I have a Key One, very happy with the phone; still struggling with androids deficiencies. Two of the things I really like about the Key One are: The Smart Cover and the on/off when i open and close the case.

Can a Key2 owner verify the existence or lack of these features in the new Key2.

The smart cover is when you have a case that has a window cut out of it. When you close the case (slide the phone into the sleeve) the screen goes to a clock and notification icons that fit the small window. You can also activate the window by pushing the power button while the case is closed and new messages will turn on the window. In all cases you can review your messages while the case is closed.

The smart cover feature has only one option in the settings under display "Smart Cover on/off"

The on/off when case is opened or closed just works on KeyOne, no control that I can find.

Looking at the accessories for the Key2 it looks like they've removed these capabilities all together.

If anyone can verify that these features still exist please let me know as I will not consider the Key2 without them
    07-30-18 07:20 AM
    I have a Key One, very happy with the phone; still struggling with androids deficiencies. Two of the things I really like about the Key One are: The Smart Cover and the on/off when i open and close the case.

Can a Key2 owner verify the existence or lack of these features in the new Key2.

The smart cover is when you have a case that has a window cut out of it. When you close the case (slide the phone into the sleeve) the screen goes to a clock and notification icons that fit the small window. You can also activate the window by pushing the power button while the case is closed and new messages will turn on the window. In all cases you can review your messages while the case is closed.

The smart cover feature has only one option in the settings under display "Smart Cover on/off"

The on/off when case is opened or closed just works on KeyOne, no control that I can find.

Looking at the accessories for the Key2 it looks like they've removed these capabilities all together.

If anyone can verify that these features still exist please let me know as I will not consider the Key2 without them
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Passing a magnet over the correct area of my Key² activates both standby mode and lock screen view. It would require a new design of the pocket/sleeve/cover though since the power button has been moved to the left side below the volume controls and the magnet placement may have also moved. I don't have access to a Keyone so I can't test this but others here may be able to.

You could try taking our smart cover to a carrier/retailer who has a Key² in stock/demo and test to see if it works for the Key². I see that BlackBerry Mobile does not "yet" list an available smart cover/sleeve available for the Key² as they did for the Keyone. Maybe your existing smart cover will work with the Key² but missing access to the power button and a looser fit since the Key² is also thinner.

Richard

Sent from my BlackBerry Key² (BBF100-2) | Android 8.1.0
    07-30-18 01:55 PM
    Thank you Richard. That's a good idea, I'll try at my first opportunity. Does your Key2 have the smart cover option in display setting?
    07-30-18 03:37 PM
    Thank you Richard. That's a good idea, I'll try at my first opportunity. Does your Key2 have the smart cover option in display setting?
    No, I don't see it there. But being as the Key² is also running Android Oreo it may be something they need to add or do differently for that function.

I have to say this is very iffy though because I have seen conflicting reports of whether the magnetic standby/sleep functionality was available or not. It was only after I experimented with my Key² and a couple of old BlackBerry holsters and an iPad smart cover that I discovered it. I then used smaller magnets to locate the specific activation area which is along the lower back left around the keyboard and left navigation soft button.

Rrichard

Sent from my BlackBerry Key² (BBF100-2) | Android 8.1.0
    07-30-18 04:54 PM
    My Key One was updated to Oreo and while they have removed the Smart Window option in the control panel, the feature still works. When you close the case with a window in it, the screen minimizes to just the clock and notifications and fades after a few seconds. This window also comes on when you press the power key with the case close.

I have also had a chance to set up a Key 2 and I tried my case on it and there was no response, i.e. the phone did not go dark or minimize to the small window. It appears that this feature has been eliminated from the Key 2. It's a shame as it will certainly postpone replacing my Key 0ne.

Cheers

John
    08-31-18 06:43 AM
    It works with the Key2 flip case
    FF22 likes this.
    08-31-18 09:04 AM