1. capacitive buttons - this phone will be left behind from gestures from android P and so on.
    You mean that the BlackBerry Keytwo can't use the Swipe Up for Recent Apps gesture that BlackBerry invented in the first place?
    06-26-18 08:47 PM
    1. capacitive buttons - this phone will be left behind from gestures from android P and so on.
    BlackBerry confirmed the device will get an update to Android P (source: https://www.androidauthority.com/bla...review-872334/).

Maybe BB will find a way to use the PKB to replace the gestures embedded with the android P.
    06-26-18 09:10 PM
    1) Buying without a plan is not cost effective for me (and yes I know it's due to the better specs, but $s are $s and I have too good a plan with my current carrier who won't be carrying the KEY2 to give up just for a device that I have to buy outright);
    2) I'm sure the PKB is better than the KEYone's but it has to be pretty spectacular to even be an equal to that found on the Passport, and BB's VKB is still brilliant enough for me to bide my time and wait for them to get it right.
    Last edited by A Noise Annoys; 06-27-18 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Grammar
    06-27-18 07:32 AM
    I wouldn't buy a phone if I had to change carriers. To me, that's letting the tail wag the dog. You would think being just outside a major metropolitan area, coverage would be for the most part the same. However, shockingly, it's not. Also, while I might be a tech *****, the BYOD/unlocked version, and not being sure the phone will function properly, and with all features, for me is just too risky. Thanks.
    A Noise Annoys likes this.
    06-27-18 08:27 AM
    my keyone has a manufacturing defect ( cannot hear caller voice) and I called several blackberry service in Spain and UK and they don't want to fix it. and this my second keyone as the first one also they couldn't fix. I have been a blackberry fan for ten years but if they don't support their customers how can I buy a new one. I already have three blackberrys which are broken 1XZ10, 2Xkeyone.
    06-27-18 08:52 AM
    I wouldn't get the k2 if the camera doesn't perform better than the k1. Also, if there ends up being another screen-lift scandal or something of the sort.
    06-27-18 09:21 AM
    I have just had a look at one in Selfridges London. This is a fast phone with a lovely keyboard... however the screen is too small and the keyboard still too small. I'll be selling my wife's Keyone and upgrading her!

However I will continue with my Passport

Posted via CB10
    06-27-18 12:27 PM
    seems as though reviews are what we expected. if you like the pkb it's your phone. reviews didn't seem overwhelmingly great. even Mr moble was positive but not overwhelmingly positive. not sure I'm convinced that it's that much better then keyone at least for 100 more. torn myself and am on fence.
    06-27-18 12:34 PM
    I’ll be watching for any reports of weak signal reception like with the K1. For me that’s the only major flaw it has, and the reason I went to the Motion. Any hint that the K2 might have the same problem will be a deal breaker for me.
    Same here the weak signal and call drops are my only grip on the keyone.
    06-27-18 12:43 PM
    Reason I wouldn't buy a Key2 --> because my Classic still serves my purposes!

I looked through some reviews on YouTube and have come to the conclusion that i am far too old to understand the negatives pointed out!
    Most things reviewers point out are not drawbacks for me - i mean it is probably cool to have things like face recognition, a camera with ∞ Megapixels or a larger screen or an SD 8xx pocessor etc... - i mean all are probably cool to have, but i am not sitting around all day watching videos or permanently jumping around from one app to the next, so i couldn't be bothered about all that!
    06-27-18 02:17 PM
    Since I'm still on my Priv, the potential issues I could encounter if I upgrade to Key2 are:

-inferior screen. Key2's smaller, lower resolution and using LCD tech instead of OLED, and that's all unanimously making the display a *major* downgrade over my Priv. That is my main concern.

-permanently exposed, touch-sensitive PKB. My Priv's PKB sometimes freaks out and starts deleting words as if I used the 'delete' gesture on the keyboard. I can easily close the slider keyboard to stop that and use the on-screen keys temporarily, but if that would ever happen on a Key2 I would not be able to stop it easily or fully resort to using an on-screen keyboard

-the potential lack of Pointer Mode. I use it every day on my Priv, which allows me to use the device fully with just one hand. I would dearly miss that feature.

-capacitive navigation keys. Much prefer the on-screen nav buttons, as those can hide and potentially be re-arranged. That cannot be done with the capacitive ones. Also, the potential issue with hitting them accidentally when using the PKB

-are all apps going to behave correctly at this screen aspect ratio and the fact that the PKB is always on?

