Gentlemen, these efforts are valiant and you have my full respect for the effort in order to help our community as a whole. Well done!
    03-16-19 07:12 PM
    I should try that!!
    At a certain point it just popped up as an idea. Swiping with your fingers must at some point leave bits of old skin and dust between the keys. And my dad who recently passed away always had one of these cans on his desk to clear away dust particles (he was an electronics engineer and I have seen him using these air cans at lot even when I was still a kid)

So there I tried it myself and the swiping has been perfect for the last 4 messages now.

Not one extra swipe needed. Amazing.

This must have something to do with it all.
    03-16-19 07:18 PM
    At a certain point it just popped up as an idea. Swiping with your fingers must at some point leave bits of old skin and dust between the keys. And my dad who recently passed away always had one of these cans on his desk to clear away dust particles (he was an electronics engineer and I have seen him using these air cans at lot even when I was still a kid)

So there I tried it myself and the swiping has been perfect for the last 4 messages now.

Sorry to hear about your dad.
    03-16-19 07:35 PM
    Not necessarily. Fixes depend on two things: number of people affected, AND ease of the fix.
    Or, they have fore knowledge of the defect. You conveniently left that Hypothesis out, you're welcome!
    03-16-19 07:50 PM

Also echoing sentiment,,, I’m sorry about your Dad......
    Thinkbusiness likes this.
    03-16-19 09:00 PM
    Or, they have fore knowledge of the defect. You conveniently left that Hypothesis out, you're welcome!
    No idea what this means.
    03-16-19 09:10 PM
    Also echoing sentiment,,, I’m sorry about your Dad......
    Thanks for the condolences. Also @RK_BB and other forumers... thanks.
    03-17-19 01:12 AM
    Very interested in finding out about the effect of the reboot and the "cleaning" of the keyboard this morning.

Just woke up on this side of the world and the phone was on the charger during the night.

I needed a second swipe in the first sentence, so I immediately rebooted the phone before continuing to type. No more second swipes for the time being.

Paragraph two and three of this message have all been typed without the need for a second swipe.

This leads me to believe that the cleaning and rebooting actually do have an effect.

I just hope that a simple suggestion such as blowing some air into the keyboard will actually effect the swiping success rate for at least some of you so someone can confirm

For the record all sentences of this reply typed after the reboot were flawless. Not a single additional swipe needed.

Very strange. Of course I can't go on rebooting the phone every time the swiping degrades a bit.

I will see how the phone is holding up during the day.
    03-17-19 01:28 AM
    A couple of hours later and I will test the swiping ratio again. Let's see if my theory actually holds up.

First sentence no extra swiping needed and swiped the remainder of every word after typing a few letters

What I do notice is that I needed an extra swipe just now right after using the backspace to delete a mistake.

Hmm also needed extra swiping in these last sentences. I will do the reboot now and continue afterwards.

*reboot *

Okay I'm in right after the reboot. Let's see if the swiping actually is better or not. This first sentence is actually going without any problems. No extra swiping whatsoever.

Let's continue this to see if the reboot actually does make a difference. It would be great to see that it's actually true that a reboot does lead to perfect performance.

Still no extra swiping needed. Remember in the first part of this post it had been a couple of hours since I did a reboot and I have been using BBM and did a Microsoft Teams meeting before posting in this forum.

Still no extra swiping needed. Also did a couple of backspace deletes but no extra swiping needed.

Must be the fact that other applications that are open are interfering with the phone's ability to perform perfect swipe gestures.

Any thoughts guys on my findings? This entire second post reboot section didn't require a single second swipe. The only app I opened after the reboot is the CrackBerry forum. But after the reboot it seems all the other app windows are there. I would have guessed that they would have been closed after a reboot.

Apparently the phone is reopening the app windows that were open before the reboot.

Still no effect on performance it seems. All perfect swiping so far.

Let's see how long this will last.
    Last edited by Thinkbusiness; 03-17-19 at 05:15 AM.
    03-17-19 04:29 AM
    Thanks. Now I know I have got a hardware issue in my thumbs. Need to raise a ticket to God.
    Well.... I am not sure his customer care centre can be helpful. What if he sends you a refurbished finger?? Lol!!!
    Thinkbusiness likes this.
    03-17-19 06:08 AM
    Well.... I am not sure his customer care centre can be helpful. What if he sends you a refurbished finger?? Lol!!!
    I’ll take that as a sign! We’ll know where we stand then from His point of view and from BlackBerry’s
    elfabio80 likes this.
    03-17-19 06:10 AM
    OK so it's been an hour since my last reboot. Let's see if I need second swipes or not.

Omg already in the first sentence I needed a second swipe and also in the second sentence I need a second swipe on some occasions

*reboot*

OK I am back in after a reboot. Let's see if I need second swipes or not. Again no extra swiping needed in the first sentence. Let's continue.

This is starting to look like a pattern. No additional swiping needed whatsoever. I am doing a combination of slow swiping and faster flicks of the thumb. Lots of center words and also consecutive swiping. Never an issue.

