Battery and keyboard... maybe the screen are really the only wear and tear items.

It is true the RAM and Storage have a "set" amount of usage, eventually they'll wear out.... but that's just not going to happen in most devices lifetimes (unless faulty to begin with).

As Conite said... what really makes older devices sluggish over time, are the updates that come along. The OS gets new features and abilities, as well as patches to plug security holes - you won't have to worry about those affecting you. But app developers are always adding new capabilities and features... was a time when a big app was 25MB. I've got a couple that take up over 1GB now, I'd say the average app is more around 400MB on my phone.

In the end it all depends on your usage....
    Good Lord!! I know you switched to Apple and that OS is frustrating as hell to clear out cache and app data (help clean up my daughter's XR and son's iPad) but an average app size of 400 MB just seems completely out of line and problematic after just reviewing sizes here on my Black Edition KeyOne. And 1GB??!! Which app(s)? I would clear those out on your Apple and even rid the data and reload.
    07-02-20 11:43 AM
    Good Lord!! I know you switched to Apple and that OS is frustrating as hell to clear out cache and app data (help clean up my daughter's XR and son's iPad) but an average app size of 400 MB just seems completely out of line and problematic after just reviewing sizes here on my Black Edition KeyOne. And 1GB??!! Which app(s)? I would clear those out on your Apple and even rid the data and reload.
    iOS isn't Android, you don't need to clear app cache. If you don't want the apps you delete them. iOS just doesn't work the way Android does... so can't apply the same fixes, because it isn't broke that way.

I am talking about apps and their data.... Vudu is taking up almost 18GB, but only 28MB App. But Pages is almost 500 MB, several other that are on up there. Walgreens apps is over 400MB

Really don't know the average.... there are lot's of small apps Calculator is only 705KB. If I really did an average.... it might only be 150MB. Point is apps today are bigger and use more resources than they did two years ago.... in two more years they will be even bigger.
    07-02-20 12:06 PM
    iOS isn't Android, you don't need to clear app cache. If you don't want the apps you delete them. iOS just doesn't work the way Android does... so can't apply the same fixes, because it isn't broke that way.

I am talking about apps and their data.... Vudu is taking up almost 18GB, but only 28MB App. But Pages is almost 500 MB, several other that are on up there. Walgreens apps is over 400MB

Really don't know the average.... there are lot's of small apps Calculator is only 705KB. If I really did an average.... it might only be 150MB. Point is apps today are bigger and use more resources than they did two years ago.... in two more years they will be even bigger.
    I feel that apps simply follow a Moore’s Law type of theorem.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    07-02-20 12:45 PM
    Nothing will wear. It's more that new software will be larger and take more resources.
    okay, so the reason I thought cpu and ram are wear and tear is because, after 2 yrs of using my classic, apps slowed down and took ages to load and blinked too much. I tried restoring to older backup afterr factory reset and the slow performance continued. But after buying and restoring my config to a brand new blackberry Classic, the performance was back to normal again (and I used the same apps, no updates).
    I didn't suspect the battery because onl legacy Bold devices, the battery never affected performance, but only drained quicker over time. And I thought Classic battery was unreplaceable, so I suspected it was the cpu/ram wearing away, was I mistaken?

Also,k what about usb/headphone ports, do the wear away?
    07-02-20 01:50 PM
    Older devices without new software to make them slower tend to feel more sluggish when you use newer devices that are faster. My Classic felt fast enough when I used it, but when I put it next to my KEY2 it really shows its age.
    07-02-20 02:13 PM
    Older devices without new software to make them slower tend to feel more sluggish when you use newer devices that are faster. My Classic felt fast enough when I used it, but when I put it next to my KEY2 it really shows its age.
    Sure, but in this example, I'm saying that my first classic slowed down and buying a second classic improved performance and speed. old classic vs new classic, not classic vs key2. Why do you think that happened?
    07-02-20 03:17 PM
    Sure, but in this example, I'm saying that my first classic slowed down and buying a second classic improved performance and speed. old classic vs new classic, not classic vs key2. Why do you think that happened?
    That's very odd - Were they both factory reset with the latest autoloader?
    07-02-20 03:21 PM
    okay, so the reason I thought cpu and ram are wear and tear is because, after 2 yrs of using my classic, apps slowed down and took ages to load and blinked too much. I tried restoring to older backup afterr factory reset and the slow performance continued. But after buying and restoring my config to a brand new blackberry Classic, the performance was back to normal again (and I used the same apps, no updates).
    I didn't suspect the battery because onl legacy Bold devices, the battery never affected performance, but only drained quicker over time. And I thought Classic battery was unreplaceable, so I suspected it was the cpu/ram wearing away, was I mistaken?

Also,k what about usb/headphone ports, do the wear away?
    I would never do a restore after you install a clean OS. You end up putting back all the bugs that you had before.
    07-02-20 03:24 PM
    Agree Autoloader and then reinstall what you need.... restores just bring back issues.