There might be more, but those are the potential issues that came to mind.
    Albeit a visually impressive display, the PRIV screen has the problem of image burn in. My original PRIV has the Android navigation buttons and the top where the signal, battery, and carrier information is permanently burnt into the display.

That alone makes the KEYone IPS LCD a better quality display that doesn't experience any burn in.

With that said, I seriously hope BlackBerry Mobile makes a second, newer version of the PRIV with IPS LCD in the near future. That would be incredible if that ended up being the next device. Doubt it though.

I love the PRIV for many reasons, but the form factor is the lead reason for loving that phone, to me, in my humble opinion.
    06-27-18 04:51 PM
    Too expensive. I'm guessing that's been mentioned.
    06-27-18 06:04 PM
    Reasons I won't be getting a KEYtwo:

1. Google. Android is fine. It's Google's tracking software I don't like. I'd consider buying one with a forked version of Android.

2. Too big. If I'm going to have a phone with a physical keyboard, I prefer a Q10-sized device. If I want a large screen, I'll get a proper phablet without a PKB. By trying to combine a PKB with a large, tall screen, the K1/K2 is attempting to be a Jack-of-all-trades and is, therefore, master of none.
    06-27-18 06:10 PM
    Keyone still works fine...
    06-27-18 10:34 PM
    I love PKB but my eyes are old now and I find myself using iPhone 7 plus or Android phablet more often now. I may pick up key2 but 4.5 inch is really stress my eyes. I really like to see Priv 2.
    06-27-18 11:30 PM
    I love PKB but my eyes are old now and I find myself using iPhone 7 plus or Android phablet more often now. I may pick up key2 but 4.5 inch is really stress my eyes. I really like to see Priv 2.
    sounds like you need glasses ;-)

Posted via my Awesome passport
    Soapm likes this.
    06-28-18 12:09 AM
    I was thinking about this today. I REALLY on the fence. One thing keeping me back would be if the rubber backing didn't sit completely flush at when it meets the metal. This would happen with the K1 sometimes making the phone feel painfully sharp.

Anyone else?
    My only reason for not going for KeyTwo has been high pricing. I have now removed my KeyOne and shall go for KeyTwo soonest. Apart from the pricing I have no issues going for the device
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-28-18 02:03 AM
    I will talk about Key2 missing features or are not on par, then about use cases for this phone (can apply to Key1 as well), some positives aspects and my final conclusion.

Objective negatives:
    * Lack of water resistance;
    * Lack of wireless charging;
    * Mediocre cameras (front and back);
    * Mono-speaker which can easily be muffled;
    * Low audio output on the headphone jack;
    (* No trackball)
    (* Mid-range CPU - not fully sure if I want to list this as a negative, but I will put it on the list as well)

Use cases:
    1. Personal phone for regular Joe
    - high price;
    - OS upgrades (Key1 is still on 7.1.1 not even 7.1.2, it is scheduled for upgrade later this year for 8.0 or 8.1, hopefully the latter);
    (security updates which are monthly aren't really a concern, nobody is gonna hack you or attack your phone)
    - all of the objective negatives for this phone affect you

2. Business phone for work (manager or what have you)
    + security updates/phone stability;
    - you can choose between iPhone, Samsung and this phone
    - all of the objective negatives for this phone affect you
    (price or data prices are not relevant to you)

3. Government, High Security Risk Firm, etc. phone
    + security updates/phone stability
    + BB security and communication software
    (you probably won't have other work phones, the price or data prices aren't relevant, only security)

Now let's talk about the positives:
    + good keyboard (if you disregard the capacitive buttons issues);
    + awesome battery life;
    + more ram;
    + better storage options;
    + awesome communicator phone;
    + very good BB software;
    + monthly security updates;

