Was wondering how to make sure there are no embedded viruses or security risks on a refurb phone.

The factory reset looks after wiping data, but should I be concerned that spyware has been buried somewhere that the security wipe doesn't touch?
    12-04-21 02:44 AM
    Was wondering how to make sure there are no embedded viruses or security risks on a refurb phone.

The factory reset looks after wiping data, but should I be concerned that spyware has been buried somewhere that the security wipe doesn't touch?
    The wipe should do it.
    mngreen likes this.
    12-04-21 06:31 AM
    The wipe should do it.
    Thanks! I'm hoped that would be the case.
    12-04-21 09:51 AM
    Thanks! I'm hoped that would be the case.
    BlackBerry Key2 has signed startup/root of trust. Unless it's been cracked by a state actor, you have nothing to fear as long as it's factory reset. See this article. Any malware on it is erased on factory reset. Of course, once you start using it, you may be vulnerable to attack vectors that are unplugged because of the age of the maximum Android version it is upgradeable to (8.1). But there are measures you can take to mitigate that.
    12-04-21 12:48 PM
    BlackBerry Key2 has signed startup/root of trust. Unless it's been cracked by a state actor, you have nothing to fear as long as it's factory reset. See this article. Any malware on it is erased on factory reset. Of course, once you start using it, you may be vulnerable to attack vectors that are unplugged because of the age of the maximum Android version it is upgradeable to (8.1). But there are measures you can take to mitigate that.
    Such as?
    12-04-21 08:22 PM
    Such as?
    Such as the ones I keep posting...
    12-04-21 08:28 PM
    Such as?
    Activate airplane mode and disable WIFI
    12-05-21 07:51 AM
    Such as the ones I keep posting...
    The ones you post don’t really mitigate… like the person who says they don’t need a seatbelt because they’ll just put out their arms to stop themselves or,

They don’t need self-defense weapons or skills because they’ll just stay away from the bad neighborhoods.
    12-05-21 11:07 AM
    Activate airplane mode and disable WIFI
    That should be fun like standing on a surfboard in the living room
    12-05-21 11:09 AM
    Such as?
    I'm going to get tarred and feathered here but here goes nothing:

- Don't click on dubious links
    - Don't open emails from unknown sources
    - Don't store sensitive information on cloud services (including social media)
    - Use strong and multi-factor credentials
    - Never, ever use free Wi-Fi
    - Don't download apps without thoroughly checking out the publisher and reading reviews
    - Don't download apps from mirrors or third-party app stores with no reputation
    - Run a VPN
    - Run a malware tool over your phone regularly (yes, I know Play Protect already does that but do it yourself-don't be an Alec Baldwin)
    - Etc. Etc. Etc.

The best defense is a layered one. For those that can use the latest and greatest, that's great. But the latest and greatest don't usually have a PKB. For those that want/need a PKB, we settle for the above.
    the_boon and zer0ten like this.
    12-05-21 11:29 AM
    The ones you post don’t really mitigate… like the person who says they don’t need a seatbelt because they’ll just put out their arms to stop themselves or,

They don’t need self-defense weapons or skills because they’ll just stay away from the bad neighborhoods.
    Horrible examples lol
    12-05-21 12:15 PM
    I'm going to get tarred and feathered here but here goes nothing:

- Don't click on dubious links
    - Don't open emails from unknown sources
    - Don't store sensitive information on cloud services (including social media)
    - Use strong and multi-factor credentials
    - Never, ever use free Wi-Fi
    - Don't download apps without thoroughly checking out the publisher and reading reviews
    - Don't download apps from mirrors or third-party app stores with no reputation
    - Run a VPN
    - Run a malware tool over your phone regularly (yes, I know Play Protect already does that but do it yourself-don't be an Alec Baldwin)
    - Etc. Etc. Etc.

The best defense is a layered one. For those that can use the latest and greatest, that's great. But the latest and greatest don't usually have a PKB. For those that want/need a PKB, we settle for the above.
    That’s literally the security manual for every vendor in my industry on the corporate employee level. However, the additional requirements are for only using current, supported, updated devices being required to download security and privacy updates as released.

These policies have been in place for 15+ years and started with first generation traditional and mobile devices with unblocked internet access. The problem is simply once security and privacy support ends, you lose the ability to identify the real intrusions, then you become the focus of the exposed vulnerabilities that aren’t patched.

Think of it like announcements where the neighborhoods or jurisdictions are published where firearms are prohibited or law enforcement isn’t readily available to respond.
    12-05-21 12:16 PM
    That’s literally the security manual for every vendor in my industry on the corporate employee level. However, the additional requirements are for only using current, supported, updated devices being required to download security and privacy updates as released.

These policies have been in place for 15+ years and started with first generation traditional and mobile devices with unblocked internet access. The problem is simply once security and privacy support ends, you lose the ability to identify the real intrusions, then you become the focus of the exposed vulnerabilities that aren’t patched.

