It's not occurring when swiping, it's occurring while I'm typing a text, just happened while I was typing this text.

Used to be pervasive for me, seemed have been fixed somewhere around the new year. Now it's coming back for me with a vengeance.

Maybe I'm holding the phone wrong again
    I can consistently replicate this when I drag my finger downward in a swiping gesture and lift it on the bottom row of keys. That should NOT happen.
    05-14-19 08:23 PM
    I can consistently replicate this when I drag my finger downward in a swiping gesture and lift it on the bottom row of keys. That should NOT happen.
    Hmmm, a swipe down is meant to invoke the symbol screen, isn't it? Or am I misunderstanding?
    05-14-19 08:58 PM
    Hmmm, a swipe down is meant to invoke the symbol screen, isn't it? Or am I misunderstanding?
    Swipe down brings up the SYM VKB. I too sometimes get the Sym when typing and at times have a symbol inserted directly from a key press. Should not happen. Has gotten much better, however, still a little ways to go.
    05-14-19 10:07 PM
    Swipe down brings up the SYM VKB. I too sometimes get the Sym when typing and at times have a symbol inserted directly from a key press. Should not happen. Has gotten much better, however, still a little ways to go.
    The symbol screen and cursor issues have been much better for me too until the last few days. Now, and for me, the symbol screen has become a problem again, but not so the cursor issue.
    05-14-19 10:41 PM
    The symbol screen and cursor issues have been much better for me too until the last few days. Now, and for me, the symbol screen has become a problem again, but not so the cursor issue.
    Same. Hopefully a fix is on the way. They are working on it! Cheers,
    05-14-19 10:43 PM
    Isn't that exactly what SHOULD happen, considering a swipe down is the shortcut to actually bring up the symbol keyboard? Are you saying you wish this shortcut didn't exist, or are you unaware of it? I think it's pretty convenient and find myself swiping to the sym vkb quite often on purpose.
    05-14-19 10:44 PM
    Isn't that exactly what SHOULD happen, considering a swipe down is the shortcut to actually bring up the symbol keyboard? Are you saying you wish this shortcut didn't exist, or are you unaware of it? I think it's pretty convenient and find myself swiping to the sym vkb quite often on purpose.
    I'm saying two things - one, it is annoying because it gets triggered too often and too easily, and secondly, why do we need to trigger it with a gesture when there is already a button for it? This makes absolutely no sense to me. I admit, I have been away from the pkb for a while so perhaps I forgot about this "feature". I don't see any purpose for a swipe down gesture. It's extraneous.

I also find it wasteful having to press the sym button twice to cancel out of the vkb; I would prefer once in, once out, and select the toggle to the second sym on the screen only, if required.
    05-14-19 10:52 PM
    I'm saying two things - one, it is annoying because it gets triggered too often and too easily, and secondly, why do we need to trigger it with a gesture when there is already a button for it? This makes absolutely no sense to me. I admit, I have been away from the pkb for a while so perhaps I forgot about this "feature". I don't see any purpose for a swipe down gesture. It's extraneous.

I also find it wasteful having to press the sym button twice to cancel out of the vkb; I would prefer once in, once out, and select the toggle to the second sym on the screen only, if required.
    A gesture for a button that already exists, while redundant, is still convenient. It's the same reason one can choose to scroll by touching the screen or scrolling with the keyboard. I like having more than one way to do things. Although I agree that it's irritating when the symbol screen pops up inadvertently. For what it's worth (when this feature works correctly most of the time) it's super convenient to swipe down once, press the physical key that corresponds to the on screen symbol I want, and then it closes itself. Super fast and convenient once you memorize the physical keys for your most used symbols.
    05-14-19 11:14 PM
    A gesture for a button that already exists, while redundant, is still convenient. It's the same reason one can choose to scroll by touching the screen or scrolling with the keyboard. I like having more than one way to do things. Although I agree that it's irritating when the symbol screen pops up inadvertently. For what it's worth (when this feature works correctly most of the time) it's super convenient to swipe down once, press the physical key that corresponds to the on screen symbol I want, and then it closes itself. Super fast and convenient once you memorize the physical keys for your most used symbols.
    It is not at all convenient when you have a highly effected PKB that is Hyper sensitive and is constantly triggering the SYM VKB mid stride while typing. Your unit may be less sensitive than ours, however if the fix entails disabling down swipe for SYM VKB then the Key press for it would do just fine. Redundancy is a luxury, not a necessity!
    Thinkbusiness likes this.
    05-15-19 12:01 AM
    it's super convenient to swipe down , press the physical key that corresponds to the on screen symbol I want, and then it closes itself.
    This I could see this as a reason to keep an extra press for the sym key - to toggle to the second page of sym characters. Which works great when in the middle of typing and you're actually intending to use it...not so great when the menu pops up by accident. I still can't see having to toggle to the second page of the sym menu being used often enough to necessitate it. I would rather see a second press cancel out of the menu. Personal preference, perhaps.

