Well, Android is 87% of the market, and iOS is 13%. So, the likelihood is that people wouldn't switch anyway.

BlackBerry, even back to BB10, has always been intrinsically more connected to Android. BlackBerry users aren't the "just give me one button to make it all work" crowd - they tend to be power users that want some customisation in their UI.
    The markets in which BB10 devices sold in any kind of volume have a higher market percentage than 13 percent. Still I agree that BlackBerry folks are contrarian by nature.

Personally, I like locked down phones and that iOS is more than a launcher.
    08-02-19 11:08 PM
    I believe the “like to have” isn’t really possible to chase since price isn’t really ever going to be competitive. Nostalgia isn’t cheap when it’s not going mainstream...
    Surely TCL/BBMo wasn't that naive thinking "nostalgia" alone would be enough to pull them through, or were they?

And its not so much about the price any more as it is about the brands uncertainty. Since TCL/BBMo took control time has painted a not so rosy picture imo... delays, questionable support, device availability, and so on - losing ground rather than gaining is never a good recipe for success.
    08-02-19 11:12 PM
    Personally, I like locked down phones and that iOS is more than a launcher.
    There is "locked down" and there is "you can't do it because Jobbs says you shouldn't locked down".
    Elky64, Mecca EL and Jake2826 like this.
    08-02-19 11:16 PM
    Several users have switched from Android (BlackBerry branded Android devices) to iOS. It's not all THAT different to be honest.

Plus considering that the iPad is the only commercially successful tablet, many members have also used iOS on various iPad models. So I reckon the adjustment process wouldn't be even as hard as I would think.
    I'm comfortable using iOS yet since we have a choice Android is preferred... Six iPads in the house is telling though LOL.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    08-02-19 11:16 PM
    Well, Android is 87% of the market, and iOS is 13%. So, the likelihood is that people wouldn't switch anyway.

BlackBerry, even back to BB10, has always been intrinsically more connected to Android. BlackBerry users aren't the "just give me one button to make it all work" crowd - they tend to be power users that want some customisation in their UI.
    And that is why I prefer Droid, I'm more in control LOL.
    08-02-19 11:18 PM
    And that is why I prefer Droid, I'm more in control LOL.
    During my professional career I have been fortunate enough to be furnished the Razor, BlackBerry, Samsung and then iOS. Frankly I must be missing something as my first choice is BlackBerry (all OS) then iOS. I have never understood the disdain for iOS, it is far and above the smoothest, most buttery interface on the planet. I understand my view and all views carry bias, that's just human nature. But after handling all the flagship OS's available, this has been my experience. Oh, and by the way, my household is also all iOS too!
    Elky64, RK_BB and TgeekB like this.
    08-02-19 11:45 PM

It depends on the market you're looking at. Those numbers seem to be global marketshare (albeit iOS looks lower than it should). It's definitely not a surprise from the global marketshare level. The factor is really cost at the end of the day.

If you look at a country by country comparison, it is a lot more variable with android commanding as much as 90+ percent and as low as around 30 percent. In this markets, it's far more likely for users to switch if given enough incentive.

Android and iOS have gotten fairly comparable feature sets out of the box these days. Given how most of us also use third party apps, these generally also have feature parity across Android and iOS. Each platform has one major downfall though, with iOS, it's the walled garden and lock in. If you have enough Apple services, it makes switching to Android more difficult as some services just don't flat out work on Android. For Google, you've got the issue of fragmentation (although this becomes less of an issue with core services being updated through the Play Store).

With Android P (Beta of Q is also now available) and iOS 12 (Beta of 13 is fairly well known as well), I don't think you could really go wrong either way these days. Both platforms have a lot to offer, and for the vast majority, they accomplish the same tasks, sometimes with slightly different approaches, but nonetheless they both simply just work.

