I recently bought my Blackberry Key2 (Silver) through Amazon.com a little over two weeks ago, and I've downloaded all of the recent updates (up to ABP242). For the most part, I've gotten a handle on the phone's features, and I like the phone so far - but there is one issue that I haven't gotten past: I can't connect to one of my two WiFi networks. I was able to connect to the one that's set up as both a modem and wireless router (it's an Actiontec Modem given by the phone company). But I haven't been able to connect to a basic Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHZ router that I have, which is a separate network.

In the past, I've never had a problem connecting either my Samsung tablet or my Blackberry Passport SE to both the Actiontec and the Linksys, but for some reason, my Blackberry Silver Key2 doesn't want to connect to the network that's on the Linksys router. When I click on my phone to connect, it "sees" that network and looks like it's trying to connect to it, but then it never completes and ends up connecting back to the other network I have on the Actiontec Modem/router.

I was able to read up on the other threads where people discussed their WiFi issues, but I haven't seen any solution yet...and I'm trying not to go through the trouble of returning the phone to Amazon, especially since I've been able to get the phone working on my Actiontec modem/router. I just want to find a way to get it to connect to my Linksys router.

So, my question is this: For those who've experienced problems/issues connecting to WiFi networks, how did you fix the problem? And for those who haven't fixed the WiFi problem, may I ask what type of routers you have? I'm wondering if the Key2 just doesn't like a certain brand of routers...
    02-04-19 08:30 PM
    Feedback, anyone?

Anyone?

Was hoping for more help here from fellow Key2-ers.
    02-05-19 01:01 AM
    I recently bought my Blackberry Key2 (Silver) through Amazon.com a little over two weeks ago, and I've downloaded all of the recent updates (up to ABP242). For the most part, I've gotten a handle on the phone's features, and I like the phone so far - but there is one issue that I haven't gotten past: I can't connect to one of my two WiFi networks. I was able to connect to the one that's set up as both a modem and wireless router (it's an Actiontec Modem given by the phone company). But I haven't been able to connect to a basic Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHZ router that I have, which is a separate network.

In the past, I've never had a problem connecting either my Samsung tablet or my Blackberry Passport SE to both the Actiontec and the Linksys, but for some reason, my Blackberry Silver Key2 doesn't want to connect to the network that's on the Linksys router. When I click on my phone to connect, it "sees" that network and looks like it's trying to connect to it, but then it never completes and ends up connecting back to the other network I have on the Actiontec Modem/router.

I was able to read up on the other threads where people discussed their WiFi issues, but I haven't seen any solution yet...and I'm trying not to go through the trouble of returning the phone to Amazon, especially since I've been able to get the phone working on my Actiontec modem/router. I just want to find a way to get it to connect to my Linksys router.

So, my question is this: For those who've experienced problems/issues connecting to WiFi networks, how did you fix the problem? And for those who haven't fixed the WiFi problem, may I ask what type of routers you have? I'm wondering if the Key2 just doesn't like a certain brand of routers...
    Sounds almost like it's being blocked, you don't have the router configured to block/allow MAC IDs do you?

The issue you are describing I do not believe is what the wifi issue is that everyone was experiencing here. Which also seems to have been fixed in the latest update from January.

Just curious, but have you tried making sure that all wifi networks are forgotten first, then try connecting to your Linksys router (before setting back up the Actiontec one). Have you tried restarting your Linksys router? Have you tried restarting your phone and/or turning on and off airplane mode?

Just as a fyi my router is a Linksys with both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. And can connect to either one just fine.
    LG8 likes this.
    02-05-19 06:29 AM
    Sounds almost like it's being blocked, you don't have the router configured to block/allow MAC IDs do you?

The issue you are describing I do not believe is what the wifi issue is that everyone was experiencing here. Which also seems to have been fixed in the latest update from January.

Just curious, but have you tried making sure that all wifi networks are forgotten first, then try connecting to your Linksys router (before setting back up the Actiontec one). Have you tried restarting your Linksys router? Have you tried restarting your phone and/or turning on and off airplane mode?

Just as a fyi my router is a Linksys with both 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. And can connect to either one just fine.
    Oh, damn it...that was the problem: I misspelled the Key2 MAC address on my Linksys 'enable' list. Over the past week, I had to swap out my old Linksys router to another spare that I had, after my 1st one died. So, that meant re-entering all 30+ MAC addresses into the 2nd router. I thought I had thoroughly double-checked my MAC list against what I had typed into the new router, but apparently not! I put a '3' when it should've been an 'E'. Major facepalm moment on my part.

But thank you so much for replying and giving me a check-list of things to look over. If you hadn't, I probably wouldn't have considered re-checking the MAC address that I had entered for the Key2, since I thought I had already double-checked that step! You reminded me that I should re-check and try simple steps, and that was more than enough (yay)! Thanks again for your patient help!

Now, I guess I just need to start another thread and confirm whether or not WiFi calling is truly unavailable through T-Mobile, as mentioned in some other posts...and then all of my Key2 questions will basically be answered, lol.
    Summer_Moon and Bob80220 like this.
    02-05-19 08:21 PM
    Oh, damn it...that was the problem: I misspelled the Key2 MAC address on my Linksys 'enable' list. Over the past week, I had to swap out my old Linksys router to another spare that I had, after my 1st one died. So, that meant re-entering all 30+ MAC addresses into the 2nd router. I thought I had thoroughly double-checked my MAC list against what I had typed into the new router, but apparently not! I put a '3' when it should've been an 'E'. Major facepalm moment on my part.

But thank you so much for replying and giving me a check-list of things to look over. If you hadn't, I probably wouldn't have considered re-checking the MAC address that I had entered for the Key2, since I thought I had already double-checked that step! You reminded me that I should re-check and try simple steps, and that was more than enough (yay)! Thanks again for your patient help!

Now, I guess I just need to start another thread and confirm whether or not WiFi calling is truly unavailable through T-Mobile, as mentioned in some other posts...and then all of my Key2 questions will basically be answered, lol.
    Lol! Well glad that helped about the t-mobile part I'm actually switching to Ultra Mobile later this month that is a t-mobile MVNO. From what I could tell when I put the SIM wifi calling showed up as being able to be provisioned, I didn't do a thorough check on it, but there were definitely more settings available on the phone when I put it in.

Not that this makes any difference but the PRIV is also specifically mentioned on their site as being available for wifi calling. Again, won't make any difference for this phone, but definitely a step closer than with Cricket. Anyways, I should know by about mid-month if it works.

Let me know if you find out anything about t-mobile and wifi calling on the Key2, I would definitely be curious.
    02-05-19 08:32 PM

Just fyi, I was able to get wifi calling working with Ultra Mobile. So I would suspect that you can get it to work with T-Mobile.
    02-11-19 11:08 AM