Think of it like announcements where the neighborhoods or jurisdictions are published where firearms are prohibited or law enforcement isn’t readily available to respond.
    Yes Chuck, I know...but what's a man to do when he ain't got a current PKB phone? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    12-05-21 12:21 PM
    Yes Chuck, I know...but what's a man to do when he ain't got a current PKB phone? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I’ve been getting weaned off the BlackBerry experience, by external and internal circumstances, for 10+ years now. The reality of BlackBerry demise hit me in 2012-2013 era when BB10 almost didn’t happen and I was relying on Android/iOS devices on an extreme periphery level. With the BB10 introduction, came utter shock and disappointment as BB10 devices weren’t good for much until Android side-loading capabilities were simplified. However, BlackBerry Limited was already flirting with death and embracing Android simultaneously with the development of PRIV so I hung around. The obvious issues and subsequent improvements with DTEK follow-up had me accepting the BlackBerry experience on VKB proprietary models.

The KEYone/iPhone 5 dual carry had me preferring the PKB for size issues but the VKB for retractable ability with the WFC supported by AT&T everywhere. Once the iPhone XR came out, the whole PKB aspect became less relevant. I will concede that until Google really improved their GBoard, I wouldn’t have been as happy as I am now. I wasn’t truly happy with the LG VKB but on my 3a replaced by my 5a, with the Pixel/GBoard combo, I really don’t think a PKB can ever make a comeback.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-05-21 01:09 PM
    I wasn’t truly happy with the LG VKB but on my 3a replaced by my 5a, with the Pixel/GBoard combo, I really don’t think a PKB can ever make a comeback.
    So because of that experience with those two devices, the PKB can't ever succeed in any way shape or form?
    irob20000 likes this.
    12-05-21 02:13 PM
    So because of that experience with those two devices, the PKB can't ever succeed in any way shape or form?
    The wider market has apparently spoken loudly and clearly.
    Last edited by conite; 12-05-21 at 02:33 PM.
    12-05-21 02:14 PM
    I'm assuming by succeed, you mean at traditional commercial level not requiring a Kickstarter campaign since for now I'll be gracious to Unihertz and recognize limited success.

Not unless some new use or application happens that a VKB can't do as well or better than a PKB now or in the future.

It's the above two issues why things are what they are.
    12-05-21 03:09 PM
    I'm assuming by succeed, you mean at traditional commercial level not requiring a Kickstarter campaign since for now I'll be gracious to Unihertz and recognize limited success.

Not unless some new use or application happens that a VKB can't do as well or better than a PKB now or in the future.

It's the above two issues why things are what they are.
    I'm sure they can find a way to create an all-in-one case for the Z Fold 4 that includes a full keyboard and kickstand for immediate on-the-job (sort of) accurate typing (as long as there's a desk).

For thumb typing, I don't expect anything for that inner screen, but then it's so large that the VKB experience should be fine there. Yes, I actually found a case where a PKB would not be beneficial lol.

It's more that 25:9 outer display that could use a keyboard clip on accessory.

Many people on forums are complaining about the typing innaccuracy on that one (to no one's surprise really).
    12-05-21 06:04 PM
    I'm sure they can find a way to create an all-in-one case for the Z Fold 4 that includes a full keyboard and kickstand for immediate on-the-job (sort of) accurate typing (as long as there's a desk).

For thumb typing, I don't expect anything for that inner screen, but then it's so large that the VKB experience should be fine there. Yes, I actually found a case where a PKB would not be beneficial lol.

It's more that 25:9 outer display that could use a keyboard clip on accessory.

Many people on forums are complaining about the typing innaccuracy on that one (to no one's surprise really).
    But will consumers want that or an improved VKB since device is already foldable to begin with...
    12-05-21 08:20 PM
    But will consumers want that or an improved VKB since device is already foldable to begin with...
    Improved VKB ≠ PKB

But hey, if it's something I suggest, then they can't possibly want it.

#cblogic
    12-06-21 10:20 AM
    Improved VKB ≠ PKB

#cblogic
    You would need market corroboration of even one of your ideas before you can start posturing.
    12-06-21 10:29 AM
    Improved VKB ≠ PKB

#cblogic
    For you. Human nature is to look for solutions within familiar norms. The PKB isn't considered within the norms anymore for overwhelming majority and many could look at it going backwards so could reject it based on that perception, faulty or not. In most things, perception is reality, fair or not.
    pdr733 likes this.
    12-06-21 11:17 AM
    For you. Human nature is to look for solutions within familiar norms. The PKB isn't considered within the norms anymore for overwhelming majority and many could look at it going backwards so could reject it based on that perception, faulty or not. In most things, perception is reality, fair or not.
    Maybe people aren't as closed minded to new input methods/features as one might think?
    12-07-21 06:10 AM
    Maybe people aren't as closed minded to new input methods/features as one might think?
    You mean old input methods?
    12-07-21 07:42 AM
    You mean old input methods?
    By now, VKB's on phones have been around about as long as full PKB's have. Guess they're both "outdated" now lol
    12-07-21 01:48 PM
29 12