With TCL announcing the end of its licence to build and sell BlackBerry phones ,where do BlackBerry go from here in the mobile phone market ?
    02-03-20 03:59 PM
    With TCL announcing the end of its licence to build and sell BlackBerry phones ,where do BlackBerry go from here in the mobile phone market ?
    Same place as last week or last month - not likely anywhere. They made it clear years ago that they were done with handsets.
    02-03-20 04:07 PM
    Same place as last week or last month - not likely anywhere. They made it clear years ago that they were done with handsets.
    Know what else they're done with?

Pursuing those who copy their old handsets
    02-03-20 04:21 PM
    Know what else they're done with?

Pursuing those who copy their old handsets
    I take it you are talking about unihertz titans copy of the BlackBerry passport,I'm quite surprised at that too
    the_boon likes this.
    02-03-20 05:11 PM
    Unihertz Titan, here I come!
    02-03-20 05:11 PM
    I take it you are talking about unihertz titans copy of the BlackBerry passport,I'm quite surprised at that too
    Yes, he is.
    02-03-20 05:18 PM
    Unihertz got a letter which forced them to make changes during pre-production.

BlackBerry likely still has a case, but the public's general disinterest in the Titan will probably make it go away.
    02-03-20 06:07 PM

BlackBerry likely still has a case, but the public's general disinterest in the Titan will probably make it go away.
    With BBMo being over, the Titan isn't really gonna be "stealing" sales from neither TCL or BBL.

So they should just close the damn case and focus on the software stuff if they really consider themselves to be "done with hardware"

You (BBL) don't say you're "done with hardware" and then go after small players that are trying to give people something you (BBL) aren't gonna provide them
    chain13 and Luniz like this.
    02-03-20 06:23 PM
    With BBMo being over, the Titan isn't really gonna be "stealing" sales from neither TCL or BBL.

So they should just close the damn case and focus on the software stuff if they really consider themselves to be "done with hardware"

You (BBL) don't say you're "done with hardware" and then go after small players that are trying to give people something you (BBL) aren't gonna provide them
    It's not a matter of stealing sales - it's a matter of protecting intellectual property.

Someone, someday may consider paying for it.
    02-03-20 06:23 PM
    Someone, someday may consider paying for it.
    Isn't this precisely the opposite of what you're saying is never gonna happen?

Besides, none of this matters.

If UniHertz was smart enough, they could grab a KEY device (or any other BB) and copy the internals of the keyboard like the main rubber mat and springs, and just keep the external keys looking different and BlackBerry ltd would never really know.
    And if they did, I don't see how they could prove that UniHertz "stole" IP
    02-03-20 06:28 PM
    Isn't this precisely the opposite of what you're saying is never gonna happen?

Besides, none of this matters.

If UniHertz was smart enough, they could grab a KEY device (or any other BB) and copy the internals of the keyboard like the main rubber mat and springs, and just keep the external keys looking different and BlackBerry ltd would never really know.
    And if they did, I don't see how they could prove that UniHertz "stole" IP
    My goodness. It's not as easy as that.

Patents are very thorough and specific. It's very difficult to trick people, or make small changes to get around IP. Courts deal with that all of the time.

Entire programs can get undermined by patent-holders for only a few lines of similar code. Likewise, a single "doo-dad" can make an entire assembly vulnerable.
    Last edited by conite; 02-04-20 at 01:02 PM.
    Laura Knotek and BigAl_BB9900 like this.
    02-03-20 06:30 PM
    My goodness. It's not as easy as that.

Patents are very thorough and specific. It's very difficult to trick people, or make small changes to get around IP. Courts deal with that all of the time.

Entire programs can get undermined by patent-holders for only a few lines of similar code. Likewise, a single "do-dad" can make an entire assembly vulnerable.
    Do courts deal with PKB IP's a lot?

I wonder when's the last time they had a case of someone going after someone for keyboard related matters.

"Hey, BlackBerry, it's been a while! Who's making keyboard cases now?"
    BlackBlurry likes this.
    02-03-20 06:36 PM
    Do courts deal with PKB IP's a lot?

