I don’t think Prem would have let his investment falter.

Going software only was the best route to be honest

It was just a shame that BB10 had so much of the “TAT factor” removed as it got older and more mature

There was so much going for it, but the promised hardware didn’t materialise and didn’t have the budget to fight the competition
    So far BlackBerry has been very good for John Chen ... perhaps not for the investors.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    02-16-20 12:12 PM
    So far BlackBerry has been very good for John Chen ... perhaps not for the investors.
    Well History has rescuing Sybase and selling to SAP. Who would want to purchase BlackBerry now? Gartner think MobileIron is the most secure MDM platform - I beg to differ. VMWare have a very strong product with Workspace ONE and Samsung’s KNOX portfolio has the device security, and Apple have made leaps and bounds with their Enterprise offering.

UEM (BES 12) will only be as good as the software as BlackBerry no longer control the hardware.

But it just seems so slow. You hear about Cylance and the GPS tracked containers (nothing new there)

They owned the Automotive infotainment sector, Fleet managers etc could have used this.

It’s such a tragic shame that they seem to have no clue how to market themselves. Everyone thinks BlackBerry was either finished or close to and irrelevant. There are a lot of skilled technical people there but the marketing and management seems to be clueless.

Probably burned my bridges ever getting a job back there.. but then again they may remember I had a PGP support email thread copied and pasted into this forum - probably not for the right people mind
    Bbnivende and moosbb like this.
    02-16-20 12:41 PM
    Well History has rescuing Sybase and selling to SAP. Who would want to purchase BlackBerry now? Gartner think MobileIron is the most secure MDM platform - I beg to differ. VMWare have a very strong product with Workspace ONE and Samsung’s KNOX portfolio has the device security, and Apple have made leaps and bounds with their Enterprise offering.

UEM (BES 12) will only be as good as the software as BlackBerry no longer control the hardware.

But it just seems so slow. You hear about Cylance and the GPS tracked containers (nothing new there)

They owned the Automotive infotainment sector, Fleet managers etc could have used this.

It’s such a tragic shame that they seem to have no clue how to market themselves. Everyone thinks BlackBerry was either finished or close to and irrelevant. There are a lot of skilled technical people there but the marketing and management seems to be clueless.

Probably burned my bridges ever getting a job back there.. but then again they may remember I had a PGP support email thread copied and pasted into this forum - probably not for the right people mind
    https://ca-finance-yahoo-com.cdn.amp...220013678.html
    Last edited by conite; 02-16-20 at 04:30 PM.
    anon(4274180) likes this.
    02-16-20 01:21 PM
    Appropriate name for a stock blog.
    02-16-20 01:29 PM
    What if it was BlackBerry and not TCL who brought the partnership to an end? What if BlackBerry notified TCL soon after the conversation below that BlackBerry intended to start making its own phones again? What if that is why the Key2 never got the big update? Could it be that th writing has been on the wall for outsourcing since: https://www.crackberry.com/will-blac...wn-smartphones
    If yes? What will that mean for us? Will BlackBerry build phones only for enterprise customers or for regular Joes too?
    I think the TCL statement can be read two or more ways. One TCL has decided to move on from BlackBerry. Two BBL is tired of doing any more Android OS for so little return and decided to end the agreement. Considering BBM's statement did not thank or mention BBL this maybe a possiblity. Could be a combination of factors. TCL probably decided to move on over a year ago and was content to let the agreement finish naturally.

BTW would be easy to tell if BlackBerry was getting back in the phone business. These forums would be covered with all the BBL job postings for mobile engineers and product people. Even if BBL was outsourcing the work they would be hiring 25-75 employees at a minimum.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-16-20 04:15 PM
    Both LG and HTC have expertise in burning a lot of money in mobile to no impact so they have that covered already.
    We that would make them both highly qualified to carry on the BlackBerry tradition.
    02-16-20 04:21 PM
    Considering BBM's statement did not thank or mention BBL this maybe a possiblity.
    "The support of BlackBerry Limited was an essential element to bringing devices like BlackBerry KEYone, Motion, KEY2 and KEY2 LE to life and we're proud to have partnered with them these past few years on those projects."
    Bbnivende likes this.
    02-16-20 04:23 PM
    Not really BackBerry but QNX which has been in the Automotive business long before BlackBerry tried to cripple them
    02-16-20 04:24 PM
    We that would make them both highly qualified to carry on the BlackBerry tradition.
    Or not make that same mistake.

