Hi everyone,

Has anyone tried a SANDISK 1tb memory card for a BlackBerry KEY 2?

thank you..
    03-18-19 03:35 AM
    That's not going to work as the KEY2 only supports up to 256GB MicroSD cards: https://blackberrymobile.com/us/spec...ions/keytwo-2/
    03-18-19 01:05 PM
    That's not going to work as the KEY2 only supports up to 256GB MicroSD cards: https://blackberrymobile.com/us/spec...ions/keytwo-2/
    I also wouldn't know why anyone would need 1 terabytes of space in a card you're going to put in a phone. But hey that's just me
    03-18-19 02:01 PM
    Can't imagine why anyone would need more than 640kb on a pc...

..Tom
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    03-18-19 03:15 PM
    I also wouldn't know why anyone would need 1 terabytes of space in a card you're going to put in a phone. But hey that's just me
    It's not just you: I agree.
    03-18-19 04:17 PM
    Can't imagine why anyone would need more than 640kb on a pc...

..Tom
    I know you're just joking, but that's totally different. You're talking about internal storage, while a MicroSD is external storage.
    03-18-19 04:17 PM
    Actually it will. The 1TB card is just a Micro SDXC Card.
    The key2 is SDXC compatible. As is the Z10 for that matter.
    jmorgan456 and krzyabn like this.
    03-18-19 05:35 PM
    Actually it will. The 1TB card is just a Micro SDXC Card.
    The key2 is SDXC compatible. As is the Z10 for that matter.
    Have you not read the specs I linked to? It clearly says "up to 256 GB".
    03-18-19 05:49 PM
    I don't need too. That's simply the size that was available when they wrote the specs.
    I believe the Z10 specs said 64 GB and I've tested that with as high as 200.
    SDXC works upto 2TB.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    03-18-19 05:57 PM
    I don't need too. That's simply the size that was available when they wrote the specs.
    SDXC works upto 2TB.
    HI all,

sorry I just got here today. Yes, I do know its limitation in terms of memory card space, but like you've said, that specs was made when 1tb isnt available yet, maybe it really is capable of 1tb.

So.. anyone have an idea if it will work?..
    03-18-19 11:13 PM
    As @1122334455667788 said, there's no reason it wouldn't. Question is, would anyone buy one for a phone. Beyond the capacity, and potentially crippling indexing, the price is outrageous currently. Go for it! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
    Vistaus likes this.
    03-18-19 11:21 PM
    As @1122334455667788 said, there's no reason it wouldn't. Question is, would anyone buy one for a phone. Beyond the capacity, and potentially crippling indexing, the price is outrageous currently. Go for it! Can't wait to hear how it goes.
    yeah, although I am still considering the options if anyone have done it already.
    03-19-19 12:20 AM
    yeah, although I am still considering the options if anyone have done it already.
    How much storage do you actually need now? It's important to remember how much these prices are falling.
    It is cheaper to get a $400 GB card now, AND buy a 1TB card in a couple years, than it is to just buy a 1TB card now (or whenever it actually becomes available).

Performance issues can occur, but are more dependant on number of files than the actual size of a card. I don't think it should be too much of an issue on a modern version of Android.
    I did have some performance issues with BlackBerry 10. For example, the photo app ground to a halt after I gave it about 150GB of photos. Clearly they never tested it with that volume. The file manager on the other hand had no issues, I could navigate to a folder, and then open a photo just fine. It was annoying on BB10, as there weren't many options for apps. On Android if I had an issue with one app I would simply download another.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt and V-Tom like this.
    03-19-19 10:18 AM
    SDXC works upto 2TB.
    In fact, when the format began getting support from OEMs, and existing phones (like the Z10) were made compatible with the exFat driver, they all started saying they supported up to 2TB. Then after about half a year, they changed to say a max of 256GB or even just 200GB. Mostly because there was no such 2TB card yet. Even the 256GB cards were still a ways out from release at the time.

Before that, 32GB was the max. Anything above that - and the next step was 64GB - needed the new SDXD type and the exFat driver.
    03-19-19 12:13 PM
    In fact, when the format began getting support from OEMs, and existing phones (like the Z10) were made compatible with the exFat driver, they all started saying they supported up to 2TB. Then after about half a year, they changed to say a max of 256GB or even just 200GB. Mostly because there was no such 2TB card yet. Even the 256GB cards were still a ways out from release at the time.

