We knew about these issues for a while. It is what it is. Even I got over it, and I'm the most picky out there when it comes to my keyboards.
    Yeah. That's mechanical issue. Even someone who said theirs is fine, after some period of time of usage, it would fall.
    01-14-21 07:03 AM
    Yeah. That's mechanical issue. Even someone who said theirs is fine, after some period of time of usage, it would fall.
    Still waiting for a failure after 2.5 years on mine.
    01-14-21 07:47 AM
    Not all will fail just because someone said so.

I believe the majority of KEY2's will become too slow/outdated long before their spacebar even starts having input issues.

As of now, I heard roughly about 40 complaints about these issues since launch, but since not everyone posts their issues online, lets say 500 units total have had issues, out of maybe 200K KEY2's sold.

It's still an issue, just not as big as some might think. If it were, TCL would have had to recall them like they did the early silver KEYone's.
    01-14-21 07:50 AM
    Not all will fail just because someone said so.

I believe the majority of KEY2's will become too slow/outdated long before their spacebar even starts having input issues.
    Yeah.. What I mean is it's natural for mechanical component to fail for some period of time depending on the usage. Of course it would get slow, it wasn't so powerful from the beginning.
    01-14-21 10:30 AM
    Gah, seems to be getting worse again now. Has to be the left side.

Run me through the software fix again- I cleared the specified cache, then rebooted. Is the reboot the same as the "force start" or whatever was mentioned?
    01-16-21 12:42 PM
    not single spacebar trouble here
    01-27-21 08:34 AM
    Well, here we go again! After the October update mine and others Spacebar has started acting up. Space presses are not recognized at times. This started immediately after the last update! Spacebar is solid and no wobble. Have cleared Keyboard Cache and executed a 32+ second reboot and problem persists!

@LiamQ could you please look into this and advise?

If anyone else has noticed this behaviour please feel free to post here. Hopefully the next update will bring the fix.
    Mine just started to get much worse with the January update. I bought the Key2 used last March just before the pandemic, knowing the potential keyboard issue with the phone. The seller assured me that he hadn't experienced the issue. When I received the phone it worked probably 98% of the time, with just a few random double presses and the occasional press that went unrecognized. Not perfect, but acceptable.

Keyboard spacebar performance went from reasonably solid to around the October update when random double presses, more frequent ignored presses started happening. The update may be unrelated to the issue, I use the phone a lot. My hands are a lot cleaner than they were pre-pandemic, but I cannot rule out this being a gunk issue either.

Now I have the January update, and over the past week or so the spacebar doesn't recognize keypresses at all, not even accidental double presses 99.9% of the time while the finger print sensor has always been, and still is, 100% reliable. The spacebar did work a little after the update but as of 3 days ago the spacebar is essentially non-functional.

Now for an experiment that seems to have bought me a little time.
    Since I am not sure if its gunk or software updates or what that is causing the keyboard to fail, I thought maybe if it was gunk, a little sonic vibration might help move gunk around/away if that was the issue. I held the phone in my hand and in my other hand had a clean "back massager" holding the tip against the keyboard for 30 seconds or so. I applied varying pressure so it was being pressed down completely and vibrating for a bit, then a little less so it was making the spacebar press up and down very rapidly moving from the left side of the keyboard to the right and back, and then light enough so it just wiggled the key rapidly, and varying back and forth for a bit.

This experiment is only about an hour old now, but if I hit it about 2/3's over from left to right and push down and to the left as I tap, it will recognize the keypress some of the time again. We'll see if it returns to its non-functional state or if this has actually bought a little time.

So two questions for the group:

1) has anyone had any success disassembling the phone/keyboard to clean it thoroughly and check connections and so on with it working better after?

2) has anyone had any success replacing the keyboard with one available from ebay?
    (they are about $60USD and take 2-4 weeks to arrive so its both too expensive and too long a wait to buy a replacement for a low success rate) I would REALLY appreciate feedback from anyone who's done it
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=dhTRn8Hw

I have replaced my old priv's battery twice, my passport's screen and battery (my favourite phone to work on!), and have replaced phone screens for my friends multiple times. Tearing down a phone is fun but I won't do it unless I know I have a reasonable chance at success. I was intending to replace the Key2 with the 5G that's due this year, but covid has made it so even a $60 replacement keyboard is an investment I have to budget for, let alone budgeting for a new phone, so I can't afford to take a chance like I could have this time last year.
    01-30-21 04:10 PM
    After receiving the January security update, my spacebar started missing inputs. Since the KEY2 is not my primary phone, I didn't care too much. Just got the February update and the problem is still there. Tried the usual stuff, 32 second reset, clearing cache and the problem still persists.

It happened the moment I go the January update... so it seems like it's a software issue, still not resolved with the February update.

Any ideas?
    02-14-21 10:34 AM
    After receiving the January security update, my spacebar started missing inputs. Since the KEY2 is not my primary phone, I didn't care too much. Just got the February update and the problem is still there. Tried the usual stuff, 32 second reset, clearing cache and the problem still persists.

It happened the moment I go the January update... so it seems like it's a software issue, still not resolved with the February update.

Any ideas?
    If it was software, wouldn't we be getting a LOT more complaints?

I would suggest a factory reset.
    Rootbrian likes this.
    02-14-21 11:48 AM

Any ideas?
    As someone else mentioned, perform a factory reset and do NOT backup any applications/settings/data. Export your contacts to the SD card or SIM, then import them after you've customised/setup your device. Remember, Android does screw up, and it needs fixing after a while.

From my blackberry key2 LE on Freedom Mobile LTE or 3G/H+
    02-14-21 12:50 PM
    If it was software, wouldn't we be getting a LOT more complaints?

I would suggest a factory reset.
    It's obviously software related if it started happening immediately after the update.

There has been other instances in the past where some had slowdown or heating issues after an update and not others.
    02-14-21 01:14 PM

Any ideas?
    This is my KEY2 spacebar fix list, I'd go in order:

1. Force stop and clear the cache for the BB keyboard app. You'll need to go to the settings where you see all the apps and then hit the three dots at the top and then "show system" to see it in the list.
    2. Try installing SwiftKey and see if that helps.
    3. Try using it without any keyboard app (meaning BB keyboard disabled and SwiftKey uninstalled)
    4. Try disabling "double press spacebar to insert a period" in the BB keyboard settings.
    5. Take a can of compressed air and really try to spray air in there going from the sides or from the top or bottom to try to clear some dust out of there.
    6. Try typing a bit slower to see if that helps
    7. Try hitting the right side of the spacebar as opposed to the center or the left. Right should work better.
    8. Factory reset
    9. Replace the keyboard (which you shouldn't have to do since yours has to be software related)
    02-14-21 01:14 PM
    It's obviously software related if it started happening immediately after the update.

There has been other instances in the past where some had slowdown or heating issues after an update and not others.
    Don't conflate the actual software with the update process itself - where something likely went wrong under the hood.

Many things can cause this - from an unusual device state to a data error during download.
    02-14-21 01:24 PM
113 ... 345