One of my biggest gripes with the Keyone was the screen, not the IPS technology - I am fine with that and actually prefer it over OLED - but with the brightness quality of the panel. In bright sunlight it is lackluster compared to other phones, yes even some other IPS panels. Vice versa in a very dark environment, the screen doesn't quite dim enough to a comfortable reading level. Take the Blackberry Classic for example, that screen not only was brighter outdoors, but also dimmer in a dark room.

I hope they improved on that matter, Michael Fisher was skeptical about this issue too but didn't make a final conclusion yet.
    06-08-18 12:35 AM
    If you want it even more dim than the system minimum, you can download "Blue Light Filter - Night Mode" by Leap Fitness Group in the Play Store, you can choose to dim the screen further without necessarily altering the tint
    06-08-18 01:58 AM
    I also was slightly annoyed by this on the KEYone. I might have seen a figure that said the KEY2 could be reduced to 5 nits. I believe the KEYone only went down to something like 15 nits.

I want to say the KEYone gets brighter than a lot of competition at 650 nits and the KEY2 should be the same.

Try this... turn your brightness to max. Then, go to your Display settings and toggle Adaptive brightness off. You should see the screen go even brighter.
    06-08-18 02:08 AM
    Take the Blackberry Classic for example, that screen not only was brighter outdoors, but also dimmer in a dark room.
    Nothing compares to the Classic Screen, it was one of the brightest in any handset ever. Just look at the phonearena benchmarks.
    06-08-18 02:17 AM
    Try this... turn your brightness to max. Then, go to your Display settings and toggle Adaptive brightness off. You should see the screen go even brighter.
    In direct sunlight the complete opposite is the case when you do that. Leave adaptive brightness ON!
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    06-08-18 02:18 AM
    In direct sunlight the complete opposite is the case when you do that. Leave adaptive brightness ON!
    I think you're right. Though turning it off DOES allow me to make the display brighter than normal, I'm usually trying that in moderately lit areas.

Apparently having adaptive brightness on will shoot the brightness even higher than that though under direct sunlight.

I stand corrected!
    06-08-18 02:24 AM
    Nothing compares to the Classic Screen, it was one of the brightest in any handset ever. Just look at the phonearena benchmarks.
    Too bad the battery was a bit small to sustain that bright display. That plus the drain of Android apps...
    06-08-18 03:53 AM
    Too bad the battery was a bit small to sustain that bright display. That plus the drain of Android apps...
    I don't mind more battery drain with a brightness boosted screen - it is a natural thing with every display - having a display which is not comfortably readable in sunlight is an annoying thing, more annoying than the higher battery drain. If that would bother me, I could still manually dim the screen.
    06-09-18 07:53 AM
    Since the first actual reviews are in, it seems like the screen of the new phone doesn't do any better in this regard compared to first generation of the device. Now that's not a deal breaker for me, the phone is still on pre-order and I am actually crossing fingers I'll get a shipping notification later today.
    However in 2018, for a phone this expansive, I simply expect something better. Such a brightness issue is ok on a more budget oriented, sub EUR 200 phone, but not on a flagship priced model. So it is kind of sad seeing one of my most major gripes with the Keyone is staying even before I even got the successor in my hands.
    06-27-18 09:08 PM
    Since the first actual reviews are in, it seems like the screen of the new phone doesn't do any better in this regard compared to first generation of the device. Now that's not a deal breaker for me, the phone is still on pre-order and I am actually crossing fingers I'll get a shipping notification later today.
    However in 2018, for a phone this expansive, I simply expect something better. Such a brightness issue is ok on a more budget oriented, sub EUR 200 phone, but not on a flagship priced model. So it is kind of sad seeing one of my most major gripes with the Keyone is staying even before I even got the successor in my hands.
    No way, nowadays a mid range phone costs around USD650, flagship phones all cost more than USD800. So yeah, Keytwo is just a mid range phone.
    house78 likes this.
    06-27-18 09:28 PM
    Mid range, lol. It's a premium phone compared to s9 and the iphone 10. It gives the same experience those phone offer, however the key2 offers what those phones can't. Even the build quality feels alot better. So yeah keep thinking it's mid range.
    06-27-18 10:24 PM
    When outside in sunlight turn on adaptive brightness, when it isn't sunny and dim, turn the setting off and raise up the bar. There shouldn't be any complaints about the screen.
    06-27-18 10:26 PM
    Mid range, lol. It's a premium phone compared to s9 and the iphone 10. It gives the same experience those phone offer, however the key2 offers what those phones can't. Even the build quality feels alot better. So yeah keep thinking it's mid range.
    The same experience? Not if you're taking pictures or gaming or consuming media. The Key2 has its own strengths and might be preferable for some but let's not get carried away.
    06-28-18 12:55 AM
    The same experience? Not if you're taking pictures or gaming or consuming media. The Key2 has its own strengths and might be preferable for some but let's not get carried away.
    Taking pictures?? Most i've my photos ive taken on my keyone result in beautiful photos. Anything more is nitpicking and completely unncecessary for it's intended use. The average consumer takes a photo and it gets stored in the album or ends up on instagram/facebook. But why is the camera more of a premium feature than the other quality features that the keytwo offers? And do you really think the average phone owner is a heavy gamer? More likely the occasional light gamer at most. Even still the keytwo can handle most games well, where as the the higher snapdragon cpu/gpu is more cattered to the highest demanding games, again not something the average user cares about. But why is that more of a premium than blackberry's features? The keytwo offers more what other high ends can't. I mean those flagships can't even get the most basic thing like a back grip and the shape done right to make it fit comfortable in the hands without slipping.
    Bure03 likes this.
    06-28-18 01:36 AM
    I think you're right. Though turning it off DOES allow me to make the display brighter than normal, I'm usually trying that in moderately lit areas.