And finally the conclusions:
    I wanted the Key2 to be good really badly, to improve in media consumption and features, but it didn't it's just a Key1 with newer specs. For that reason I am 90% sure I won't be buying Key2. If somehow, just like the tech-reviewers, I happen to stumble upon a cheap/free Key2 as a second phone, I would gladly take it.
    Now I talk from personal experience as well as my own firm's perspective when I say the following: from the plethora of managers that used to have BlackBerry phones and they used to be big fans, only 1 chose Key1 over iPhone 8/Samsung S9/etc. , and that manager as well as I, we're die hard keyboard and HUB fans, that willingly close our eyes at the CPU, Camera and Audio performance.
    This phone, Key2, with the actual hardware and price is and will only be a phone for HIGH SECURITY RISK jobs and WORK related activities. It cannot be your daily driver, only if you decide having the Keyboard, Hub and 1+day battery life is of utmost importance to you and nothing else matters.
    Last edited by hesusftw; 06-28-18 at 08:48 AM.
    06-28-18 08:32 AM
    my keyone has a manufacturing defect ( cannot hear caller voice) and I called several blackberry service in Spain and UK and they don't want to fix it. and this my second keyone as the first one also they couldn't fix. I have been a blackberry fan for ten years but if they don't support their customers how can I buy a new one. I already have three blackberrys which are broken 1XZ10, 2Xkeyone.
    What BlackBerry Services are you calling. Call BlackBerry Mobile directly.
    06-28-18 11:59 AM
    A KEY2 + Note 8 combo seems like an awesome productivity duo, they'd complement each other very well.

But a Note 8 and Note 9? Or Note 8 and S7E? Boring AF
    Well I just got a great deal on home Fibre connectivity, so I might not be buying ANY phone this year at this point

Let me be boring with Netflix.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-29-18 01:04 AM
    Reason for me is simple.

It’s too soon. I bought the 9900 in 2011, and then the KEYOne in 2017. I want to get another 4 years out of my KEYOne for the price I paid.

I don’t quite get people who upgrade every time a new phone comes out, even at the end of a two year contract, people just rush to sign themselves up to another two years of an inflated phone bill rather than use it as an opportunity to reduce their bill by using the phone they’ve just paid for and finding a better deal on minutes/data etc.

Most people don’t upgrade their TV every couple of years, not sure why they’re willing to do it with their phone. If I’m spending several hundred pounds on an electronic gadget, I damn well expect it to last a good few years.

Sign me up for the KEY6 though.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    06-29-18 06:41 AM
    Reason for me is simple.

It’s too soon. I bought the 9900 in 2011, and then the KEYOne in 2017. I want to get another 4 years out of my KEYOne for the price I paid.

I don’t quite get people who upgrade every time a new phone comes out, even at the end of a two year contract, people just rush to sign themselves up to another two years of an inflated phone bill rather than use it as an opportunity to reduce their bill by using the phone they’ve just paid for and finding a better deal on minutes/data etc.

Most people don’t upgrade their TV every couple of years, not sure why they’re willing to do it with their phone. If I’m spending several hundred pounds on an electronic gadget, I damn well expect it to last a good few years.

I'm with you, but some people really, really like gadgets and it's pleasurable for them to upgrade, tinker, etc.

I understand that, because I do that with my PC, but there are major differences:

I can tinker with almost every component of my PC: motherboard, processor, memory, graphics card, BIOS settings, OS, peripherals, drivers, software, etc

Tinkering on a secure mobile phone consists of app selection, settings and an occasional factory reset. I don't get it.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    06-29-18 07:13 AM
    Reason for me is simple.

People have been duped into believing they need a smartphone upgrade every couple years or sooner. The phone OEMs and carriers make a ton of money thanks to this artificial cycle they've established.

Most major Android OEMs - including Google - don't even support their phones with OS and security updates beyond 2-3 years, despite the hardware still being perfectly functional.

For all the flack Apple gets over the price of their phones, they do support them with updates much longer than any other OEM. For example, the iPhone 5s will be 5 years old this September and will receive the update to iOS 12, extending its official supported life to 6 years! And iOS 12 will actually speed up older devices, if what they said at the last WWDC keynote is true.

People balk at the $1000 price tag of the iPhone X, but let's say it's supported for 5 years (which it probably will be). That's an average cost of about $200 per year (assuming one were to keep it that long).

Anyone out there have a 5-year-old Android phone that's still receiving OTA updates from its manufacturer? Nope. It doesn't exist.

Apple may be complicit in marketing their products in a way that entices people to upgrade when they don't really need to, but at least they provide options for those of us who prefer to get as much useful life out of our devices as possible and put our money towards more important things.
    The Chosen likes this.
    06-29-18 07:43 AM
    My Keyone BE still works well. I would at least give it another year before I consider putting it down.
    06-29-18 08:32 AM
    And iOS 12 will actually speed up older devices
    Right...

And besides, iPhone battery life is already subpar out of the box, so I wouldn't even imagine what it would be like after 4 years
    06-29-18 12:22 PM
104 ... 2345