Was what made using cloud email account so necessary. Could do it all in less time than a wipe.
    07-02-20 03:39 PM
    Agree Autoloader and then reinstall what you need.... restores just bring back issues.

Was what made using cloud email account so necessary. Could do it all in less time than a wipe.
    On Classic#1, it was mostly stock browser, ART Google Maps & OneNote that were sluggish and blinking.
    So I factory restored, then restored everything except app settings/data of the sluggish apps on Classic#1. The slow performance persisted. So I gave up and bought brand new handset. On Classic#2, I restored configuration from backup , and the previously slugish apps were no longer sluggish or blinking all the time, they were much faster and no longer considered a performance problem.

I don't understand yourr cloud email query. The backup were restored via Blackberry Link on PC.
    07-02-20 04:33 PM
    On Classic#1, it was mostly stock browser, ART Google Maps & OneNote that were sluggish and blinking.
    So I factory restored, then restored everything except app settings/data of the sluggish apps on Classic#1. The slow performance persisted. So I gave up and bought brand new handset. On Classic#2, I restored configuration from backup , and the previously slugish apps were no longer sluggish or blinking all the time, they were much faster and no longer considered a performance problem.

I don't understand yourr cloud email query. The backup were restored via Blackberry Link on PC.
    Run the most recent autoloader on Classic#1, don't restore anything, and see how it performs.

https://mega.nz/file/tVgyjDYS#ojnru-...CIkAU1dIybpHK0

You will have to sideload the new BlackBerry World app:

https://mega.nz/file/FFpDETyL#DtHmBj...2unVVOopWKPmKU
    07-02-20 06:53 PM
    Run the most recent autoloader on Classic#1, don't restore anything, and see how it performs.

https://mega.nz/file/tVgyjDYS#ojnru-...CIkAU1dIybpHK0

You will have to sideload the new BlackBerry World app:

https://mega.nz/file/FFpDETyL#DtHmBj...2unVVOopWKPmKU
    Sideload how? Using Sachesi like one would do to install Android apps back in the day?
    07-02-20 07:24 PM
    Sideload how? Using Sachesi like one would do to install Android apps back in the day?
    Yes. Or DBBT.

/blackberry-10-os-f269/darcys-blackberry-tools-956835/
    hmp3 likes this.
    07-02-20 07:25 PM
    Will do thanks!
    Btw, I can't find a key2 battery or black qwerty keyboard and tomorrow is my last working day to return my second key2 handset lol, so if there is no spare black battery/keyboard/usb port left to buy in UK, then I will have to keep the second handset, but if there is a source to buy it then I guess I have to quickly consider returning the second handset for full refund
    07-02-20 07:48 PM
    I launched the Z30 exe from desktop, but a cmd window appeared the and disappeared, so I copied the exe to sd card inside my Blackberry Classic, browsed through pc and launched (right-click run as admin), but the cmd appesred and did nothing, only displayed "RIM Wireless Device Command-Line Auto-Programmer Version 3.11.0.27 (Win32) [Apr
    15 2015 15:51:44]
    Copyright 2012 Research In Motion Limited"
    07-03-20 10:51 AM
    I launched the Z30 exe from desktop, but a cmd window appeared the and disappeared, so I copied the exe to sd card inside my Blackberry Classic, browsed through pc and launched (right-click run as admin), but the cmd appesred and did nothing, only displayed "RIM Wireless Device Command-Line Auto-Programmer Version 3.11.0.27 (Win32) [Apr
    15 2015 15:51:44]
    Copyright 2012 Research In Motion Limited"
    You run it from the PC with your phone connected via USB. You have a connection problem. Try another port, cable, or computer.
    07-03-20 11:09 AM
    Done, but the google maps still freezes and takes forever to unfreeze and respond to lock screen/restart button
    07-03-20 02:05 PM
    Go to for example
    Androidapksfree.com search for Shazam and you can see the versions avaiable and which min Android you need to install and use.

For example in this case latest version is for Android 6 (ART 6) which is on PRIV. So Shazam will work on my 5yr old PRIV!!

With my KEY2 with Android 8.1 re Oreo I feel totally confident next 2 years will be fine. The market share of ART worldwide is interesting for example in India 8.1 Oreo is the second most installed OS!
    So yes to each his own.

See in

gs.statscounter.com/android-version-market-share/mobile-tablet/worldwide

You can select regions and get some interesting facts.
    Absolutely! Key2 owners will be preety much ok for next 5-6 years
    Best phone EVER
    Rico4you and hmp3 like this.
    07-03-20 05:27 PM
    Absolutely! Key2 owners will be preety much ok for next 5-6 years
    Best phone EVER
    Well, maybe two years if you're not worried about security
    07-03-20 05:36 PM
    Done, but the google maps still freezes and takes forever to unfreeze and respond to lock screen/restart button
    Okay after restarting, the apps load faster now. No freezing yet. Thanks!
    07-06-20 06:02 PM
70 123