I really am starting to wonder, are we going to get android 9 pie or is it just a pipe dream?

It's no longer cute that BlackBerry takes a long time in releasing OS updates or non at all. I remember we were told the Key2 would be getting the update.
    bigedschukar likes this.
    04-26-19 01:30 PM
    I highly doubt it. If we will then it will be so far out in the future that I don't even know what's going to be exciting about it at that point.
    fop518, Vistaus, Bob80220 and 3 others like this.
    04-26-19 01:32 PM
    Both the PRIV and the KEYone/Motion got their updates in Summer... really no reason to expect something sooner than that schedule.

It is a little concerning that there hasn't been a "sign" of them testing it yet, but that doesn't mean anything just yet.
    04-26-19 01:42 PM
    Both the PRIV and the KEYone/Motion got their updates in Summer... really no reason to expect something sooner than that schedule.

It is a little concerning that there hasn't been a "sign" of them testing it yet, but that doesn't mean anything just yet.
    If I am not mistaken, we got an update in preparation for OREO on the K1 a month or two in advance. No such update for our K2's yet, as far as I can see. Fingers crossed.
    04-26-19 02:02 PM
    I really am starting to wonder, are we going to get android 9 pie or is it just a pipe dream?

It's no longer cute that BlackBerry takes a long time in releasing OS updates or non at all. I remember we were told the Key2 would be getting the update.
    Oreo came last Aug, so I assume Pie is on the same timeline.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-26-19 02:05 PM
    It was released in August after a week or two delay, correct? Mind you my K1 was a Rogers phone.
    04-26-19 02:49 PM
    I can’t believe TCL hasn’t pushed the update yet! It not that hard especially with so many people asking for the update they need to listen to their customers. Samsung has gotten better but Blackberry is still hurry up and wait. Look at the pixel they have android Q beta already, this is how all devices should get updated and stop pissing off your customer that give you money.
    Elky64 and Luniz like this.
    04-26-19 03:19 PM
    It was released in August after a week or two delay, correct? Mind you my K1 was a Rogers phone.
    I think it was released around that time though Beta was announced about two months prior if I am not mistaken and that's the worrying part....we hear absolutely nothing nor Beta is being announced.
    04-26-19 04:04 PM
    I can’t believe TCL hasn’t pushed the update yet! It not that hard especially with so many people asking for the update they need to listen to their customers. Samsung has gotten better but Blackberry is still hurry up and wait. Look at the pixel they have android Q beta already, this is how all devices should get updated and stop pissing off your customer that give you money.
    If you want vanilla Android Pie, jump on a cheap Android One phone and get it right away.

BlackBerry / BBMo has a different model - stable releases built on a hardened OS.
    04-26-19 04:33 PM
    If you want vanilla Android Pie, jump on a cheap Android One phone and get it right away.

BlackBerry / BBMo has a different model - stable releases built on a hardened OS.
    THIS.
    johnb_xp and SoundChaser007 like this.
    04-26-19 04:41 PM

So tell me, how long does it take for BBM to harden and stabilize an almost one year old OS upgrade?
    04-26-19 05:10 PM
    So tell me, how long does it take for BBM to harden and stabilize an almost one year old OS upgrade?
    BlackBerry doesn't stabilise the OS - a few extra months of updates does that. Don't forget, most big OEMs don't push an update until late winter, early spring. BBMo tends to be around 4 months behind.

That's the model. Like I said, if you prefer a more quickly updated vanilla, go for a cheap Android One phone.
    Last edited by conite; 05-02-19 at 12:46 AM.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-26-19 05:17 PM
    Personally my KEY2's Silver and RED are running perfectly on Oreo. What does PIE offer that is so critical to update today?
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    04-26-19 05:23 PM
    Personally my KEY2's Silver and RED are running perfectly on Oreo. What does PIE offer that is so critical to update today?
    Potentially gesture navigation
    04-26-19 05:25 PM
    Gesture navigation. I miss webOS, so I want that look-and-feel back and that's what 9 is good for. Also, partially system-wide dark theme, improved permissions and a better default font in most areas.
    04-26-19 05:28 PM
    That would be amazing. BBOS 10 gestures on android. Could tie the hub into it. Very disappointed in it on android so far.
    cyberdoggie likes this.
    04-26-19 06:26 PM
    I highly doubt it. If we will then it will be so far out in the future that I don't even know what's going to be exciting about it at that point.
    I tend to agree. And if the latest CB podcast was any indication, BlackBerry users don't "need" it anyway. Yes, that really is what people like CB Kevin are saying about a Pie upgrade for the Key2.
    04-26-19 07:02 PM
    I tend to agree. And if the latest CB podcast was any indication, BlackBerry users don't "need" it anyway. Yes, that really is what people like CB Kevin are saying about a Pie upgrade for the Key2.
    That's pretty much what they say about anything. I listened to the whole thing and not only there aren't any news or even clues about what's coming on the software or hardware side, they are still making a significant effort in promoting yesteryear Red K2...
    Vistaus likes this.
    04-26-19 07:06 PM
    That's pretty much what they say about anything. I listened to the whole thing and not only there aren't any news or even clues about what's coming on the software or hardware side, they are still making a significant effort in promoting yesteryear Red K2...
    And CBK taunting bka1ze about him never getting his hands on a red Key2...ever...and the fact Rico4You had to purchase one from the BlackBerry Europe store "for him" and mail it to CBK in Canada, in addition that Amazon units won't even ship to Canada and are blocked...has me seriously wondering if it will ever show up in Canada at all.

But yeah, the deafening silence on the whole Pie update issue...and the fact they practically laughed off even expecting a Pie update...was very telling indeed.

I almost got a sense from the tone of the conversation that something about the phone hardware itself (perhaps the outdated navigation buttons) didn't warrant a Pie upgrade.
    04-26-19 07:12 PM
    "we hear absolutely nothing"
    The norm when speaking BBMo/TCL, a fact hard to deny. Doing way more harm than good.
    04-26-19 10:25 PM
    The norm when speaking BBMo/TCL, a fact hard to deny. Doing way more harm than good.
    Yep... certainly not a confidence builder with the brand... 😓

Bob
    Elky64 and Vistaus like this.
    04-26-19 10:27 PM
    Yep... certainly not a confidence builder with the brand... 😓

Bob
    For me the unwillingness to break their "keeping silent" ritual has actually caused me to lose considerable interest in the brand (again), surely we are not alone. How many times have we seen them announce then leave things to fend for themselves in regards to when & where? Not a good sign considering, imo, this aspect appears to be worsening.
    04-26-19 11:56 PM
    TCL will drop this whole “BlackBerry phones” affair just like EMTEC got rid of BBM consumer. Optiemus is certainly fixin’ to do so in India. I was shortsighted enough to get an “Indian” prd of 100-6, even though the box wasn’t marked like it’s for optiemus. I’m on December 2018 security patch so getting Pie seems to be very unlikely.
    04-27-19 12:35 AM
    I have Pie on my S9 it's not that much different than Oreo on my BE Key One other than gestures I personally don't use. Anyone else out there with multiple devices running both that see big changes??
    Jonneh likes this.
    04-27-19 01:30 AM
    Year old OS... Seriously? The number 1 Android handset device maker just adopted Pie this January. (3 months ago) That's when my S9 received it. Disregard Pixel devices and users. They are honestly beta users and not everything is stable or roses with having the latest. I'll take stable any and all day.
    Sigewif likes this.
    04-27-19 01:35 AM
276 123 ...