Upgrade now. Treat your KEY2 as best you can to keep it like new. Grab $450-$500 out of it when the KEY3 drops. We most likely won't see an announcement this year and if we do it will be late in the year with a 2020 release. You will be super happy with the upgrade.
    06-18-19 07:37 AM
    Upgrade now. Treat your KEY2 as best you can to keep it like new. Grab $450-$500 out of it when the KEY3 drops. We most likely won't see an announcement this year and if we do it will be late in the year with a 2020 release. You will be super happy with the upgrade.
    Used KEY2 is $300 - $450 now... No body (expect RED owners) should be expecting to grab $450 - $500 from a used KEY2 next year. Unless there isn't a KEY3..... as that might make a PKB phone a little more rare and thus valuable.
    06-18-19 08:13 AM
    For my personal needs, I got the KEY2 in November after having the KEYone since its launch. It's a big upgrade from the 1. And as far at the KEY3, whether it happens or not, I'm not even thinking about...I'm thinkin about "wut could it have that I could possibly want?" "A single trackpad?" Nope. So given everything the KEY2 has, I'm set for another couple years :-)
    06-18-19 10:45 AM
    For my personal needs, I got the KEY2 in November after having the KEYone since its launch. It's a big upgrade from the 1. And as far at the KEY3, whether it happens or not, I'm not even thinking about...I'm thinkin about "wut could it have that I could possibly want?" "A single trackpad?" Nope. So given everything the KEY2 has, I'm set for another couple years :-)
    It could have:

A better spacebar

An IP rating

An AMOLED display without capacitive navigation buttons

OIS in the camera

Etc etc
    06-18-19 11:07 AM
    It could have:

A better spacebar

An IP rating

OIS in the camera

Etc etc
    All things "I" don't need or want or am not willing to pay for anytime soon. Thanks tho ;-)
    06-18-19 11:13 AM
    It could have:

A better spacebar

An IP rating

OIS in the camera

Etc etc
    Security Patches....

If the KEY3 doesn't show up till next year - launch at MWC, released over the next few months. That will be just before the KEY2 updates end, and after KEYone users have gone a year without patches. That would be a reason to upgrade.
    06-18-19 11:53 AM
    Security Patches....

If the KEY3 doesn't show up till next year - launch at MWC, released over the next few months. That will be just before the KEY2 updates end, and after KEYone users have gone a year without patches. That would be a reason to upgrade.
    If I would take a guess, I'd say most KEYone users by then would probably want to upgrade for something with better performance more than because no more security updates.
    I just feel like the majority of consumers in general could care less about security updates... but then maybe BB users are a different story lol
    06-18-19 12:38 PM
    And the initial flaws in the product or the production will be discovered and repaired by then.
    Exactly.....look at the Galaxy Fold....epic fail
    06-18-19 04:19 PM
    i would just get the Key2. simply because I don't think there will ever be a Key3, and the K2 is simply amazing
    06-18-19 04:50 PM
    is key 3 even gonna appear ?
    06-18-19 05:01 PM
    is key 3 even gonna appear ?
    It's pretty quiet right now...

*wind blowing*
    06-18-19 05:04 PM
    It's pretty quiet right now...

*wind blowing*
    Key 2 is doing fine

I'm just bored

Android pie would be nice for now lol
    the_boon likes this.
    06-18-19 05:05 PM
    Exactly.....look at the Galaxy Fold....epic fail
    Or the Galaxy Note 7, even more of an epic fail.
    06-18-19 05:09 PM
    If you really depend on pkb, key 2 probably is the best pkb phone right now (if you disable capacitive kb and not use the space bar frequently).

But if you dont, you could find more golds somewhere else.
    Last edited by chain13; 06-19-19 at 10:53 AM.
    06-19-19 09:38 AM
    (if you disable capacitive kb and not use the space bar frequently).

But if you dont, you could find more golds somewhere else.
    Might as well buy an LE if he's gonna disable the capacitive function.

As for the spacebar, who the hell doesn't use it frequently? You need it after every word. The whole point of buying a PKB phone is for lots of typing.
    In most cases, I'm sure the spacebar works just fine. If the issue was really widespread, there could have been a TCL announcement for replacement just like with the early Silver KEYone's.
    gloommerchant likes this.
    06-19-19 09:49 AM
    Wait for the Key3 IMO I am not seeing a good future for Blackberry devices at this point.
    06-19-19 09:56 AM
    Might as well buy an LE if he's gonna disable the capacitive function.
    LE is good choice, but the swipe function (flick or swipe typing) is the only one that make a pkb on par with vkb in term of ease-ability. I couldn't imagine in my use case to type every words manually without flicking, tapping the sugestion words on key device takes longer way for the thumb since there are softbuttons between the kb and the bottom of the screen.

