OK, so I am a tech idiot, and my history of cell phones, PDA's, and the like has been -- one of two things. First, years ago, I walk into the VZW corporate store, or I call VZW, access my corporate program...and I bought a device, attached it to my contract, and got a major discount because I was committing to the device and the contract for 2 years. I never paid more than $200 for a device. I never bought a device that just hit the market, but they weren't old, discontinued models. I'd say I bought it a few months after it came out.

Second, in recent years, I'd do the same thing -- but now you don't buy the device, you pay $15 or $20 per month for two years and then you own the phone.

So...here's my question...I read here, and it sounds like most people just walk into wherever they walk into, or go online, and just "buy" the device. So are all of you paying $700 to $1000 every time you buy a device? Because it sounds like people here are upgrading and buying new devices often, so is this costing you a lot of money?

Also, do you trade-in your current model for the new one? Sell the current one? Keep it?

Thank you very much in advance.
    08-24-18 01:36 PM
    good question! it amazes me every time i read about upgrading to a new phone as soon as there is one. must cost a fortune! myself i have a two year contract and keep my old phones as a collection of bb's. wouldnt be able to buy a new phone every time
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    08-24-18 01:50 PM
    Just as many that are happy with their 8 year old Bold....

Proportionally you have many more tech "fans"... and specifically BlackBerry fans, so new is what many go for.

Some are collectors and would never dream of selling, others have bought the same KEYone three times and sell it after a few weeks to get the next great Android flagship, and then comes back to the KEYone for a short while.....

Ain't nothing really normal around here...
    08-24-18 01:55 PM
    It's an interesting question. I moved away from contract because I travel all over the world and wanted SIM free, plus control of device updates. But I've just gone back on contract because roaming fees have dropped to the point it makes only a modest difference, and being unlocked doesn't mean I get updates any quicker anyway.

For those who always go out and buy the latest (of any manufacturer) the way to think of that is that it's a hobby, same as any other.

Not for me though!
    08-24-18 02:03 PM
    I always sell my current device whenever I buy a new phone, well , because I tend to buy several devices a year and always out of contract. Still lose a bundle every year. I've fallen in and out of love with BlackBerry phones more times than I can remember, periodically thinking that slab phones were the way to go and quickly realizing that of course they weren't.
    Unless something bad befalls my KEY², I think this one's a keeper though.
    the_boon likes this.
    08-24-18 02:05 PM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. For the first time I am buying an unlocked phone, then walking into ATT, and activating the phone. I don't know if they are going to lock me into a contract or not, but if they do...at least I own the phone. The downside is that I am going to pay what...$700 or so for the Key2?

If I had my way, I would keep it for about 20 years, LOL. But, I am not the person who will sell it, keep it, etc., within a few months, or even a year. Now, if I can wipe it clean and sell it for a decent amount, which I don't think I will be able to do...and there's a newer, better device, say in a year, then I would. Or, if they offered me some decent trade-in, I'd do it. I wouldn't even know where to sell the device, LOL.

For me, going for $700 or more every year just doesn't make sense for me. I am not a latest, greatest, techie kind of guy. I am sure others love doing it and I can see why it's worth it and fun.

I figure if I bought the Key2 now -- for $700 or so -- a year from now, brand new they will be around $400 and change, or less, depending on how many new BB's come out, and for me to even figure out where to sell my one year old used one, it will be worth around $200...and I won't find a buyer, LOL.
    08-24-18 02:23 PM
    I always sell my current device whenever I buy a new phone, well , because I tend to buy several devices a year and always out of contract. Still lose a bundle every year. I've fallen in and out of love with BlackBerry phones more times than I can remember, periodically thinking that slab phones were the way to go and quickly realizing that of course they weren't.
    Unless something bad befalls my KEY², I think this one's a keeper though.
    That makes sense to me. Just curious...where do you sell your current device?
    08-24-18 02:23 PM
    Just as many that are happy with their 8 year old Bold....

Proportionally you have many more tech "fans"... and specifically BlackBerry fans, so new is what many go for.

Some are collectors and would never dream of selling, others have bought the same KEYone three times and sell it after a few weeks to get the next great Android flagship, and then comes back to the KEYone for a short while.....

Ain't nothing really normal around here...
    I hear you...I used my Bold 9930 until the home office cut me off and no longer would send my emails to the device!!! LOL. If I could have figured out a way so that legal and compliance weren't going to send Neo and Morpheus after me...I would have stayed with my Bold 9930!!!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-24-18 02:26 PM
    That makes sense to me. Just curious...where do you sell your current device?
    I'm in France and we have a pretty popular web site for buying and selling second-hand stuff. I usually never have to wait more than a couple of weeks. But I price my devices reasonably so that may be why too.
    08-24-18 02:31 PM
    Swappa or eBay are what I see here for US sellers, but there are some others.

There is a section for listing a phone here on CrackBerry too.
    08-24-18 02:32 PM
    I don't buy devices all that often. Just to go over the last 7 years (to keep it recent): I bought an HP Pre 3 when it was released, then used it for a few years. Tried to replace it with a Jolla Phone, but I had too many issues. After a while, I sold the Jolla and went back to the Pre 3 and one year later, I used the money to buy a Passport in 2015. And it was only recently that I replaced my Passport with a KEY2 (but had BB10 not been axed, I would still be using my Passport! - although I broke the screen earlier this year, but I would've repaired it). So roughly, it comes down to a new device every 3-4 years.
    08-24-18 02:40 PM
    I think I used my Bold 9930 for almost 10 years...and I was forced to give it up. LOL.
    08-24-18 04:23 PM
    I have two lines and phones. I usually upgrade the blackberry every year and the other one I run through my contract.
    08-24-18 11:45 PM
    I bought my first BlackBerry last year when I got the Passport. I had just started my business and I wanted a phone dedicated to that. I still love my Passport and if it wasn't for the lack of apps and BB10 being axed I'd still be using it. I just purchased my Key2 and I absolutely love it. If they offered it to on Verizon I would probably make it my daily driver but for my business phone it's outstanding. I understand what you mean about the cost of upgrading phones every year. I thought about that when I purchased my Key2. When BlackBerry comes out with the Key3 or whatever it they plan to call it I will probably love it and want it but I don't know if I'll be willing to spend the cash on another new phone next year.
    08-25-18 12:34 AM
    The bottom line is that you actually save money by buying an unlocked device vs. going through a 2-year contract. You end up paying the full price of a device and something more when you are on a contract.

That doesn't mean that paying $700 all at once isn't a hard pill to swallow.
    08-25-18 01:21 AM