02-23-20 06:38 AM
193 ... 678
tools
    Would you rather the whole world operate like they do in China?
    how do companies outside of China operate differently? Isn't 'Profit' the 'god' that all companies worship and very few care how they get it?
    Critical Observer likes this.
    02-13-20 11:31 PM
    how do companies outside of China operate differently? Isn't 'Profit' the 'god' that all companies worship and very few care how they get it?
    Chinese companies break rules and get away with it.
    02-14-20 04:22 AM
    Thank you for your reply.
    I can't find any link where the UniHertz Titan can be bought.
    It's here https://www.unihertz.com/shop/produc...n-pre-order-39
    BlackBlurry likes this.
    02-14-20 06:06 AM
    thank you.

I've never pre-ordered anything before, are there any risks?
    02-14-20 08:00 AM
    thank you.

I've never pre-ordered anything before, are there any risks?
    Tons of risks.

1) They could decide that they can't fulfill your order due to too much demand (or too little), and offer a credit back possibly only partial. (This is really the best case scenario).
    2) They could go bankrupt and you'll never see your money ever again (or any device for that matter).
    3) They could be pulling your leg and not ship you anything, but keep delaying saying that there was a mix-up, but really they just took your money and ran.
    4) Somebody could sue them and the devices are permanently never produced again and the company goes bankrupt. Money again gone.
    5) It could get delayed so much that by the time you receive the item it's over 2 years later. (Although again this is a relatively positive outcome).
    6) Coronavirus could completely shut them down and they never are able to resume their business. Money gone.
    7) Any kind of combination of delay, partial credit, no credit, no device, lost money that you can think of could possibly happen.

You have to weigh your own thoughts/opinions of risk and reward to see if it is a viable option for you. Here's the basics:

Unihertz is a Chinese company. Do you trust them to do what they say? A great way to know is to look at their history.

They have produced 2 phones so far - the Jelly Pro and the Atom. Both were Kickstarter campaigns. Both were eventually delivered to backers (I did not look to see if there were delays, but from what I can tell everyone received what they ordered).

That's promising to me personally. But I'm also willing to accept delays. If you look at their message board on FB or even their website there are tons of people getting angry at them because they have not received a tracking number yet. These people more than likely just need to chillax. It's a very small company that appears to not even make their own products (it seems whomever makes the Blackview phones are producing the phones for Unihertz). You will not be able to demand to be heard with them. But, then again, if you look Unihertz is actually replying to a lot of people and are paying close attention to feedback (i.e. the software update for the Titan came pretty fast).

So, it all boils down to this. Is $320 something that you can live without if you never end up receiving your product and never able to see that $320 again. That's the risk and yes that could really happen. History of the company can help provide some level of comfort that it won't happen, but you truly will never be able to say with 100% certainty that it won't. For me personally, based on all evidence that I have seen of the company and how they operate I'm giving it a 20% chance of me never receiving my device and losing my money. That's something I'm willing to live with. That number was a lot higher though when it was still a Kickstarter campaign, but they have delivered on that so far.

Sorry for the book lol, hope it helps.
    Last edited by Summer_Moon; 02-14-20 at 08:24 AM. Reason: typo
    BlackBlurry and Rallyfia like this.
    02-14-20 08:24 AM
    Tons of risks.

1) They could decide that they can't fulfill your order due to too much demand (or too little), and offer a credit back possibly only partial. (This is really the best case scenario).
    2) They could go bankrupt and you'll never see your money ever again (or any device for that matter).
    3) They could be pulling your leg and not ship you anything, but keep delaying saying that there was a mix-up, but really they just took your money and ran.
    4) Somebody could sue them and the devices are permanently never produced again and the company goes bankrupt. Money again gone.
    5) It could get delayed so much that by the time you receive the item it's over 2 years later. (Although again this is a relatively positive outcome).
    6) Coronavirus could completely shut them down and they never are able to resume their business. Money gone.
    7) Any kind of combination of delay, partial credit, no credit, no device, lost money that you can think of could possibly happen.

