Has this actually happened with anyone yet? Or are we waiting for other technologies to catch up. The catch phrase 'digital wallet' sounded good but I still need my drivers licence, nexus card, care card, and credit and debit cards.

The smartphone has replaced cameras, but has kind of stalled in its development. New sales are down and lots of the threads here seem to be predicting the demise of the BlackBerry brand with the K2.

So what new feature could attract you to buy a new phone? I still carry my phone and a wallet everyday. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. But I also don't see smartphone technology changing significantly to induce me to buy something else. And I'm starting to doubt there will be a BlackBerry something else.
    06-16-19 07:21 AM
    For payment, yes (Google/Samsung/Apple Pay), for ID, not so much. In my use case, though, I still use the physical cards but manage them through the app.
    06-16-19 08:46 AM
    It's happening in me. Most payments I do with my phone including credit card. But my ID card, driving license, insurance card etc (most) haven't integrated yet into android/phone.
    06-16-19 08:56 AM
    The smartphone is replacing the wallet but not as described. I grew up in a leather business that my family still has and still runs two small leather shops. We've sold thousands upon thousands of leather wallets. The smartphone changed the kind of wallet people carry and what's inside the wallet. Fifty years ago, people carried small leather folding wallet to carry important papers and cash. With cards being eliminated, we've slowly begin the reversal trend of larger wallets and multiple cards to old style slim wallets. I actually carry either of my phones is a stilgut leather wallet case...
    chain13 likes this.
    06-16-19 09:26 AM
    China is way advanced when it comes to mobile payments.
    https://www.emarketer.com/content/th...s-series-china
    06-16-19 03:23 PM
    China is way advanced when it comes to mobile payments.
    https://www.emarketer.com/content/th...s-series-china
    Then the rest of us should probably avoid it.
    06-16-19 04:23 PM
    There's hardly any support for Google Pay and Apple Pay where I live, but banks support mobile payments in stores through their own apps. But I don't like the way they implemented that so I'll keep using cards, ain't nothing wrong with good ol' cards. I need to carry my wallet anyway because of my ID card and health insurance card.
    06-16-19 04:40 PM
    I use cash for almost everything live. When I need to make an online purchase I use an anonymous payment card through privacy.com with an alias name. I don't even like the idea that my bank knows my shopping habits, let alone Google, MSFT, FB, Amazon, Apple, etc.

It's also super easy to stick to a budget with cash. When I run out of money, I can't spend any more!
    06-16-19 05:23 PM
    Samsung Pay probably has the widest support and is the best at the moment as it supports most POP machines in the same way a card with a chip does.

Apple Py is has been a problem for many banks to implement outside the USA.

However with ID, drivers license etc.... cards, most the world is far away from a wallet free society.
    06-16-19 05:35 PM
    I use cash for almost everything live. When I need to make an online purchase I use an anonymous payment card through privacy.com with an alias name. I don't even like the idea that my bank knows my shopping habits, let alone Google, MSFT, FB, Amazon, Apple, etc.

It's also super easy to stick to a budget with cash. When I run out of money, I can't spend any more!
    I unfortunately still have to carry a little cash around for certain places (like the coffee shop at work) that don’t take cash, but wish I didn’t have to. Its a hassle and just something else you have to carry around.
    06-16-19 06:59 PM
    I unfortunately still have to carry a little cash around for certain places (like the coffee shop at work) that don’t take cash, but wish I didn’t have to. Its a hassle and just something else you have to carry around.
    Interesting. I find cash much more convenient to carry than my phone. It's lighter, never needs a charge, isn't hard to read in direct sunlight, won't break if I drop it, and can be used almost anywhere

It also doesn't require the businesses I support to kick back money to some bank or tech company.
    chain13 likes this.
    06-17-19 01:31 AM
    Cash is king. I love technology but will not share credit card details with apple, Google etc.

