(Actually, @LiamQ, I may have been wrong about WebViews. I think it's just that it's most noticeable and most annoying in Gmail, which is by far my most frequently used app.

I was able just now to reproduce the issue in the search box of Device Settings (swipe down from top > settings cog > search box): When I typed [a] [space] [shift] [a] [space] [shift] ... repeatedly into the search box, I got a A A a A A A A A A a a a a A. So it doesn't seem to be tied to any particular app, since it happens in a basic OS function as well.
    01-16-19 04:43 PM
    @LiamQ : Have you still not been able to reproduce the issue? (Remember, it happens when I type quickly -- I always type quickly -- and I hit Space, then Shift, then another letter. And remember this appears to be limited to Key2, and I cannot reproduce it myself on the Q10 that I still have, and it never happened on my old PRIV or KeyOne or any of my older traditional BlackBerry devices.)

I was disappointed to see that the problem still hasn't been fixed in the January update, which I received OTA last night. How can a problem with the keyboard be given so little attention by BlackBerry? Since the keyboard is the ONLY reason any of us keeps buying BlackBerry devices, you'd think the keyboard not working properly would get lots of focus here.
    01-31-19 12:34 PM
    Sorry, I haven't been able to reproduce it.
    01-31-19 12:40 PM
    Thanks, @LiamQ, for the reply. Do you have any ideas why this might be happening to me (and at least one other person on this thread) but not to you or your team? Could it be caused by other apps? Could it be a physical issue with the keyboard switches? Could it be a PRD-specific issue? Anything else?

It's real, and it's very disruptive to my workflow. If I'm going to look like an idiot with improperly capitalized email messages, I may as well not have a BlackBerry. Can I assume, then, that this will never go away and that I'll never be able to type properly on my Key2?
    01-31-19 12:46 PM
    Thanks, @LiamQ, for the reply. Do you have any ideas why this might be happening to me (and at least one other person on this thread) but not to you or your team? Could it be caused by other apps? Could it be a physical issue with the keyboard switches? Could it be a PRD-specific issue? Anything else?

It's real, and it's very disruptive to my workflow. If I'm going to look like an idiot with improperly capitalized email messages, I may as well not have a BlackBerry. Can I assume, then, that this will never go away and that I'll never be able to type properly on my Key2?
    Have you tried to send a bug report to Blackberry for them to fix your issue? They've fixed an issue that I had with the hub right after sending them a bug report.
    03-21-19 06:32 PM
    Have you tried to send a bug report to Blackberry for them to fix your issue? They've fixed an issue that I had with the hub right after sending them a bug report.
    Yes, of course. After around 6 months of "our engineers are looking into this," their final answers were: "We cannot reproduce the problem" and, kind of, "You must be doing something wrong because our product is perfect."
    04-14-19 09:48 AM
    Folks, today I received what was described as Blackberry Mobile's "final answer" to this issue. Tech support supervisor Andrea M. said, "This is a glitch. It is not happening more than 85% of the time, so Blackberry will not be able to correct it because it is an expected glitch due to usage and fast typing."

I read the quote back to Andrea M., and she confirmed what she said and added, "This [statement] has been authorized." She also told me that they have been able to reproduce the issue on "prototype" devices as well on a production device used by "Laura, who everybody knows is a really fast typer" but that because it only happens sometimes and not all the time, it's not going to be fixed.

In other words, if a Blackberry keyboard fails to capitalize letters less than "85% of the time," that's seen by Blackberry as a reasonable variance that does not require a fix.

Why pay a premium for a device with a keyboard when the manufacturer thinks it's okay if the keyboard doesn't work properly 15% of the time? Why pay extra for the reliability of a physical keyboard when the manufacturer says, essentially, if you type too much or type too fast, then we're not responsible if the keyboard can't keep up with you?

Really??? @LiamQ or others, do you have anything to say here for your employer?

This Key2 will obviously be my last Blackberry device. RIP.
    07-18-19 03:52 PM
    Folks, today I received what was described as Blackberry Mobile's "final answer" to this issue. Tech support supervisor Andrea M. said, "This is a glitch. It is not happening more than 85% of the time, so Blackberry will not be able to correct it because it is an expected glitch due to usage and fast typing."

I read the quote back to Andrea M., and she confirmed what she said and added, "This [statement] has been authorized." She also told me that they have been able to reproduce the issue on "prototype" devices as well on a production device used by "Laura, who everybody knows is a really fast typer" but that because it only happens sometimes and not all the time, it's not going to be fixed.

In other words, if a Blackberry keyboard fails to capitalize letters less than "85% of the time," that's seen by Blackberry as a reasonable variance that does not require a fix.