Unless you are Apple, there is no money (profit) really in Smartphones
    02-16-20 04:26 PM
    My Pixel 3 was better than the TCL devices and it was crap. Screen broke just leaving it on a desk

Screen fell out of a Key One. Brings back memories of the 9320 Curve (cigarette packet to hold the battery in) dodgy lighting affecting the optical track pad?
    02-16-20 04:30 PM
    still no communication neither from BlackBerry Board nor a Twitte from JC
    Wait for the next update on Cylance or one of the other BBL enterprise software products. Otherwise I don't know what else they have to say.
    02-16-20 04:36 PM
    Wait for the next update on Cylance or one of the other BBL enterprise software products. Otherwise I don't know what else they have to say.
    They will be able to find the container of the past TCL devices shipped
    02-16-20 04:38 PM
    "The support of BlackBerry Limited was an essential element to bringing devices like BlackBerry KEYone, Motion, KEY2 and KEY2 LE to life and we're proud to have partnered with them these past few years on those projects."
    In their statement TCL went out of their way to thank many groups. BBL was not one in that list. I did not say they did not mention them. I said they did not thank them. I have written and been involved in many statements like this over the years. They are very carefully crafted and reviewed. In my opinion the TCL was clearly saying there was no love lost in the end between TCL and BBL. Pretty sure TCL is happy to no longer be involved with BBL.
    John Albert likes this.
    02-16-20 04:52 PM
    In their statement TCL went out of their way to thank many groups. BBL was not one in that list. I did not say they did not mention them. I said they did not thank them. I have written and been involved in many statements like this over the years. They are very carefully crafted and reviewed. In my opinion the TCL was clearly saying there was no love lost in the end between TCL and BBL. Pretty sure TCL is happy to no longer be involved with BBL.
    ....so were they caught trying to steal BB's underlying technology already, or did they steal it? Asking for a friend.
    02-17-20 04:31 PM
    ....so were they caught trying to steal BB's underlying technology already, or did they steal it? Asking for a friend.
    No, just not paying their bill, just like Optimus in India. BBL did not want to renegotiate the terms. Bitterness builds up and I am sure TCL is fine with ending the deal early. BBM is only a shell company today. Look at the LinkedIn profiles of the former BBM leaders. They all moved on almost a year ago.
    02-17-20 07:54 PM
    Or not make that same mistake.

Unless you are Apple, there is no money (profit) really in Smartphones
    Even they realize that not everybody upgrade their iphone every year and shifting into selling services/subscription instead.
    02-19-20 05:35 AM
    I don't nitpick minutia. I can only be thankful that TCL came along, extended the life of the brand a few years, and delivered 4 quality devices that were well-supported.

100% this! In the alternate timeline, BBMo doesn't exist and the last BlackBerry ever released isn't the red KEY2 but is instead the critically acclaimed and quintessential BlackBerry... DTEK60.
    Trouveur likes this.
    02-19-20 06:37 AM
    100% this! In the alternate timeline, BBMo doesn't exist and the last BlackBerry ever released isn't the red KEY2 but is instead the critically acclaimed and quintessential BlackBerry... DTEK60.
    +1

I have nothing negative to say about my KEYone other than the fact that it runs Android. If BlackBerry Mobile had established itself as a profitable business with 5%+ market share in the $450+ Android market, I think we would have seen some great devices.

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    02-19-20 06:43 AM
    +1

I have nothing negative to say about my KEYone other than the fact that it runs Android. If BlackBerry Mobile had established itself as a profitable business with 5%+ market share in the $450+ Android market, I think we would have seen some great devices.