You have to weigh your own thoughts/opinions of risk and reward to see if it is a viable option for you. Here's the basics:

Unihertz is a Chinese company. Do you trust them to do what they say? A great way to know is to look at their history.

They have produced 2 phones so far - the Jelly Pro and the Atom. Both were Kickstarter campaigns. Both were eventually delivered to backers (I did not look to see if there were delays, but from what I can tell everyone received what they ordered).

That's promising to me personally. But I'm also willing to accept delays. If you look at their message board on FB or even their website there are tons of people getting angry at them because they have not received a tracking number yet. These people more than likely just need to chillax. It's a very small company that appears to not even make their own products (it seems whomever makes the Blackview phones are producing the phones for Unihertz). You will not be able to demand to be heard with them. But, then again, if you look Unihertz is actually replying to a lot of people and are paying close attention to feedback (i.e. the software update for the Titan came pretty fast).

So, it all boils down to this. Is $320 something that you can live without if you never end up receiving your product and never able to see that $320 again. That's the risk and yes that could really happen. History of the company can help provide some level of comfort that it won't happen, but you truly will never be able to say with 100% certainty that it won't. For me personally, based on all evidence that I have seen of the company and how they operate I'm giving it a 20% chance of me never receiving my device and losing my money. That's something I'm willing to live with. That number was a lot higher though when it was still a Kickstarter campaign, but they have delivered on that so far.

Sorry for the book lol, hope it helps.
    Wow, I never really bothered to think about all those potential risks...

The Titan is their third device though, and they recently announced the Atom XL, which doesn't seem like they're going bankrupt but I get what you're saying.
    Summer_Moon and BlackBlurry like this.
    02-14-20 10:18 AM

The Titan is their third device though, and they recently announced the Atom XL, which doesn't seem like they're going bankrupt but I get what you're saying.
    Right, which is why I felt very comfortable ordering the pre-order based on their history and also in light of the recent announcement of their 4th device.
    02-14-20 10:29 AM

I advise you to read the fine print on any Kickstarter project you fund. Here's what the Unihertz team is promising with the Titan:

Risks and challenges
    With our years of experience in the cellphone manufacturing industry, we are very confident with our process and production schedule for Unihertz Titan. It isn’t our first time around the block and we have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

However, we also know that hidden obstacles and challenges often occur. Because of that, we’ve made sure to account for some amount of craziness or unforeseen problems that may occur in our schedule. If something does go wrong, we promise to keep our backers updated and informed about any issues and about the way in which we are solving them.
    And this is the language from Kickstarter about ALL projects: What is a creator obligated to do once their project is funded?

Here's an important quote:
    ...backers must understand that Kickstarter is not a store....you’re helping create something new — not pre-ordering something....Kickstarter does not offer refunds...we encourage backers to investigate the project...vet the creator thoroughly, and...assess the inherent risk of the project for themselves before making a pledge....There’s always a chance something could happen that prevents the creator from being able to finish the project as promised.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-14-20 11:01 AM
    I advise you to read the fine print on any Kickstarter project you fund. Here's what the Unihertz team is promising with the Titan:

And this is the language from Kickstarter about ALL projects: What is a creator obligated to do once their project is funded?

Great information here bb10adopter111! Thanks for posting this. The fact they put in that statement for Risks and Challenges gives me even more reason to drop my number to 15% chance of no money and no device now.
    02-14-20 11:13 AM
    Great information here bb10adopter111! Thanks for posting this. The fact they put in that statement for Risks and Challenges gives me even more reason to drop my number to 15% chance of no money and no device now.
    And what was your percentage number of "no money and no device" before reading their statement?
    02-14-20 03:24 PM
    And what was your percentage number of "no money and no device" before reading their statement?
    Few posts above lol, 20%
    02-14-20 03:27 PM
    Wow thanks for that comprehensive reply, and so much that I would never have considered.

$320 is a lot of money here in Central Europe, almost a months' salary for some people, so I couldn't possibly risk it.