Before that, 32GB was the max. Anything above that - and the next step was 64GB - needed the new SDXD type and the exFat driver.
    I remember the Priv advertised that it would support up to 2TB though they obviously were not available.
    03-20-19 12:52 AM
    Same point though. Data increases to fill what storage is available. 8k video? 24k?

..Tom
    03-20-19 03:56 PM
    SDXC works upto 2TB.
    I don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes: is SDXC basically a file system that allows the higher addressable memory?

..Tom
    03-20-19 03:58 PM
    I don't know much about what goes on behind the scenes: is SDXC basically a file system that allows the higher addressable memory?

..Tom
    SDXC (64GB to 2TB) cards use exFat as the file system. SDHC (4Gb to 32 GB) used fat32.
    I've never actually done it, but supposedly you can get an SDXC card to work in an SDHC only device by reformatting as fat32.
    03-20-19 04:04 PM
    SDXC (64GB to 2TB) cards use exFat as the file system. SDHC (4Gb to 32 GB) used fat32.
    I've never actually done it, but supposedly you can get an SDXC card to work in an SDHC only device by reformatting as fat32.
    Some devices just won't accept exFAT. My Amazon Fire Tablet HD8 8th Gen does not. When I stuck a new 128GB SD card in it and set it for external storage, it immediately reformatted it to FAT32.

I still get the full capacity (well, it's down to 112GB after formatting).

The only real limitation being file size limit of 4GB. I've got movies I was going to put on it, but they range from 8 to 12 GB. So, forget that.

I shouldn't be surprised. We all know how much Amazon hates to license things, and they'd have to pay Microsoft to use exFAT. BlackBerry did, and that's why their devices support it.
    03-20-19 04:31 PM
    I can definitely testify that I have had multiple phones, Android and Blackberry 's where the specs only mentioned supportin upto 64 gb microsd and I used 128 gb microsd on them. I am fairly certain that the 1 to microsd would work.

However, AND I STRESS THIS, make sure the read and write BOTH speeds are at least 80mb/s. Otherwise you will notice performance degradation, random freezes and reboots and significant battery drain.
    03-22-19 01:43 AM
    The reason. Those specs say a certain amount is due to the technology available at the time the phone was released, since no 512gb or 1tb cards existed when the phone was launched, there was no way to test it and companies do not want to take any chances with class action suits. So that being said. I would advise against using a 1tb microsd at this point since the technology is fairly new and neither of the major brands have released this product. My issue is not whether it would work or not but rather the speeds. If you have to backup anything, personally I would advise waiting for the release of microsd cards with minimum 100 Mb/s read and write. You can use a USB 3 or USB c cable but if the microsd is your bottleneck, it will wear out the slow read / write capacity microsd, not also to mention for it to take forever to back up your data. Keep in mind the write/ write speed are optimal assuming you have a super computer, if it say 80 as the speed, you would be lucky to get a 60 for more than a couple of seconds.
    Last edited by sachmalh; 03-22-19 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Adding info.
    03-22-19 01:54 AM
    Early on the specs said 2TB.
    But no such thing existed.
    03-22-19 12:55 PM
    I have over 200GB of just music on my phone.

I also use my phone as a de facto thumb drive to transport files from work to home.

Is it the perfect solution? No. But the phone is always there and can carry way more stuff than a thumb drive.

I could use a 1TB. Is it necessary? No. I have 256 now and it works fine if I delete stuff regularly.
    03-22-19 12:59 PM
    I have over 200GB of just music on my phone.

I also use my phone as a de facto thumb drive to transport files from work to home.

Is it the perfect solution? No. But the phone is always there and can carry way more stuff than a thumb drive.

I could use a 1TB. Is it necessary? No. I have 256 now and it works fine if I delete stuff regularly.
    Very interesting. Can you share the procedure for using it as a thumb drive? Do you need to physically remove the micro SD or plug phone into computer? Very interested. Thanks in advance,
    03-22-19 04:31 PM
    Very interesting. Can you share the procedure for using it as a thumb drive? Do you need to physically remove the micro SD or plug phone into computer? Very interested. Thanks in advance,
    Personally, I just plug the phone into the computer. Easy enough. Depending on the phone, it may ask how you want to use it, just select media transfer and it's a drive you can browse to in the file manager. Copy and paste like anything else in Windows.
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    03-22-19 05:30 PM
27 12