I would like to know if there are any hopes to receive other patches..I have just bought a brand new key2 and I'd hope at least another update...
    08-12-20 04:48 AM
    No hope whatsoever. TCL has moved on and BlackBerry Ltd has no interest.
    08-12-20 06:43 AM
    You can still hope.... slight chance that they might push out one more. But we are talking long, long, long shot.

It's a two year old Android phone that we have know for six months that updates were ending in June (KEY2) and August (KEY2 LE). Most realized a year ago when the KEYone updates ended that 2 years would be all the KEY2 would get (before we knew BBMo was going away).
    08-12-20 07:22 AM
    TCL never even met their commitment for security patches even when their devices were still being "supported", so they're definitely not going to do it now. They're just another dishonest Chinese company.
    zer0ten and John Albert like this.
    08-14-20 01:23 PM
    TCL never even met their commitment for security patches even when their devices were still being "supported", so they're definitely not going to do it now. They're just another dishonest Chinese company.
    What's BlackBerry? PlayBook, DTEKs?

TCL was a little shady with the way they used the Android Recommended Program and the original intent of 2 Years minimum for BlackBerry Android Secure.

But folks were warned that they didn't offer the same "promises" on updates and patches.
    08-14-20 02:16 PM
    What's BlackBerry? PlayBook, DTEKs?

TCL was a little shady with the way they used the Android Recommended Program and the original intent of 2 Years minimum for BlackBerry Android Secure.

But folks were warned that they didn't offer the same "promises" on updates and patches.
    They did advertise monthly security patches and didn't deliver them, as has been well litigated. They also never updated the K2 to Android 9, and Verizon/Sprint K1 didn't even get Android 8.
    08-14-20 05:09 PM
    20 patches in 24 months is as close to perfect as you can be.
    08-14-20 05:44 PM
    20 patches in 24 months is as close to perfect as you can be.
    No, not really.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-16-20 01:51 AM
    They did advertise monthly security patches and didn't deliver them, as has been well litigated. They also never updated the K2 to Android 9, and Verizon/Sprint K1 didn't even get Android 8.
    Yeah that sums up their commitment
    08-16-20 04:48 AM
    I am moving to a OnePlus 7 or 8...

The spacebar of my K2 is showing problems of sensitivity, again (this is my third device sent back to Amazon).

Hard decision but natural.
    08-16-20 05:21 AM

The spacebar of my K2 is showing problems of sensitivity, again (this is my third device sent back to Amazon).

Still under warranty?
    08-16-20 04:36 PM
    Still under warranty?
    Yes, this is the third K2 I have owned, bought in Dec 2019. So, fortunately is under warranty.

Honestly, despite I know I have to move on to an Android10 device, I am still looking at the K2 dual SIM... I am so used to it, comfortable.
    08-16-20 04:47 PM

I traded in my S9 for the new A71 5G (straight across and only had to pay tax) on T-Mobile. Like the S10 and above the A71 and A51 will get 3 OS updates or 11,12 and 13. The 5G upload and download speeds are quite impressive here in California. Still have my BE of course but this was a natural upgrade on my slab. I am REALLY liking this A71 5G. Gorgeous panel, added screen real-estate, 7655G SOC is bloody fast, camera is excellent, 4500 mah battery!!!! and slab is now future proofed for the next 3 OS updates. And importantly I am one that really likes One UI. So many good affordable devices and choices for users. This upgrade cost me $ 42.60.
    app_Developer likes this.
    08-16-20 04:52 PM
    Yes, this is the third K2 I have owned, bought in Dec 2019. So, fortunately is under warranty.

Honestly, despite I know I have to move on to an Android10 device, I am still looking at the K2 dual SIM... I am so used to it, comfortable.
    As of now, it’s all waste of money to me if you’re getting a refund. When the BBTax was $150-$200 for PKB hardware and BBAndroid software plus updates too, reasonable choice. Now, it’s just for the PKB solo as everything is outdated and practically not supported. Any three year old Android VKB hardware maxed out at Oreo 8.1 now is $100 or less. So $300-$500 for BB PKB is a no go for most.
    jacobacevedog likes this.
    08-16-20 04:55 PM
    As of now, it’s all waste of money to me if you’re getting a refund. When the BBTax was $150-$200 for PKB hardware and BBAndroid software plus updates too, reasonable choice. Now, it’s just for the PKB solo as everything is outdated and practically not supported. Any three year old Android VKB hardware maxed out at Oreo 8.1 now is $100 or less. So $300-$500 for BB PKB is a no go for most.
    I agree.... Time to be realistic indeed.
    08-16-20 05:27 PM
    i just picked up a k2 this year to replace the passport i had for 5 years. i dont see why i wont keep this that long if it keeps running the apps that i use
    08-17-20 11:26 AM
    i just picked up a k2 this year to replace the passport i had for 5 years. i dont see why i wont keep this that long if it keeps running the apps that i use
    Still folks running Windows XP out there as well....
    08-17-20 11:47 AM
    Still folks running Windows XP out there as well....
    Funny thing is i peaked my head into an office here at my work last week and saw a win xp screen saver. I looked over at the guy and he said, "you dont have to ask. Yes its xp"
    08-17-20 11:54 AM
    If you're allowed to and you have nothing you're worried about compromising, sure. Why not? But I wouldnt go out and by one now for a personal hobby device at the current prices
    08-17-20 12:28 PM
    Funny thing is i peaked my head into an office here at my work last week and saw a win xp screen saver. I looked over at the guy and he said, "you dont have to ask. Yes its xp"
    Hard to imagine an office with any kind of IT department allowing that.... unless it's a device not networked.