Cashless transactions that require personal information to complete, provide absolute data trails that can and are used by governments for a multitude of reasons.
    Last edited by Gene Fells; 06-17-19 at 04:26 AM.
    06-17-19 03:59 AM
    Not even close.
    06-17-19 06:59 AM
    Interesting. I find cash much more convenient to carry than my phone. It's lighter, never needs a charge, isn't hard to read in direct sunlight, won't break if I drop it, and can be used almost anywhere

It also doesn't require the businesses I support to kick back money to some bank or tech company.
    Those are all good points.
    I like the fact I get a running total of where I spent my money and how much. A digital record.
    Both have their good and bad.
    06-17-19 07:49 AM
    Do any of you guys trust Google Pay?
    chain13 likes this.
    06-17-19 08:00 AM
    Both have their good and bad.
    But you know how paranoid most people here in terms of privacy and security? Online payment methods are mostly considered as bad. I have no idea where did “using payment on android” means share your payment data with google, or even goverment, came from..
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-17-19 12:02 PM

My bank card is readable in direct sunlight, never needs a charge, won't break if I drop it and can be used almost everywhere. I find cash very inconvenient (and I am on a budget btw, but I'm very strict so I don't spend any more than I have with my bank card - no cash needed if you're very strict).
    TgeekB likes this.
    06-17-19 12:08 PM
    Has this actually happened with anyone yet? Or are we waiting for other technologies to catch up. The catch phrase 'digital wallet' sounded good but I still need my drivers licence, nexus card, care card, and credit and debit cards.

The smartphone has replaced cameras, but has kind of stalled in its development. New sales are down and lots of the threads here seem to be predicting the demise of the BlackBerry brand with the K2.

So what new feature could attract you to buy a new phone? I still carry my phone and a wallet everyday. And I don't see that changing anytime soon. But I also don't see smartphone technology changing significantly to induce me to buy something else. And I'm starting to doubt there will be a BlackBerry something else.
    Nope.
    06-17-19 12:35 PM
    I trust Google pay to be secure enough that, assuming you have strong credentials and multi-factor authentication turned on, it's more secure than a credit card.

I also trust Google to track everything I buy, where I buy it, when I buy it, and what I'm doing on my phone before and afterwards, and to use that information to build its business, making me the product and not the customer!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    Gene Fells likes this.
    06-17-19 01:07 PM
    My bank card is readable in direct sunlight, never needs a charge, won't break if I drop it and can be used almost everywhere. I find cash very inconvenient (and I am on a budget btw, but I'm very strict so I don't spend any more than I have with my bank card - no cash needed if you're very strict).
    Absolutely, bank cards are a mature technology and work extremely well. I use them too for purchases where I perceive risk, (such as buying items online or major purchases) and I appreciate that some offer great additional benefits, such as travel points and cash back.

I prefer cash whenever possible. As one of my financial advisors once told me, "If you want to save money, make it more convenient to deposit money than it is to withdraw it."

chain13 likes this.
    06-17-19 01:12 PM
    However with ID, drivers license etc.... cards, most the world is far away from a wallet free society.
    Germany looking to change that and they're certainly not the only ones. - https://translate.google.com/transla...it_IPhone.html
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    06-17-19 01:32 PM
    06-17-19 01:46 PM
    Yes.
    06-17-19 02:45 PM
    I trust Google pay to be secure enough that, assuming you have strong credentials and multi-factor authentication turned on, it's more secure than a credit card.

I also trust Google to track everything I buy, where I buy it, when I buy it, and what I'm doing on my phone before and afterwards, and to use that information to build its business, making me the product and not the customer!

I trust Google Pay at this point and agree with everything stated here.

I now carry my car insurance card digitally. New Mexico is the only US state that does not permit digital insurance card.

With regards to ID, just like anything else at the Department of Motor Vehicles, progress is slow. But there is cause for some hope. Louisiana has approved digital DL and 14 other states have either started or are investigating pilot programs. These work for traffic stops and buying age-restricted products, but not at the airport. (See LA Wallet on Google Play store)

Keep in mind that many states are only now launching plastic ID's that conform to RealID standards.

In US, I predict we'll move forward when more states run pilot programs and the use cases expand to include federal purposes. When RealID act is amended to include digital id, we'll see rapid adoption.
    06-17-19 03:32 PM
    I always carry my wallet as a just in case scenario. Typically I get around fine with Apple Pay, NFC payments have been a thing in Canada for quite some time. Government Issued IDs still technically supposed to be on a physical card. There have been instances where my parents forgot one of my siblings health cards and the physicians office was okay with just the photograph of the card being shown to them (not the same thing but still). It's not universal because we haven't moved to digital IDs yet.
    06-17-19 04:52 PM
29 12