I would like to know if 4G only can be set on this device?
    02-06-19 03:33 AM
    I would like to know if 4G only can be set on this device?
    Sure, there are multiple ways to do this. But it can depend on your carrier for how easy it is. Who is your carrier?
    02-06-19 07:01 AM
    It’s the international unlocked BBF100-6 version, so it works with any gsm network.
    Carrier to be used with isn’t a US carrier.
    02-06-19 08:18 PM
    It’s the international unlocked BBF100-6 version, so it works with any gsm network.
    Carrier to be used with isn’t a US carrier.
    Well you can check settings->Network & Internet->Cellular Networks and see if there is a toggle in there. Some carriers have one in there, some don't, that's the reason for the question of carrier, doesn't matter if it's US carrier or not.

Probably the easiest way to do this if it's not in settings is open your phone dialer and use dial code *#*#46368676#*#* and then tap on Phone Information. In there will be a drop down that should have a couple networks included such as GSM, UMTS, LTE, etc. Select LTE only which will force the 4G on your phone.

It should be noted that your carrier (and once again does not matter if US or not, it depends entirely on carrier) may or may not have VoLTE enabled for your phone. If it doesn't, then that means it's probably dropping to it's 3G or 2G network for voice and text. So setting it to LTE only will stop all voice calls and texts from working. So you would want to make sure that VoLTE is enabled.

What is the reason for wanting to lock it to 4G only?
    02-07-19 05:53 AM
    Well you can check settings->Network & Internet->Cellular Networks and see if there is a toggle in there. Some carriers have one in there, some don't, that's the reason for the question of carrier, doesn't matter if it's US carrier or not.

Probably the easiest way to do this if it's not in settings is open your phone dialer and use dial code *#*#46368676#*#* and then tap on Phone Information. In there will be a drop down that should have a couple networks included such as GSM, UMTS, LTE, etc. Select LTE only which will force the 4G on your phone.

It should be noted that your carrier (and once again does not matter if US or not, it depends entirely on carrier) may or may not have VoLTE enabled for your phone. If it doesn't, then that means it's probably dropping to it's 3G or 2G network for voice and text. So setting it to LTE only will stop all voice calls and texts from working. So you would want to make sure that VoLTE is enabled.

Well i keep on learning every day....never knew there was a menu like that ;-)
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-07-19 01:20 PM
    Thanks alot for this, really appreciate.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-08-19 02:40 AM
    I just got a refurbished Key2 in the mail. I took it to ATT - they said they wouldn't support it because it was 3G but it was advertised as 4G on Amazon.

So, before returning it, I looked it up online and found your hint - I tried your code and forced it into LTE only (having NO CLUE what that means.) Do you think it will work for me on ATT in the USA? I don't understand VoLTE?
    02-11-21 07:48 PM
    I just got a refurbished Key2 in the mail. I took it to ATT - they said they wouldn't support it because it was 3G but it was advertised as 4G on Amazon.

So, before returning it, I looked it up online and found your hint - I tried your code and forced it into LTE only (having NO CLUE what that means.) Do you think it will work for me on ATT in the USA? I don't understand VoLTE?
    Welcome to CrackBerry!!!! Post early and post often......

Key2 is 4G and VoLTE capable but AT&T may choose to not support because it’s not a device sold and supported by them. What’s the PRD # for your device?
    02-12-21 06:13 PM

I don't believe AT&T supports VoLTE on no AT&T branded phones. VoLTE is for voice. If your phone does not support AT&T VoLTE, AT&T will not activate the phone. You might get T-mobile support, others here can provide better information on T-mobile.
    02-12-21 07:34 PM
    The phone supports LTE (true "4G), but that's strictly for mobile DATA, not phone calls. Phone calls are completed one of two ways: either the phone is supported by the carrier to use VoLTE (Voice over LTE, similar in concept to VoIP), where phone calls are routed over the LTE data network, OR, phone calls come in on GSM (or CDMA) frequencies and standards that are part of 2G/3G.

AT&T, by POLICY, does not provide what they consider "advanced calling features", including VoLTE, for phones not originally sold by AT&T, so if you didn't buy your phone from them, it's not getting VoLTE. The only exception is the iPhone, and that's because Apple had the leverage to negotiate a better deal for iPhones.

Non-AT&T Key-series phones currently rely on 3G GSM to make and receive phone calls, but 3G is going away on all carriers so those frequencies can be reused for 5G - there isn't any more bandwidth available, so they can't roll out 5G without removing something else first, so 3G has to go. This is going to leave non-carrier phones (not just BlackBerries) and lots of older carrier phones with no way to make and receive phone calls, and this is why AT&T will no longer activate those phones, even though they would continue to work for a few more months. AT&T wants you to upgrade to a supported phone. They don't care which one - as long as it's on their current list of supported phones.
    02-12-21 07:56 PM
    ...could he do the "lateral arabesque" popping SIM into an ATT model for activation and then into Key² ready to go ?
    TexasCatCatcher likes this.
    02-13-21 07:48 AM
    Is that the same as CU reference? If so,
    ADBI-PRD63828809
    02-13-21 08:15 AM
    Set Network to 4G Only-aa5e4a44-747f-43d8-96ad-420241a0bac7.jpg
    Is it crazy that Bold is supported but Key2 isn’t?
    According to this ATT list, I can buy a KeyOne.
    Do I need to be looking for anything beyond “unlocked”?
    02-13-21 08:23 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AA5E4A44-747F-43D8-96AD-420241A0BAC7.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	450413
    Is it crazy that Bold is supported but Key2 isn’t?
    According to this ATT list, I can buy a KeyOne.
    Do I need to be looking for anything beyond “unlocked”?
    The only devices supported on AT&T going forward are the AT&T branded (and carrier locked to AT&T originally) PRIV and KEYone now. Both devices are five (5) and for (4) years old respectively but running OS version even one (1) year older. It's time for moving on if you didn't buy either device at time of introduction or shortly thereafter.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-13-21 02:27 PM
    ...could he do the "lateral arabesque" popping SIM into an ATT model for activation and then into Key² ready to go ?
    No. Modern cell networks know which device you are using, and don't authorize features when using a non-approved device.
    02-13-21 07:56 PM
    No. Since 19 January, even if you remove the SIM from a previously activated non VoLTE device and put it back (to the same device) it will not work.
    Reddit is full of complaints about this to an extent that even me as a non American became aware of it
    02-14-21 04:51 AM