In my case this would definitely mean that bad memory management or something is messing up the phone's ability to produce perfect swiping.

I kind of noticed also (but I still need to confirm it) that once I press the side button to lock the phone and pick it back up after a couple of minutes after that, the trouble starts.

Again this entire second section of text after the reboot didn't need a single second swipe.
    Last edited by Thinkbusiness; 03-17-19 at 06:46 AM.
    03-17-19 06:30 AM
    Again three hours have passed without a reboot. Just popped in for a little test of the keyboard and the swiping ratio.

OK needed a second swipe right after I did some backspacing action. Now back on track with currently all swipes picking up correctly.

Let's see what a couple of more hours do impact wise. Since it's a Sunday today there is obviously less activity going on and I am also picking up the phone less frequently. Just needed a second swipe for the last word of the previous sentence. All in all not too bad of a performance.

OK again a second swipe needed in this sentence an for the "this". I even needed a third swipe.

Also the word " third" needed 3 swipes. More and more second swipes needed in these sections.

*reboot *

Jumping in this post immediately after rebooting again and checking out the swiping ratio. For the time being no extra swiping needed and everything gets picked up immediately.

Again using a combination of slower and faster swiping movements together with some backspace action. Not a second swipe in sight! Amazing.

I think that we can safely conclude that the reboot definitely is influencing the success rate of the keyboard gestures being picked up straight away. In this entire section after the reboot not a single additional swipe was needed.

The question of course remains how we can prevent this behavior? How can we make sure the swiping stays consistent like in this entire second section.

Any thoughts?
    Bob80220 likes this.
    03-17-19 10:31 AM
    I have no thoughts @Thinkbusiness unfortunately. I do appreciate all that you are doing going through a host of scenarios trying to nail down what the root cause is. You have certainly put in a tremendous amount of time and effort.

It's apparent that despite all that you have done with your testing and posting your results after making adjustments in typing style, reboots, etc. The PKB sensitivity issue still rears it's ugly head. It's just not right and clearly there is a defect in the design/manufacture of the KEY2's hardware and software in my opinion.

I really don't know what more to say other I am in a continuing state of frustration over this issue. If it wasn't for this PKB sensitivity issue the KEY2 would be a perfect device for me.

Bob
    03-17-19 10:51 AM
    Again three hours have passed without a reboot. Just popped in for a little test of the keyboard and the swiping ratio.

OK needed a second swipe right after I did some backspacing action. Now back on track with currently all swipes picking up correctly.

Let's see what a couple of more hours do impact wise. Since it's a Sunday today there is obviously less activity going on and I am also picking up the phone less frequently. Just needed a second swipe for the last word of the previous sentence. All in all not too bad of a performance.

OK again a second swipe needed in this sentence an for the "this". I even needed a third swipe.

Also the word " third" needed 3 swipes. More and more second swipes needed in these sections.

*reboot *

Jumping in this post immediately after rebooting again and checking out the swiping ratio. For the time being no extra swiping needed and everything gets picked up immediately.

Again using a combination of slower and faster swiping movements together with some backspace action. Not a second swipe in sight! Amazing.

I think that we can safely conclude that the reboot definitely is influencing the success rate of the keyboard gestures being picked up straight away. In this entire section after the reboot not a single additional swipe was needed.

The question of course remains how we can prevent this behavior? How can we make sure the swiping stays consistent like in this entire second section.

Any thoughts?
    I have some thoughts. I am curious if you are changing the way you swipe with more success. Meaning I find it works well and as I use I get a bit morel lazy in my method and then miss words. Not that this should be the case it is an observation I am making on my way phone of using the keyboard. I don't swipe a lot but when I do and it don't go it makes me tinge angry. I certainly have more issue when word is in middle as opposed to sides. I also hate when swiping middle and hit the circle and app disappears. Maybe the more I use it I will improve or frustration will rule. This last sentence worked ok till it quickly dumped words in I had no intention of using. Hmm just when I thought I was getting somewhere it sneaks up. I still feel it has to do with how I rest or reposition phone as I'm going. If I take a break expect strange behavior. But if I expect it it won't do it.

So in the end this phone either hates me or thinks it's funny messing with me.

Blackberry KEY² Silver Edition
    Reg
    03-17-19 10:55 AM
    I have no thoughts @Thinkbusiness unfortunately. I do appreciate all that you are doing going through a host of scenarios trying to nail down what the root cause is. You have certainly put in a tremendous amount of time and effort.

It's apparent that despite all that you have done with your testing and posting your results after making adjustments in typing style, reboots, etc. The PKB sensitivity issue still rears it's ugly head. It's just not right and clearly there is a defect in the design/manufacture of the KEY2's hardware and software in my opinion.

I really don't know what more to say other I am in a continuing state of frustration over this issue. If it wasn't for this PKB sensitivity issue the KEY2 would be a perfect device for me.

Bob
    Couldn't agree more. For me the symbol screen popping up unwanted has vanished almost entirely. Also cursor mode rarely pops up and it can be that it pops up for the right reasons.

