01-12-20 01:03 PM
102 ... 2345
tools
    Are you sure? I'm on Rogers and have had is for at least 6 months or more. I didn't do anything special, it just appeared on Messages one day.
    Rogers has had it working for over a year I have learned.

Telus (my carrier) only has it officially available on Pixels.
    11-23-19 02:06 PM
    having interacted with it for a little bit now, I can kind of tell that when two devices are on the jibe platform, the messages are transmitted over data.

when one end point is not on jibe, it routes over sms.

That is to say, it's not really RCS with SMS; it's an alternative message platform using a data service.

That better explains to me how I'm able to get this feature independent of my carrier.
    11-24-19 06:11 PM
    RCS / Jibe messages just showed up on my AT&T Priv. Beta version of Messages. No workaround required.

Android 6.0.1 AAW069
    12-06-19 08:07 PM
    RCS / Jibe messages just showed up on my AT&T Priv. Beta version of Messages. No workaround required.

Android 6.0.1 AAW069
    Interesting... no doubt because the AT&T branded PRIV did support Enhanced Features unlike the BYOD KEY2. I need to check my AT&T PRIV and see if it is showing on mine.

Bob
    12-06-19 08:27 PM
    I doubt it. My BYOD unlocked K1 got it first.

it's definitely Google managing the beta rollout.
    12-06-19 08:30 PM
    I will still check my AT&T PRIV... unfortunately no RCS as of yet for my KEY2...

Bob
    12-06-19 08:51 PM
    join the beta program for messages (link in app description). Then make sure that the beta updates on your your device.

Then wait.
    12-06-19 09:12 PM
    join the beta program for messages (link in app description). Then make sure that the beta updates on your your device.

Then wait.
    I'm on the Beta version... I just fired up my PRIV and updated the app and I now have RCS on my PRIV... 👍

Bob
    Last edited by Bob80220; 12-06-19 at 10:23 PM.
    12-06-19 09:42 PM
    Yes, unfortunately. Also isn't compatible with imessage, sends as a regular sms.
    It's more iMessage which isn't compatible with RCS. RCS is a standard, iMessage is specific to iDevices.

Its up to Apple to make it work with RCS, not the other way around.
    Bob80220 and Jake2826 like this.
    12-07-19 03:42 AM
    Just received the RCS notification on my KEY2 on AT&T... 👍

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Rcs anyone try it?-62163.jpg  
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-09-19 05:04 PM
    This is the notification I received.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Rcs anyone try it?-62162.jpg  
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-09-19 05:08 PM
    Bob80220: Did you have to enter your phone # in settings?
    12-09-19 06:23 PM
    Bob80220: Did you have to enter your phone # in settings?
    Did not... I just hit agree and it initiated RCS as you see in the screenshot.

Bob
    hamilgs likes this.
    12-09-19 06:26 PM
    Bob: The recent "Carrier Services" update (version 32) from Google enables RCS. Then last night I got the beta Messages update via Play Store, enabling RCS. I did the beta update, and Messages asked me to agree to stuff, I did and then it noted it would set up RCS and notify me when done. So far no notification, and this morning Chat status is "connecting". Seems still a work in progress for me.
    12-11-19 10:56 AM
    Bob: The recent "Carrier Services" update (version 32) from Google enables RCS. Then last night I got the beta Messages update via Play Store, enabling RCS. I did the beta update, and Messages asked me to agree to stuff, I did and then it noted it would set up RCS and notify me when done. So far no notification, and this morning Chat status is "connecting". Seems still a work in progress for me.
    Yep... I was on the Beta version of the messaging app so perhaps that's why I received the notification a couple of days ago. I also received the Carrier Services update yesterday too.

No doubt Google is pushing this out in waves but it looks like everyone will be receiving RCS capability as time goes on.

So far I haven't experienced this feature in action as the majority of my text contacts are using iPhones... 🤣

Bob
    12-11-19 11:06 AM
    So far no notification, and this morning Chat status is "connecting". Seems still a work in progress for me.
    The process for me was very quick... maybe a couple of minutes after selecting "Agree."

As you can see in the screenshot it shows "Connected."

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Rcs anyone try it?-62235.jpg  
    12-11-19 12:50 PM
    Pretty crazy how they can just get this out there when all along it was said it was a carrier thing that had to happen. It must have been a spend money thing and we know our providers wont spend a dime unless they can soak us for a dollar. I do not text much but dis notice all of sudden one person I texted the bubbles were darker blue and realized he had the rcs as well. Of course there is still the iphone users and funny how I now notice how many of the people I text have iphones. My immediate family we use telegram now.
    12-11-19 09:46 PM
    I had the opportunity to experience RCS today. Yes, the message bubbles are a darker blue and you can see "Delivered" and "Read" below your sent messages.

As I've mentioned before, the majority of people I text with are on iPhones so experiencing RCS will undoubtedly be on a very limited basis.

Bob
    12-11-19 09:53 PM
    Just saw this posted on Android Central...

Google says all U.S. users should now have RCS enabled https://www.androidcentral.com/googl...ve-rcs-enabled

Bob
    12-13-19 02:37 PM
    Pretty crazy how they can just get this out there when all along it was said it was a carrier thing that had to happen. It must have been a spend money thing and we know our providers wont spend a dime unless they can soak us for a dollar. I do not text much but dis notice all of sudden one person I texted the bubbles were darker blue and realized he had the rcs as well. Of course there is still the iphone users and funny how I now notice how many of the people I text have iphones. My immediate family we use telegram now.
    The carriers were exploring using the sms protocol... which is very difficult to do.

Google messages is using a data platform called jibe. Meaning if you are messaging someone, it will transmit over data. If the other device is not on jibe, it will go over sms.

One thing to realize: jibe is now privy to your communications (most likely no one has access to your data). However, if you do something bad, they may get a subpoena for your records.
    12-14-19 11:17 AM
    The carriers were exploring using the sms protocol... which is very difficult to do.

Google messages is using a data platform called jibe. Meaning if you are messaging someone, it will transmit over data. If the other device is not on jibe, it will go over sms.

One thing to realize: jibe is now privy to your communications (most likely no one has access to your data). However, if you do something bad, they may get a subpoena for your records.
    This makes sense without a lot of tech jargon.
    Anyone reading my texts would be sorely disappointed but I would still feel violated to some degree. That is the nature of any of these chat things you really dont know who can see what.

Still shows how much Google can do when they want something. This happened quite quickly in my mind. I'm in same boat as Bob the ones I wish it worked on use iphones. Sisters and brothers.
    12-14-19 11:54 AM

Can’t the same thing happen for your SMS and MMS text messages?
    12-14-19 01:04 PM
    Can’t the same thing happen for your SMS and MMS text messages?
    Yes.

I am merely pointing out that there is another entity to provide the data now.

... which may not have been obvious in case people thought of Rcs messages as "super sms," that is happening through carrier.
    12-14-19 01:07 PM
    On my Keyone the chat features status is stuck on connecting (connection in progress). Any ideas on how to fix that?
    12-16-19 06:56 AM
    Got it yesterday on my AT&T KEY2. Works great with the 10% of Android user friends but doesn't do anything I guess to be able to text iPhones from the air etc?
    12-17-19 12:53 PM
102 ... 2345