And none of the above justifies the extraneous downswipe to sym menu - that spends most of its time cluttering my workspace with an already rarely used menu, IMHO.
    Last edited by dendron01; 05-15-19 at 09:31 AM.
    05-15-19 07:22 AM
    As long as a feature causes productivity issues and frustration because it's not working flawlessly or because for certain typing styles it just creates unwanted behavior.

We should always factor in that different people have different ways of interaction on a PKB.

Furthermore there is a perfect solution on the PKB itself. I believe it's actually a wise decision to remove the feature until the issue is resolved entirely.

The best solution in my opinion would be to let the user make the decision by providing an option to switch on or off this functionality in the settings of the BlackBerry keyboard app.

Since there is a perfect and fast way to voluntarily access the SYM screen I see no added value to keep the gesture based method in unless there is a way to turn it on/off in the settings.
    TheBond and anon(10387168) like this.
    05-17-19 02:39 AM
    As long as a feature causes productivity issues and frustration because it's not working flawlessly or because for certain typing styles it just creates unwanted behavior.

We should always factor in that different people have different ways of interaction on a PKB.

Furthermore there is a perfect solution on the PKB itself. I believe it's actually a wise decision to remove the feature until the issue is resolved entirely.

The best solution in my opinion would be to let the user make the decision by providing an option to switch on or off this functionality in the settings of the BlackBerry keyboard app.

Since there is a perfect and fast way to voluntarily access the SYM screen I see no added value to keep the gesture based method in unless there is a way to turn it on/off in the settings.
    Been saying that for ages. My understanding was that this was not possible. Giving us option to allow certain aspects of keyboard swiping would be the easiest way to solve this issue altogether.
    05-17-19 03:27 PM
    It was a year this week that I purchased my Black Edition KEY2 transitioning from my PRIV after 3 years. Sadly I'm still having to deal with the defective/flawed KEY2 physical keyboard... 😰

TCL/BlackBerry Mobile did me and others a tremendous disservice by selling us a defective device. It is very doubtful I will last another 2 years with my KEY2 unfortunately.

Bob
    10-19-19 07:25 PM
    It was a year this week that I purchased my Black Edition KEY2 transitioning from my PRIV after 3 years. Sadly I'm still having to deal with the defective/flawed KEY2 physical keyboard...

TCL/BlackBerry Mobile did me and others a tremendous disservice by selling us a defective device. It is very doubtful I will last another 2 years with my KEY2 unfortunately.

Bob
    Could the demise of BlackBerry phones World Wide have something to do with the PKB issue that we MEGA raised in this thread and which was never fully addressed? Just reminiscing on good times and what could have been!
    10-19-19 07:34 PM
    Could the demise of BlackBerry phones World Wide have something to do with the PKB issue...?
    No.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    10-20-19 10:36 AM
    Has this issue been mainly resolved now? Or are there KEY2 users that are still experiencing this issue?
    02-02-20 10:36 PM
    Has this issue been mainly resolved now? Or are there KEY2 users that are still experiencing this issue?
    Not resolved and likely never will be. An irreparable birth defect...
    02-02-20 10:40 PM
    Not resolved and likely never will be. An irreparable birth defect...
    Are you serious? Surely there must be KEY2 users out there that don't have this cursor issue. I know, however, that when I briefly had the KEY2, I also had the cursor glitch and it was downright annoying. I'm using an LE now.
    the_boon likes this.
    02-02-20 10:46 PM
    Are you serious? Surely there must be KEY2 users out there that don't have this cursor issue. I know, however, that when I briefly had the KEY2, I also had the cursor glitch and it was downright annoying. I'm using an LE now.
    Every KEY2 device has it. I can easily replicate it; some people might tell you they don't have it but I am willing to put my money that their device is just as defected as the next, they perhaps type in such way that the defect isn't aggravated....
    TheBond and anon(10387168) like this.
    02-02-20 10:50 PM
    Well, that's just a huge disappointment then in BlackBerry Mobile (perhaps not surprisingly so). I last used a KEY2 in January of 2019 for about a month and definitely remember the aggravation of typing and then the cursor randomly popping up and going haywire. I guess I'll stick to my LE then, no sense in paying for a capacitive keyboard only to have to turn it off.
    02-02-20 10:54 PM
    This thread seems like a lifetime ago! When our hopes and dreams were reluctantly handed over to a Chinese based Manufacturer and we had faith that deficiencies in the products would be resolved . I supported them with the K1 and K2! I did my part and was ultimately disappointed! Like this thread, mine being the second post, all is now done! The outcome, not what we hoped for by any means, but unfortunately inevitable! RIP BlackBerry! We will miss you!

Posted via my Passport
    Bob80220 and TheBond like this.
    02-03-20 08:18 PM
2,521 ... 99100101