I guess I'll keep looking for a 2nd hand Key2 or another Passport as I don't expect the Unihertz to end up on Ebay etc.
    02-14-20 05:46 PM
    Wow thanks for that comprehensive reply, and so much that I would never have considered.

$320 is a lot of money here in Central Europe, almost a months' salary for some people, so I couldn't possibly risk it.

I guess I'll keep looking for a 2nd hand Key2 or another Passport as I don't expect the Unihertz to end up on Ebay etc.
    You're welcome! Of course do whatever you think is best for you

There are Titan's available on eBay right now. But since there's not that many of them the price is pretty high right now. It's possible that later on they will be listed on eBay for less than what they are currently.

Key2 is a great option if you want pkb, and I just sold my Passport on eBay last week. My Key2 will probably end up on eBay within the next month or 2 as well.
    BlackBlurry likes this.
    02-14-20 05:53 PM
    You're welcome! Of course do whatever you think is best for you

There are Titan's available on eBay right now. But since there's not that many of them the price is pretty high right now. It's possible that later on they will be listed on eBay for less than what they are currently.

Key2 is a great option if you want pkb, and I just sold my Passport on eBay last week. My Key2 will probably end up on eBay within the next month or 2 as well.
    I must be rubbish at searching ebay as I have never seen one, or maybe they are not visible here.
    Yes I need a physical keyboard, my motor skills or lack of do not work with touchscreens.

I had a Key1 for a month & it didn't agree with me, I hear the Key2 has a better keyboard.

I love the Passport, apart from my current one electrocuting me :-) , so I think another one is the way to go, hopefully they'll be supported and still work for a while yet.
    02-14-20 06:09 PM

Thanks for the useful information.
    02-14-20 10:24 PM
    I'm sitting here with my Key2 to my left and my Titan to my right. Both are stars in their own right and are certainly niche products. I understand what others are saying about the Kickstarter business model and the risks that you take. Indeed I have been bitten on Indigogo myself. However I have also had good experiences as well. I once bought a Sonim phone on Indigogo. As to the Titan I have nothing but positive things to say about Unihertz. They kept me informed about progress and delivered my Titan when they said they would. As to the Titan itself, I like it and I like it more the more I use it. It is solid and chunky but I feel that it could be run over by a truck and laugh it off. Would I consider using it as a daily driver? You bet.
    In short Unihertz is one of the better vendors on the web and the Titan is a worthy successor to the BBs that we knew and loved.
    Summer_Moon, the_boon and Rallyfia like this.
    02-20-20 03:25 AM
    I'm sitting here with my Key2 to my left and my Titan to my right. Both are stars in their own right and are certainly niche products. I understand what others are saying about the Kickstarter business model and the risks that you take. Indeed I have been bitten on Indigogo myself. However I have also had good experiences as well. I once bought a Sonim phone on Indigogo. As to the Titan I have nothing but positive things to say about Unihertz. They kept me informed about progress and delivered my Titan when they said they would. As to the Titan itself, I like it and I like it more the more I use it. It is solid and chunky but I feel that it could be run over by a truck and laugh it off. Would I consider using it as a daily driver? You bet.
    In short Unihertz is one of the better vendors on the web and the Titan is a worthy successor to the BBs that we knew and loved.
    Glad you found a "fix" for you BlackBerry addiction....

I do hope the Unihertz will offer more devices with the PKB.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-20-20 08:54 AM
    Since BB shot down BB10, Blackberry is crap. Never thought I'd say that, but I do.
    Had a Bold 9900 and what a phone! Moved on to a silver PP and absolutly loved it!! Best phone ever. To much fuss and instability with sideloads, I Moved on to a KeyOne. Crappy phone all over. No likie, at all. Last year I have had a Huawei as Daily driver. It's ok, but I still miss my PP!! As Titan showed up, I was like *yeeeey*!! Square screen, physical keyboard and mid range! Waiting for it and ETA 27/2. I know it's not gonna be a BB PP, but with whats on the market, I'm so looking forward to get it!!

I really loved my PP, but sadly BB is no more. Moving on!
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-23-20 06:38 AM
193 ... 678