5% would have given them 78 Million phones sold last year...
    or 5% of the overall market would be a userbase of 175 million...

Yeah either would have ensured BBMo would exist going forward..... or BlackBerry would drop TCL and get back into smartphones themselves.
    02-19-20 08:05 AM

Yeah either would have ensured BBMo would exist going forward..... or BlackBerry would drop TCL and get back into smartphones themselves.
    I said 5% of the $450+ segment for Android. That's not 78M last year!

02-19-20 09:46 AM

What’s the question again?
    02-19-20 05:03 PM
    I wouldn't write off BlackBerry in totality, although it is almost dead. I still see a lot of potential for BlackBerry. let's face it, Cyber security is a very critical area now than it has ever been. There are many instances of big corporations collecting data without user permission and who knows what is going on in corporate espionage!
    I do believe that there will be a point of time where businesses will realize that secure communication is very critical (I am against BYOD since it is difficult to administer security). I feel that it would be a great bargain if BlackBerry is about to introduce their proprietary operating system which is capable of secure communication, collaborative working, cloud integration with enterprise softwares and come at a reasonable price. I don't think businesses would skimp on $250-300 if the phone actually works for the usage. BlackBerry has the potential to become something like the ThinkPad which any corporate would swear by. again, the success factor would be the pricing and BlackBerry would be willing to invest further only if they are seeing some profits. So it is a deadlock as of now. We need to observe how data security and privacy is heading towards for the next couple of years
    02-27-20 02:09 PM
    I wouldn't write off BlackBerry in totality, although it is almost dead. I still see a lot of potential for BlackBerry. let's face it, Cyber security is a very critical area now than it has ever been. There are many instances of big corporations collecting data without user permission and who knows what is going on in corporate espionage!
    I do believe that there will be a point of time where businesses will realize that secure communication is very critical (I am against BYOD since it is difficult to administer security). I feel that it would be a great bargain if BlackBerry is about to introduce their proprietary operating system which is capable of secure communication, collaborative working, cloud integration with enterprise softwares and come at a reasonable price. I don't think businesses would skimp on $250-300 if the phone actually works for the usage. BlackBerry has the potential to become something like the ThinkPad which any corporate would swear by. again, the success factor would be the pricing and BlackBerry would be willing to invest further only if they are seeing some profits. So it is a deadlock as of now. We need to observe how data security and privacy is heading towards for the next couple of years
    No one is writing off BlackBerry.

They are deep into delivering cross-platform solutions for enterprise end-point security.

Devices are not part of the mix, and BlackBerry has no interest in that. Enterprise is perfectly happy with managed iOS and Knox devices.
    02-27-20 02:52 PM
    I don't see that much push back to BYOD.... what's not secure about containerized data managed by a UEM?

But say if you don't like BYOD... what's not secure about an Samsung or an iPhone that has been locked down by an UEM? What would BB10 get you that those don't? BB10 did nothing to secure phone calls, texting or email. And BBM back then was far from the most secure messaing solution.
    02-27-20 03:40 PM
    What I meant was Blackberry as a hardware manufacturing company like they did before. They have the software when it comes to data security, and artificial intelligence and loads of patents. So it makes more sense for them to come back to mobile hardware market to give a total business solution (something like what IBM does) . As a matter of fact, the Mission statement of Blackberry reads "To be the world’s leading provider of end-to-end mobility solutions that are the most secure and trusted." That end isn't complete without entering the hardware market. The financials did not permit blackberry to focus on hardware, but if the do well, I see re-entering the hardware market as a natural process.
    I am not sure of how effective Knox or iOS devices really are. I mean at the end of the day, anonymous data does gets collected in android. I don't know how thing really are when it comes to this issues and what is being done with the data. I am being very skeptical these days with respect to data security and privacy. And even for general usage for a consumer (say for something like online banking) , a secure device is always preferred.
    02-27-20 05:03 PM
118 ... 2345