Certainly! Many have and I probably will if there is no K3.
    I just wish we could have a proper Priv 2.
    anon(10387168) and Mecca EL like this.
    08-02-19 11:54 PM
    It depends on the market you're looking at. Those numbers seem to be global marketshare (albeit iOS looks lower than it should). It's definitely not a surprise from the global marketshare level. The factor is really cost at the end of the day.

If you look at a country by country comparison, it is a lot more variable with android commanding as much as 90+ percent and as low as around 30 percent. In this markets, it's far more likely for users to switch if given enough incentive.

Android and iOS have gotten fairly comparable feature sets out of the box these days. Given how most of us also use third party apps, these generally also have feature parity across Android and iOS. Each platform has one major downfall though, with iOS, it's the walled garden and lock in. If you have enough Apple services, it makes switching to Android more difficult as some services just don't flat out work on Android. For Google, you've got the issue of fragmentation (although this becomes less of an issue with core services being updated through the Play Store).

With Android P (Beta of Q is also now available) and iOS 12 (Beta of 13 is fairly well known as well), I don't think you could really go wrong either way these days. Both platforms have a lot to offer, and for the vast majority, they accomplish the same tasks, sometimes with slightly different approaches, but nonetheless they both simply just work.

I just wish we could have a proper Priv 2.
    Or a Passport variant, or a proper "Key 3" that checks most of the boxes discussed here for months on the same platform as the K2. Hope they bring it!
    08-03-19 12:03 AM
    During my professional career I have been fortunate enough to be furnished the Razor, BlackBerry, Samsung and then iOS. Frankly I must be missing something as my first choice is BlackBerry (all OS) then iOS. I have never understood the disdain for iOS, it is far and above the smoothest, most buttery interface on the planet. I understand my view and all views carry bias, that's just human nature. But after handling all the flagship OS's available, this has been my experience. Oh, and by the way, my household is also all iOS too!
    When it comes to my recommendations iOS usually leads. Mainly because I know the majority of people I deal with/encounter don't want something they have to "customize" per se only wanting something that works, iOS is that platform. The company I work for as well as my colleges mainly use iPhone's (my wife too) with me and a select few being the odd ones out LOL. Price is becoming a factor now though and not just with Apple devices, so getting hard recommending anything that crests the 1K mark... here's hoping Apples sees the light making a reasonable device at a more affordable price (like Pixel 3a/XL) yet not holding my breath.
    08-03-19 12:13 AM
    Who would switch from Android to iOS? Yuck.
    Hey.... I don't mind using iOS compared to Android but I have both.
    08-03-19 07:38 AM
    When it comes to my recommendations iOS usually leads. Mainly because I know the majority of people I deal with/encounter don't want something they have to "customize" per se only wanting something that works, iOS is that platform. The company I work for as well as my colleges mainly use iPhone's (my wife too) with me and a select few being the odd ones out LOL. Price is becoming a factor now though and not just with Apple devices, so getting hard recommending anything that crests the 1K mark... here's hoping Apples sees the light making a reasonable device at a more affordable price (like Pixel 3a/XL) yet not holding my breath.
    It's called the XR and it's awesome for the price. The BOGO deals available put the device in $300-400 range depending on storage desired....
    Elky64 and Bbnivende like this.
    08-03-19 07:45 AM
    Hey.... I don't mind using iOS compared to Android but I have both.
    Old guy living in Florida - iOS's primary demographic.
    RK_BB likes this.
    08-03-19 07:54 AM
    It's called the XR and it's awesome for the price. The BOGO deals available put the device in $300-400 range depending on storage desired....
    LOL yeah the deals in the good ol USA always makes me envious. Sadly here in Canada we're not anywhere near quite as fortunate... The 64GB XR starts at just over 1K here and goes up from there, it's above the limit I said we'd never go beyond if it can be helped.
    08-03-19 09:54 AM
    If you like the device, why does it matter if there will be a "next" one?

Use it as it is and enjoy it.
    This is the best advice. I really like my KEYone BE and my Motion. Both work great and are in pristine condition. Can't see needing anything for a while quite honestly. If I hit the lottery I would buy a Key2 Black immediately, but definitely don't need one.