I love the Key2 as a device but the idea that I would have to reboot the devices every couple of hours to maintain my perfect swiping ratio is frustrating of course.

Can't really say if this is entirely software or low level driver and software. Any combination is possible IMHO.

For the record : this entire reply was written with a perfect swiping ratio. Great but the trouble is I already know this at some point will degrade and I will need to reboot again to get it.

Bummer
    03-17-19 10:59 AM
    Couldn't agree more. For me the symbol screen popping up unwanted has vanished almost entirely. Also cursor mode rarely pops up and it can be that it pops up for the right reasons.

I love the Key2 as a device but the idea that I would have to reboot the devices every couple of hours to maintain my perfect swiping ratio is frustrating of course.

Can't really say if this is entirely software or low level driver and software. Any combination is possible IMHO.

For the record : this entire reply was written with a perfect swiping ratio. Great but the trouble is I already know this at some point will degrade and I will need to reboot again to get it.

Bummer
    As I have mentioned previously my PKB is very moody it seems on any given day at any given time. That is what is so baffling to me. Sometimes it is completely wonky, other times it is very consistent. I get lulled into a false sense of security... hahaha

I have not received the March update OTA as of yet so I will be curious what I experience after I get it installed. Unfortunately based on your findings, and others, not a resolution sadly.

Thanks again for all your time and efforts... it has been very revealing for me.

Bob
    03-17-19 11:08 AM
    Does not seem to be any change with update. I went and did the no wipe update for fun.

Reg
    03-17-19 11:17 AM
    Does not seem to be any change with update. I went and did the no wipe update for fun.

Reg
    You should do the full wipe. No half work.

Half work didn't improve much. Full wipe did make a difference for me.
    03-17-19 11:55 AM
    I have mentioned this previously... I will use my PRIV, which I had for 3 years before picking up my KEY2, on WiFi to send emails occasionally. The difference is mind bending when it comes to the PKB. I can hammer out emails typing and swiping and it is flawless. That is why when I got my KEY2 I immediately contacted BlackBerry Technical Support because the KEY2 was such an extreme difference with how the PKB behaved when typing and swiping.

The one difference being, is that the PRIV was a BlackBerry manufactured device and the KEY2 is a TCL/BlackBerry Mobile manufactured device. In my opinion, there is obviously a difference in the hardware/software between the 2 coming from 2 different manufacturers.

You can draw your own conclusions... I have.

Bob
    03-17-19 12:10 PM
    I have mentioned this previously... I will use my PRIV, which I had for 3 years before picking up my KEY2, on WiFi to send emails occasionally. The difference is mind bending when it comes to the PKB. I can hammer out emails typing and swiping and it is flawless. That is why when I got my KEY2 I immediately contacted BlackBerry Technical Support because the KEY2 was such an extreme difference with how the PKB behaved when typing and swiping.

The one difference being, is that the PRIV was a BlackBerry manufactured device and the KEY2 is a TCL/BlackBerry Mobile manufactured device. In my opinion, there is obviously a difference in the hardware/software between the 2 coming from 2 different manufacturers.

You can draw your own conclusions... I have.

Bob
    You're right. But apparently they were able to pull it off with the KEYOne. I also don't understand why they weren't able to keep the consistency going.

PRIV doesn't have the Oreo OS I guess? Could this be the reason?

Could I install Nougat on the Key2 and check? Would that be an idea to rule out some things?
    03-17-19 12:33 PM
    You're right. But apparently they were able to pull it off with the KEYOne. I also don't understand why they weren't able to keep the consistency going.

Could I install Nougat on the Key2 and check? Would that be an idea to rule out some things?
    No you can't put Nougat on the K2.
    And K1 under Oreo doesn't seems to suffer from that annoyance...
    03-17-19 01:03 PM

Therein lies the mystery... what changed with the KEY2's PKB hardware and or software from the KEYone?

One would think if the KEYone didn't suffer from the PKB sensitivity issue the KEY2 wouldn't... but unfortunately it does. So something was obviously changed in the hardware or software.

Only TCL/BlackBerry Mobile has the answer to that question it appears.

Bob
    03-17-19 02:46 PM
    Therein lies the mystery... what changed with the KEY2's PKB hardware and or software from the KEYone?

One would think if the KEYone didn't suffer from the PKB sensitivity issue the KEY2 wouldn't... but unfortunately it does. So something was obviously changed in the hardware or software.

Only TCL/BlackBerry Mobile has the answer to that question it appears.

Bob
    And the answer will not be revealed to us. I doubt we will ever be given the reason why.
    03-18-19 05:29 AM
    And the answer will not be revealed to us. I doubt we will ever be given the reason why.
    I have also raised a ticket. The customer care representative. Here is their first response

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Mobile support.
    We will be pleased to assist you with the suggested words swipe issue. We currently have an open ticket for this problem with ourvTier 3 department and is being looked into

To be continued
    03-18-19 05:35 AM
2,521 ... 9394959697 ...