As for the spacebar, who the hell doesn't use it frequently? You need it after every word. The whole point of buying a PKB phone is for lots of typing.
    In most cases, I'm sure the spacebar works just fine. If the issue was really widespread, there could have been a TCL announcement for replacement just like with the early Silver KEYone's.
    LOL True. Not sure how many number has issue, but the fingerprint sensor's ribbon cable under the button is tiny and folded, and could easily break even by normal use of space bar.
    06-19-19 11:05 AM
    LE is good choice, but the swipe function (flick or swipe typing) is the only one that make a pkb on par with vkb in term of ease-ability. I couldn't imagine in my use case to type every words manually without flicking, tapping the sugestion words on key device takes longer way for the thumb since there are softbuttons between the kb and the bottom of the screen.
    I can type pretty fast on my LE, barely ever use the suggested words above. Not sure if it's really faster than a VKB but it's more enjoyable and effortless (for me)

LOL True. Not sure how many number has issue, but the fingerprint sensor's ribbon cable under the button is tiny and folded, and could easily break even by normal use of space bar.
    Just looked at @mralgi KEY2 teardown photos and yes, while the ribbon cable for the spacebar is small, it's definitely not gonna just rip itself apart from regular use lol.
    Only way I see to really break it would be to take a blade and cut it lol
    06-19-19 11:11 AM
    Only way I see to really break it would be to take a blade and cut it lol
    No need to cut it off at all, if you press the space bar so many times, it might break the circuits in the folded part of the ribbon (might), that would be enough to deliver your fingerprint unusable. Might, but still a bad design for me.
    06-21-19 03:29 AM
    No need to cut it off at all, if you press the space bar so many times, it might break the circuits in the folded part of the ribbon (might), that would be enough to deliver your fingerprint unusable. Might, but still a bad design for me.
    From what I've seen in the breakdown, the ribbon cable isn't folded right under the spacebar itself, so I don't see how even 1 million presses is going to tear connections which are not right underneath the little pole that hits the metal part which inputs a space when typing.
    I'll look at it again though
    06-21-19 09:18 AM
    I am in same situation right now!! And I decided to buy key2 for now because my key1 is getting slower and also because we still don't know when they will release key3!!

Plus when they release it , it will be expensive!!
    the_boon likes this.
    06-22-19 11:58 PM
    Late to the thread party here....i have a priv and it's getting really slow and battery isn't good. I love the form factor, after many beginning months of tweaks and tuning to avoid battery drain, the aggravation went away and it became my favorite phone ever...now I have to charge all the time just bc of age (it's somewhat of an abusive relationship, lol). I actually love the lack of updates bc they used to brick my phone on occasion. But it's time for a new phone...and I'm disappointed in the Key screen size...do I upgrade or wait? What did you decide? I simply can't type on a touch screen. I'm a pkb addict. I can type over 50wpm on this thing, but I'm also getting to the age where I need reading glasses and a small screen might drive me nuts. I feel like it's practically October and if I just told on for 3 months, maybe a new BlackBerry with a pkb and priv sized screen will show up on the scene...opinions? You should note whenever I go somewhere and whip out my priv, and flip up the screen, everyone comes to look at it and thinks it's the coolest thing ever and wants to know where to get one. I feel like they didn't market this thing right.
    Last edited by blackbirdy; 09-25-19 at 11:52 AM. Reason: adding note
    09-25-19 11:48 AM
    Late to the thread party here....i have a priv and it's getting really slow and battery isn't good. I love the form factor, after many beginning months of tweaks and tuning to avoid battery drain, the aggravation went away and it became my favorite phone ever...now I have to charge all the time just bc of age (it's somewhat of an abusive relationship, lol). I actually love the lack of updates bc they used to brick my phone on occasion. But it's time for a new phone...and I'm disappointed in the Key screen size...do I upgrade or wait? What did you decide? I simply can't type on a touch screen. I'm a pkb addict. I can type over 50wpm on this thing, but I'm also getting to the age where I need reading glasses and a small screen might drive me nuts. I feel like it's practically October and if I just told on for 3 months, maybe a new BlackBerry with a pkb and priv sized screen will show up on the scene...opinions? You should note whenever I go somewhere and whip out my priv, and flip up the screen, everyone comes to look at it and thinks it's the coolest thing ever and wants to know where to get one. I feel like they didn't market this thing right.
    TL;DR - the future of BlackBerry devices is uncertain at best, so if you need a new phone, you best try to get your hands on a KEY2.

There are currently not even the faintest rumors of a new device coming from BBMobile. That doesn't mean there won't be another device. But there are indications that the licensing relationship between BlackBerry Ltd and BBMobile is not going well. Nobody outside either company really knows for sure what's going on - they could be renegotiating the deal, or negotiations may have already ended and the outcome is not yet public knowledge.

For all we know, TCL could already be transitioning away from selling BlackBerry-branded devices and they will never make that fact publicly known - it will just be evident in the lack of any further BlackBerry devices.

Or...they could be cooking up the next BlackBerry device as we speak with a big reveal planned for next year.

The lack of information and transparency is beyond frustrating to me, but that's how companies operate when they are trying to maximize profit.

So if your Priv is not doing what you need, and you absolutely must have a physical keyboard, grab a KEY2. It's a good phone and should tide you over for a couple years. By then we will all know for sure what the future of BBMobile is (or was).
    09-25-19 12:15 PM
    Why not just get a new battery for your PRIV if it meets your needs? I really enjoy using my Black Edition Key One and have zero issues with the screen size (and overall device size-ideal??) I use my BE as my daily carry over my Samsung S9. I dig the PKB, 2 day battery life, very good camera and of course keyboard shortcuts.
    09-25-19 07:10 PM
    Love and use a BlackBerry KEY2 every day, but can't recommend that anyone buy one now, as the company appears to be going out of business.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    09-25-19 07:26 PM
66 123