Coming for a keyone, I was looking forward to the keyboard on the key2...really happy with it except the spacebar. It doesn't sound or feel the same as the rest of the keys.

Anyone else have the same view?
    10-26-18 07:11 AM
    nope
    10-26-18 07:27 AM
    Hello and welcome my friend. Please feel free to take a look on the forum, I think is a common issue already posted here. Personally don't have it cause I use le version but like to read big brother forum too.G.
    Olly_p likes this.
    10-26-18 07:27 AM
    Coming for a keyone, I was looking forward to the keyboard on the key2...really happy with it except the spacebar. It doesn't sound or feel the same as the rest of the keys.

Anyone else have the same view?
    My KEY2 with a manufacture date of August 3, 2018 is not plagued with the space bar key issue. Yes, it does feel slightly different than the PKB keys but it is not loose or wobbly. Functions just fine for me and the fingerprint scanner/sensor works as it should also.

Bob
    Olly_p and the_boon like this.
    10-26-18 08:33 AM
    My KEY2 with a manufacture date of August 3, 2018 is not plagued with the space bar key issue. Yes, it does feel slightly different than the PKB keys but it is not loose or wobbly. Functions just fine for me and the fingerprint scanner/sensor works as it should also.

Bob
    It functions perfectly.... Just isn't the same as the others quite noticeably.
    10-26-18 08:37 AM
    Hello and welcome my friend. Please feel free to take a look on the forum, I think is a common issue already posted here. Personally don't have it cause I use le version but like to read big brother forum too.G.
    I will have a look, thanks
    10-26-18 08:37 AM
    A few people mentioned that the louder noise settles in after a month or two of use, but I still don't think it will feel exactly the same as the other keys, unless BBMo changes the way it's designed.

Several have reported that the spacebar is generally a bit better on later units (August and newer), but I haven't held one myself yet.
    10-26-18 08:55 AM
    I transitioned from a PRIV to the KEY2 so I have no comparison to a KEYone or the new LE. I have been having been using BlackBerry PKB's since 2005 and I feel the PKB and the spacebar key is quite acceptable in comparison to the previous models I have had over the years. I find the KEY2 reminiscent of the Bold 9900 which has been mentioned by others here on CB.

In any event, I am very pleased with the overall performance of the PKB and the spacebar key on my KEY2.

Bob
    10-26-18 08:55 AM
    I transitioned from a PRIV to the KEY2 so I have no comparison to a KEYone or the new LE. I have been having been using BlackBerry PKB's since 2005 and I feel the PKB and the spacebar key is quite acceptable in comparison to the previous models I have had over the years. I find the KEY2 reminiscent of the Bold 9900 which has been mentioned by others here on CB.

In any event, I am very pleased with the overall performance of the PKB and the spacebar key on my KEY2.

Bob
    Ok here is to a bedding in period then! Hopefully the it will quiet down the rest of the phone is excellent so far!
    10-26-18 08:59 AM
    Ok here is to a bedding in period then! Hopefully the it will quiet down the rest of the phone is excellent so far!
    I have had my KEY2 for 2 weeks as I mentioned previously and I will admit that during the first few days the space bar key did make a clicking sound. However, after a good amount of use during this time the clicking sound did disappear.

Bob
    10-26-18 09:06 AM
    I have had my KEY2 for 2 weeks as I mentioned previously and I will admit that during the first few days the space bar key did make a clicking sound. However, after a good amount of use during this time the clicking sound did disappear.

Bob
    Excellent news!!
    10-26-18 09:07 AM
    More than 35000 words typed on a k2 and space bar still makes noise...

Manufacturing cature date August

Prefer K1 pkb really.
    10-26-18 09:09 AM
    I have the phone for 2 months , there is a slightly different noise and feel on the space bar but it's not at all disturbing.
    Also on a PC the clickness is different because it's a bigger key.
    10-26-18 02:02 PM
    Click or no clicking does not feel the same and it will take getting used to. Mine was not wobbly but I had to train myself to sense if I actually clicked it.

Didn't like the lack of touch sensitivity either. Two or three swipes is ridiculous for a new phone. The Keyone I now have works so much better it's like night and day
    10-26-18 02:11 PM
    Definitely gets quieter over time and use.
    10-26-18 10:32 PM
    Definitely gets quieter over time and use.
    Agreed... 👍

Bob
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    10-26-18 10:34 PM
    you people must either have severe OCD or not much to do if the different click sound of the spacebar is the such an issue in your lives......
    conbrio29 and PHughes like this.
    10-27-18 12:27 AM
    you people must either have severe OCD or not much to do if the different click sound of the spacebar is the such an issue in your lives......
    Well, I forked out 650€ for the K2 so I could do 80% of all my personal and work email on this phone. I probably don't do much but the little I do, I do I on this phone, using exclusively the pkb, and the clicky spacebar did annoy me terribly. Considering the KEY2 LE' s spacebar seems to have been spared the issue, some people at TCL probably thought so too.
    10-27-18 01:17 AM
    Or maybe they just re-used the one from the key one as they had them left over?