We have one with access to an older database that sits there with no Bluetooth, no WiFi and no Network cards... and no removable storage or CD access. But hard to do that with a cell phone.
    08-17-20 01:10 PM
    If you prefer a PKB device it is absolutely ok to use any of the Key devices as your personal mobile phone. They will keep running the majority of apps people use for years to come. Shoot I have a '14 Samsung Tab Pro tablet on KitKat 4.4.2 that still runs most apps or at least the ones I use on a tablet. There are some in the forums that state a business case for having to use the latest mobile (Android or iOS) OS for their clients business and interface.

(How their clients know what mobile they choose to use is still a head scratcher to me as a business owner and third party vendor for large insurance corporations. None of my clients have ever asked me the brand of the mobile phone I/we have or use personally)
    08-17-20 01:36 PM
    I think the concern is how invisibly the sensitive client and personal info on the phone can be accessed by using unpatched vulnerabilities in the operating system. when the patches are released, those vulnerabilities become public knowledge. as we know there are hobbyists and criminals who are willing to grab such info for their own fun or gain. then the phone owner gets to explain to his or her client or family member how that info was acquired. and also why the phone owner is not responsible for being careless in safe guarding that info.
    08-17-20 01:53 PM
    If you prefer a PKB device it is absolutely ok to use any of the Key devices as your personal mobile phone. They will keep running the majority of apps people use for years to come. Shoot I have a '14 Samsung Tab Pro tablet on KitKat 4.4.2 that still runs most apps or at least the ones I use on a tablet. There are some in the forums that state a business case for having to use the latest mobile (Android or iOS) OS for their clients business and interface.

(How their clients know what mobile they choose to use is still a head scratcher to me as a business owner and third party vendor for large insurance corporations. None of my clients have ever asked me the brand of the mobile phone I/we have or use personally)
    If all you have is just their name and phone number... not too big a deal. But if you keep more confidential info on them.... stock accounts, bank accounts, medical info.... things that are regulated, it's a whole different ballgame.

Don't know what line of Insurance you are in, but health Insurance falls under HIPAA. Most everyone I know that has to comply with HIPP has a Service or Auditor that handle their compliance. Removal of outdated equipment is one of the top things they ask IT about - generally that computers, printers, copiers, routers. If smartphones are used to transmit anything covered by HIPAA, they'd be on that list at this point as well.

YES - phones will work beyond the end of patches.
    NO - phones won't be as secure or as safe to use beyond that point.
    08-17-20 01:55 PM
    Not networked
    08-17-20 02:02 PM
    If all you have is just their name and phone number... not too big a deal. But if you keep more confidential info on them.... stock accounts, bank accounts, medical info.... things that are regulated, it's a whole different ballgame.

Don't know what line of Insurance you are in, but health Insurance falls under HIPAA. Most everyone I know that has to comply with HIPP has a Service or Auditor that handle their compliance. Removal of outdated equipment is one of the top things they ask IT about - generally that computers, printers, copiers, routers. If smartphones are used to transmit anything covered by HIPAA, they'd be on that list at this point as well.

YES - phones will work beyond the end of patches.
    NO - phones won't be as secure or as safe to use beyond that point.
    For 12 years I worked for the nation's largest dental insurance company Delta Dental here in the US. I am well versed in HIPPA and if anyone sent any emails the corporate BlackBerry's at the time we're locked down tight. Used through 2011. No personal apps etc. And the email was sent such that the receiver had to utilize a log in and a password that changed monthly. Total pain in the *** but necessary especially since my last roll was with the retired military program (TRDP) Having friends and colleagues still there they utilize a choice of Samsung or Apple but their locked down so tight that they dual carry.

I left that position a year after we acquired our business as a third party vendor for auto insurance companies and banking institutions.

Who would actually have sensitive client financial information stored locally on their mobile phones or computers outside encrypted secure web logins or applications?

Email these days is the most easily abused vector and entry point for Ransom ware and it doesn't matter which device, OS or patch helps if there is not a common sense (and written) policy to NOT open links in odd or unfamiliar emails.
    08-17-20 02:42 PM
32 12