OK, I did this thing in order to set it to LTE only, for the reasons from the other post. And I made sure I had VoLTE turned on. I didn't know that it didn't matter, it was up to my carrier, and it's not on. Stupidly, I forgot what setting I turned it away from. Anyone know how to figure that out?

Sorry to be needy and kind of dumb!
    01-27-22 01:43 PM
    OK, I did this thing in order to set it to LTE only, for the reasons from the other post. And I made sure I had VoLTE turned on. I didn't know that it didn't matter, it was up to my carrier, and it's not on. Stupidly, I forgot what setting I turned it away from. Anyone know how to figure that out?

Sorry to be needy and kind of dumb!
    Who is your carrier?
    01-28-22 01:00 PM

I have a Key2 on AT&T and found under Phone Information that my phone IS VoLTE provisioned! Does that mean it will still work after the 3G shutdown?
    01-29-22 08:54 AM
    I have a Key2 on AT&T and found under Phone Information that my phone IS VoLTE provisioned! Does that mean it will still work after the 3G shutdown?
    P.S. AT&T just sent me a free 4G Cell Booster to replace the 3G version that they booted from the system.
    01-31-22 04:50 PM
    I guess you will find out on the 22nd.
    01-31-22 05:25 PM
    The phone supports LTE (true "4G), but that's strictly for mobile DATA, not phone calls. Phone calls are completed one of two ways: either the phone is supported by the carrier to use VoLTE (Voice over LTE, similar in concept to VoIP), where phone calls are routed over the LTE data network, OR, phone calls come in on GSM (or CDMA) frequencies and standards that are part of 2G/3G.

AT&T, by POLICY, does not provide what they consider "advanced calling features", including VoLTE, for phones not originally sold by AT&T, so if you didn't buy your phone from them, it's not getting VoLTE. The only exception is the iPhone, and that's because Apple had the leverage to negotiate a better deal for iPhones.

Non-AT&T Key-series phones currently rely on 3G GSM to make and receive phone calls, but 3G is going away on all carriers so those frequencies can be reused for 5G - there isn't any more bandwidth available, so they can't roll out 5G without removing something else first, so 3G has to go. This is going to leave non-carrier phones (not just BlackBerries) and lots of older carrier phones with no way to make and receive phone calls, and this is why AT&T will no longer activate those phones, even though they would continue to work for a few more months. AT&T wants you to upgrade to a supported phone. They don't care which one - as long as it's on their current list of supported phones.
    It seems odd to me there isn't more backwards compatibility with the way the networks were engineered.

I am working with Cricket to see if I can get my Key2 working on their network. It seems dumb the KeyOne and Priv work but the Key2 doesn't.
    02-15-22 04:34 PM
    It seems odd to me there isn't more backwards compatibility with the way the networks were engineered.

I am working with Cricket to see if I can get my Key2 working on their network. It seems dumb the KeyOne and Priv work but the Key2 doesn't.
    It's not about backward compatibility. For years, all these devices fell back to 3G (including HSPA+, which AT&T called, and still calls, regular "4G" while the rest of the world called it "H+") when on a voice call.

Cricket uses AT&T's network. Therefore devices need to comply with AT&T's requirements.

To be clear, the Key2 absolutely can support AT&T's VoLTE service. It's just that TCL never paid to certify that device, so AT&T simply won't support it.

TCL did pay for all certifications for the KeyOne when AT&T agreed to sell it themselves. That's why the one, and only one, KeyOne PRD variant that AT&T sold still works and is supported.
    Laura Knotek and bibbula like this.
    02-15-22 04:56 PM
    I have a Blackberry Key2 and with 3G ending they are dropping my calls and texts to 2G - I've asked why they don't put calls and texts onto 4G but they just say they dont know. No discount for lowered service, they tried to sell me a 5G phone but I got the Key2 to deal with having to go android so not keen. Is the answer to change network? If so, does anyone know a network that will put calls and texts onto 4G with this phone?
    01-16-24 04:28 PM
    I have a Blackberry Key2 and with 3G ending they are dropping my calls and texts to 2G - I've asked why they don't put calls and texts onto 4G but they just say they dont know. No discount for lowered service, they tried to sell me a 5G phone but I got the Key2 to deal with having to go android so not keen. Is the answer to change network? If so, does anyone know a network that will put calls and texts onto 4G with this phone?
    They all should..... Where are you in the world? Scotland?

Yeah I'd try another network, just "try" it using a cheap pay as you go SIM.

Might also consider a Factory Reset, as well as facing it's time for a "current" phone that will work with the expanded network your carrier is offering with 5G. For me it opened up much better coverage than 3G/4G offered.
    01-17-24 11:31 AM
26 12