Why pay a premium for a device with a keyboard when the manufacturer thinks it's okay if the keyboard doesn't work properly 15% of the time? Why pay extra for the reliability of a physical keyboard when the manufacturer says, essentially, if you type too much or type too fast, then we're not responsible if the keyboard can't keep up with you?

Really??? @LiamQ or others, do you have anything to say here for your employer?

This Key2 will obviously be my last Blackberry device. RIP.
    Never had that issue but I'm sure it must be frustrating to hear that directly from them.

I would have expected him to suggest that you RMA exchange your device
    07-18-19 03:59 PM
    Never had that issue but I'm sure it must be frustrating to hear that directly from them.

I would have expected him to suggest that you RMA exchange your device
    Actually, that already happened. The replacement device has the same problem, which suggests that it's a software/firmware issue (or perhaps a design issue) and not a one-off hardware flaw.
    07-18-19 04:01 PM
    Same bug here.
    07-19-19 12:13 PM
    I have the same issue.

Thing is, the problem wasn't always there. I had the bad space bar problem for about a year, then one day, an update fixed it. But now, the loss of the Shift key (sticking for one letter) is 50%. I have all of the auto features turned off and use the physical keyboard exclusively. I only run just a couple of apps as well.

But I have noticed that if you double tap the space bar (like after a sentence) and hit Shift immediately afterwards, the chances are good the Shift won't stick for the next letter. I too type fast and I don't like my emails being sent without proper capitalization. And paid a premium for this device.

I am happy with the phone otherwise, but one day, this quirk is going to make me toss this phone.
    09-21-21 10:12 AM
    I have the same issue.

Thing is, the problem wasn't always there. I had the bad space bar problem for about a year, then one day, an update fixed it. But now, the loss of the Shift key (sticking for one letter) is 50%. I have all of the auto features turned off and use the physical keyboard exclusively. I only run just a couple of apps as well.

But I have noticed that if you double tap the space bar (like after a sentence) and hit Shift immediately afterwards, the chances are good the Shift won't stick for the next letter. I too type fast and I don't like my emails being sent without proper capitalization. And paid a premium for this device.

I am happy with the phone otherwise, but one day, this quirk is going to make me toss this phone.
    At this point it's most likely a hardware issue.... you'll have to decide if its worth ordering a new keyboard. Which Boon can tell you isn't always going to be a full fix....
    09-21-21 01:44 PM
    I did more testing. It is related to the space bar me thinks.

Simple test - Open up a Google search window. Press the shift key once and the indicator will show a hollow up arrow. Press any key. You should get a capital letter and the Shift arrow indicator will disappear. Press the Shift key again and the arrow comes back.

Now press a letter with your right thumb and the Shift key with your left as quickly as you can and as many times as you can. You should get all capital letters and the indicator should stay lit.

To discover mine and the OP's problem, do the same thing except with the spacebar. You will notice, depending on your speed, that the indicator will sometimes blink quickly and go off.

I believe it is related to the keybounce routine in the firmware for the physical keyboard. The spacebar has two buttons under the plastic that relay the status to the system. Between the two switches and the Shift is where the problem lies. I'm guessing there is more keybounce delay (milliseconds) for the spacebar to allow both switches to clear that is adding time and getting in the way of properly detecting (or keeping active ) the Shift sense. Just a thought...

I tried to get my wife to exhibit the behavior, but she doesn't press the buttons quick enough - so she would never see the problem.

But for the fast typers in the group, it is super annoying. Try it and see (or type slower).
    09-21-21 09:30 PM
    I did more testing. It is related to the space bar me thinks.

Simple test - Open up a Google search window. Press the shift key once and the indicator will show a hollow up arrow. Press any key. You should get a capital letter and the Shift arrow indicator will disappear. Press the Shift key again and the arrow comes back.

Now press a letter with your right thumb and the Shift key with your left as quickly as you can and as many times as you can. You should get all capital letters and the indicator should stay lit.

To discover mine and the OP's problem, do the same thing except with the spacebar. You will notice, depending on your speed, that the indicator will sometimes blink quickly and go off.

I believe it is related to the keybounce routine in the firmware for the physical keyboard. The spacebar has two buttons under the plastic that relay the status to the system. Between the two switches and the Shift is where the problem lies. I'm guessing there is more keybounce delay (milliseconds) for the spacebar to allow both switches to clear that is adding time and getting in the way of properly detecting (or keeping active ) the Shift sense. Just a thought...

I tried to get my wife to exhibit the behavior, but she doesn't press the buttons quick enough - so she would never see the problem.

But for the fast typers in the group, it is super annoying. Try it and see (or type slower).
    Well at this point you aren't getting any more software fixes.....

If it's not something that can be fixed by replacing the keyboard... it's something you have to learn to live with.
    09-22-21 08:29 AM
39 12