"There is also another side to this story, which is typing technique. No one wants to be told their style could be leading to an issue of course...especially when it "worked fine before"...but it's possible the "hoverers" may need to prepare themselves to think outside the box with this keyboard."

I know my style of typing is activating cursor mode, if the keyboard sensitivity can't be dialed in, I'd like to disable it and have cursor mode available in the BB text editing toolbar activate cursor mode on the PKB keyboard. One of the advantages of a PKB is not having to lift you thumbs off the keys and slide them around, feeling the keys, and know you are on the key you want by feel. This has always been the advantage with BB PKB's.
    TheBond likes this.
    09-30-18 12:01 PM
    .....that the replacement is a new phone, not a refurbished phone......I still doubt a replacement will be the cure-all....
    Replacement devices are refurbished. I don't think they can send a new device (not sure why) but I do think that "refurbished" is the term they use when communicating with consumers while the devices are not necessarily refurbished, if that make sense. Basically they can't tell whether the replacement device was used or not; they must have a replacement device inventory from which they pull and actual refurbished devices must go back into the same inventory.

As for whether a replacement is going to be a cure all solution or not, we will have to wait and see. I am getting a replacement too as you know but if @panopticon post above has anything to do with what is actually happening then this would be the end of the story and I can't help but wonder if a screen protector that basically raises the screen flush with the keys will solve the problem....
    09-30-18 12:14 PM
    There is also another side to this story, which is typing technique....
    Interesting theory. That being said, a double tap is a double tap; a swipe down is a swipe down. Definitive gestures.

The point is that if "you are holding it wrong" apply here simply because of the hardware design then the only thing this theory reveal is the cause (which is uber important!) and from here on out its down to BlackBerry to adjust the software.

If @Smokeaire and my replacement devices won't have an issue then this theory doesn't apply but if it does then it might and we'll have to test if a screen protector that is thick enough to become flush with the keys will solve the issue. For me, it only happens when my thumbs hover on they keys, not the screen or not necessarily exchanging between the screen and the keys.
    09-30-18 12:27 PM
    I know my style of typing is activating cursor mode, if the keyboard sensitivity can't be dialed in, I'd like to disable it and have cursor mode available in the BB text editing toolbar activate cursor mode on the PKB keyboard. One of the advantages of a PKB is not having to lift you thumbs off the keys and slide them around, feeling the keys, and know you are on the key you want by feel. This has always been the advantage with BB PKB's.
    This similar to the granular gesture control we suggested as a solution in case this issue is a result of typing style; I am told that coding would be too involved and it's not an option.

I agree with you that hovering is a typing style on physical and keyboard. Like you said, this is how we identify the location of the keys.
    09-30-18 01:08 PM
    That being said, a double tap is a double tap; a swipe down is a swipe down. Definitive gestures.
    It is and it isn't. If I press a Classic spacebar and Key2 spacebar for example, with exactly the same pressure, that key might engage and type a space on one and not the other. That can even happen between different devices from the same model (although admittedly, it *shouldn't*). So keyboard design, typing style, and even consistency of the manufacturer can weigh before we even begin to consider software.

IMHO I would suggest to TCL they get the bugs in their production line tolerances ironed out before they even try to address the software issues. A slight adjustment to address one relatively minor issue on certain devices could prove disastrous...
    09-30-18 02:32 PM
    .......even consistency of the manufacturer can weigh before we even begin to consider software.

IMHO I would suggest to TCL they get the bugs in their production line tolerances ironed out before they even try to address the software issues. A slight adjustment to address one relatively minor issue on certain devices could prove disastrous...
    In that case I strongly advise you give a good read to this thread (link below) because for all we know (or better yet, just learned), the KEY² is NOT only manufactured by TCL:

/blackberry-key2-f472/phone-hong-kong-1156935/
    09-30-18 02:45 PM
    Replacement devices are refurbished. I don't think they can send a new device (not sure why) but I do think that "refurbished" is the term they use when communicating with consumers while the devices are not necessarily refurbished, if that make sense. Basically they can't tell whether the replacement device was used or not; they must have a replacement device inventory from which they pull and actual refurbished devices must go back into the same inventory.

As for whether a replacement is going to be a cure all solution or not, we will have to wait and see. I am getting a replacement too as you know but if @panopticon post above has anything to do with what is actually happening then this would be the end of the story and I can't help but wonder if a screen protector that basically raises the screen flush with the keys will solve the problem....
    If in fact the replacement phones are actually "refurbished" then it doesn't make sense for me to go through this process since my keyboard has been replaced.
    I'll have to call Irai and get it clarified.
    09-30-18 02:48 PM
    If in fact the replacement phones are actually "refurbished" then it doesn't make sense for me to go through this process since my keyboard has been replaced.
    I'll have to call Irai and get it clarified.
    I think you still need to go for it because the keyboard itself is not necessarily the issue. Maybe it's a micro connection between the keyboard and the motherboard?
    09-30-18 02:50 PM
    In that case I strongly advise you give a good read to this thread (link below) because for all we know (or better yet, just learned), the KEY² is NOT only manufactured by TCL:

/blackberry-key2-f472/phone-hong-kong-1156935/
    Ha ha, what a gong show this is...this can't be serious? So who has the loose spacebars - Future Power or TCL? Who forgot the glue? Who ran out of red polycarbonate? LMAO
    RK_BB likes this.
    09-30-18 02:56 PM
    Ha ha, what a gong show this is...this can't be serious? So who has the loose spacebars - Future Power or TCL? Who forgot the glue? Who ran out of red polycarbonate? LMAO
    Ignore it. Most likely a wording error on support's internal website.
    09-30-18 03:22 PM
    Ignore it. Most likely a wording error on support's internal website.
    Time to hire some English speaking tech support...I've seen some interesting Chinese to English translations for sure. Restaurant names come to mind. I'll take the Fu King rice please. Lol.
    09-30-18 03:28 PM

What I find interesting is when you first went for a replacement BBMo put a full price hold on your credit card for a "refurbished" phone. When I received my "repaired" phone back one of the paper work included was a Custom Declared Value form in the label envelope with declared value of $300. My phone was classified as "refurbished" not repaired.
    So I guess I can always argue that the credit hold should be $300, not full price.
    10-01-18 05:20 AM
    My replacement phone will be here this Thursday. Hopefully early enough to setup and test that day. If not it will more than likely be Saturday I'll be reporting back here. First thing will be to test without the Beta keyboard software, then with.
    10-01-18 01:00 PM
    My replacement phone will be here this Thursday
    That's pretty remarkable given my last ticket still has no movement despite opening it after you; let's hope I am not entering another cycle of delay.
    10-01-18 04:08 PM
    That's pretty remarkable given my last ticket still has no movement despite opening it after you; let's hope I am not entering another cycle of delay.
    I promised them cookies.
    10-01-18 04:57 PM
    Now to be serious. Actually after reading your experience I was surprised how quickly it shipped. You opened your ticket after me? I opened mine at 11:30 Central time. Maybe it is the emails Irai and I have been sending back and forth had something to do with it.
    My phone is coming from Illinois to Missouri; it's a 8 hour drive so FedEx Ground is usually next day or two.
    10-01-18 05:03 PM
    It’s the special notations the reps have placed in the comments section of user profile.......LOL
    10-01-18 05:14 PM
    It’s the special notations the reps have placed in the comments section of user profile.......LOL
    They like cookies.
    10-01-18 05:17 PM
    They like cookies.
    I like cookies, however, sometimes even cookies won’t compensate for comments......... unless they’re really awesome cookies......
    10-01-18 05:22 PM
    I like cookies, however, sometimes even cookies won’t compensate for comments......... unless they’re really awesome cookies......
    It could be because I already had my keyboard replaced to solve this issue. It didn't so a replacement is the next step.
    I believe they are serious about finding the root of this evil.
    10-01-18 05:50 PM
    I believe they are serious about finding the root of this evil.
    I think so too!
    10-01-18 07:35 PM
    I just received a reply from Blackberry Mobil Care, you are not going to believe this:

"Hello Charles,

Thank you for your patience. We have been informed that this is how the feature it is. You are really not just pressing the space key your finger it accidentally rubbing on the letters above the spacebar.

Regards,

Irai R.

BlackBerry Mobile Care"

BELOW IS MY RESPONES:

"Irai,

This a totally unacceptable answer.

First off this doesn't occur at all on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ. It never has.

Second, as I'm typing this, with my thumb resting solely on the space key, not touching any other key the cursor mode flickers rapidly on and off. I'm sure this NOT an intended feature.

This mode should only be activated by a definitive double tap, not just a casual brushing of the keys. There is an issue either with the build of the physical keyboard or the software, perhaps a sensitivity issue. Either way it is a flaw in the Key² and needs to be addressed, either by a concerted effort to find the origin and fix it or offer a full refund for a defective phone (no matter what vendor it was purchased from).

The classic Apple answer "you're holding it wrong" just doesn't fly.

Chuck"
    I saved myself the headache and just disabled the swipe gestures!! It's not acceptable but at least it's no longer an issue. Win some lose some this just may be my last bbmo device!
    10-01-18 07:49 PM
    I saved myself the headache and just disabled the swipe gestures!! It's not acceptable but at least it's no longer an issue. Win some lose some this just may be my last bbmo device!
    And while you were at it, did you also ask BlackBerry Mobile to send you a $200 check to cover for the difference between the KEY² to the LE?

Like you said, it's unacceptable and we all deserve to receive the product we paid for or some kind of remedy in case that's impossible.

I hear ya though
    anon(10387168) likes this.
    10-01-18 08:10 PM
    So how do you disable swipe gestures?
    10-01-18 08:15 PM
    I agree 100%. Not knowing exactly how many have actually submitted issue reports I have to thank all who have. Everyone who has posted in this thread has contributed to the BBMo investigation of this issue and hopefully the resolution.
    As it is now I'm leaning to getting a replacement Key² and contributing my original one to the autopsy. A sacrifice worth making for the cause. May a BBMo "Ducky" find the answer.
    OK, how do I report an issue to them? I have both the spacebar problem, the sym downswipe problem and the odd double character problem from what I presumed was finger sliding.
    10-01-18 08:18 PM
2,521 ... 89101112 ...