I wonder when's the last time they had a case of someone going after someone for keyboard related matters.

"Hey, BlackBerry, it's been a while! Who's making keyboard cases now?"
    What does it matter?
    02-03-20 06:40 PM
    I guess it'll probably be Nokia or Motorola for me at some point. But damn, I'll miss BlackBerry!
    BlackBlurry likes this.
    02-03-20 07:18 PM
    If they don't have anyone lined up to take on manufacturing by August, when the TCL license officially ends - its a safe bet to say that they will lay off or repurpose any staff still in mobility and that's that.
    02-03-20 08:01 PM
    No where. Blackberry hardware patents are not hotcakes for oems. Don't ever consider that any oems will gladly paying pkb patents or anything. The fartest thing they could do in mobile market (android) is making antivirus (cylance) or app-suite subscription. Hardware is over.
    02-03-20 08:12 PM
    No where. Blackberry hardware patents are not hotcakes for oems. Don't ever consider that any oems will gladly paying pkb patents or anything. The fartest thing they could do in mobile market (android) is making antivirus (cylance) or app-suite subscription. Hardware is over.
    Lol maybe BBL should put their PKB patents for sale on eBay and see how high the auction goes for
    Laura Knotek and BlackBlurry like this.
    02-03-20 08:16 PM
    If they don't have anyone lined up to take on manufacturing by August, when the TCL license officially ends - its a safe bet to say that they will lay off or repurpose any staff still in mobility and that's that.
    According to the rumors, BlackBerry was trying to find any taker since a year, but there isn't so far.
    By August, nothing will be changed
    02-03-20 08:17 PM
    According to the rumors, BlackBerry was trying to find any taker since a year, but there isn't so far.
    By August, nothing will be changed
    BlackBerry Ltd was trying to find new licensing partners since early 2019?

Never heard of this before.

Either way, there's a better chance of having a random PKB device than one with the BlackBerry name on it.

I just can't imagine which OEM would look at what happened with TCL's BBMo, and still sign a deal with BlackBerry.
    02-03-20 08:59 PM

Either way, there's a better chance of having a random PKB device than one with the BlackBerry name on it.

I just can't imagine which OEM would look at what happened with TCL's BBMo, and still sign a deal with BlackBerry.
    It would definitely be a different deal under different terns. BlackBerry could also start making a very limited edition for their remaining users and enterprises. Hopefully!
    02-03-20 09:04 PM

It had little to do with BlackBerry. It had to do with the vaporization of the physical keyboard market.

A launch price of $399/449 for the LE took the "tax" out of the equation. If there isn't a market for a decent device with a great keyboard at that price, then there is no market period.
    Bbnivende and Laura Knotek like this.
    02-03-20 09:15 PM
    Protecting IP and such is necessary for reputation and precedent setting. Arbitrators, mediators and judges all look for behavioral patterns from all parties involved within disputes.

The company has the fiduciary obligation to squeeze every last penny from IP when profitable to do so. Fairfax, Prem and Chen know all to well, their responsibilities and seem to have end game in mind.

I went back to look at Berkshire and Warren in regards with technology holdings. Over 20% in AAPL within the overall portfolio. I’m not calling BlackBerry the next Apple by any stretch. It appears that institutions believe that software and services in the mobile sector are still a very good focus.

Fairfax and Prem still appear to be involved pushing BlackBerry strategies with Chen for now. PKBs and old businesses seem to have finally run their course.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-03-20 09:21 PM
    BB10! Be fore warned! For Real Enthusiasts only! Long live BlackBerry!
    02-03-20 09:57 PM
    BB10! Be fore warned! For Real Enthusiasts only! Long live BlackBerry!
    Real enthusiasts use 9900 running BBOS 7.1 with BIS pushing that email and only native apps from long ago
    howarmat and co4nd like this.
    02-03-20 10:00 PM

Ain't out yet... KS was funded pretty quick...
    RegN likes this.
    02-03-20 10:14 PM
236 123 ...