-06-19 11:20 AM
    I'm not looking for someone to blame, just for a solution
    It's pointless to get a smartphone if I can't use it for directions under all weather circumstances.

I'll try to find a way to apply compressed air.
    Compressed air has indeed helped with some of our PKB defects. Just keep in mind that moisture is also blown in when using compressed air, use as little as possible to achieve relief. Good luck,
    08-06-19 11:46 AM

Actually, no, I'll STILL blame TCL's poor spacebar design.

If I knew we we'd be getting these kinds of issues more often than we should, then I would have MUCH more preferred that they put the fingerprint sensor on the side of the phone rather than get creative with the spacebar.

Sure, it's less "cool", but it's also less risky.

Most legacy BBOS and BB10 devices could probably have their PKB survive light to moderate rain just fine, since its a rubber membrane that sits underneath the entire keyboard.

It's also the case for the KEYBerry's, but the separate spacebar design screws up that water resistance since we have the electronics sitting right below the button instead of the rubber membrane.
    anon(10387168) and Byrese like this.
    08-06-19 12:11 PM
    This sucks! Have you found any success? Is it working again as normal?
    08-06-19 02:28 PM
    This sucks! Have you found any success? Is it working again as normal?
    I tried a vacuum cleaner, which didn't work, but I don't have immediate access to something which blows compressed air (instead of sucking it), so I couldn't try it yet.
    08-06-19 03:44 PM
    I tried a vacuum cleaner, which didn't work, but I don't have immediate access to something which blows compressed air (instead of sucking it), so I couldn't try it yet.
    Maybe just a duster air can?
    08-06-19 07:33 PM
    I have this very problem. had to use my KEY2 in heavy rain a couple of weeks ago. I paid £615 GBP for it in late November / early December last year. I have it fully insured with protectyourbubble but 1) I am not sure if the policy will cover water damage, and 2) I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay £75 excess to get it repaired.
    08-06-19 08:59 PM
    Try ebay or amazon, mine was on the doorstep within a couple of days. It has helped the K2 space bar for me, it didn't work on the right hand side and now does about 90%. Of the time.

Posted via my Awesome passport
    08-07-19 02:06 AM
    I have this very problem. had to use my KEY2 in heavy rain a couple of weeks ago. I paid £615 GBP for it in late November / early December last year. I have it fully insured with protectyourbubble but 1) I am not sure if the policy will cover water damage, and 2) I'm not sure if I'm willing to pay £75 excess to get it repaired.
    I've had water damaged devices that got better and never had an issue again. I've had water damaged devices that seemed to get better, but then weeks later died on me.

You would have to check the policy, but I know my wife's Assurion does protect against water damage.
    08-07-19 07:55 AM
    Hi Everyone
    had space bar issues two months ago. It became much less sensitive and I had to press much stronger to have it working and putting a space between words. this caused a much slower typing pattern.
    after 3 days problem vanished and space bar was working perfectly again.

10 days ago, same problem appeared.
    This time the right side of the space bar was the only side being less sensitive. And since yesterday, it is working perfectly again.
    I'm currently typing on my Key2 and the space bar is working seamlessly.

Could ask my cell provider to give me a refurbish phone. Though, it's always a pain in the *ss to switch phone. Plus, I love using my first hand phone.
    Could also ask for repair, but they wipe the phone so same issue as above, plus 2 to 3 weeks wait.

Not sure where this space bar issue comes from... and why all of a sudden it starts working perfectly again... maybe some kind of dust gets under it and then moves under the keyboard...

Anyone knows where this can be coming from ?

thanks in advance
    08-13-19 03:58 AM
    Hi Everyone
    had space bar issues two months ago. It became much less sensitive and I had to press much stronger to have it working and putting a space between words. this caused a much slower typing pattern.
    after 3 days problem vanished and space bar was working perfectly again.

10 days ago, same problem appeared.
    This time the right side of the space bar was the only side being less sensitive. And since yesterday, it is working perfectly again.
    I'm currently typing on my Key2 and the space bar is working seamlessly.

Could ask my cell provider to give me a refurbish phone. Though, it's always a pain in the *ss to switch phone. Plus, I love using my first hand phone.
    Could also ask for repair, but they wipe the phone so same issue as above, plus 2 to 3 weeks wait.

Not sure where this space bar issue comes from... and why all of a sudden it starts working perfectly again... maybe some kind of dust gets under it and then moves under the keyboard...

Anyone knows where this can be coming from ?

thanks in advance
    The it could be pocket lint. I had the same issues with the space bar on the right hand side not sure working and used compressed air method to shift any pocket lint or any foreign bodies that have took up residence under the space bar, this now seems to have cured the problem for me. I have also noticed in the first paragraph of your post that a capital letter is sometimes not being inserted after the full stop which also used to happen with my K2 also.
    08-13-19 04:54 AM
    The it could be pocket lint. I had the same issues with the space bar on the right hand side not sure working and used compressed air method to shift any pocket lint or any foreign bodies that have took up residence under the space bar, this now seems to have cured the problem for me. I have also noticed in the first paragraph of your post that a capital letter is sometimes not being inserted after the full stop which also used to happen with my K2 also.
    Hi Falbo,

Probably pocket lint as you say.
    The capital letter yes, I noticed this while writting the post, though, it works perfectly on other apps.
    08-13-19 07:15 AM
    i had success using tire inflator air. press left side of space bar and blow in from the right. then do the other side next.
    08-13-19 07:21 AM
    I had the same issue with the space bar the last three weeks during my holidays. Very annoying. Two days ago I cleaned the key board with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush and now it is working perfectly as expected.
    08-14-19 03:40 AM
    Hi Falbo,

Probably pocket lint as you say.
    The capital letter yes, I noticed this while writting the post, though, it works perfectly on other apps.
    It has been an issue on CB app since forever
    Must check, though, seems to have gone better whit the most recent update?
    08-14-19 01:45 PM
    Lets hope they don't need to ship the KEY3 with a can of compressed air
    Smokeaire likes this.
    08-14-19 01:59 PM
    Lets hope they don't need to ship the KEY3 with a can of compressed air
    Or screen glue.
    08-14-19 03:02 PM
    i had success using tire inflator air. press left side of space bar and blow in from the right. then do the other side next.
    Good tip ! Thanks

Did a full clean up of my keyboard w/ a compressed air spray bought on amazon and quite powerful.
    Incredible how many lit can be stuck under our beloved keyboard !
    08-15-19 03:23 AM
    I had the same issue with the space bar the last three weeks during my holidays. Very annoying. Two days ago I cleaned the key board with a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush and now it is working perfectly as expected.
    Thanks for the info.
    This issue seems indeed to be due to pocket lit
    08-15-19 03:51 AM
    This is a cautionary tale. To mitigate water damage in the future I will plan on having a clear plastic bag with me. We get lots of rain here in the winter months.
    I bought a protector for phones that is for protecting your phone when taking it around water. It is waterproof when closed properly. It is kind of bulky but you can even use touch phones in it. An advantage of a pkb, of course, is that you can more easily type on it through a plastic bag.
    08-15-19 03:55 AM
    Good tip ! Thanks

Did a full clean up of my keyboard w/ a compressed air spray bought on amazon and quite powerful.
    Incredible how many lit can be stuck under our beloved keyboard !
    Glad you got a good result. Just remember to turn the device off first
    08-15-19 05:01 AM
44 12