As for the future...I'd be shocked if they didn't eventually come out with a new device in 2020. Their first four have been good handsets.

As far as Optimus Infracom goes...that's another story entirely. Their inability to release the Evolve X...something isn't right there.
    08-03-19 10:02 AM
    LOL yeah the deals in the good ol USA always makes me envious. Sadly here in Canada we're not anywhere near quite as fortunate... The 64GB XR starts at just over 1K here and goes up from there, it's above the limit I said we'd never go beyond if it can be helped.
    I bought mine used. Would never have paid full price.
    Elky64 likes this.
    08-03-19 10:34 AM
    Old guy living in Florida - iOS's primary demographic.
    Says the guy at least a year older than me. You've just aged better.....
    conite likes this.
    08-03-19 10:38 AM
    I agree. Some people just want to hate Apple because, I believe, they think they were somehow responsible for dethroning BlackBerry.
    Remember the “Apple killer” comments? People were pumped thinking BB10 was going to do just that. The only defense now is to never use iOS I guess.
    08-03-19 10:39 AM
    I agree. Some people just want to hate Apple because, I believe, they think they were somehow responsible for dethroning BlackBerry.
    Remember the “Apple killer” comments? People were pumped thinking BB10 was going to do just that. The only defense now is to never use iOS I guess.
    I don't think so. The main issue is the confining (locked down) nature of the platform and ecosystem - the antithesis of both BB10 and particularly Android.
    08-03-19 11:12 AM
    I don't think so. The main issue is the confining (locked down) nature of the platform and ecosystem - the antithesis of both BB10 and particularly Android.
    BlackBerry was built on locked down, wasn’t it? I get Android (also hated and mocked by BlackBerry users until they were forced to like it) because of its built in customization. That could definitely be part of it but Apple was seen as the big, bad monster that had to be defeated which didn’t happen.
    08-03-19 11:19 AM
    BlackBerry was built on locked down, wasn’t it? I get Android (also hated and mocked by BlackBerry users until they were forced to like it) because of its built in customization. That could definitely be part of it but Apple was seen as the big, bad monster that had to be defeated which didn’t happen.
    The OS is locked down, but the ability to play around with builds, run autoloaders / update system files without root, the ability to install apps outside of the provided store, the ability to significantly customise the UX, etc is what power users like. These are the things that made Steve angry.
    Jake2826 likes this.
    08-03-19 11:27 AM
    Totally agree! Apple didn't kill BlackBerry, BlackBerry sadly on the other hand committed suicide (non-assisted), slowly, painfully and in plain sight.
    TgeekB and elfabio80 like this.
    08-03-19 11:28 AM
    Totally agree! Apple didn't kill BlackBerry, BlackBerry sadly on the other hand committed suicide (non-assisted), slowly, painfully and in plain sight.
    We're not talking about why BlackBerry failed, we're talking about which platform is the obvious landing zone for previous BlackBerry users.

Most BlackBerry users hate straight-jackets.
    08-03-19 11:30 AM
    I dont think bb10 was ever locked down. Had security in mind but I had control of files I could put on or take off as I wished. Could try out newer os versions. Could do what I wanted with my pictures without asking daddy apple. That is my take. Never used one or ever will. Would revert to flip phone first.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    08-03-19 11:30 AM
    I have been around Power Users, myself included, and have seldomly heard anyone even reference customization as a priority! Customization fever is very much a Forums induced phenomenon. Plus within Enterprise you were pretty much locked down anyway!
    Last edited by Crusader03; 08-03-19 at 11:45 AM.
    TgeekB likes this.
    08-03-19 11:32 AM
    I have been around Power Users, myself included, and have seldomly heard anyone even reference customization as a priority! Plus within Enterprise you were pretty much locked down anyway!
    Yup. The locked down montra is old and incorrect.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    08-03-19 11:41 AM
136 1234 ...