Apparently having adaptive brightness on will shoot the brightness even higher than that though under direct sunlight.

I stand corrected!
    Absolutely correct
    06-28-18 01:38 AM
    Taking pictures?? Most i've my photos ive taken on my keyone result in beautiful photos. Anything more is nitpicking and completely unncecessary for it's intended use. The average consumer takes a photo and it gets stored in the album or ends up on instagram/facebook. But why is the camera more of a premium feature than the other quality features that the keytwo offers? And do you really think the average phone owner is a heavy gamer? More likely the occasional light gamer at most. Even still the keytwo can handle most games well, where as the the higher snapdragon cpu/gpu is more cattered to the highest demanding games, again not something the average user cares about. But why is that more of a premium than blackberry's features? The keytwo offers more what other high ends can't. I mean those flagships can't even get the most basic thing like a back grip and the shape done right to make it fit comfortable in the hands without slipping.
    Because form has taken over function these days.
    06-28-18 01:51 AM
    This may also be true for the Keytwo and explain why some claim its readable in sunlight while others do not.

Demo at 5:10

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by Kraeutermann; 06-28-18 at 07:11 AM.
    06-28-18 05:16 AM
    When outside in sunlight turn on adaptive brightness, when it isn't sunny and dim, turn the setting off and raise up the bar. There shouldn't be any complaints about the screen.
    I think that's subjective. The screen is old tech. It is perfectly serviceable as a screen don't get me wrong. But no one can deny that it could be better.
    It isn't bright enough in sunlight and it looks washed out even compared to other LCD screens.

So yes. There should be some complaints. It might be OK with you but you can't speak for everyone.
    06-28-18 11:07 AM
    When we're talking about general categories of a phone (mid-range, flagship etc.) we can't just change the criteria to suit our own preferences or ignore the strengths of other phones. The Key2 maybe more premium than the iPhone X for you but a rubber back and physical keyboard don't change the fact that much of the rest of the phone (screen, camera, GPU) is mid-range.
    06-28-18 01:03 PM
    Is the screen readability in sunlight really as bad as in this review?
    06-29-18 05:44 PM
    Is the screen readability in sunlight really as bad as in this review? https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...aa7f5c8dde.jpg
    Is this some joke?? The screen is turned off.. I'm going to grill that guy. In reality you can see your phone under sunlight clearly. If it's ultra bright sun, it's advised to keep settinf on adaptive brightness turned on. This mode unlocks the brightness setting to full potentional when under the sun. Alot of people have manual turned on and even on max it doesn't get brighter than the auto setting. Either way the worst that can happen is probably 70% visibility under the sun. In that case turn away from the sun or a slight hand over the phone if reading or viewing video. But in my 1 year of having the keyone, rarely have i been that bothered by the screen.
    06-29-18 06:28 PM
    Mmm... I wonder why the 99.7% of people aren't getting a bb phone, since apparently those things aren't important...
    06-29-18 08:09 PM
    Is this some joke?? The screen is turned off.. I'm going to grill that guy. In reality you can see your phone under sunlight clearly. If it's ultra bright sun, it's advised to keep settinf on adaptive brightness turned on. This mode unlocks the brightness setting to full potentional when under the sun. Alot of people have manual turned on and even on max it doesn't get brighter than the auto setting. Either way the worst that can happen is probably 70% visibility under the sun. In that case turn away from the sun or a slight hand over the phone if reading or viewing video. But in my 1 year of having the keyone, rarely have i been that bothered by the screen.
    Hold on, your saying for brighter screen outside, turn ON adaptive brightness?

I will try that, I am outside alot and need to take off my shades to see the screen, but my adaptive brightness is OFF and brightness set to max.
    06-29-18 09:13 PM
    Hold on, your saying for brighter screen outside, turn ON adaptive brightness?

I will try that, I am outside alot and need to take off my shades to see the screen, but my adaptive brightness is OFF and brightness set to max.
    Yes turn it on, you will see the jump in brightness i also read somewhere that it's a software thing, that learns to adjust to brightness conditions over time. It's advised to keep it on auto and leave it on especially outside, and over time it stays mucb brighter than manual.
    06-29-18 09:51 PM
    I am really happy with the "new" adaptive brightness algorithm. it is much softer than the one in the key1 and smoother. Much better over all.
    06-30-18 01:30 AM
31 12