Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
    Just like a few of you here, I have noticed that when making video calls via WhatsApp, Duo or BBM, I could sometimes barely make myself heard by the other party. Average to terrible sound depending on the app. So I got in touch with BlackBerry Support (France) and they instructed me to conduct a few tests to check the quality of the microphone that's way up on the phone : *#2686# and 'Loop for sec mic test' and making a short video clip. Both tests failed. The sound from the video is barely audible for instance even when the volume is turned way up. So I was instructed to send my phone to their repair center. A poster in a related thread told me I shouldn't bother sending it back since it's very likely to be a software problem. I said as much to my BlackBerry Mobile contact but he doesn't seem to know anything about that and he insists I should send it for repair. The responses other people here got ranged from 'clean up your microphones' to 'it's not us it's them (WhatsApp and co). At least I got a more satisfying answer.

To put it simply, I just don't know what to do.

If it's a software problem, sending the phone is indeed pointless. That's a month without it, getting it back - or a replacement - and it will still be plagued with the same problem. At the same time, it may very well be hardware, I have no idea, and I shouldn't keep using a phone that's defective. Plus I rely a lot on video calls this year and having to hear the other parties tell me that they've got a hard time hearing me IS a pain.

That's my dilemma. Should I just put up with annoyingly bad video calls and enjoy my otherwise perfectly fine unit or send it back hoping it's a hardware problem that may hopefully be fixed? Do some of you here know for a fact that it is software-related and I should just put with it and stop whining hoping a fix might come our way some day?
    Last edited by Laramie50; 08-25-18 at 03:03 AM.
    08-25-18 02:22 AM
    As I indicated on another post this is also a problem on my Key2. It's not fit for purpose. As it happens, I also have a Keyone (the one that has the screen taped down) that does not suffer this problem so I use it for VCs. The brutal truth is that TCL handsets are sub-optimal. At least those of us who want a PKB have been given a couple of years grace. No illusions my friends. This is the long goodbye.
    08-25-18 03:01 AM
    No problems with BBM Video sound here. However, volume through headphones is waaaaaay too low, I almost can't hear my music.
    08-25-18 03:14 AM
    As I indicated on another post this is also a problem on my Key2. It's not fit for purpose. As it happens, I also have a Keyone (the one that has the screen taped down) that does not suffer this problem so I use it for VCs. The brutal truth is that TCL handsets are sub-optimal. At least those of us who want a PKB have been given a couple of years grace. No illusions my friends. This is the long goodbye.
    I agree. I don't care about my phone not having all the bells and whistles that other similarly-priced phones have. But I do care about what is offered working as intended. Or at least getting some kind of communication from BBMo: working on it, expect a fix soon. Or not guilty, talk to the app people. I'm a reasonable guy but I need to know.
    08-25-18 03:25 AM
    I agree. I don't care about my phone not having all the bells and whistles that other similarly-priced phones have. But I do care about what is offered working as intended. Or at least getting some kind of communication from BBMo: working on it, expect a fix soon. Or not guilty, talk to the app people. I'm a reasonable guy but I need to know.
    Si. Alas, as we are unswerving demonstrating here, it is unlikely that when we don't even register in the market place that we will be able to access handsets that are the personification of perfection. I don't have time to return and replace. So I soldier on, hoping that some of the problems are due to my technical ignorance and that on these forums I will learn a trick or three to resolve the problem. Likewise I see most of the bells and whistles as largely quite silly features of little consequence to a real working day. I'm about to purchase another Key2 so I guess I'll soon fine out if the problems are truly systemic. Every forward. :-)
    08-25-18 03:49 AM
    Just like a few of you here, I have noticed that when making video calls via WhatsApp, Duo or BBM, I could sometimes barely make myself heard by the other party. Average to terrible sound depending on the app. So I got in touch with BlackBerry Support (France) and they instructed me to conduct a few tests to check the quality of the microphone that's way up on the phone : *#2686# and 'Loop for sec mic test' and making a short video clip. Both tests failed. The sound from the video is barely audible for instance even when the volume is turned way up. So I was instructed to send my phone to their repair center. A poster in a related thread told me I shouldn't bother sending it back since it's very likely to be a software problem. I said as much to my BlackBerry Mobile contact but he doesn't seem to know anything about that and he insists I should send it for repair. The responses other people here got ranged from 'clean up your microphones' to 'it's not us it's them (WhatsApp and co). At least I got a more satisfying answer.

To put it simply, I just don't know what to do.

If it's a software problem, sending the phone is indeed pointless. That's a month without it, getting it back - or a replacement - and it will still be plagued with the same problem. At the same time, it may very well be hardware, I have no idea, and I shouldn't keep using a phone that's defective. Plus I rely a lot on video calls this year and having to hear the other parties tell me that they've got a hard time hearing me IS a pain.

That's my dilemma. Should I just put up with annoyingly bad video calls and enjoy my otherwise perfectly fine unit or send it back hoping it's a hardware problem that may hopefully be fixed? Do some of you here know for a fact that it is software-related and I should just put with it and stop whining hoping a fix might come our way some day?
    If it was me I would go ahead and send it in. I keep a backup phone around just for cases like this. I have 0 problems with my mic and the fact that your hardware test failed indicates that it is likely a hardware issue.

So my suggestion, send it in like they requested and let them do the repair.
    08-25-18 06:25 AM
    Send it in and let them fix it. Your phone is not working as intended. This is a no-brainer.
    08-25-18 12:15 PM
    I have done a few Whatsapp video calls and did not experience any issues. One time the other party couldn't hear me for the first couple of seconds and it had me nervous, but they could hear me fine after that.
    08-25-18 01:29 PM