It just seems people want something not to like, genuine defects are one thing but this is a bit much
    10-27-18 02:29 AM
    Well, I forked out 650€ for the K2 so I could do 80% of all my personal and work email on this phone. I probably don't do much but the little I do, I do I on this phone, using exclusively the pkb, and the clicky spacebar did annoy me terribly. Considering the KEY2 LE' s spacebar seems to have been spared the issue, some people at TCL probably thought so too.
    I'm gonna have to agree with you here.

This phone's main selling point is the keyboard, and it should be nothing short of perfect. By perfect I don't mean necessarily better than the Bold 9900, but rather that each key should have a consistent click. That includes the spacebar, even if it has an fp scanner underneath.

They should simply copy the KEYone/LE's design for basically all upcoming device spacebars
    The_Passporter and DWonder like this.
    10-27-18 03:41 PM
    I still don't get why people think the spacebar being slightly different is such a big deal. With three KEYones, the difference in sound between the spacebar and the rest of the keys was definitely MORE significant than on the Key2.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Key2 or the manufacturing of it, but I think the concerns about it are more of a mob mentality at this point. Why was it never mentioned on the KEYone? Or did I literally get three oddball units (one black)?

The only thing that IS different is that the spacebar on the Key2 has a relatively softer press than the rest of the keys, whereas on the KEYone, it was the opposite. That took a little getting used to.
    10-27-18 04:26 PM
    I still don't get why people think the spacebar being slightly different is such a big deal. With three KEYones, the difference in sound between the spacebar and the rest of the keys was definitely MORE significant than on the Key2.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Key2 or the manufacturing of it, but I think the concerns about it are more of a mob mentality at this point. Why was it never mentioned on the KEYone? Or did I literally get three oddball units (one black)?

The only thing that IS different is that the spacebar on the Key2 has a relatively softer press than the rest of the keys, whereas on the KEYone, it was the opposite. That took a little getting used to.
    I'll tell you why.

First of all, if the KEY2 was the first gen device, then there might have been less fuss as people would have said "well it's their first attempt at a fingerprint scanner under a moving part".
    But this is not the case, as they essentially mastered it on their first try with the KEYone (and the LE as well).
    Also, I've owned several KEYones, both black and silver, and yes the spacebar also moves around a bit and yes, it doesn't click exactly the same as the rest of the keys.
    The difference is that the KEYone's spacebar had a nice firm click, so it was much easier to forgive the little wobbling. There was zero rattling with it as well.
    On the KEY2, the spacebar is even bigger so when you look at it, you expect such a big button to have a really firm click with good key travel and resistance, which is not exactly the case.
    It's also because the rest of the keys are so good that it makes the loud and underwhelming spacebar feel worse. If the rest of the keys had the same shallow travel and loud noise, then obviously it wouldn't stand out as much.
    When you rest your thumb on such a big button, you want it to be extremely firm and not loose.
    Now some say theirs has settled a bit after some use, which is great and all, but again, they had it right with the KEYone so why did they even change a formula that worked?
    AmritD likes this.
    10-27-18 04:44 PM
    I'm gonna have to agree with you here.

This phone's main selling point is the keyboard, and it should be nothing short of perfect. By perfect I don't mean necessarily better than the Bold 9900, but rather that each key should have a consistent click. That includes the spacebar, even if it has an fp scanner underneath.

They should simply copy the KEYone/LE's design for basically all upcoming device spacebars
    I concur 100%.
    I had the KEY2 for only a few days and I'm sure the performance was excellent as I all have not heard otherwise. The 20% larger keyboard made for an enjoyable roomy spread but that's as far as that went.

The reason I did not dig deeper into the phone was the keyboard. I did not enjoy the feel of typing or the weak space bar.
    Like you said I got this phone for the keyboard so and obviously that is the main selling point so "get it right!!!".
    For the KEY3 I would hope for a keyone feel and touch sensitivity of the Passport with the room and size+1 of the keyboard.

I suppose if I did not have the Passport I would not know any better but I do so there it is.
    10-28-18 05:11 PM
    I concur 100%.
    I had the KEY2 for only a few days and I'm sure the performance was excellent as I all have not heard otherwise. The 20% larger keyboard made for an enjoyable roomy spread but that's as far as that went.

The reason I did not dig deeper into the phone was the keyboard. I did not enjoy the feel of typing or the weak space bar.
    Like you said I got this phone for the keyboard so and obviously that is the main selling point so "get it right!!!".
    For the KEY3 I would hope for a keyone feel and touch sensitivity of the Passport with the room and size+1 of the keyboard.

I suppose if I did not have the Passport I would not know any better but I do so there it is.
    Not having used the Key2 , I can't honestly compare to Passport. I would surmise that BBMo/TCL doesn't really care about comparison at this point since target market is more about prospective customers that haven't recently or ever used PKB device.
    10-28-18 08:53 PM
    Not having used the Key2 , I can't honestly compare to Passport. I would surmise that BBMo/TCL doesn't really care about comparison at this point since target market is more about prospective customers that haven't recently or ever used PKB device.
    If your surmise is correct then I would conclude that my decision to stay with my OnePlus3T is a well calculated one. If their game plan/strategy is to ride the curtails of Blackberry and not strive to make exceptional keyboards that have wowed Blackberry fans then I doubt I will have to buy TCL made devices to test for much longer.
    10-28-18 09:29 PM
38 12